2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Mega Thrift Store Score

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleaned them up a bit with chrome polish and the faces have no visible wear. Grooves are sharp and clean, so looking forward to playing them this weekend. I've found some good buys in the past, but nothing like these at that price. Just like a blind squirrel, every once in a while, I find a good nut.

You got more than a nut; more like the whole damned tree! :swoon:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Great find! how often do you go "shopping"?

All my Goodwill has are junk from the 60s and 70s all thrown into a large bin with ski poles and old skis.

Yup. That sound just like home. :(

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

All my Goodwill has are junk from the 60s and 70s all thrown into a large bin with ski poles and old skis.

Need to put in your time browsing. Most of what you see is junk. But choice items do appear with enough regularity to continue the hunt. In my area Salvation Army is better than Goodwill. Other areas, the opposite. During the winter months, its a waste of time looking for golf clubs. But now that spring has arrived, the clubs are returning to the bins. Walked away from a full set of FG-17's in pretty good shape last week for $25 because I've already been there, done those. Did pickup a EUC Ping Anser 2 for $2.36.

Have a circuit I run at least once a week. Usually on Monday afternoons, when the fresh weekend merch comes out. And on Wednesday, 25% off Senior Day. A nearby one, where I've had quality finds in the past, stop by 3x per week in season for a quick browse.

Helps to target thrifts near affluent areas and/or areas with a number of golf courses nearby. Seems to increase the odds of finding something worthwhile. Even have found items at Habitat for Humanity stores. For some reason, several that I frequent have a number of clubs to cull through. Also, have found items at Estate Sales. Typically, the proprietors of the sale haven't a clue on how to value golf clubs. Either they way over value, or way under value. But some of my best finds have been at estate sales. Flea markets can be worthwhile on occasion. Found a set of Mac M85 Colokrom reissues last year for $15.00. Guy didn't have a clue on what he had. Said they looked like "hard to hit irons, that no one wanted anymore".

In short, clubs are where you find them. Need to have a broad sweep and look frequently. Sooner or latter, items appear. Nice stuff on the dirt cheap. Just have to get there one step ahead of the others. Often get asked by a fellow scrounger what I'm looking for. My response is always....."Don't know for sure. But know it when I see it."

The Mizuno set above is an exceptionally good find. Those don't happen very often. But if you don't look, guaranteed what the result will be.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Need to put in your time browsing. Most of what you see is junk. But choice items do appear with enough regularity to continue the hunt. In my area Salvation Army is better than Goodwill. Other areas, the opposite. During the winter months, its a waste of time looking for golf clubs. But now that spring has arrived, the clubs are returning to the bins. Walked away from a full set of FG-17's in pretty good shape last week for $25 because I've already been there, done those. Did pickup a EUC Ping Anser 2 for $2.36.

Have a circuit I run at least once a week. Usually on Monday afternoons, when the fresh weekend merch comes out. And on Wednesday, 25% off Senior Day. A nearby one, where I've had quality finds in the past, stop by 3x per week in season for a quick browse.

Helps to target thrifts near affluent areas and/or areas with a number of golf courses nearby. Seems to increase the odds of finding something worthwhile. Even have found items at Habitat for Humanity stores. For some reason, several that I frequent have a number of clubs to cull through. Also, have found items at Estate Sales. Typically, the proprietors of the sale haven't a clue on how to value golf clubs. Either they way over value, or way under value. But some of my best finds have been at estate sales. Flea markets can be worthwhile on occasion. Found a set of Mac M85 Colokrom reissues last year for $15.00. Guy didn't have a clue on what he had. Said they looked like "hard to hit irons, that no one wanted anymore".

In short, clubs are where you find them. Need to have a broad sweep and look frequently. Sooner or latter, items appear. Nice stuff on the dirt cheap. Just have to get there one step ahead of the others. Often get asked by a fellow scrounger what I'm looking for. My response is always....."Don't know for sure. But know it when I see it."

The Mizuno set above is an exceptionally good find. Those don't happen very often. But if you don't look, guaranteed what the result will be.

Doug,

My philosophy is to go early, go often, go late, repeat!

I agree with your methods. The closer you are to affluent areas, country clubs and nice public courses, the greater your odds are of finding pro line equipment. However, since most of what we seek is of the vintage variety, EVERY thrift store, garage sale, estate sale and PIAS is a potential gold mine. Heck, I've even "garbage picked" some nice golf bags!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

My area has enough golf courses, that you never know what may show up that folks donated. I've found everything from 50's and 60's irons, a few Ping sets -eye2's zing's g2's even s59's, but most had stiff shafts, so I just turned them. Found my share of Vokey wedges, Cleveland wedges, TM burner drivers - irons and the list can go on. Being retired, the wife started me going with her to these thrift stores and at first I balked, but since I saw what was possible, now she's the one I have to prod to go. We usually go 3 or 4 times a week and since we've been at it a while, we kind of know which ones have what and the best days to go look. But the main point is that you have to go and look and often.

My very best find, outside of the Muzinos and Nike bag, was a Ping answer putter, 1967 model, that on ebay was going for between $150 and $300. I'm keeping that one and play it once in a while. Not bad for a .99 price tag buy.

Over the last few years I've found full sets of Hogan irons ('61 Power Thrusts, '87 Apex PC's, '89 Edges and several broken sets of forged Hogans). I've found full sets of MacGregor irons ('51 M85T's, '61 TA VFQ's, '67 MT Tourneys, '83 JN Muirfields and several broken sets of forged MACS). I've found a full set of '85 Spalding "Bird on Ball" Tour Editions, '63 WS "Turfriders", '60 WS Dyna-Powereds and bags of persimmon MAC woods and dozens and dozens of pro-line putters. But, I'm still hunting for the HOLY GRAIL of all putters...the 1959 Geo Low Sportsman/Bristol Melrose Park, ILL. Wizard 600 putter just like Jack's...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I think that we're all looking for The Holy Grail! Closest I came was an Arnold Palmer Original putter, the precursor to the 8802. They were asking $65 which was probably OK, but I've never paid that much for a single vintage club.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I think that we're all looking for The Holy Grail! Closest I came was an Arnold Palmer Original putter, the precursor to the 8802. They were asking $65 which was probably OK, but I've never paid that much for a single vintage club.

I actually found a Sportsman Wizard 200 MALLET putter with the TT fluted shaft, correct ferrule AND Geo Low Wizard leather grip! All I need is the blade!!! I can FRANKENSTEIN it!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Great find!!! That rivals some of my scrap yard finds

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

........Being retired, the wife started me going with her to these thrift stores and at first I balked, but since I saw what was possible, now she's the one I have to prod to go. We usually go 3 or 4 times a week and since we've been at it a while, we kind of know which ones have what and the best days to go look.

Five years ago, buying stuff at a thrift store was not on the radar screen. Wouldn't consider it. With the prodding of the Mrs., finally went along with her one day and found an old Ping Anser 029 putter. Chasing down info about it, led me to this site. And in particular, the Classic section. The rest is history. Been down the rabbit hole ever since.

Now I cannot go buy a thrift store without popping in for a look. Even bugs the Mrs. some, says that I've become compulsive, when I must stop in for a quick look when we are traveling about. But you just never know what you'll find. And not just golf equipment either. Have about a half dozen areas of interest that I peruse when thrifting.

Just found MacGregor MT #3-10 (yes, 10) irons with four pristine MT woods--9.99. Plus, there were old balls and tees in the bag's pockets. Over the years, I've found everything from Scotty putters to hickory sticks. Funny thing is, the more you look, the more you find, and the more you find, the more you accumulate. I thoroughly enjoy seeing old chrome gleam.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Wrx'er: "honey? where did you put my golf clubs when you were cleaning out the garage?"

Honey: :dntknw:

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

Popped into a thrift yesterday. In the bin was a set of Hogan PC's, 2 - E. Pretty good shape, save for two that had noticeable wear on the faces. Some surface rust that would be easy to deal with. Reshaft had been performed, TTDG S300U with Sensicore. Priced at $3.99 per. I hymned and hawed looking at them. Waggled a couple. They looked rather intimidating to hit, PC's do have a reputation. The Mrs. was becoming impatient. Walked away. The price was more than I wanted to pay, for a set of irons that I'd likely never play. If only the shafts had been R flex, would have bought them for the shafts alone.

Briefing through this thread today, getting thrifter's remorse. Maybe they'll still will be there on 25% off Senior Day. I sorta hid them (as best I could) when they were returned to the club bin.

Scrounger's conundrums are difficult. Preferring instantaneous decision making.