2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MEMBER TESTING: 2017 TaylorMade M1 Driver Reviews

Finally got into a LM today and my thoughts from the range were verified by the LM at Golf Galaxy. Some of the balls I'm hitting are launching around 15* with a spin rate of 1,500ish. I think if I add some weight to the head, I can get the spin rate up a bit and also get the swingweight where I want it.

Nothing is safe in my bag!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my misses with the 440 head have been more playable than I expected. that's probably the best part of this head in my opinion.

sidebar; i actually knocked loft down one tick (i think a half degree), but put the weight all the way back and have been pleased with the results rather than going with loft up and moving weight forward.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I've got to figure out how to get a boost in spin and bring launch down a touch. How the hell does that happen?!

Check your sliding weights. On mine the front-back weight was heavier than the heel-toe. Try swapping them if this is the case.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

How do you like the hazrdus red? I'm curious on whether it is tip stiff enough for a hard transition hitter like me. I have figured out the heads in the last two years are s low spin I can't procure my normal 8.5 low launch low spin setup.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I hit the m1 440 with mid launch kuro kage stiff today. Was the only option available at golf town. Beautiful head but launched really low. Very forgiving however. Need to figure out shift and likely to go with a 10.5 degree he. This will be a first for the afternoon ears of 8.5s

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

How was the tour ad tp for you? Big difference versus the Rouge 60x I would think?

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

All of my misses with the 440 have been low cuts. I've had multiple run out past 300 on balls I thought were just trash, which isn't to say that I'm bombing the golf ball, but more so that the spin isn't going crazy on off center hits and when the swing isn't awful it gives the club a chance to do what it was built to do.

When you mishit the club you immediately think, "man that's not good at all", because it honestly just doesn't give you that sensation that a forgiving driver like the M2 or even Epic gives you at contact when you miss the center. However, when you start making your way down the hole you begin to see that you've ended up about where you would be had you hit it on the nose. I'm extremely impressed with the overall forgiveness of the club from a numbers standpoint more so than the feel.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I've got to figure out how to get a boost in spin and bring launch down a touch. How the hell does that happen?!

ha...we need to trade shafts or something. i need more launch and less spin.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

All of my misses with the 440 have been low cuts. I've had multiple run out past 300 on balls I thought were just trash, which isn't to say that I'm bombing the golf ball, but more so that the spin isn't going crazy on off center hits and when the swing isn't awful it gives the club a chance to do what it was built to do.

When you mishit the club you immediately think, "man that's not good at all", because it honestly just doesn't give you that sensation that a forgiving driver like the M2 or even Epic gives you at contact when you miss the center. However, when you start making your way down the hole you begin to see that you've ended up about where you would be had you hit it on the nose. I'm extremely impressed with the overall forgiveness of the club from a numbers standpoint more so than the feel.

I had a low cut that ended up at 304 on Sunday. It was my longest of the day but I swung it awful all day from driver to wedge. I'm blaming it on the mid 50's temps I played in.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

How was the tour ad tp for you? Big difference versus the Rouge 60x I would think?

If you were asking me this, I don't have a great comparison yet so I don't want to pass too much judgement but I'm actually preferring the Rogue right now. The AD TP feels great and is very smooth but, so is the Rogue, for me anyway. I really need to get this head dialed in on a launch monitor (which unfortunately will not be until Feb. 11). I'm launching this thing sky high and still getting decent distance. The AD TP seems like a great shaft just may not be the correct shaft for me. I will definitely keep this updated as soon as I get on Trackman and see some numbers and can compare directly with some other shafts.

TM Stealth2+ - Diamana S+ 6x
17' TM M2 15* 3 wood - Tensei Blue 7x
Nike VR Forged Combo 3-PW - Hard stepped Project X 6.0
TM MG Wedges - 52, 58
Custom Nike Oven Method 006, Toulon Las Vegas

I had a low cut that ended up at 304 on Sunday. It was my longest of the day but I swung it awful all day from driver to wedge. I'm blaming it on the mid 50's temps I played in.

Mid-50's temps? Welcome to my year-round weather.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Mid-50's temps? Welcome to my year-round weather.

Yeah, I'm not built for these low temps any more and it didn't help that I decided to wear shorts. You would think that I would be ok with it since I am originally from Snowhio.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Just got some more range time with my set up today, only with some tape added to the head. Wow, what a difference. I'm getting very close to this going in my bag.

Were are you sticking the lead tape? I tried a bunch of weight just above the front-back weight. For me it resulted in high and spinny fade/slices.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Nice. I have the regular stuff. It doesn't stick very well on the track area or the weights either. Only the glossy carbon fiber section.

http://www.golfworks.com/lead-foil-tape/p/LT100/

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

If you were asking me this, I don't have a great comparison yet so I don't want to pass too much judgement but I'm actually preferring the Rogue right now. The AD TP feels great and is very smooth but, so is the Rogue, for me anyway. I really need to get this head dialed in on a launch monitor (which unfortunately will not be until Feb. 11). I'm launching this thing sky high and still getting decent distance. The AD TP seems like a great shaft just may not be the correct shaft for me. I will definitely keep this updated as soon as I get on Trackman and see some numbers and can compare directly with some other shafts.

I am likely leaning to buy your exact club. I am hoping for higher flight.

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I've hit the 460 outdoors once. I noticed that if you placed the weight all the way back, the ball flight tended to balloon a little too much. when I moved the weight back to the Neutral position, then the ball flight was a little flatter and closer to the flight of the 16 model with the weight all the way back. The 17 model appears to be less fade Biased than the 16 model, and not as draw biased as the Sldr. Any of the testers find the same things?

i never hit the 16 M series, but it seems that i do have to work harder to turn it over than i did with the flex. i started hitting it side by side against the epic/917 d3 last night, and i would tend to agree it's more fade biased compared to those as well. but at this point i've only hit about 15 balls with the others.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I am likely leaning to buy your exact club. I am hoping for higher flight.

I've got the TP shaft as well and am very pleased with it. Feel is quite similar for me to the DI, but much lower spin for me.

Nothing is safe in my bag!

"I swung it awful all day". "Im blaming it on the temperature". Okaaaaaay come play some golf in ireland

Well, order is in. 10.5 440 with tp6x

Rife Phenom.Z 34”