Thoughts on Couch Potatoes Calling in Penalties

whr

For those who want penalties to only apply if found on that day: Consider that the winner is the player who scores the lowest aggregate score for ALL ROUNDS. Not applying a penalty for Saturday's round affects the tournament as a whole, not just for Saturday.

It seems harsh but it follows logic.

But, a breach of rules that occurs on Sunday, but isn't found until Monday incurs NO penalty, because "competition has closed". What if the winner is found to have made a serious breach of a rule after they have accepted the trophy? Nothing happens, and the outcome stays the same. If this call in crap after the round doesn't apply to the final round, it shouldn't apply to any. Simple logic.

Your argument for "not applying a penalty for Saturday's round affects the tournament as a whole..." isn't sound, because my example above means that the committee wouldn't apply a penalty for a Sunday violation that was found after that day. So Sunday rules violations that go unnoticed until later aren't as important as the other 3 days? Or...do away with this call in after the round is completed BS? Which follows "logic"?

Except that there are cases where a penalty for DQ can be imposed after completion has closed. So your example Serious breach comes with a DQ penalty which can be imposed after the close of competition.

So not so simple, eh?

Rule 34-1 states that

"In stroke play, a penalty must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed. A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced or, in stroke play qualifying followed by match play, when the player has teed off in his first match."

Then goes on to list 4 exceptions where this can be overridden and DQ can be given. But, I believe none of these exceptions would cover this incident with Lexi. So, if this mistake was discovered today instead of yesterday, then then Lexi would have won and the result would stand. So...back to my question...why is a violation on Sunday less important than one on Saturday? That inconsistency makes me laugh at the whole process.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I feel bad for her but she did violate the rule"

In all the discussion about who and when this infraction was reported the basic fact is that a rule was obviously violated.

My question is the video--how is it that we get this close up of a golfer handling a putt that up close and personal. I don't watch women's golf on television but is it common to show a close up of a golfer laying a mark and then placing the ball? Having watched thousands of hours of men's golf I don't recall a close up of a ball placement --at least to the degree that his incident was recorded.

I almost wonder if the golfer might have had some kind of history of trying to improve her lie on greens prior to this and someone decided to document the practice.

To me the most suspicious part of the whole incident isn't who called this in or when but how this very precise violation of the rules happened to be so masterfully caught on camera.

I'd like to know who recorded that video--was it part of the telecast or from another source?

Good point. It was a serious close up.

From my experience those that try and gain and "advantage " when marking their ball they don't all the time. If Lexi had that reputation it would have come out this weekend. Make no sense why she did it. It she did.

Just a side note... If it were me... And I ended up in a playoff with someone who just got penalized 4 strokes for bs.. I turn sideways and fire my tee shot OB. I don't want to win like that.

If Ryu did that she would be a LEGEND.. She didn't earn the victory, she knows she didn't earn the victory, noone gives her credit for the victory, not really..

She would have undoubtedly gained sponsors, the whole place would have been in tears, and she would have endeared herself to American fans as well as completely changing the storyline.

That's just how I would have done it... I

Just a side note... If it were me... And I ended up in a playoff with someone who just got penalized 4 strokes for bs.. I turn sideways and fire my tee shot OB. I don't want to win like that.

If Ryu did that she would be a LEGEND.. She didn't earn the victory, she knows she didn't earn the victory, noone gives her credit for the victory, not really..

She would have undoubtedly gained sponsors, the whole place would have been in tears, and she would have endeared herself to American fans as well as completely changing the storyline.

That's just how I would have done it...

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

yes sir...my moral compass said the same.... i dont want the win given to me... i win it by playing the best or i dont win .... technicality or not .. major or not... my soul would be light and easy if i did the right thing... collecting that trophy would eat me slowly ... thats how my conscience works... cannot speak for others

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

#notmyANAchampion

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I agree with the others saying it would have been big of Ryu to forfeit in the playoff. What we don't know though is what she knew about the incident at the time. What was she told? She obviously didn't have a chance to see the replay or contemplate the situation.

To me, Ryu's victory is tainted. It may not be fair to her, but that's just the way it is.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Plain and simple, outside sources should not be allowed to effect tournament results. That's what rule officials are for.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

bullxxxx. How the hell is it Ryu's problem that Lexi doesn't know how to mark and replace a ball properly? Yes, I'll agree on the controversy over the additional two strokes for signing an incorrect scorecard, but that was blatant as hell. We don't know her intent, but you still have to protect the field.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

I agree with the others saying it would have been big of Ryu to forfeit in the playoff. What we don't know though is what she knew about the incident at the time. What was she told? She obviously didn't have a chance to see the replay or contemplate the situation.

To me, Ryu's victory is tainted. It may not be fair to her, but that's just the way it is.

Also something to consider is her personal benefactors or "investors" I have some friends who are trying to make it through qualifiers and mini tours and the only reason they are able is because of a few benefactors who believe in them and who made a deal to get a piece of their $$ when and if they make it. She alone didn't just win that tournament, just like a Nascar driver doesn't just win himself, or a cycling team/rider doesn't just win.. There are others who have financial interest and it might not be fair, or even legal depending on the contract to knowingly self sabotage... Personally though I wouldn't care.. I'm firing that ball OB anyway and I'll deal with the fallout after. I've said it before, and I believe it wholeheartedly that the rules of golf should best be summed up in 2 lines.. 1. Don't be an A-Hole. 2. Do the right thing.

Also something to consider is her personal benefactors or "investors" I have some friends who are trying to make it through qualifiers and mini tours and the only reason they are able is because of a few benefactors who believe in them and who made a deal to get a piece of their $$ when and if they make it. She alone didn't just win that tournament, just like a Nascar driver doesn't just win himself, or a cycling team/rider doesn't just win.. There are others who have financial interest and it might not be fair, or even legal depending on the contract to knowingly self sabotage... Personally though I wouldn't care.. I'm firing that ball OB anyway and I'll deal with the fallout after. I've said it before, and I believe it wholeheartedly that the rules of golf should best be summed up in 2 lines.. 1. Don't be an A-Hole. 2. Do the right thing.

Do it in a way that is not so obvious. Make your normal drive, then airmail the green, then chip/pitch it 50 feet by, then 3 putt.

bullxxxx. How the hell is it Ryu's problem that Lexi doesn't know how to mark and replace a ball properly? Yes, I'll agree on the controversy over the additional two strokes for signing an incorrect scorecard, but that was blatant as hell. We don't know her intent, but you still have to protect the field.

I didn't say she was obligated... I just said it would have built her Brand way more way quickly... Right now she is a paper Major champion who's going to be viewed as a opportunist and a bit of an ice princess.. Fair or not. Lexi's stock went way higher because she cried, she showed emotion, she showed "courage" or whatever.. Personally I think Lexi probably angled it around a mark or something, and I'm not saying she's right.. I'm just saying this was a big opportunity to endear herself to USA fans and sign new sponsors lost for Ryu...

I fire that ball OB and laugh all the way to the bank playing the part of the noble badass who gave the tour the bird.

Do it in a way that is not so obvious. Make your normal drive, then airmail the green, then chip/pitch it 50 feet by, then 3 putt.

Then you're a choker... Gotta build the brand :pimp:

Only sport that does this. Absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine if the NFL allowed this. 8 hr games. Needs to stop

I keep reading this type of comparision and it's ridiculous. First, other sports have officials on the field. Second, players aren't expected to call penalites on themselves in other sports. That's where golf is different and this type of comparision can't be made.

Yes, golf is different and other sports have officials, yet they use instant replay to decide what is and what isn't. Sure, professional golfers and amateurs call penalties on themselves, but we know that is not the end here. Professionals have officials nearby, "IF" they need advice, or they may call upon a playing partner for advise. But we're talking about a professional that innocently didn't know she made a mistake, and some doofus watching TV changed her life and the tournament outcome. Its wrong!

Some lard bottom couch doofus was watching a recording the day after, and saw the mistake. I find that interesting since I too watched that round a day after on a HD 4k big screen where I can see a nats azz, and didn't note her mistake. Begs the question what motivated that viewer to look that closely, and why didn't Lexi's playing partners notice?

What's worse, that noodle emailed his concern a day later, motivating Rules to review the video of the day before. Lexi had already signed a card thinking it was correct. Its one thing to take in on the chin for an earlier mistake that same day; its all together another when it happens a day earlier and the penalties accumulate and hit a day later... causing 4 stroke penalty. Wrong.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Only sport that does this. Absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine if the NFL allowed this. 8 hr games. Needs to stop

I keep reading this type of comparision and it's ridiculous. First, other sports have officials on the field. Second, players aren't expected to call penalites on themselves in other sports. That's where golf is different and this type of comparision can't be made.

Yes, golf is different and other sports have officials, yet they use instant replay to decide what is and what isn't. Sure, professional golfers and amateurs call penalties on themselves, but we know that is not the end here. Professionals have officials nearby, "IF" they need advice, or they may call upon a playing partner for advise. But we're talking about a professional that innocently didn't know she made a mistake, and some doofus watching TV changed her life and the tournament outcome. Its wrong!

Some lard bottom couch doofus was watching a recording the day after, and saw the mistake. I find that interesting since I too watched that round a day after on a HD 4k big screen where I can see a nats azz, and didn't note her mistake. Begs the question what motivated that viewer to look that closely, and why didn't Lexi's playing partners notice?

What's worse, that noodle emailed his concern a day later, motivating Rules to review the video of the day before. Lexi had already signed a card thinking it was correct. Its one thing to take in on the chin for an earlier mistake that same day; its all together another when it happens a day earlier and the penalties accumulate and hit a day later... causing 4 stroke penalty. Wrong.

Beg to differ. That video makes it super obvious. Even Tirico(?) says when she puts the coin down, you can't see it because of the ball, then when you replace it, you can see all of the coin. She knew what she was doing. We don't know her intent as to whether she was just careless or trying to avoid a spike mark/depression (this would be full blown cheating), but it was supremely obvious that the ball wasn't replaced properly.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

And if I were Lexi I would fire my shot OB as well, because I wouldn't want to win like that either

Imagine the two ladies exchanging OB shots out of protest. What a laugh riot!

You guys are nuts and I 100% call bs that you would throw away a Major unprofessionally like that. No offense to anyone but that's absurd

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

And if I were Lexi I would fire my shot OB as well, because I wouldn't want to win like that either

You guys are nuts and I 100% call bs that you would throw away a Major unprofessionally like that. No offense to anyone but that's absurd

Believe it or not, I do it. I can't see any joy in winning under those circumstances. It was awkward, the whole thing, the champagne, the water jump... Ryu's mother was happy, but it was clear no one really knew how they should act, including Ryu, her caddy, other players, spectators... What does winning a major matter if you are unable to enjoy the accomplishment.. I personally would be unable to enjoy that accomplishment. I would however enjoy the hell out of all the new money and attention I would be getting as a result of firing one off, and no, I don't think Lexi would fire one OB too.

It is down right nuts that the outcome of a major LPGA tournament was changed by a tv spectator. Especially a day later. That should not have ever happened. It is clear the Lexi replaced her ball inappropriately and a penalty should have been assessed. Then and there and on that green. It was not and she got away with it. That Should have been the end of the story but it was not.

It is down right idiotic to think that Ryu should have thrown the playoff. This was the biggest moment of her career. She had played hard and qualified for that playoff fairly. As far aas she is concerned Lexi was assessed the penalty fairly.

Believe it or not, I do it. I can't see any joy in winning under those circumstances. It was awkward, the whole thing, the champagne, the water jump... Ryu's mother was happy, but it was clear no one really knew how they should act, including Ryu, her caddy, other players, spectators... What does winning a major matter if you are unable to enjoy the accomplishment.. I personally would be unable to enjoy that accomplishment. I would however enjoy the hell out of all the new money and attention I would be getting as a result of firing one off, and no, I don't think Lexi would fire one OB too.

What makes you think that Lexi would want to win like that? What kind of extra money does throwing a Major get you?

No I don't believe you, sorry.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I have no problem with people advocating that the reality shows that are the professional tours adopt some limitating rule on external influence on their tournaments. After all, it is a tv show. Personally, I think it's only a matter of time if they do this that golf in it's televised form becomes like football or hockey where you have guys trying to gain an advantage because they think they can get away with it (it's a huge playing field compared to EVERY other sport), and that would be unfortunate for the game. But, modify the tv show, no problem.

But please don't conflate this with a weakness in the rules of golf as they are. Leave those alone.

What kind of extra money does throwing a Major get you?

I would bet none and certainly not near what the win does. The whole idea that she should have thrown it is silly at best.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Couch snitches should be given the bum's rush any time they call in. Wonder how many of them have money on someone other than the player they snitched on?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't the rules being modified to exclude call ins from the penalty process?

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Couch snitches should be given the bum's rush any time they call in. Wonder how many of them have money on someone other than the player they snitched on?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't the rules being modified to exclude call ins from the penalty process?

I can only picture an arm chair ref as saying "citizens arrest, citizens arrest" spoken like Gomer.

Just curious, but did Ryu jump into the pond after?

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1