2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Overspeed Training is working!

Hondabuff

Two days off and back to the overspeed training. Results blew my mind!! First swing with the super light club and hit 167 and the speeds just went up. Peaked at 171mph. Picked up the blue club and peak of 124 before I started coming back down. 114-118 was the average after the peak. Crazy stuff!

IMG_4127.jpgphoto sharing

That's fantastic. You're sticking with the program, that's half the battle.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to keep going until I find my ceiling doing the system. So in 8 weeks my driver went from 103-105mph up to 114-118mph. I'm not really seeing any significant club speed gains in my irons though. 6 iron was around 87mph to start and I don't think I have ever seen it break 90 yet on the radar even though I have seen some higher ball speeds. looking back at launch monitor data I'm seeing two distinct patterns of ball speed. A 107-108 range and a jump to 114-116mph ball speed with a 7 iron. Its about a 20 yard range gap. I will have to wait until the grass range opens up and recheck my yardages. I seem to have this weird high gear / low gear thing going on and not sure what to make of it yet.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Anyone using nuts and lots of duct tape on old shafts?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Washers, epoxy and tape. 180, 200, 220 grams total weight with old shafts lying around collecting spider webs. Daily use but just day 3. $20.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Washers, epoxy and tape. 180, 200, 220 grams total weight with old shafts lying around collecting spider webs. Daily use but just day 3. $20.

Likely going to go that route. If I don't stick with it, nothing lost.

What criteria are you guys using to pick your weights?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Some thoughts for you guys looking to build a set. I would build 2 clubs. One that weighs almost the same as you current driver and one with 50 grams of weight. I currently have 5 Rocket Shafts with no weight, 50/100/200/250 weights. I have doing some testing when I first start my workout. I pretend that Im going straight from the car to the tee box like I normally do in my league. Couple warm up stretch swings and check the radar. 108-110 with a cold swing. I tried a couple of next steps to accelerate the next step in speed and it seems like a couple swings of the 50gr club gets me up to speed the fastest. Today I tried the 50gr club first then the blue 200 and speeds were 114-118mph with minimal warmup.. I really think a 2 club system is the way to go and fogo the heavy club. All it does it make your swing long and hurt your wrists and fingers.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

• 3 weeks later...

So Im still at it and oleased to say I am now swinging the Red 365 gram club the same as my current driver. 110-113 seems to be the norm that Im hitting with it. My blue 315 club Im now in the low 120's. I was at the range last night and was just smashing the ball. Our range lasers 290 yards to the base and about 5% down grade and I was carrying the ball about 30' up into the netting. Pretty cool to setup in a stall next to some younger guys and the ES12 is calling out 305's and 307's. The most rewarding part of the overspeed training is the cleaning up of all the wasted motion. My swing looks slower on video swinging at 120mph then when I first started the program and was only 103-105mph. Your muscles learn how to stabilize your body by doing the opposite side training. Just effortless power now.

Video of the Red Heavy club and Blue

http://sendvid.com/7t11e4j7

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Strangely I hit my 7 iron about 118 mph ball speed, but my driver swing speed is only 105 or so. Guess I should get on the program! I've noticed I can up the speed a couple MPH to 106 or so if I swing harder a little. Strange thing is the harder I swing the straighter it goes sometimes.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Strangely I hit my 7 iron about 118 mph ball speed, but my driver swing speed is only 105 or so. Guess I should get on the program! I've noticed I can up the speed a couple MPH to 106 or so if I swing harder a little. Strange thing is the harder I swing the straighter it goes sometimes.

That's really good numbers from a 7 iron. My launch monitor data I have 2 distinct distances with my irons which I find odd. My 7 iron for example has a ton of shots at 109-110mph ball speeds and 116-117 mph ball speeds and hardly anything in between. I have a Hate/Love/Hate relationship with my AP2's and might ditch the Tour V's.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

That's funny cuz I play ap2s as well. I'm not super consistent but it's mostly 115 to 118 once I learned to use my hips more. When I was doing a more armsy swing I would hit 118 maybe 1 out of five times. I find it slows down too when I lose confidence and try to control the club. My irons up to hybrids seem to go pretty far but not my driver (even just club head speed). Oh well. Always more to improve!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I'm going to keep going until I find my ceiling doing the system. So in 8 weeks my driver went from 103-105mph up to 114-118mph. I'm not really seeing any significant club speed gains in my irons though. 6 iron was around 87mph to start and I don't think I have ever seen it break 90 yet on the radar even though I have seen some higher ball speeds. looking back at launch monitor data I'm seeing two distinct patterns of ball speed. A 107-108 range and a jump to 114-116mph ball speed with a 7 iron. Its about a 20 yard range gap. I will have to wait until the grass range opens up and recheck my yardages. I seem to have this weird high gear / low gear thing going on and not sure what to make of it yet.

Hondabuff, how often do you do these workouts?

I'm only doing it 2-3 times a week now. Takes about 15-20 minutes to do. I find its pretty useless to do after a normal weight training workout since you are fatigued. I was around 4 Days a week doing it when I first started but you do get pretty sore doing it. Now its just a matter of maintaining the speeds.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I'm only doing it 2-3 times a week now. Takes about 15-20 minutes to do. I find its pretty useless to do after a normal weight training workout since you are fatigued. I was around 4 Days a week doing it when I first started but you do get pretty sore doing it. Now its just a matter of maintaining the speeds.

Agreed. 2-3 times a week is perfect. Sometimes I find it best to have more than one day in between sessions. I'd rather be fresh and get high numbers than fall into swinging "hard" struggling to meet my numbers from last session...

As Hondabuff has stated before...if you're swinging sluggish and/or slow...JUST STOP.

I am in this 6 weeks now went from 105mph now to 111mph consistently. Doing it 3 days week but still on "INTRO STAGE" 3 reps then 3 reps doing the "STEP" drill then finish 5 hard swings with the light club to finish. Are you guys above doing the drill from the knees yet?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

I am in this 6 weeks now went from 105mph now to 111mph consistently. Doing it 3 days week but still on "INTRO STAGE" 3 reps then 3 reps doing the "STEP" drill then finish 5 hard swings with the light club to finish. Are you guys above doing the drill from the knees yet?

Are you guys swinging as hard a s you can almost losing balance? I do but still having hard time swinging non dom side...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

Are you guys swinging as hard a s you can almost losing balance? I do but still having hard time swinging non dom side...

Never swing "hard". That's why most golfers don't have distance. Make sure you swing "fast".

Never lose balance. Always stay in control. Remember, it's a process. Speed increases won't happen in a day or even a week. Looks like you've already had phenomenal gains. 105 to 111 is huge. Keep it up.

I tried one time swinging from my knees with a towel and was like nope! Maybe you do need one of those yoga mats to be comfortable when you do the drill. Working with the Tour Striker Ball "I can not give a thumbs up or down" but when I do some drills with it I notice I squeeze my elbows together and my speed will increase by 3-4mphs. Might be something to try next time. Eventually all the body sway you had when you first started the routine goes away. Fast while maintaining balance is the key. Eventually your body figures it out. Now that I have gotten stronger I really enjoy the Red Heavy club, I felt like once I was finally able to swing that 365gr club with stability my balance was smooth with the other clubs and the effortless power was there to stay.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I have done this overspeed training before, and I gained 14 mph on my driver. It was a different program than this one, but the same idea. It involved swinging really hard (fast). However when I got on the course, I found I had the speed without having to swing hard.

I have been doing a mix of my old program and this new one. I like the new one because I can do it anywhere. But last night I played 9 from our back tees. I was just roasting the ball (for me), and ended up in places down the fairway that I hadn't been in a looooooong time.

Just started this last night with a light head and regular head interchangeable shaft. Knees, regular swrings, and step swings with both weights L & R. I was a little sore this morning. I make sure for the regular and step through swings, i'm trying to hit a foam ball on a tee so it's as close to real golf as possible.

One question ... anyone notice the SSRadar is pretty good with drivers/fairway woods but really out of wack with irons? It reads 4-5 mph high consistently compared to trackman for me with woods but is all over the map with irons.

Just started this last night with a light head and regular head interchangeable shaft. Knees, regular swrings, and step swings with both weights L & R. I was a little sore this morning. I make sure for the regular and step through swings, i'm trying to hit a foam ball on a tee so it's as close to real golf as possible.

One question ... anyone notice the SSRadar is pretty good with drivers/fairway woods but really out of wack with irons? It reads 4-5 mph high consistently compared to trackman for me with woods but is all over the map with irons.

Interesting. Can you explain?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Interesting. Can you explain?

With woods I'll get something like 105 with TM and 109 or 110 on the SSR very consistently.

When I hit a 7 iron it'll jump around from 88 to 78 to 110 back to 92. All over the place.

I compared my SSR to Trackman a few different times last year. I checked it twice with a newer model of Trackman and it read fairly consistently 4 mph faster. However I was trying it again on the first trackman model and this version of Trackman, (the big boxy one) seemed to give me a very low swing speed compared tot the newer version. I had my SSR radar and it was the same as ever (111-116 avg) but it was reading 7mph faster than the boxy Trackman.

As for the irons it s abit of a disaster. Sometimes it seems to give a realistic number then other times extrememy high or extremely low. Its a waste of time for irons.

Played this morning and first few holes I was hitting the fairways in my normal landing spots. I was really just focused on getting away from the club hose so I can start testing a little more. This the first time I felt like I was really commanding my Tour V's. I was really hoping the Pro Shop had the new Pro V1's to test but had to settle on the 15 ProV1x. I put the ES12 down and hit a few monsters that were 275 carry. Lost two balls in the fairway due to landing angle of the ball. I can tell I'm launching the X a little high but had some great carry distances. One of our holes plays 340 dogleg right and you can hit the green with a 260 carry. Hit my 3w first and put a ball in the bunker in front of the green. Pulled the driver and put the ball into the pine trees on the back side of the green. I was able to get up and down with both shots for 2 birdies. It's super cool having an extra gear that I didn't have last year. Felt good to get out on the course and actually play instead Of just swing as hard as I can in my driveway. I got grooved in swinging full bore that it felt strange to hit 3/4 and 1/2 shots again. Looks like it's going to be a promising year. My big battle now is if I want to use my Laser or GPS.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6