2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Central FL Trip - Thoughts Please

05LMBVette

I'm taking a trip to central Florida for business in May... the business end of the trip is from Tuesday - Friday, but I'm planning to fly in the Saturday beforehand and fly out on Friday. Below is my tentative schedule (tentative because I can't make advanced tee time reservations yet)..... Let me know what you think and if there's a better alternative for any given round......

Saturday - fly into MCO and arrive at 9am... drive to World Woods and play Rolling Oaks

Sunday - play World Woods Pine Barrens in the morning and drive south in the afternoon - hotel stay in Bowling Green, FL (confirmed)

Monday - walk BOTH the Red and Blue courses at Streamsong - any suggestions on which I should play first?

*spending Monday - Thursday evenings at Bay Hill

Tuesday - work

Wednesday - will probably try to play a late afternoon (4pm or so) round on one of the courses in Orlando - i never come to Orlando without playing Orange County National, so I'm not sure if I'll go there or somewhere else (possibly Southern Dunes)

Thursday - work should end in the early afternoon, so I'm shooting for a round at Bay Hill

What stinks is that I can't schedule Streamsong until 45 days out - which leaves me waiting in anticipation as to whether or not I can make that work..... World Woods takes reservations 60 days out, so i'll be able to nail those down soon.

I'm interested in people's thoughts.... I'm super excited! I'm just hoping I'll have gotten in a few rounds by then - the weather in upstate-NY can be unpredictable.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm taking a trip to central Florida for business in May... the business end of the trip is from Tuesday - Friday, but I'm planning to fly in the Saturday beforehand and fly out on Friday. Below is my tentative schedule (tentative because I can't make advanced tee time reservations yet)..... Let me know what you think and if there's a better alternative for any given round......

Saturday - fly into MCO and arrive at 9am... drive to World Woods and play Rolling Oaks

Sunday - play World Woods Pine Barrens in the morning and drive south in the afternoon - hotel stay in Bowling Green, FL (confirmed)

Monday - walk BOTH the Red and Blue courses at Streamsong - any suggestions on which I should play first?

Tuesday - work

Wednesday - will probably try to play a late afternoon (4pm or so) round on one of the courses in Orlando - i never come to Orlando without playing Orange County National, so I'm not sure if I'll go there or somewhere else (possibly Southern Dunes)

Thursday - work should end in the early afternoon, so I'm shooting for a round at Bay Hill

What stinks is that I can't schedule Streamsong until 45 days out - which leaves me waiting in anticipation as to whether or not I can make that work..... World Woods takes reservations 60 days out, so i'll be able to nail those down soon.

I'm interested in people's thoughts.... I'm super excited! I'm just hoping I'll have gotten in a few rounds by then - the weather in upstate-NY can be unpredictable.

Thanks in advance

I called to reserve a tee time 45 days out and had my pick of times... they did make me go off the red in the a.m. because they were closing it down in the afternoon for maintenance. Shouldn't have a problem.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Any chance of flying into Tampa? Orlando (MCO) you're looking at a 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hour trip. Tampa International is an hour max.

I don't think I can... First, already have flights, and its corporate paid, so don't need someone hot on my tail... Second, a rental car picked up in Tampa and dropped off in Orlando is significantly more expensive than MCO -> MCO.... And again, since it's a corporate paid thing, I'm going to have to just make it a little inconvenient for myself... No big deal... I do a 5 hour trip down and back to see my son every other weekend, so a little drive is no big deal

Tuesday - work

Thanks in advance

I called to reserve a tee time 45 days out and had my pick of times... they did make me go off the red in the a.m. because they were closing it down in the afternoon for maintenance. Shouldn't have a problem.

great, thanks!

honestly I'd just stay on property at streamsong for 2 days. That way you don't have to drive from world woods to streamsong.

I really think you have to play red 2 or 3 times to "get it". And if you don't then there's plenty of options east of bradenton area which is essentially where streamsong is located.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

honestly I'd just stay on property at streamsong for 2 days. That way you don't have to drive from world woods to streamsong.

I really think you have to play red 2 or 3 times to "get it". And if you don't then there's plenty of options east of bradenton area which is essentially where streamsong is located.

Thanks for your thoughts - I would love to stay and play Streamsong multiple times, but I'm already spending more than enough $$ on this trip - i don't think my other half would love it if I were to go and double my golf expenditures! haha....

This is a very good trip planned, although I think I would be exhausted. Flying into Tampa would be better since it's much closer to World Woods and about the same distance to Streamsong.

Personally, I think if WW is in good condition, it competes right with Streamsong in terms of course routing. WW is a little more hectic because it's more affordable, but Streamsong has its fair share of hackers that have little business being on the course.

Make sure you have a GPS to get to Streamsong...out in the middle of nowhere and quite confusing roads to get there (although I think it's easier to get to from Tampa).

I would probably try and get out to Southern Dunes if you're playing around 4pm. OCN you never know what you're going to get for pace of play and I would bet that Southern Dunes is less busy at 4pm than OCN.

I like Bay Hill a lot. Course should be in great condition.

RH

Yes, i know its going to be a lot...... its been of concern of mine, but i haven't been overly worried about it....

The way the timing works out on my flight in and the first day of my work conference, The only other way I could make it work would be to play WW on Saturday, play WW in the morning on Sunday, the drive and play one of the Streamsong courses in the afternoon, then play the second Streamsong course on Monday. I don't think there's any way i could fit in both WW courses on Saturday.... earliest I can see myeslf getting there is 11:30 or noon... so, if they're dead, sure I could do it, as i can play a round pretty quickly... but if they're busy, which i expect them to be, it won't happen.

Other than the savings i'd get for the second Streamsong round by taking advantage of the replay rate, I'm kind of indifferent.....

Yes, i know its going to be a lot...... its been of concern of mine, but i haven't been overly worried about it....

The way the timing works out on my flight in and the first day of my work conference, The only other way I could make it work would be to play WW on Saturday, play WW in the morning on Sunday, the drive and play one of the Streamsong courses in the afternoon, then play the second Streamsong course on Monday. I don't think there's any way i could fit in both WW courses on Saturday.... earliest I can see myeslf getting there is 11:30 or noon... so, if they're dead, sure I could do it, as i can play a round pretty quickly... but if they're busy, which i expect them to be, it won't happen.

Other than the savings i'd get for the second Streamsong round by taking advantage of the replay rate, I'm kind of indifferent.....

Ok, guess its also a long day to play WW then drive 2 hours down to Streamsong to walk 18. If that was the case then I would probably still do the 36 at Streamsong. I've walked 18 there on some 85 degree days and couldn't imagine doing another 18. Just stay hydrated and bring some extra socks. As far as which course to play first, I personally like the Blue. Still trying to learn some of the greens on that course.

Either way you have one hell of a golf trip planned. Doesn't get much better than the courses you have picked out. Hope you have a blast!

I got my Streamsong tee-times this morning, and after I hung up the phone, it dawned on me that I never requested a specific course first.... My email confirmation shows that they set me up to play Blue first, then Red.....

Anybody have a suggestion on order?? I was thinking the other way around, since I might be feeling a little fatigued toward the second half of the 2nd round..... so, should I be requesting to play Red first since it puts more of a premium on driving accuracy, and Blue more of a premium on putting?

Thanks,

I got my Streamsong tee-times this morning, and after I hung up the phone, it dawned on me that I never requested a specific course first.... My email confirmation shows that they set me up to play Blue first, then Red.....

Anybody have a suggestion on order?? I was thinking the other way around, since I might be feeling a little fatigued toward the second half of the 2nd round..... so, should I be requesting to play Red first since it puts more of a premium on driving accuracy, and Blue more of a premium on putting?

Thanks,

bump... anyone with thoughts on the above question?

Thanks,

play the red twice.

i had to play the blue first

Thanks,

play red twice. but if must be, ride the blue in the morning then walk the red. the red is an easier walk. i had walked both blue and red same day. blue always was the first walk.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 1 month later...

I was at Bay Hill yesterday and the course was in fantastic condition. Many Tour players and caddies told me that the greens are the best they have played on all season long.

RH

The greens are a little weird for how dry it is right now, but the practice green at Bay Hill played good but slow today.

You'll have a great time at BH and around Sandlake in Orlando!

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

The greens are a little weird for how dry it is right now, but the practice green at Bay Hill played good but slow today.

You'll have a great time at BH and around Sandlake in Orlando!

Yeah, it's pretty crazy how dry and windy it's been out here.

About a month ago I was out at Orange County National and many of the holes that had water were completely drained #2 and #9 in particular on Panther Lake….bone dry. Went to Eaglebrooke in Lakeland and the course is in good shape, but some of the water is drained and the course is browning because it can’t handle all of this wind and no rain. Plus, waking up to the smoke from brush fires on a daily basis.

RH

• 3 months later...

Tuesday - work

Thanks in advance

How was your trip?

• 1 month later...

honestly southern dunes or bella collins are better courses than Orange county.

Thanks but farther than I want to drive that day. Golf in the am. 6pm flight. Ocn sounds fun: good practice facility, price, golf boards, showers..)

Is panther run def better?

not really; OCN to airport is 31 minutes; Bella Collina to airport is 36 minutes; Southern Dunes to airport is 43 minutes.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x