2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Thoughts on Couch Potatoes Calling in Penalties

whr

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a rule a official walk with every single group. No calling in a rules infraction. No after-the-fact rulings.

^^^^ This.

Or better yet, have a rules official assigned to EVERY player in the field. If what Lexi did is such a huge issue, and the LPGA can't trust the players, assign a ref to every player. God forbid they only assign one to a group. The ref could MISS something by watching player #1 when player #2 commits an infraction.

This is also horribly skewed to the top players who are on TV all the time. What about the players who are trying to keep their cards but are in 30th place? They aren't on TV and they have just as much reason to "cheat", so you better keep an eye on them too. You don't want someone who doesn't deserve their LPGA tour card sneaking in and taking the spot from a more "honest" player.

Just the most ridiculous thing ever. They could even put a team of rules experts in a van to review every shot and if they don't see it, it didn't happen. But stop the armchair quarterback stuff. Please. Making the game of golf look stupid...

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Titleist TSR3 10* driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Hogan Apex 4 shafts soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Rules officials should be the only ones giving ruling advice on any professional golf event.

The fact that she was not informed of the violation until the next day cost her the tournament alone. If the USGA had handled it APPROPRIATELY she would have only been given a two shot penalty for playing the ball from the incorrect place. The ONLY REASON she signed an "incorrect scorecard" was because the scorecard was made incorrect the next day.

They clearly didn't learn with DJ and now this. It's a shame and she deserved to win.

I think it is important the LPGA find out exactly who reported the infraction. The infraction was next to impossible to be spotted by a golf fan watching the tournament. IMO, it could be someone connected to a player that was trailing Thompson. Someone that spent hours scrutinizing previous round replays to try and find any possible infraction to help their player.

I think it is important the LPGA find out exactly who reported the infraction. The infraction was next to impossible to be spotted by a golf fan watching the tournament. IMO, it could be someone connected to a player that was trailing Thompson. Someone that spent hours scrutinizing previous round replays to try and find any possible infraction to help their player.

But she still cheated

And if I were Lexi I would fire my shot OB as well, because I wouldn't want to win like that either

Imagine the two ladies exchanging OB shots out of protest. What a laugh riot!

You guys are nuts and I 100% call bs that you would throw away a Major unprofessionally like that. No offense to anyone but that's absurd

Believe it or not, I do it. I can't see any joy in winning under those circumstances. It was awkward, the whole thing, the champagne, the water jump... Ryu's mother was happy, but it was clear no one really knew how they should act, including Ryu, her caddy, other players, spectators... What does winning a major matter if you are unable to enjoy the accomplishment.. I personally would be unable to enjoy that accomplishment. I would however enjoy the hell out of all the new money and attention I would be getting as a result of firing one off, and no, I don't think Lexi would fire one OB too.

What makes you think that Lexi would want to win like that? What kind of extra money does throwing a Major get you?

No I don't believe you, sorry.

Obviously you still believe the point of being a professional golfer is about winning... I have a much different take on it... I think it's one big commercial. Distinguish yourself... In a sea of seemingly emotionless, personality less, Korean robots on the LPGA tour this would have been a way to break away.

And how do you make money off of throwing the Major? Attention is money, personality is money, guts, emotion, even carelessness is money. Branding. Ryu did nothing wrong, but yet she's in the news for the wrong reason. Lexi lost, but she'll get way more mileage out of this than Ryu will.

I guess I'm the rare type of guy who doesn't care about trophy's, or making history... It's a job, it's a living... It's about making money... And if you can be unique enough during you're brief time in the spotlight, maybe you can build a brand that will be meaningful and profitable for years after.

But she still cheated

Actually, it appears that she may have broken a rule. Kind of hard to tell, exactly, if she even did that, cameras what they are and all.

Try to remember, breaking a rule is not cheating unless there is clear evidence that the rule breaking was a deliberate act for the purpose of gaining advantage.

Had the RB felt that she had cheated, I believe a DQ would have been in order.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

But she still cheated

Misplaced the ball, sure.

Cheated, no. Read a dictionary.

But she still cheated

Actually, it appears that she may have broken a rule. Kind of hard to tell, exactly, if she even did that, cameras what they are and all.

Try to remember, breaking a rule is not cheating unless there is clear evidence that the rule breaking was a deliberate act for the purpose of gaining advantage.

Had the RB felt that she had cheated, I believe a DQ would have been in order.

What other reason would a pro golfer, that knows the rules, and has marked thousands of golf balls have for marking a golf ball then replacing it in a better position? I know that they did not DQ her. I also know she knows how to mark a golf ball.

But she still cheated

Ok misplaced a ball... on purpose to create better circumstances for herself.

If this kind of thing is going to continue, then the Tours must scrutinize each and every shot of each and every player during each and every round. Penalties galore...for example, a player sets up to his/her ball in the rough. If you zoom in and look at it in super slo-motion you will notice the ball moved a micrometer, maybe even two.

I am waiting for the USGA to announce a zoom feature that can scrutinize the ball at the molecular level. "The ball moved two microns...two stroke penalty."

Can't be sure but there looks like a spike mark halfway between the original ball position and the hole. Lexi didn't move the ball forward but it does look like the new ball position has changed the line and bypassed the spike mark. That said, I don't think that spike mark would have affected the balls direction by any significant amount if she'd just tapped it in firmly. The spike mark rule can be very unfair but some of the reasoning behind it seems to make sense (ie. slows the game down if all players started repairing every spike mark in their line).

But she still cheated

No one, not the players, not the rules officials, believed she intended to violate the rules. Further, what advantage did she gain? Did you call this penalty in?

But she still cheated

No one, not the players, not the rules officials, believed she intended to violate the rules. Further, what advantage did she gain? Did you call this penalty in?

Clearly multiple other people think she meant to violate the rule. Just read these threads. Other people that matter ( in this case other pros, rules officials, golf commentators, etc.), who I assume you are talking about, do not want to call Lexi a cheater. This makes sense. It is all opinion. It is all speculation. Don't get defensive because your opinion is not exclusively shared by all other golf loving people.

As far as what she had to gain. She had a better line, a more comfortable putt, possibly something that fit her eye just a little bit better. She certainly had something to gain whether it be physical or mental or she would not have backed off, marked and then replaced the ball in a different spot.

Do you really think I called in the penalty?

This is an issue about over-scrutinizing insignificant minutia that has no impact on the outcome other than to appease some anal retentive and power hungry ruling body--- FWIW the ball is misplaced grossly by comparison anytime a player has to move their mark from another's line and then replaced. This is about the silliness of some rules official sitting at home and doing his/her's own instant replay and then reporting it. It's about delaying the reporting and taking action of such a day latter.

If the USGA/LPGA/PGA is going to allow Instant Replay, then it must be INSTANT, not delayed by a day and all players must be under the same video scrutiny, not just the leaders. In this particular case some joker watching it in HD from 1000 miles was allowed to supersede the eyes of the golfer, her opponents, caddies etc. Total BS and makes pro golf look like a joke. The Pro tours don't need the USGA, the USGA needs them--- time for the Tours to grow a pair and bifurcate ---perhaps the players should strike until they do so.

Rules officials should be the only ones giving ruling advice on any professional golf event.

The fact that she was not informed of the violation until the next day cost her the tournament alone. If the USGA had handled it APPROPRIATELY she would have only been given a two shot penalty for playing the ball from the incorrect place. The ONLY REASON she signed an "incorrect scorecard" was because the scorecard was made incorrect the next day.

They clearly didn't learn with DJ and now this. It's a shame and she deserved to win.

Also changes the way you approach the round. If youre leading by 3-4 youre not in go low mode but then youre told half way through your round hey...yeah about your round yesterday... and all of a sudden you need to birdie 3 or 4 holes just to get into a playoff. thats unfair to her and the field by any stretch. Give her a 2 shot penalty the day before or the morning of the final round or not at all.This way she goes into sunday with a different gameplan and most importantly the lead but also the field gets to know and they adjust as well.

Its funny but this situation happened to Tiger in 2000 during the us open where he won by 15 at pebble i think during the second round somebody called in and said Tiger marked a ball against the collar of the fringe then replaced it closer and they took him aside on saturday to show him video and ask him what he remembered about it. Thing is the video showed him being so careful marking it and so carefully replacing it when it was his turn to putt. I guess someone didnt like the way the tourney was going and decided to play god.thankfully he was absolved by the replay. It was 1 guy who called and the usga reacted, just 1. Imagine the power theyre giving people watching, disgusting

Fact - Whoever says they would have thrown the playoff is a liar.

Ryu won fair and square. Unfortunately for Lexi by some bizarre circumstances she was caught cheating. Lexi's misfortunes have nothing to do with Ryu winning.

Strong words for such a little lady. And how ignorant. Her winning has everything to do with Lexis misfortune. She wouldn't have sniffed the win without it. 4 shots shy to be exact.

You have no idea how nuts I can be.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

But she still cheated

Sit a little closer to the tv.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Personally I'm obsessed with conspiracies and think a Ryu fan called this in. JMHO

How about conspiracy to cheat? Was Ryu even the closest competitor at that point? What about pettersen?

Whoa

I know! So many possibilities!

Honestly, as I stated somewhere else about this situation, Lexi Thompson was in the lead as the infraction occurred, there had to be at least six different TV cameras on her. Why wasn't it caught immediately? Just seems fishy to me.

Ryu won fair and square. Unfortunately for Lexi by some bizarre circumstances she was caught cheating. Lexi's misfortunes have nothing to do with Ryu winning.

Strong words for such a little lady. And how ignorant. Her winning has everything to do with Lexis misfortune. She wouldn't have sniffed the win without it. 4 shots shy to be exact.

Ok this is a bit strange. Anyway, Lexi would have not have incurred the penalty had she not replaced her ball in the wrong place. Her actions caused the penalty. Just the same as somebody's action can cause additional strokes in many other ways. Ryu played and won the tournament and in no way caused Lexi's penalty. Lexi did. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that it should have been called on her by some random emailing in and especially not 24 hours later. But that still does not change the fact that she cheated little lady. No doubt about it.

And if your are sad that you want everybody to believe you would lose a major by throwing a playoff because you feel bad for your competitor I'm sorry. That is stupid.

Ok this is a bit strange. Anyway, Lexi would have not have incurred the penalty had she not replaced her ball in the wrong place. Her actions caused the penalty. Just the same as somebody's action can cause additional strokes in many other ways. Ryu played and won the tournament and in no way caused Lexi's penalty. Lexi did. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that it should have been called on her by some random emailing in and especially not 24 hours later. But that still does not change the fact that she cheated little lady. No doubt about it.

And if your are sad that you want everybody to believe you would lose a major by throwing a playoff because you feel bad for your competitor I'm sorry. That is stupid.

do yo Ihave any intelligent comments. Or just trolling insults ? I've been called a liar and now stupid by someone who is obviously trolling made up allegations . Absolutely false. No cheating occurred. If so she would have been DQed. Ignorant doesn't begin to describe it. Saying something 100 times will not make it true.

Pretty obvious you've never played a competitive round. 100% precise marks 100% of the time do not exist. Cheating. Wow. That's a bridge too far.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You think she moved the ball purposely? It's possible. I did see a penalty incurred by an Asian female player a few years ago, though she wasn't in contention to win. She grossly moved her ball from one side of the coin to the total other side of the coin. I've never done anything like that on a green, though if in the fairway and not playing a tournament I will take a preferred lie not closer to the hole.