2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Kansas City Membership - Best Deal in Town?

dogolfer

I was a member at Brookridge for a very short period of time, had a few bad experiences, and got out ASAP.

Other than a few holes that seemed to have been severely altered due to a big dam or storage drain-thing, it is a fun short layout.

Unless they have changed things in the last 2 years, the range was insufficient. Due to the amount of members and very little amount of turf, we seemed to always be on the mats.

But if you live close, it is a decent option. The fitness center is very nicely done and the restaurant was enjoyable.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

New to actually posting but dip in to these forums relatively often for good advice and whatnot.

Has your investigation turned out anything of interest? My wife and I are looking to join a club as junior members (both <30) and just bought a home in PV almost a year ago. She grew up in Fairway so is very familiar with the 'tics of MHCC and KCCC and even if we were invited to join, we probably wouldn't. As indicated by quite a few folks, location is the biggest deal for us so we are primarily considering Milburn and Indian Hills, both of which are about equidistant from our current home. My wife used to teach tennis lessons at Milburn as a summer job during school so we are relatively familiar with that club's amentities but don't have a clue as to what their initiation fees, dues, food, etc. are running as of late since she was working there while they were re-building the clubhouse and the junior member initiation was relatively cheap (I think it was around $10k during the re-build).

As a side note, I played in a company tournament at Sycamore Ridge recently and it was a very nice course but not a big fan of driving 30+ minutes to play a round.

Thanks in advance for any details you can share!

New to actually posting but dip in to these forums relatively often for good advice and whatnot.

Has your investigation turned out anything of interest? My wife and I are looking to join a club as junior members (both <30) and just bought a home in PV almost a year ago. She grew up in Fairway so is very familiar with the 'tics of MHCC and KCCC and even if we were invited to join, we probably wouldn't. As indicated by quite a few folks, location is the biggest deal for us so we are primarily considering Milburn and Indian Hills, both of which are about equidistant from our current home. My wife used to teach tennis lessons at Milburn as a summer job during school so we are relatively familiar with that club's amentities but don't have a clue as to what their initiation fees, dues, food, etc. are running as of late since she was working there while they were re-building the clubhouse and the junior member initiation was relatively cheap (I think it was around $10k during the re-build).

As a side note, I played in a company tournament at Sycamore Ridge recently and it was a very nice course but not a big fan of driving 30+ minutes to play a round.

I went through the cost-benefit analysis of local clubs about 18 months ago including Milburn (I live on #11), Nicklaus @ Lionsgate, and Shadow Glen. Milburn was the priciest of those three but much better than MHCC, KCCC, IHCC. I know Milburn ran annual membership drives (around July) where the Junior Intermediate Membership (21-30) initiation dipped to $3,000, but normally it is around $5,000 initiation + $400 dues + $200 quarterly F&B. There is a good jump for the Intermediate Membership (30-35) and then a bigger jump for the Firm Membership (35 & over).

Taylormade TP5

I went through the cost-benefit analysis of local clubs about 18 months ago including Milburn (I live on #11), Nicklaus @ Lionsgate, and Shadow Glen. Milburn was the priciest of those three but much better than MHCC, KCCC, IHCC. I know Milburn ran annual membership drives (around July) where the Junior Intermediate Membership (21-30) initiation dipped to $3,000, but normally it is around $5,000 initiation + $400 dues + $200 quarterly F&B. There is a good jump for the Intermediate Membership (30-35) and then a bigger jump for the Firm Membership (35 & over).

That is good to know - sounds like we need to join before 30! My $10,000 initiation that I heard about through the grapevine must have been for a non-junior membership. If you hear of any membership drives (July is just around the corner) please let me know and we will look into it. My wife still has a couple connections at Milburn so may be able to stay in the know through them as well. Have you ever played Milburn? I have heard it is one of the tougher courses in KC.

That is good to know - sounds like we need to join before 30! My $10,000 initiation that I heard about through the grapevine must have been for a non-junior membership.

Based on the last membership brochure I received, $10,000 initiation is the Firm Membership (35 & over).

Have you ever played Milburn? I have heard it is one of the tougher courses in KC.

I have played Milburn 5-6 times and firmly believe it is one of the best tracks in the city. And you're right, it is tough. They just hosted the (Tom) Watson Challenge featuring some of the best pros and amateurs in the city. Only four finished par or better, and Tom shot 76-77-69. They always have the best greens in the city, maybe only behind Prairie Dunes and Lawrence CC in the state.

I just wish they were a little more flexible when I wanted to join. I bought my house as the membership drive was ending, couldn't make the full initiation fee work, and they refused to extend the membership drive offer. A few months later, after I already joined Lionsgate, they reached out again and extended the membership drive offer, but it was too late.

Taylormade TP5

i have never played milburn but have heard similar. A big item for me when it comes to clubs is the walkability.

Some of the semi-private places are absolutely horrendous for walking i.e. Iron horse, Falcon Ridge, heritage, sycamore

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

i have never played milburn but have heard similar. A big item for me when it comes to clubs is the walkability.

Some of the semi-private places are absolutely horrendous for walking i.e. Iron horse, Falcon Ridge, heritage, sycamore

Milburn has the largest concentration of walkers I've ever witnessed. Other than events such as charity tournaments and KC Cup matches, I'd guess 80% of their membership walks daily. It is actually pretty cool to see! It has some good elevation changes, but the routing is easily walked with very short trips green-to-tee.

Taylormade TP5

anyone that knows care to post or pm me what Lionsgate's initiation dues are now for 40 and under? I just sent my cancellation notice to Brookridge but have commitment until March 31st 2018.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

Milburn has the largest concentration of walkers I've ever witnessed. Other than events such as charity tournaments and KC Cup matches, I'd guess 80% of their membership walks daily. It is actually pretty cool to see! It has some good elevation changes, but the routing is easily walked with very short trips green-to-tee.

Sycamore Ridge was definitely not walkable and I'm pretty sure there was actually a sign that said no pedestrian traffic on the course. Seemed like the cart ride to the first tee took almost 10 minutes. My round there was for a company tournament so it was nice to have the cart for that, but in general I prefer to walk, myself.

We played our first round at Brookridge yesterday. We've used the pool and fitness center many times over the last month. Great food actually and not bad prices. As I stated we joined the 9 hole membership which still allows me to play 18 6 times a year when I want. It is a fun short track for the most part. I've not really had any bad experiences as of yet other than their website is not working at all.

For the $275/mo with unlimited carts and 9 holes its not a bad option for us. The fitness center is awesome because there is rarely anyone in there.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5
TaylorMade 3W 15º | Diamana Fairway 75 X
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron 20º | Diamana Thump 100 X
TaylorMade P770 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG2 52º & 56º  | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60º  | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
TaylorMade TP5 | TP5x

Sun Mountain C-130 Cart Bag

• 3 months later...

I could be relocating to either Overland Park or Lawrence in the coming weeks. This thread has been helpful about the golf landscape. I had a couple of other questions and was hoping that some of you in the know could chime in.

In terms of Milburn, Lions Gate, and Shadow Glen, is there one of those clubs that has more good players and/or some really good scratch games to get in? Or are you basically at the mercy of trying to put together your own games each week?

And second, how is Lawrence Country Club and how does it compare from a golf/game standpoint to the three courses I mentioned above?

Thanks.

Jayhawk Club in Lawrence would be a better option than LCC imo.

What is the current status of the Jayhawk Club? Last I heard, they weren't close to 18 playable holes. I am intrigued to see the finished product.

LCC has Top-5 greens in the state.

Taylormade TP5

For anyone wondering I've been shopping around for a club as well. This what Shadow Glen is currently offering.

"We are currently at our capacity for Intermediate membership (age 34 and below) but will have availability on March 1st. The first 5 on our waitlist pay social dues and do have access to our golf amenities at ½ the guest rates. You would be the second on the wait list. Our initiation fee for Intermediate membership is 50% of our full initiation of $8,000, or $4,000+tax. This is due upfront.

You will only pay social dues while on the waitlist. These are $145/month. Monthly dues for Intermediate members are $448.75+tax. We do not require food & beverage minimums, locker fees, club storage fees, range fees or shoe shine/service fees. These amenities are included for all members and their families."

Shadow Glen is one of the best deals in town. It is debatable whether it is the best course in town, but it assuredly the best practice facility. It is just a jaunt out there from most of the KC metro. And the course is unwalkable, so you need to consider $20/round or +$1,000/year for carts.

Taylormade TP5

• 1 month later...

Was lucky enough to be a member at Shadow Glen and then Hallbrook.

IMO, the three best courses in KC:

1. Shadow Glen

2. The National

3. Hallbrook

The most exclusive clubs are likely:

1. KC

2. Mission Hills

3. Hallbrook and/or Indian Hills

Shadow, Hallbrook are great deals these days, especially for under 40 folks.

KC has great public and private golf for the price.

I think the National is the most underrated.

Definitely the best turf quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be relocating to either Overland Park or Lawrence in the coming weeks. This thread has been helpful about the golf landscape. I had a couple of other questions and was hoping that some of you in the know could chime in.

In terms of Milburn, Lions Gate, and Shadow Glen, is there one of those clubs that has more good players and/or some really good scratch games to get in? Or are you basically at the mercy of trying to put together your own games each week?

And second, how is Lawrence Country Club and how does it compare from a golf/game standpoint to the three courses I mentioned above?

Thanks.

LCC has all the games you could want.

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

Stopped by the Jayhawk Club earlier this week just to have a look around. Was told there are currently nine holes open for play and the expectation is that all will be open in May 2018. Judging by the looks of things, that's a very optimistic plan although it appears that all of the greens are in and covered so once they start laying sod things should move pretty quickly. Nonetheless, there's still a TON of course construction underway and they'd better hope the weather continues to be as cooperative as it's been thus far.

Kind of weird to see apartments where #10 on the private side used to be and #10 on the public side is now a street fronting the apartments. I can't even imagine how many trees were removed. From the clubhouse looking northwest, you can now see Bob Billings Parkway all the way to the top of the hill. That used to be pretty dang dense timber.

For Jayhawk fans, the new facilities are kind of cool in that they're styled to look kind of like Allen Fieldhouse with faux sandstone walls and pillars. The pro shop, clubhouse and restaurant are in the old private clubhouse which has been completely renovated and, while nice, wasn't quite what we were expecting.

We also thought that the apartment buildings were pretty cheesy looking although I'm sure they're priced like prime real estate.

When I inquired as to the initiation fee, the young lady that was showing us around kind of quietly said, "250".

Gonna be a pretty exclusive joint I guess.........

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Stopped by the Jayhawk Club earlier this week just to have a look around. Was told there are currently nine holes open for play and the expectation is that all will be open in May 2018. Judging by the looks of things, that's a very optimistic plan although it appears that all of the greens are in and covered so once they start laying sod things should move pretty quickly. Nonetheless, there's still a TON of course construction underway and they'd better hope the weather continues to be as cooperative as it's been thus far.

Kind of weird to see apartments where #10 on the private side used to be and #10 on the public side is now a street fronting the apartments. I can't even imagine how many trees were removed. From the clubhouse looking northwest, you can now see Bob Billings Parkway all the way to the top of the hill. That used to be pretty dang dense timber.

For Jayhawk fans, the new facilities are kind of cool in that they're styled to look kind of like Allen Fieldhouse with faux sandstone walls and pillars. The pro shop, clubhouse and restaurant are in the old private clubhouse which has been completely renovated and, while nice, wasn't quite what we were expecting.

We also thought that the apartment buildings were pretty cheesy looking although I'm sure they're priced like prime real estate.

When I inquired as to the initiation fee, the young lady that was showing us around kind of quietly said, "250".

She did not mean $250k. $250.00 is more likely.

She did not mean $250k. $250.00 is more likely.

If you say so but I don't know why they would even bother for $250 though. As we were leaving I even asked my brother if "250" was what she said and he replied, "It sure was." She also said that it was $450 per month ($5100 annually) for a "limited geographical membership for a single for folks living thirty miles or more outside of Lawrence."

There was some other deal that allowed you to play six times in a YEAR Monday thru Thursday afternoons only and you weren't allowed to participate in club sponsored activities such as member/guest tournaments but I don't remember what that cost.

Regardless, since Great Life is currently running a deal for $150 per month for a FAMILY with cart to play any of their courses I think we'll be sticking to that. Plus, four of the included courses are going private after the first of the year. Might not be Shadow Glen or the Jayhawk Club but still a pretty amazing deal.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Regardless, since Great Life is currently running a deal for $150 per month for a FAMILY with cart to play any of their courses I think we'll be sticking to that. Plus, four of the included courses are going private after the first of the year. Might not be Shadow Glen or the Jayhawk Club but still a pretty amazing deal.

Buyer beware with Great Life. You've probably read my other comments in this post about them. It was certainly the cheaper option, but it was a classic case of "you get what you pay for" in my experience.

I did the Classic Plus tier with Deer Creek in 2017 as my "home course". It was a waste of money, especially considering that you have to sign a 12-month contract with boilerplate language to make it auto-renew. Go read the google reviews about Deer Creek. Most are reviewing the place as a wedding venue, which should tell you where the priorities are in terms of being an event space vs. a golf course. You will have to skip the first hole in the summer because it's setup for a ceremony. The handful of reviews that speak to the golf course will tell you all you need to know, e.g., unplayable bunkers, trees overgrown around several teeboxes, other teeboxes not level and missing grass. Number 17 is a short par 4 that had tee markers placed all together in the fairway most of the year. They never really got their greens rolling, especially after punching them in April. There were still holes in the greens well into the summer. I have a friend who still plays there, and he's run into 8somes (not a typo, 8somes) on the course. Outside events are their lifeblood, so much that it's at best a 50/50 whether you'll be able to play mid-week due to some corporate scramble or league play. These same folks play slow and trash the course, both in the literal sense of leaving beer cans everywhere and in the sense that apparently none of them can be bothered to fix pitch marks or fill divots. I can't forget to mention that the "practice facilities" consist of an oft-neglected putting green and four hitting bays with golf balls that have seen more action and abuse than combat veterans. Weekend rounds will take five hours.

Also, I have to agree with the other comment that there is no way Jayhawk Club wants $250k to join. That would be among the highest initiation fees in the world. Still, I'm with you that $250 seems so nominal as to make me ask "Why bother?". Should be interesting when finished, but it sounds like that might be one to stay away from at least for now.

Rather than just rant about Great Life, I'd like to offer a suggestion. I've joined Lionsgate and have been pleased overall. It's not perfect, but initiation is crazy low right now (especially for junior members). If Lionsgate doesn't work out in the long-term, then I like Ironhorse for folks located in Leawood/Overland Park. Practice facilities are phenomenal for a public course, and it's a fun track. Bunkers were recently redone, which has helped. I think they struggle with pace of play and outside events like any other public course, but to a lesser extent. Ironhorse shut down completely for a year in I think 2007 or 2008, and that's when a lot of scrambles/corporate rounds moved to Deer Creek. If you're an Overland Park resident, then St. Andrews is actually an alright course. If you buy an annual "Patron Card" for I think $40, then I think you can play 18 holes for about $20. Main problem with OP munis is pace of play and fivesomes.

My one gripe with Great Life is the number of outside tournaments/scrambles they put on their courses. Deer Creek is not one of the courses I regularly play so I can't comment on it's condition, but for me the price has been well worth it and it's been a tremendous deal. I understand that the outside tournaments are what allows the general fees to be low, so it's a give/take in that department.

The course I play has been improved greatly since great life took over and it's great that I can play other courses to mix it up as needed. Sucks to hear about the condition of DC, hopefully they improve it. It's a pretty good course.

You all might check out Canyon Farms. They are in the process of building a spectacular club house and while it is part of Great Life Golf they treat Canyon as more of a separate entity.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I would love to be a member at Lions Gate but logistically it's just impractical for us as it's just too far from home to play on a regular basis.

As for Great Life, I too, have had my issues with them as have many others that I know. Most complaints stem from unfulfilled promises for which they are notorious. They are also terrible at communicating with members and always seem to be operating behind some sort of shroud of secrecy. The current $150 per month dues promotion being a prime example. It supposedly "started" on 7 November and, despite the fact that we play at least two or three times a week, we knew nothing about it until the second week of December when a staff member brought it to our attention.

When even the members are not aware of a referral based membership drive something is getting lost in the translation.

Nonetheless, it is my opinion that they currently represent the best golf value in and around the Kansas City area. I live at Falcon Lakes but no longer play there due to the price, constant outside tournaments and management issues. Lakes also is implementing a 15% across the board price increase for 2018 which will put them on par with Staley Farms which has a far superior golf course, clubhouse and amenities.

I belonged to Canyon Farms for a couple of years but left due to the aforementioned failed promises and poor maintenance. It seems that now, more than three full years later, those promises are coming to fruition but it is my understanding that it has been inspired and funded by outside dollars and not Great Life. However, with a $5000 initiation fee and a family rate of around $5000 per year it just doesn't make sense for us when we can play Falcon Ridge (which is literally across the street) for no initiation and $1800 per year. I've personally never cared much for the layout at Canyon Farms anyway and the new clubhouse is of no real interest to my wife or me. If we were going to spend anywhere near that kind of money we would be at Shadow Glen.

As for the excessive tournament play, that's just kind of status quo these days at all but the most exclusive clubs in town and is pretty much the price of doing business. However, one of the prime benefits of the Great Life membership is that there are a dozen other courses at our disposal when tournaments preclude us from playing one or the other. Certainly not the case at a place like Falcon Lakes where an outside event simply shuts down the operation for a day and the member is just out of luck.

We also appreciate the option of playing the higher tier, currently private courses on occasion such as Canyon Farms, Staley and St. Joe Country Club as they are available Monday thru Wednesday for a $30 cart fee. Not a big deal but a nice perk.

Regarding course conditions, I agree that they can vary wildly throughout the Great Life venues although we played Deer Creek ten or twelve times this year and other than the bunkers didn't encounter the issues described above. The greens were always quite good as were tees and fairways. While it's not one of my favorite courses in town it makes for a decent alternative when we're looking for a little variety or are wanting to play on a day when a tournament is booked closer to home. Prairie Highlands is a very good layout but also has had bunkers that we have constituted ground under repair for most of the last two years. The maintenance crew actually does a pretty good job of maintaining them and while they're basically dirt, they're always "manicured" however best they can be. We just choose not to play out of them.

Management assures us that all of the bunkers at Deer Creek and Prairie will be renovated for 2018 but, again, it's Great Life so I'll believe it when I see it.

Many of the lower tier courses such as the old Leavenworth Country Club are not worth the time and effort in my opinion but seem to fill a niche for local folks who don't mind inferior conditions so long as they can save a buck and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

If Great Life does indeed follow through with their stated intentions of making Falcon Ridge, Deer Creek, Prairie Highlands and Hillcrest private in 2018 then they will have certainly established a bit of dominance over what were typically considered to be higher end public facilities around town. And, at what pretty much amounts to the price of three green fees per month most places, will provide members with unlimited golf with cart at what currently totals 13 courses with another five available for the $30 cart fee including Tall Grass in Wichita and Osage National at Lake of the Ozarks.

No place is without its warts and Great Life is certainly nowhere near perfect but, for us, it currently represents the best value around town for our golfing dollars. When that ceases to be the case, we'll look elsewhere. Again.

As volatile as the golf industry has become, change is the only constant and you pretty much have to be able and ready to adapt on at least a yearly basis.

I'm afraid the good 'ol days of thirty and forty year family club memberships that were passed down for generations are gone for good. Too much competition and too many options tend to compromise any sense of loyalty and for good reason.

Merry Christmas and good luck to all. I hope everybody finds the facility and price point that best meets their needs for 2018!

Very good post Vernon. I think that golf clubs in general are not good at communication, but I'll agree that they could communicate better. You hit the nail on the head when it comes to price/needs combination. So far I personally haven't seen a promise go unfulfilled that I'm aware of. At Hillcrest there have been a number of renovations. Improved bar downstairs, addition of better food, opened the pool in 2017, and recently I saw some people repairing the roof at the clubhouse.

I'd like to see the teir go private for my own benefit, but my gut says they still need the daily fee money influx. However if I could trade, I'd take private + all the tournaments vs daily fee. I know there are days I can't play at home, but I have options. Then when there isnt' a tournament, there aren't as many people out there to contend with.

I'm very intrigued with the great life model and i believe it can work and work well. There are a ton of golfers out there that don't want to drop 5-10 grand up front in initiation and then be locked into a single course most of the time. They would like some varieity, but have the club experience. If the teir goes private I really hope they institute greens committees and other member committees so that they have a say in what goes on.

Let the members decide on some of the budget.

I completely agree that the concept is both intriguing and unique and displays great potential - especially at the current price point. But this ain't their first rodeo nor did they just arrive on the scene a couple of months ago. I would think by now they would have a little bit better handle on this.

One of my huge peeves in life is inattention to detail and sometimes I believe that Great Life was born to push me over the edge. Websites that go unattended are a prime example. For instance, there's a link on the Falcon Ridge site for "Course Conditions and Updates."

Why you might ask? Because the most recent post is dated April of 2016!

If you're not going to monitor and update it, delete the danged thing!

The "Events" link will inform you about the Club Championship dates and times. Great to know except it was last October!

I know that this sort of thing isn't exclusive to Great Life and doesn't really matter in the big picture but it is also unnecessary and an easy fix. If you're not going to stay on top of the low hanging fruit type of stuff then what does that say about your ability to handle the important things going forward?

And people notice this stuff.

It is also almost impossible to find anything pertinent to the membership special that I referred to in my previous post. There is a copy of the flyer that pops up on several of the course websites but it provides very little in the way of specifics. No mention about carts being included, no expiration date for the offer, etc.

If you inquire as to whether of not range privileges are included in the deal, you will be told that they don't know yet. WHAT?

The latest newsletter from Staley Farms did at least make mention of the waiving of initiation fees and the new lower monthly fee but it was at the bottom of the page after the New Year's Eve party promotion.

I've seen nothing in the paper, heard nothing on sports radio and, other than a couple of flyers that all look alike, have seen zip in the way of marketing or promotion on site. A guy would really have to go out of his way to access any information about this deal.

Likewise they are offering the same deal to all law enforcement, first responders and military both active duty and retired. Great idea! Except I happen to know quite of few guys that fall into this category and not a single one of them know anything about it. AND, neither did we until I saw it a few days ago posted on the Great Life Facebook page - post dated 12 December.

We were told a year ago that Falcon Ridge would become private once they had 400 members. Then we were told that all of the courses in that tier would become private no later than 1 April 2018 or sooner once total membership for the tier totaled 1600.

However, and again, I've seen zero mention of this on any of the Great Life websites, individual course websites or promotional flyers posted at Falcon Ridge, Prairie Highlands or Deer Creek. I would think the thought of these facilities being private clubs would be a great enticement for future members.

That is, if anybody knew about it.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, none of these things represent a showstopper so far as our being members or the golf courses or even being satisfied with our membership but they are both frustrating and bewildering and give a very poor impression of Great Life as an ownership/management group that sells itself as a first class golf/fitness/lifestyle outfit.

But what do I know?