2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MEMBER TESTING: 2017 TaylorMade M1 Driver Reviews

H2B did you put the hotmelt in yourself or have someone do it?

i'm debating ordering a hotmelt gun for home shop use.

Had some one else do it (Will Peoples). I don't trust myself to get the location exactly right.

Easiest way is to add lead tape and dial in your weight then once you know what feels good get the weight added in hotmelt. Lead tape is terrible long term. If anyone needs REAL hotmelt added to a head lmk i can take care of you. Just pm me.

On another note love hearing the info the M series is certainly a top performer in my testing.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what it is with this head but I can't keep the ball in the air. I have the swing speed to support it at 110-113 but my ball flight is really bad. It's so bad that I inspected it closely for cracks but didn't see anything.

I was just giving it some thought and I wonder if my weight setup is causing the COG to be too far forward. The high/low weights are at 7 grams with the screw (5 grams less than what it's supposed to be) and the draw/fade weight is at 14g. I think I will try flipping the weights around and put the heavy weight in the high/low track and the light weight up front.

It's worth a shot!

I was going to try this also, but my weights both weigh 11 grams each. So that blows that plan. I'm most likely going to switch or try a different shaft...

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Is anyone else finding high toe strikes to be super low spin and unforgiving? My 917D3 responds much better to this type of strike. Heel strikes aren't as bad as they were with the 2016 M1.

I don't know what it is with this head but I can't keep the ball in the air. I have the swing speed to support it at 110-113 but my ball flight is really bad. It's so bad that I inspected it closely for cracks but didn't see anything.

I was just giving it some thought and I wonder if my weight setup is causing the COG to be too far forward. The high/low weights are at 7 grams with the screw (5 grams less than what it's supposed to be) and the draw/fade weight is at 14g. I think I will try flipping the weights around and put the heavy weight in the high/low track and the light weight up front.

It's worth a shot!

I went back to the range this evening with the Fujikura Pro and the Tensei was definitely the issue. I didn't see any of those really low spinning shots with this combo.

I also tinkered with moving the heavier weight from the draw/fade track to the high/low and the lighter weight up front and I saw a higher ball flight. I will get some numbers during my Trackman session next week to see how much this changes launch and spin.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

it's starting to be nice enough outside to play some semi-real golf (we're still on temporary greens for a few more days) and i continue to be impressed with this driver.

i still haven't seen one really balloon on me, and as its warming up i'm liking the feel and flight of this more and more. i've had drives i thought were total trash, but then i find them right next to where a playing partner dotted his drive and about 15yds past where i'd expect my crappy swing to be. i played 18 yesterday and with the weight one tick to the draw side i was still able to move shots in both directions.

hopefully, my swing has gotten better from all the offseason work, but i also continue to find drives past where i'd expect to see them on both good swings and bad, especially when into the wind. most importantly, i haven't hit a drive into the gunch in seemingly quite a while, which is for sure my #1 source of big scores.

playing the first real round of the year on real greens with real money on the line on Wed. i feel pretty confident with this setup.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

it's starting to be nice enough outside to play some semi-real golf (we're still on temporary greens for a few more days) and i continue to be impressed with this driver.

i still haven't seen one really balloon on me, and as its warming up i'm liking the feel and flight of this more and more. i've had drives i thought were total trash, but then i find them right next to where a playing partner dotted his drive and about 15yds past where i'd expect my crappy swing to be. i played 18 yesterday and with the weight one tick to the draw side i was still able to move shots in both directions.

hopefully, my swing has gotten better from all the offseason work, but i also continue to find drives past where i'd expect to see them on both good swings and bad, especially when into the wind. most importantly, i haven't hit a drive into the gunch in seemingly quite a while, which is for sure my #1 source of big scores.

playing the first real round of the year on real greens with real money on the line on Wed. i feel pretty confident with this setup.

This is my story as well. Seeing nuclear balls on centered hits, and constantly finding balls way down range when they should seemingly be 15-20 yards shorter. I haven't hit a hook since i've brought this club on the course, which was occurring at least 2-4 times a round and often ended up in OB or Laterals just killing my rounds.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

So I weighed my head finally last night. With all weights plus the hosel screw, I got 191g. This compares to 199g in my Fly Z. I'm not sure 100% but I'd wager with my 65g shaft in my Fly z, I'm swinging around a D3. The M1 to ME, with the 75g shaft feels closer to D1 or even D0. Strike is all over the place on the face, I'm still inconsistent.

I wanted to keep the head in pristine shape but I may have no choice but to add lead tape to get it up around 200g or so because I've got no word on when replacement weights are coming out. I want to love this driver... So many guys are getting insane numbers with it and I think I could, too, once I can get it dialed in.

I also went ahead and purchased 2 more shafts; Both Matrix RUL's (like in my 3w, love it) 70S and 70x. If getting the head up to 200g or so plus one of these shafts doesn't produce better numbers, I think I'll have to concede and say the M1 just isn't for me.

So I weighed my head finally last night. With all weights plus the hosel screw, I got 191g. This compares to 199g in my Fly Z. I'm not sure 100% but I'd wager with my 65g shaft in my Fly z, I'm swinging around a D3. The M1 to ME, with the 75g shaft feels closer to D1 or even D0. Strike is all over the place on the face, I'm still inconsistent.

I wanted to keep the head in pristine shape but I may have no choice but to add lead tape to get it up around 200g or so because I've got no word on when replacement weights are coming out. I want to love this driver... So many guys are getting insane numbers with it and I think I could, too, once I can get it dialed in.

I also went ahead and purchased 2 more shafts; Both Matrix RUL's (like in my 3w, love it) 70S and 70x. If getting the head up to 200g or so plus one of these shafts doesn't produce better numbers, I think I'll have to concede and say the M1 just isn't for me.

I can't believe that the head weight is so inconsistent with the M1. Did you weigh the head without weights? Mine weighed 174 without weights. The club is advertised as having 27g of movable weight. 15 in the front track and 12 in the back. Mine has 14 in the front and 7 in the back.

I sent an email to billybobsgolf and they expect to have weights for the 2017 M1 available in the next couple of weeks.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I can't believe that the head weight is so inconsistent with the M1. Did you weigh the head without weights? Mine weighed 174 without weights. The club is advertised as having 27g of movable weight. 15 in the front track and 12 in the back. Mine has 14 in the front and 7 in the back.

I sent an email to billybobsgolf and they expect to have weights for the 2017 M1 available in the next couple of weeks.

I didn't weigh the weights themselves because I was more concerned with total head weight for the moment. Good to know he's getting replacements in soon though.

I'd still need to potentially add lead tape if my weights were similar to yours. Did he say the sizes he'll have available? If my head is under weight I'll need something like 16 and 13, etc.

I didn't weigh the weights themselves because I was more concerned with total head weight for the moment. Good to know he's getting replacements in soon though.

I'd still need to potentially add lead tape if my weights were similar to yours. Did he say the sizes he'll have available? If my head is under weight I'll need something like 16 and 13, etc.

I have 5g of lead tape for now to get my head weight up to 200g but found a guy on here who was looking for a lighter weight so we are trading. I should be at around 201/202g once I get his weight.

I didn't ask what weights he would have available but for the 2016 M1 he has from 5g-13g in 2g increments.

I see. If I have 14 and 7 like you I may need to get a 13 for the front track and then add a little bit of lead. Thanks for the info.

Keep in mind that there are 3 pcs. to this. The black weight, the silver "base weight" and the screw. If we are just talking about the black weights, mine are 11g and 4g. The base weights are 2g and the screw is 1g.

So is Bob selling the "Base weight" or the black part? Makes more sense if he's selling the base.

In the 2016 M1, the red and black pieces were just caps and the actual weight was the base weight. Not sure how the 2017 weights will be sold.

FWIW, my head also weighs 174g and my sliding weights are almost the same as yours. Makes me want to beleive TM is installing different weights based on the shaft so that all clubs measure D4-ish on the SW scale. While well intended, SW matching obviously has nothing to do with how a club actually feels. SW is not the same thing as MOI.

Can't wait to see what Billy Bob has to offer.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

FWIW, my head also weighs 174g and my sliding weights are almost the same as yours. Makes me want to beleive TM is installing different weights based on the shaft so that all clubs measure D4-ish on the SW scale. While well intended, SW matching obviously has nothing to do with how a club actually feels. SW is not the same thing as MOI.

This is exactly what they are doing I believe.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I can tell you that D4 in this club doesn't feel like D4 in the SZ. Comparing the 70g Rogue Max which I assume is close to D3/D4 to the M1... M1 feels more like D0/1 to me. Perhaps a more tip soft shaft or a shaft that kicks a little closer to the tip side will help this? I should be getting in my Matrix RUL shafts by the weekend.

Had my second round with the 440 M1 and the 2017 M1 3 wood yesterday...I cant believe these clubs are legal. Coming from the 430 SLDR....the driver is 15-20 yards longer for me. I will say that you have to find the right setting to make this club perform. Round 1 I had the face setting at full fade (just like my SLDR) and left the CG setting in the middle or neutral. While it performed, the whole round I thought I made a mistake. Hated the sound and feel. Round 2 I put the face setting back to neutral and the CG setting to the lowest.....OMG....feel, sound and distance OMG....I will be honest and say the club is louder than the SLDR...but man this thing performs....

TM Qi10 LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6x- Velocore
TM Stealth+ 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM 23' P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G 

Had my second round with the 440 M1 and the 2017 M1 3 wood yesterday...I cant believe these clubs are legal. Coming from the 430 SLDR....the driver is 15-20 yards longer for me. I will say that you have to find the right setting to make this club perform. Round 1 I had the face setting at full fade (just like my SLDR) and left the CG setting in the middle or neutral. While it performed, the whole round I thought I made a mistake. Hated the sound and feel. Round 2 I put the face setting back to neutral and the CG setting to the lowest.....OMG....feel, sound and distance OMG....I will be honest and say the club is louder than the SLDR...but man this thing performs....

That's good to hear. I'm still trying to find the magic in mine. Coming from a Titleist D4 this is very different feeling. I'm still searching for the right shaft and club head settings. I've read too many good things about this driver to give up, yet.

That's good to hear. I'm still trying to find the magic in mine. Coming from a Titleist D4 this is very different feeling. I'm still searching for the right shaft and club head settings. I've read too many good things about this driver to give up, yet.

I completely get when you say it's a different feeling. You will find a setting that you'll like/love however it won't be "that feeling" you are use to or exactly looking for. To keep up with my buddies I am giving up feel/sound for all out performance. And I must say......I am happy as sh!t !!!!!

Good luck.

TM Qi10 LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6x- Velocore
TM Stealth+ 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM 23' P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G 

Just another update on my experience with the 2017 M1 440 after several more rounds and range time.

I continue to be amazed by this driver. I even tried the 2017 460 briefly and I much prefer the 440.

I find it no less forgiving than last year's 460 model and considerably longer for me. The head shape at address inspires confidence for me and I've continued to hit tons of fairways at distances I'm not used to being at.

The feel and sound is perfect to me. They absolutely nailed it with this driver!!

Nothing is safe in my bag!

Have an M1 head headed my way. The information in this thread has been very helpful in narrowing down all the options. Going to match it up with the a GP TP-6. Should have all together next week.

Again thanks to all in this thread. And GolfWRX and TM for feeding us nerds ?

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Footjoy, I am trying to figure out if TM tipped my shaft again for the 2nd year in a row. Order went in at 1 inch soft, came back as "standard". Any way you can measure from the bottom of the 1st ring to the TM adapter tip (right at the end) for me? Right now I'm at 24.25 inches.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Just another update on my experience with the 2017 M1 440 after several more rounds and range time.

I continue to be amazed by this driver. I even tried the 2017 460 briefly and I much prefer the 440.

I find it no less forgiving than last year's 460 model and considerably longer for me. The head shape at address inspires confidence for me and I've continued to hit tons of fairways at distances I'm not used to being at.

The feel and sound is perfect to me. They absolutely nailed it with this driver!!

Wait sorry, my apologies, this question with the tipping was supposed to be directed at davo32683 (or any other GD TP shaft owners). Thank you!!

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Footjoy, I am trying to figure out if TM tipped my shaft again for the 2nd year in a row. Order went in at 1 inch soft, came back as "standard". Any way you can measure from the bottom of the 1st ring to the TM adapter tip (right at the end) for me? Right now I'm at 24.25 inches.

Mine is also 24.25 to the end of the adapter tip. Mine was ordered standard. This was my TP measurement from Taylor made.

I'm trying the GP in the driver right now.

The way I understand it, TM tips all the shafts 1'' as a regular practice. If you asked for 1'' soft, they would not have tipped at all.. So standard should be correct.

They kind of screwed all of us by tipping because so far most people are reporting the M1 head to be somewhere between 6-10 grams too light. I couldn't load the Black Tie to save my life, even swinging 112.

The way I understand it, TM tips all the shafts 1'' as a regular practice. If you asked for 1'' soft, they would not have tipped at all.. So standard should be correct.

They kind of screwed all of us by tipping because so far most people are reporting the M1 head to be somewhere between 6-10 grams too light. I couldn't load the Black Tie to save my life, even swinging 112.

I was on the phone with TM in Carlsbad Wednesday ordering an M1 460 with GD Tour AD TP6 -X. I asked him about the tipping, and he said 1/2" tipping is standard. So the 1" soft means no tipping he said this is backwards. If I order it that way would have been tipped 1-1/2", so be careful. No tipping he said ask for raw length, so that's how I ordered it. Ordered it through Golf Mart San Diego, tried to explain to them the tipping, it got so confusing he just called TM Carlsbad and let me speak directly to them. Great service !

Good to know the proper term would then be "raw length". I ordered mine with " no tip trimming" but I'm about 99% sure they gave me at least 1/2'' tip trim. I ordered the 60m4... Anybody know the tip to graphic lengths? From the TM adapter tip to the X in the XS logo, I got 17 3/4'' . Shaft was way too stout so now I'm playing an Aldila Rogue instead.

Mine is also 24.25 to the end of the adapter tip. Mine was ordered standard. This was my TP measurement from Taylor made.

So I'm sending mine back and I hope that all others will follow. I really like Taylor Made as a company but how could they have such an utter confusing process for this when all the other OEM's do not?? I'm going to start a separate thread about this.

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

So I'm sending mine back and I hope that all others will follow. I really like Taylor Made as a company but how could they have such an utter confusing process for this when all the other OEM's do not?? I'm going to start a separate thread about this.

Agree they need to fix the website so it's perfectly clear. I'm still a little concerned mine is going to come tipped. He insisted that standard is 1/2" tipping. Raw length is no tipping, hell maybe no cutting at all. I may even get a 47" driver ! That would actually be ok. Then I can trim it from each end how I want. After all I ordered this shaft blind without ever hitting it. Maybe I actually need 1/2" tipping I have no idea.