2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade Burner TP

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the taylormade burner tp is the hottest driver i have hit in years ! great ball flight,

wonderful feel .just can't decide on which flex of the stock mitsubishi rayon i want.

have all ready paid for driver and have only hit the s 65 gram shaft usually have x flex in my driver but like i said before this feels great ,guess i will just keep hitting the demo

Read your post and I too bought a 9.5 tp w/stiff 65 gram shaft. I normally play a x in my drivers. It was recommeded I go with the stiff, my advice don't. I had too much spin and started to hit hooks that didn't stay in the air. I sold the 9.5 and bought a 8.5 w/stock 65 x much better, I am going to reshaft w/fuji Rombax in a X this spring.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

the taylormade burner tp is the hottest driver i have hit in years ! great ball flight,

wonderful feel .just can't decide on which flex of the stock mitsubishi rayon i want.

have all ready paid for driver and have only hit the s 65 gram shaft usually have x flex in my driver but like i said before this feels great ,guess i will just keep hitting the demo

Read your post and I too bought a 9.5 tp w/stiff 65 gram shaft. I normally play a x in my drivers. It was recommeded I go with the stiff, my advice don't. I had too much spin and started to hit hooks that didn't stay in the air. I sold the 9.5 and bought a 8.5 w/stock 65 x much better, I am going to reshaft w/fuji Rombax in a X this spring.

thats what i having been leaning towards the x fles that is just trying not to be to quick as in the past do to the rising prices . i feel the stock shafts over the past year have been getting better so i did not see a reason to up grade the shaft

i just bought a burner tp 8.5 with stock 65g x-flex. I have not hit it yet but from what i hear i will be needing to change the shaft out soon. My normal playing swing speed is 125 but will get in the 130's when I am on a par 5 and try to get that extra distance(usually to show off). What swing speed is best suited for the stock 65g x-flex.

I didn't like the Burner TP until I switched out the TP shaft for a Graffaloy Epic. Now it is the best driver I've ever hit. Long and straight, and I didn't lose any distance switching the TM shaft for a shorter Epic shaft. I found the added length in the TM stock shaft didn't translate into more distance, just more mishits. I'm a scratch golfer, and couldn't control the TP Superfast shaft. The Epic is amazing with this clubhead though.

• 2 weeks later...

thats what i having been leaning towards the x fles that is just trying not to be to quick as in the past do to the rising prices . i feel the stock shafts over the past year have been getting better so i did not see a reason to up grade the shaft

Does anyone know the specs for the stock Mitsubishi Rayon TP 65S shaft? I can't find it anywhere, including on the TM custom website.

Titleist TSR3 10.0 Ventus Blue TR 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15.0 Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSR2 18.0 (@19.25) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 80 6.5
Titleist T150 4-P KBS Tour X 
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw KBS Tour X: 48(@47).10F, SM9 54.12D, WedgeWorks 58.06 K Low Bounce 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5 35" Heavy
Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a quest for the right driver for months now here's what I've tried:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5 - Diamana 63s

Taylormade r7 425 tp 9.5 - Whiteboard 73x

Taylormade SQ 9.5 - Reax x

Taylormade Burner TP 10.5 - GD Superfast X

The Burner TP trumps all. Although I love the feel of the blueboard, the sasquatch head spun way too much. So did both r7s. I felt also, that the weight change system just added too much complication to my driver.

I recommend anyone with 100 mph or above go with the X flex simply because you will hit it straighter. The clubhead is highly responsive and it seems like the ball leaves the face faster than the Superquad and the Nike. It also launches HIGH.

I've also found that although this club has high MOI and is supposed to hit the ball straight, working it is quite easy and it keeps the draws/fades decently tight so you don't get those ballooning/high sidespin shots when you try to work the ball.

Overall, the best driver I've hit in a long long time. Go out and get you one!

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

I just bought one last night and got fitted on Golf Galaxy's monitor, sadly to say the stock superfast 50 shaft works just fine. Numbers were perfect ! 110 mph swing 14 degree launch carrying around 295-297 and backspin 2800 rpms. I wanted to hit the regular version but was told to try the tp, im glad I listened! I was so anxious to hit it, I Hit balls in the snow! lol Awesome club!

Got fitted on a LM for the TP with a Whiteboard, and, wow, this thing is a beast!

I came out of a D2 (that I wanted to like) that I had for all of last year. I got it because of how well I hit it out on my course's range -- and I did have some decent rounds with it -- but what I couldn't see at first was how much I was spinning the ball. I hit the ball high, and it would fall out of the sky, and I always thought I was leaving yards on the table. No matter how much I worked on my swing, I couldn't get what I thought I should be getting with it.

When I got on the LM with it just a couple weeks ago, it became obvious that the head spun the ball a ton for me, and that I wasn't going to be getting it down with a shaft. I tried the Hyper X at first, and the spin came down a lot. Then the fitter handed me a Burner TP with a Whiteboard in it, and the spin REALLY came down -- and the ball carry and rollout picked up a decent amount.

Here's where the LM is so helpful: Whereas the LM suggested that the spin, ball flight, carry, and roll were improved over the D2 I was using, the real-world results (after only one round, mind you) FAR EXCEEDED my expectations. I have never hit a ball so far, so consistently. Maybe I found the perfect combo between this set up and the TP Red ball, but the ball just ends up so much farther than I've ever imagined. If you're already hitting the ball 300 yards, then this club may not add yards for you... But I wasn't hitting the ball far with my previous set up, and now I feel like I'm realizing my potential. It is truly awesome.

The ball flight is lower and penetrating now. (I was hitting into some serious headwinds, and it was as though there was no wind at all.) Dead-center hits with this driver are extremely rewarding, feeling like the ball just cushions off the face. I experienced one such hit on the range a couple days before this round, and the ball went forever. While I didn't experience this same feel during my round, the ball still went so far that I couldn't help but feel like I didn't really need to be on the sweet spot every time to hit rewarding drives. (Either I was finding the middle of the face often, or this club simply lets you hit it all around the face.) The sound is just right to me. The crown graphics actually help alignment. I am not a big worker of the ball with the driver, so I can't tell you much about that aspect of it, but I did love how straight (with a slight draw) I hit this club. Just awesome.

If you're considering the Burner TP, check it out on a LM. That's the only way you can see if this club is right for you. If it looks like it will work for you, you'll probably love it, too.

/< / /2 /<

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question for the experts.. I just bought this tp head and was wondering of the two shafts I currently have, which one fits the characteristics of this head better?

Fuji Rombax 6w07 or Diama RB 63x??

I'm leaning towards the fuji bc i've heard this head produces a higher ball flight..

Anyone tried these shafts that can comment?

thanks

Quick question for the experts.. I just bought this tp head and was wondering of the two shafts I currently have, which one fits the characteristics of this head better?

Fuji Rombax 6w07 or Diama RB 63x??

I'm leaning towards the fuji bc i've heard this head produces a higher ball flight..

Anyone tried these shafts that can comment?

thanks

I wouldn't say that this head produces a high ball flight. It's not low, but it isn't high, either. I put a whiteboard in mine just to make sure it is kept down (and my spin rates are great with it). I can't speak to the characteristics of the shafts you listed, but if you tend to hit a high ball, then go ahead and put a shaft in it that will keep things down some. I did just this, and the ball flight is fantastic.

/< / /2 /<

I bought the TM Burner TP 9.5* with the 65g GD shaft in it. Was decent in that set up but ball launched a little bit too high for me and too much spin. Not the worst set up, but not optimum for me. Just put in a DVS 60-X to keep the weight about the same and kept the 45.5" length. Took me a few swings to get used to the new shaft but now this thing bombs. Has a great feel, look, and just gets up and goes forever. Pretty good into the wind too when struck well. Also love the look of this shaft on this club. I'm pretty sure they were meant for eachother.

• 2 months later...

Picked up a 2007 Burner TP 9.5 with GD 65g Regular shaft (stiff tip). Took it out for the first time and really wasn't overly impressed versus my R7 425 TP 9,5 with Rombax 75g Regular shaft (mid tip). I do think the MOI kept the ball in the fairway more often, but, lost about 10-15 yards in distance. The first two drives I hit were snap hooks and this is supposed to have a 1 degree open face?

I can go at my R7 TP hard and because of the weight set up the face stays open. Might be trading the Burner TP back in. Will give it another go next week.

• 1 month later...

I had the TaylorMade Burner TP, 9.5* loft, with Mitsubishi RE*AX Superfast TP 65 Stiff...stock shaft was mid kick, 3.1* torque, 45"

Not a good club for me at all. My SS is 107mph on average and I am a high ball, high spin player. Launched very high (and I have played 9.5* loft for years) and I didn't really care for the feel. When I tee'd it down I could get it to go but with today's game I should be able to "tee it high and let if fly" without having to worry about the ball ballooning. The club also felt light and I didn't have a lot of directional control.

For the club to stay it definitely would have needed a shaft change, Diamana Whiteboard 73 probably would've been perfect but since I didn't love the feel of the head I am moving on.

I did trim the shaft down to 45" which is 1/2" less than stock, that might have contributed to the club feeling light since it was designed to play at 45 1/2"

I was also a bit disappointed that the head still set-up a little closed even though this was the TP model...I would really like to see future TP models set-up square or 1* open. TaylorMade states on their website that the club sits 1* open but there is no way that is true.

That said, I absolutely love my r7 TP irons...best irons for my game without a doubt

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

Just got my Burner TP 9.5* GD PM702 X two days ago. Took it to the range last night and it was awesome. The feel and sound were amazing. It setup really well, face appeared square to a hair open, which according to the experts I have seen on here, that is not something you can tell by simply looking at it with the human eye. Anyway, I know it was not closed like the original Burner (non TP) I played once. I was hitting it really well, felt long, but hard to tell at the range what the distance was like. Will update once I hit the course. Shaft seemed like a great combo, I love this shaft line including the 902 version for fairway wood.

Steven

TEE EXS 8.5* HZRDUS Yellow 65S
TEE EXS 15* HZRDUS Yellow 75S
PXG 0311X Gen2 DG 120X
Taylormade 2012 MC 3-PW X100
Ping Glide 54/60 S400
SC Select Newport 2.6

I'm a decent golfer who probably breaks 80 3/4 of the time. I go through alot of drivers because i can't quite find one i can hit long, straight, and on the right trajectory. Believe me, I've played deep drivers, straight drivers, drivers that hit the ball high or low. I've played the r540, r540 xd, r580 xd, 905t, 907 d2,sasquatch tour, cobra sz 400, r7 425, Srixon pile, Cleveland 400, Orlimar fury 420 tour, Ping g5 and a couple different r5's. This Burner TP is the nicest driver i've ever played. I think the deep design of the head helps players who can hit the ball very well, but just not as high as they'd like. I usually hit my drives around 270 and used to wish i could carry the ball a little further, but still with the roll i always got. Burner tp is the answer. I used to think taylormade put out the same crappy driver every year with no design changes just to make money, which is pretty much what they do, (no difference between the original r7 quad and the superquad) but the burner is a very nice design. The regular burner is 1* closed and the tp is 1* open i believe. i especially like this feature because better players like hitting the ball from the inside and this promotes that idea. Better golfers should definatly try this driver out if you're not feeling confident with your current driver.

OP started the thread last summer about the 07' Burner TP...

That's the model fratlord is talking about.

That's right Q. I have wanted one since they came out, just waiting till I could get one in my price range. I had the non TP version just after they came out. I was not a fan of the closed clubface and weak (for me) stock shaft. Always loved the way the head looked at address on the TP, gives me more confidence over the ball for some reason. Loved it so much, I went ahead and added the Burner TP 14.5* fairway w/ Speeder 952 Tour Spec. Have not hit that, but can't wait to get them both to the course this weekend.

Steven

TEE EXS 8.5* HZRDUS Yellow 65S
TEE EXS 15* HZRDUS Yellow 75S
PXG 0311X Gen2 DG 120X
Taylormade 2012 MC 3-PW X100
Ping Glide 54/60 S400
SC Select Newport 2.6

• 1 month later...

ive had mine for 8 months love the head im on my four shaft and it gets better every time. started with a white bore then a ys6 then ysq and then a ust v2 ld2 witch is a great shaft they work great together. ive sold nine of those heads with diffrent shafts combos. i went back on the lanch monitor last week and i was at 17.0 launch angle and 2600 spin rate with a little cut. love the driver i can put it in anybody's hand and they hit the hell out of it. love it

• 2 months later...

Played 9 holes with the Burner TP this morning.

Man oh man what an absolute weapon. Low launch, low spin, Long Distance!

Instead of hitting 3DX Square then Hybrid to most greens, I was using Burner TP then 6i or 7i!

Yes I know, it’s only 9 holes. But I am really that impressed with it!

Instead of hitting 3DX Square then Hybrid to most greens, I was using Burner TP then 6i or 7i!

Yes I know, it’s only 9 holes. But I am really that impressed with it!

I'd never call the TP Burner low launch, unless of course you were hitting a Version 1

;)

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

• 1 month later...

Yes I know, it's only 9 holes. But I am really that impressed with it!

I'd never call the TP Burner low launch, unless of course you were hitting a Version 1

;)

Hitting a TP 2007 Version 1 9.5° fitted with a Fujikura Rombax TP-75 X Stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2009 Taylormade Burner TP version comes with a a much better shaft. It is a combo effort between Matrix and Taylormade ( Re.Ax Superfast 65 gram by Matrix ) . I have one in an X-Flex and it holds up well to 115 -125 mph swing speed. I've tried almost all of the new drivers out except for the R9 and nothing out there hits it this far. The ball wants to go straight. Draws and fades are less than 10 yards either direction. This shaft flattens out the trajectory fro max distance not to high or low.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love this driver! I bought it from a friend last year after hitting it in 3 scrambles. Never missed a drive. Unbelievable! It is the Burner TP 9.5 with the 65gram Graphite Design shaft. The shaft has one of the lowest torque numbers available at 2.8 and is perfect for my swing. I am tempted to go with the new R9 (because I like new things) but it may be a long, long time before I find a driver that out performs this one. Big, high, straight, long drives. Mostly carry. Could be the shaft that i have needed all a long.....who knows, but it works. No other driver I've had comes close to this one.....R7 TP, 905r, 540, .....