Titleist 907D2

I really want this, even though i have no complaints with my r7. If money is well saved, this could be in my bag by the end of the year

Titleist 909D3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 906F2 w/ Diamana Bluebored 83x
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper x-flex
Scratch Tour Department 52*
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried this in 9.5 with a VSProto stiff on the course.

Hmm - much too stiff and with no feel. I guess another shaft and 10.5 loft would change my bad first impression with this stick.

I voted 2.

The 905R seems a lot better balanced.

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am done with the D2. As I stated earlier. Started with a 9.5 with VS Proto, nothing but big high slices. Then I swapped the shaft for an Aldila NV, still not muc better. Next I swapped it for a 7.5 D2 with an X flex red grafalloy prolite, a little better, but still no control. I finally gave up on the D2, and swapped it for an 8.5 905R and a set of sonartec wedges. The 905R has a V2 X flex, WOW. Went to the range with it today and hit it until I couldn't swing anymore. This is the stick I was hoping the D2 would be. Perfect mid flight boring trajectory, long and straight, with a few light fades, and occasionally a light draw. The shaft feels great. I can feel where the club is at every point of my swing. I can't wait to get out on the course and put it to work.

Hands down the best club I have owned thus far. I have a very high swing speed (125-135) and this club loves every second of it unlike some other brands which I have discovered aren't up to the abuse. I'm a huge fan of the square face at address because they are few and far between. Closed faces I hook hard and Open face I tend to push for obvious reasons. This club is consistently down the fairway for me 320-330. The feel is phenomenal and it sounds like a golf club, not a coffee can. It would take the best club ever made for me to give up this club.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

• 2 weeks later...

I have been interested in this driver and after reading these posts it looks like a lot of people have kept this driver in their bags which is a good thing.

I am lefthanded, there are no demos for me to try and demo days are another month away. Plus the fact that they usually don't have anything for us to try anyways!

I have a G10 and Rapture both are 10.5*.

I am trying to decide if I should go 9.5 or 10.5 with the VS Proto?

My launch and spin were perfect with the G10/Diamana 83 combo with about 240 carry.

I have recently made a huge swing change so now I come in a little steeper instead of flat which gets the ball up quicker.

What would you recommend? 9.5* w/VS Proto stiff?

Thanks for your input!

• 2 weeks later...
over all i really like the sound and how ball jumps from the club face. It would be interesting to get feedback from anyone that order the 907D2 with a V2-s and then changed shafts. I'm contemplating changing it to a speeder 652 or diamana blueboard 73 my ss is at 112-118

i bought the D2 with a V2 shaft and thought it was good but when i changed it to a accra sc85 in m4 it has made a good driver GREAT!! i spin it alot and they recommended the blueboard at my fitting on a trackman but i had used accra before and decided to go with it and have now become renowned for driving the ball at my club which is great!

• 2 weeks later...

I bagged the D2 late last season and last only played it 4 times in November. I have played it 3 times this year and I must say it's the straightest driver I have ever hit (I can also work it left or right when needed). My only issue so far it trying to determine which part of the face is the hottest. I think the lower portin on the face is the hottest. The D2 doesn't seem to be the longest driver I have played (The J33R was the longest) but it is the most consistant fairway finder I've ever owned. I really won't know about distance until the weather gets warmer.

[b]Srixon ZX7  Evenflow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* EvenFlow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 19* hybrid EvenFlow White X-stiff 90gm[/b]
[b]Srixon ZX7 4-PW  Stiff

[/b]
[b]Bettnardi  50*  KBS S+

Bettnardi  54*  KBS S+

Bettnardi 60* KBS S+

[/b]Putter: Bettinardi BB#11 Ball:[b]Srixon Z-Star XV[/b]

i hit this last year and it brought me to my highschool state championship, early this year i bought a FT-I Tour LCG 9.5(for sale) and i tried and wanted to switch to the FT-I but the titleist is just straighter, more boring, and less spin for me. I can not explain how much i love this club, except i bought TWO of them. :good:

Sldr 460 Toe Screw 10.5 Tour Spec 7.2x
Sldr Tour Spoon Tour Spec 7.2x
Sldr #5 Tour Spec 7.2x
Tour Preferred MB 4-P S300
XFT 54/58 s300
Taylormade Spider Blade

Well i have the D2 in 9.5 with a Grafalloy Blue and strangely enough it goes the same height as my 905s 8.5 did. It's also more forgiving on off-centre hits and slightly longer but i'd probably benefit from lowering my ball flight, just not really sure how to lower it without teeing it super low

Because the graffaloy blue is a mid/high launch shaft. Maybe if you changed your shaft to the prolaunch red you cus get a better trajectory. I dont know thats the same predicament I am in.

After having the D2 with the proforce V2 76g stiff shaft for almost 2 months now, it is by far the most forgiving and straightest driver I've owned (I previously had a 9.5 deg FT3 Tour, 757 fujikura x stiff tour spec shaft). It doesnt seem to go as far as my FT3 but it is definitely more accurate in terms of workability and I'm hitting more fairways. Its a really wicked driver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anybody noticed the sweetspot on the D2 is lower in the face? I had the 905s and felt the sweetspot was right at the top of the face. I am not sure the same is true with the D2?

I'm kind of in agreement with you. as a result I tee the ball lower (almost a third of the ball over the top the clubhead) to get the best out of it.

Maybe this is the reason why I have to do this

Has anybody noticed the sweetspot on the D2 is lower in the face? I had the 905s and felt the sweetspot was right at the top of the face. I am not sure the same is true with the D2?

I'm kind of in agreement with you. as a result I tee the ball lower (almost a third of the ball over the top the clubhead) to get the best out of it.

Maybe this is the reason why I have to do this

I agree with you guys 100%, and I feel that's why some guys are not making the switch. The older Titleists, including the R were hotter from higher on the face. The hot spot on the D2 is closer to vertical center. A tough habit to break!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Ok I have exhausted my testing and ended up with the D2/with V2 76g shaft.

I was using the 905R and it was the best club for me for a while. I did a review on it and at the time really like it. I have now for 3 weeks been testing the 905R, D2, and TM 425TP. I loved the 905R when I was swinging good. But man on my off days I had no idea where the ball was going, half left, half right, and a couple straight. So my search was on for more consistency. I bought the D2 and put the same shaft in it I had in the 905R which is the V2, one of my favorite all time shafts. It has a different feel but a good one. It is WAAAAY more forgiving then the 905R and that is what I was looking for. It does seem to hit the ball higher, but does not seem to punish.

I then bought a R7 425TP after reading reviews here. This club by a mile had the best feel. However both Titleist I draw on a bad swing, and the 425 I could hit nothing but huge slices. I know it may of been the shaft (75g TP Reax, but I hit the same shaft in my hybrid with zero issues). So after about a month of several on range testing, and playing a golf course hitting 2 and three balls off the tee with each driver I am VERY confident the D2 is the most forgiving driver off the three.

I have played two rounds now with the D2 and it keeps me in play much more then the 905R and 425TP. ANd I can barely fade the ball, it wants very badly to just go straight. My bad shot is a draw with it, so I have eliminated the left side (i am a lefty) of the fairway. IMO this may be why more Tour guys don't play this club. It is harder to work then the 905R. IF you want a 460 club that you can work the 905R is for you, but bring your A game.

If you want a Titleist driver that just wants to go straight then look at the D2. I also did not notice any difference in Distance between all three clubs I have been testing. All were pretty much equal.

After several weeks of hitting this driver I am still very pleased. IT KEEPS ME IN PLAY more then any driver I have owned. I was at a tournement this week and a club fitting company was on the range with monitors. I hit the new TaylorMade Tour Burner Driver against my D2 and although the launch angle was the same I had LESS SPIN with the D2. Stats were 11 degree launch angle with 2,000 RPMs with the D2, 117 SS with 298 carry. I have a V2 tipped almost to X flex and the guy said the shaft and club combo was perfect for me. I also hit the FT-5 with X flex Diamana blue board which felt awsome but produced the same results. SO for anyone interested in this club, it is extremely forgiving, and it is not a SPIN monster like some claim, YOU JUST NEED THE CORRECT shaft.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also need to tee the ball so at most about 1/3 of the ball is above the crown to maximize ball speed. The hot spot is apparently in the vertical center of the clubface. If I tee it higher than just described, my drives are noticeably less powerful. I use the small tees that are extra thin. The lower tee height actually feels much more comfortable and natural at address. At the driving range, I use my trusty cigar cutter to shorten the ridiculously long rubber tees.

I purchased the new Taylormade burner tp 9.5 with a ozik xcon 5 stiff flex about 3 weeks ago played about 4 rounds at first it seemed like the best club I ever hit....long straight and workable for the most part.well after my last round with hitting balls before and after my round to confirm the honeymoon is OVER.I started to notice that as I got more comfortable and tried to really go after it the ball flight was a big hook or straight push push right..I called taylormades tour dept and come to find out the very disappointing news...that for 600.00 dollars its NOT a REAL OZIK and plays much weaker than the real one.NOT to bust anyones bubble the whiteboard and rombax offerings are the same,copys not the real thing.....THANKS TAYLORMADE...So back to edwin watts and into the launch moniter.I have always loved how square the d2 sat and its shape just figured I wasnt good enough to hit it...Well was I wrong.......Ive always had GREAT success with the YS6 so I tried the d2 with a ys 6 and 9.5 loft Im not very strong due to a bad back but numbers were really good for me my ss is 95 to 100, 104 to max 105 if I really use my lower back and turn hard.On the monitor I hit just about everyone 14 out of 15 straight with some having a slight slight fade 250. to 260 total including roll launch angle was around 12 to 14.The thing that felt best was at impact the head was there with my hands unlike the 600.00 burner lagging behind....The guys at watts really worked great with me i got the d2 with the YS6(by the way i did try other shafts and the d1 with 3 different shafts and the combo i got worked the best for me) and got a 906 f4 15.5 3 wood with a ys6 also and 2 multi compound cord grips for a even trade...so Ill be playing next weekend and post my on course results than.. :man_in_love:

I have pretty much been using Titleist drivers for the last 10 years and now am using the 907 D2 8.5 with V2 85g X shaft. In my opinion, this is the best driver that I have ever used. I have easily gained 20yards "average" on my drives and my mishits still go a mile and keep in play. My previous drivers were 905T with 9.5 V2 76g S and also 905T 8.5 with 757 Tour Spec X (Titleist before that was the 975D). The 757 X felt just too heavy for me and I had to really swing well which made me switch to the V2 76g S (didnt play enough back then perhaps). The 905T V2 S to me was a very good driver but on some days, especially when I didnt swing well, it just didnt have the consistency and was prone to spinning too much where it would get barely any roll. This is so different with the 907 D2 where I feel the club just makes me put on a good swing and even shots that felt like it went high would still have decent amount of roll. I have increased both carry and roll with this club.

I have read so many reviews before getting this driver saying how the 907 D2 is such a flop, putting too much spin on the ball, not workable, etc. I just dont see why this is the case unless the 905Ts were really bad drivers (and I have tried many other different brands also including the famous 905R). I didnt upgrade to the 905R because it didnt feel like a hugh improvement over the 905T. Only because I have actually started playing more and my SS has increased (it's around 116 now while before it was probably around 110) that I decided I needed a bit more shaft and that upgrading was a good chance to do so (especially now that the price is much better).

Perhaps I got lucky with the right shaft and head combination but all I can say is this is staying in my bag for a long long time and that the 909 has to be much much better if it is to kick it out of my bag (I have a 906F2 15 V2 X and this is staying as well since they really do match each other). I didnt think "distance and control" really existed but with this club I am now a believer. Maybe 905R have better shot making ability but I am able to shape the D2 enough in most situations needed from the tee.

On a different note, I do agree that the sweet spot is definitely lower and is pretty much dead in the vertical centre. Great for me as I tee it low. I didnt think I would like the black finish at first but now like it much better than the 905 series finish (much more modern looking) and the shape compliments it well.