2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

4runner owners, are you happy with the vehicle?

prsgtrman

we currently have a bmw 335i which my wife hates and i am not too fond of either. we are looking at 4runner limited's which will give us more room to travel with the dogs and has more options.

the 4runners seem to last forever, i see many with 200k+ miles. (my wife drives 1 mile to work 4 times a week so we could be in this thing FOREVER if we kept it).

we have test driven a 4runner. i know they are built on the tacoma chassis, i didnt find the ride overly harsh.

any complaints from guys that own a 4runner?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know PLENTY of people with them and not a one of them dislikes owning one.

They are great vehicles. Get a V8 if you can

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Not a single dislike about the 4Runner except the mpg.

Wife took a job with a 70 mile RT commute and it wasn't practical anymore.

Wants another 4runner so badly that she's looking for jobs closer to home.

Highlander Hybrid :)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

It's probably due for a refresh soon, i feel it's been that platform forever. Just something to keep in mind i think i recall seeing the 2018 might be different

So you might have your choice of 2 models if you want to wait a bit

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I had a 99 4 Runner with 218k miles on it when I bought it and sold it with well over 280k...still going strong. I currently have an 07 Limited v8 which has been wonderful and I've only had to replace some calipers and an alternator in the 106k miles I've put on it. Might be getting rid of it for a Tacoma - better gas mileage and having a truck bed would be helpful. However, the v8 is great for pulling the toys around (car trailer).

The future Mrs Gamble Gamble has a 2015 4runner, I jokingly just said to her that if we hit the powerball I'm buying her a Range and she said, "Why? I like my 4 runner better"

Two possibilities:

1. The 4 Runner is an excellent vehicle

2. She is displaying a lack of materialism to convince me to buy an overpriced piece of carbon for her 2nd smallest finger on her left hand.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

The future Mrs Gamble Gamble has a 2015 4runner, I jokingly just said to her that if we hit the powerball I'm buying her a Range and she said, "Why? I like my 4 runner better"

Two possibilities:

1. The 4 Runner is an excellent vehicle

2. She is displaying a lack of materialism to convince me to buy an overpriced piece of carbon for her 2nd smallest finger on her left hand.

Future Mrs Gamble is def locked in on #2

I agree the 4runner did seem under-powered when i test drove it. perhaps and intake, chip and new exhaust could bring the motor to life. that being said i dont anticipate doing any towing(sold my wakeboard boat). i didnt even know they were offered with a v8.

i dont think we are going to get the 4x4 either but that may kill resale. living in charlotte we get a dusting of snow a couple times a year. heck 2 or 3 weeks ago we had 3 inches of snow in the morning and it was 60 and all melted by the afternoon. so the need for a 4x4 really isnt there for us.

One thing to consider is the 4-runner will be redesigned in the next two years and that will likely include a complete overhaul of the drivetrain and body. Transmission in the current model is outdated 5-speed and the 4.0 is a fantastic motor but a fuel hog.

I'm willing to bet the new truck will be much more sleek and the on-road manners much better.

Not a single dislike about the 4Runner except the mpg.

Wife took a job with a 70 mile RT commute and it wasn't practical anymore.

Wants another 4runner so badly that she's looking for jobs closer to home.

Highlander Hybrid :)

That's too funny....becaue we totally went highlander.

But the extra cost of the hybrid for only the couple mpg wasn't worth it.

One thing to consider is the 4-runner will be redesigned in the next two years and that will likely include a complete overhaul of the drivetrain and body. Transmission in the current model is outdated 5-speed and the 4.0 is a fantastic motor but a fuel hog.

I'm willing to bet the new truck will be much more sleek and the on-road manners much better.

They keep saying that there's going to be a re-design for 2018, but up to this point there has been no news, and nothing has been spied. All of the new for 2018 Toyotas and refreshes have been revealed already, and 2018 production starts at the end of July, so I'm saying it's at least another year of carryover for the 4R.

Truthfully, I can see them stretching the lifecycle 10 years like they did with the Tacoma.

Sales are still strong, and it's still one of their most popular vehicles, despite's being completely outdated and lacking modern technology.

With them sunsetting the FJ, they aren't canibalizing eachothers sales any longer,and also pretty much in a segment of its own, with no competition so there isn't a rush to push something new out there.

They've also got some serious powertrain planning to do.

While the 4.0 is archaic, people love it.

They are getting absolutely murdered on the 3.5 they put in the new Tacoma.

While the Toyota thing to do would be to throw some variant of it in a new 4R, I don't think it would go over very well.

And when they finally do a re-design, I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering. If you look at what they've done with the trucks, it's overall been the same platform with updated high strength steel, new sheetmetal, a new powertrain and an overhauled interior.

They keep saying that there's going to be a re-design for 2018, but up to this point there has been no news, and nothing has been spied. All of the new for 2018 Toyotas and refreshes have been revealed already, and 2018 production starts at the end of July, so I'm saying it's at least another year of carryover for the 4R.

Truthfully, I can see them stretching the lifecycle 10 years like they did with the Tacoma.

Sales are still strong, and it's still one of their most popular vehicles, despite's being completely outdated and lacking modern technology.

With them sunsetting the FJ, they aren't canibalizing eachothers sales any longer,and also pretty much in a segment of its own, with no competition so there isn't a rush to push something new out there.

While the Toyota thing to do would be to throw some variant of it in a new 4R, I don't think it would go over very well.

And when they finally do a re-design, I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering. If you look at what they've done with the trucks, it's overall been the same platform with updated high strength steel, new sheetmetal, a new powertrain and an overhauled interior.

Lots of complaints on the 3.5?

The 4.0 is an awesome motor and doesn't need to change if they put it behind an 8 or 10-speed transmission.

If they offer a V8 or Supercharged version of the next Gen (likely 2019) in all over that.

The 4.0 is an awesome motor and doesn't need to change if they put it behind an 8 or 10-speed transmission.

If they offer a V8 or Supercharged version of the next Gen (likely 2019) in all over that.

My buddy had a new Taco with the 3.5 in it and quickly realized it was a mistake. Absolutely hated how it drove (he had an earlier gen Taco 8 or so years ago so he was really excited to get back in the platform). He flipped it about 6 months later for a different car.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

My buddy had a new Taco with the 3.5 in it and quickly realized it was a mistake. Absolutely hated how it drove (he had an earlier gen Taco 8 or so years ago so he was really excited to get back in the platform). He flipped it about 6 months later for a different car.

This is basically most of it.

A lot of people are complaining about the new 3.5 Atkinson and 6 speed transmission.

I personally have no issues with it at all, but I drive 70 miles round trip in traffic everyday, so I appreciate the efficiency. I don't load it down or womp on it everywhere I go.

And I came from the 4.0 in the 2nd gen Tacoma and 4R before it, so take the complaints with a grain of salt.

I have owned 6 4-Runners, currently have a 16 right now. Best SUV on the market if you ask me, can be expensive depending what model you get, but you get what you pay for with 4 Runners. I was a Toyota Service Manager for 11 years, now at Nissan and I can tell you a 4 Runner is far far far superior to anything that most companies sell. If you have any questions let me know, I know a lot about them.

If you do end up going with the 3rd gen body style i.e. the V8 just do yourself a favor and make sure you get the timing belt, water pump, front engine seals done every 90k miles. You can go longer but if the belt brakes or the water pump locks up you most likely will have to replace the engine, it is a zero clearance engine.

If you are going to get a new one do NOT get anything XSP, it is cheap stickers and fender flairs that are installed by South East Toyota at the docks and they charge $4k+ for them. It would be like grabbing a Ping Iron and slapping a PXG sticker on it!!

Now I just saw that you bought one, you made a great choice! Very nice.

Sweet! Semantics but I believe the limited is actually fulltime AWD

Nice ride!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Love my 2016 SR5 Premium. Needed 3 rows for the kids and like the more rugged look of the SR5 vs the Limited. Had to take it in several times to get warranty work done on the differential and suspension to get rid of a grinding noise, but now it rides like a dream.

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

We have owned three 4-Runners and I am currently still driving one for work. I had an 04 that I traded at 267,000 miles and my current 05 has 240,000. I will probably retire it this fall. We also had a 2010 that was great but it wasn't large enough for a family car. We traded it for a 2015 Tahoe but I would not hesitate to buy another 4 Runner down the road.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom