Posts regarding Bethpage

chas521

Went yesterday as a walk up. Showed up at 5:30AM and was at the back of the parking lot line. Didn't think I would get out reasonably early as the line wrapped around pretty far. In any event, I got a 7:40 on which were available on Green, Yellow, and earlier on the Blue. Red was sold out until Noon. Much to my surprise that I got a 7:40 considering the first tee time is 7AM. Even more of a surprise is when I got up to the window, there was a Black 8 something for 4 available. First Tee at Black is 8:21. So it was within the first 5 tee groups.

Just figured I check in on what the scheduling is like these days. Greens on the Yellow rolled true, a little slow. Fairway a little shaggy for Bethpage standards, but tip top when considering even the higher end daily fee courses.

Do all the courses have walk-up times that cannot be booked in the reservation system or is it just the Black? I don't mind getting there really early if we can get a time..

I am not sure. I have been playing Bethpage for 20 years and I have never attempted to make a tee time even being registered in their system. I did attempt to make one Saturday night for yesterday and the earliest time was for the Blue at 11 something so I just showed up and got in line like I have been doing for the past two decades.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. When I got the reservation line it said that the Green was the walk up course so I think I'll pass on getting up early for that. I will keep trying the Reservation line to see if there is a cancellation...

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Thanks for the info. When I got the reservation line it said that the Green was the walk up course so I think I'll pass on getting up early for that. I will keep trying the Reservation line to see if there is a cancellation...

Just to give you some idea, my friend got a reservation on the Green for next Sunday at 11 using the phone's reservation system. He wanted the Green so what can I say. It is kinda late!

Managed to get a single on the Blue at 8:04 on Friday so at least my son can get to see that course before he plays his tournament at the weekend. Kinda sucks that I don't get to play one round at Bethpage over a 3 day stay but such is life! I will keep hitting the reservation line ?

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I will be there with him and will walk the course with him. So I will show my ID at checkin. He is 13 so not sure how he could get a reservation # on his own. Anyway, hopefully a time frees up and we get a time together..

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Best bet as far as I can see is to get a reservation for two.

EDIT: FYI, the 6th hole of the Blue might be one of the hardest holes on LI to get to the green in regulation but it's not impossible. I've played the Blue around 500 times so if you need to know something about it, just ask.

You might need to kinda sneak on since I can't see the starter letting a 5some go out even though you're not playing. There's one starter who's a real dick and it's just your luck that he'll be assigned to the Blue that day. Any ideas?

Wanted to get some info about this. I live in NY and am registered in the Bethpage system, but my brother still lives in NJ. I'm guessing I can't make a (weekend) tee time for 2 players without dealing with some headaches.

Managed to get a single on the Blue at 8:04 on Friday so at least my son can get to see that course before he plays his tournament at the weekend. Kinda sucks that I don't get to play one round at Bethpage over a 3 day stay but such is life! I will keep hitting the reservation line

Tomorrow is the cutoff to cancel without incurring a fee. Spots almost always open up. You have a good chance and snagging something, especially just for 2. Call often. Learn the # sequence for the reservation and you won't have to listen to the recording, i.e. hit 1 right off the bat to skip the opening recording and memorize your license # that will speed things up.

2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
TM P790 UDI #2
TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
TM Spider Putter

You might need to kinda sneak on since I can't see the starter letting a 5some go out even though you're not playing. There's one starter who's a real dick and it's just your luck that he'll be assigned to the Blue that day. Any ideas?

Wanted to get some info about this. I live in NY and am registered in the Bethpage system, but my brother still lives in NJ. I'm guessing I can't make a (weekend) tee time for 2 players without dealing with some headaches.

It's really not difficult. NYers pay resident rates and can book 7 days in advance. Out of state pays non resi rates and can book 5 days in advance now I think. Both up to 4 players. Check in an hour in advance for the Black and 45 Min for the others. Doesn't matter who makes up your group your id just determines if your paying resi or non-resi rate to play at the window.

2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
TM P790 UDI #2
TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
TM Spider Putter

It's really not difficult. NYers pay resident rates and can book 7 days in advance. Out of state pays non resi rates and can book 5 days in advance now I think. Both up to 4 players. Check in an hour in advance for the Black and 45 Min for the others. Doesn't matter who makes up your group your id just determines if your paying resi or non-resi rate to play at the window.

I'm not too sure about getting to the cashier by 45 minutes. That's kinda cutting it close. They recommend one hour for all courses, I believe they give you a 20 minute leeway before you are cancelled out of the system and lose that day's reservation.

EDIT: It's only the reservation holder that must be there one hour before tee time. The others can get there whenever.

Thanks to Chas521 and PThomas for their advice in this thread. Ended up getting a two slot on the Red in the early AM. Am really excited to play. Will see if we can get some holes in on the Blue later in the afternoon.

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Thanks to Chas521 and PThomas for their advice in this thread. Ended up getting a two slot on the Red in the early AM. Am really excited to play. Will see if we can get some holes in on the Blue later in the afternoon.

When are you playing? Red is due for aeration starting 10/24 - I think that's correct. Now that I think about it and use my head, you're fine. BTW, you will enjoy the Red. Incidentally, FYI, Blue is one of the more hilly courses. A fast history lesson for you. Years ago before the Black was built-up for the pros, the Blue was the signature Bethpage course where most of the local tournies took place. It received more of the money than the others and is still in pretty good shape.

EDIT: Let us know how you made out playing.

Had a great day today at Bethpage. Off the Red at 8:45. My son shot 70 off of the 6100 yard tees and i shot 74 off of the whites which is 6550 (par 70). Some great holes on the Red 1, 9, 10, 15 and 18 were all really solid par 4s and 16 is a fun par 5. Overall it was a solid course. Not great. Conditions were a little iffy. It was very wet and the greens were terribly slow. Of course it probably did not help looking over to the Black and seeing 1, 17 and 18 which look just amazing :). One other very nice bonus - morning round finished in 4 hours exactly. After hearing all the horror stories of 5-6 hour rounds that was a nice surprise.

After grabbing some lunch we snagged a 2pm tee-time on the Blue. I played the blues 6700 and my son played 6100. We shot 75 and 76 respectively. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the blue. Some funky holes like 4 and 18 but overall I think I might have liked it a bit more than the Red. Maybe because I wasn't expecting anything from it.. Again we were done in 4 hours so we got to hang out on the patio and have dinner. Very cool spot and it's kind of fun seeing all the people trying to finish the Black course in the pitch dark :). Most people looked totally beat after that walk up 18 and I guess that course in general.

So 36 holes of walking and several adult beverages later and I am exhausted but it was totally worth it for a fun day of golf. Overall VERY impressed with the facility and next time I come here to play I am definitely going to try and play the Black!

My sons tourney starts tomorrow. Blue on Sat and Red on Sunday.

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Glad to hear that you had a great time. It sounds like it was worth all the crap you had to go through to get there. You would really like the courses in June when the new grass has come in and is kinda thick. This time of the year the grass isn't growing as well and the maintenance isn't that great since Winter is around the corner. Nevertheless, all the courses are in pretty good shape considering that Bethpage is a public course. If you think the Blue was hilly, just wait until you get to the Black. It looks flat on TV but no way in real life.

Both you guys shot great! Have to know. Did you make the first hole on Red in 2? It's a 460 hole that plays 490 because of the hill. I've played it hundreds of time with many people and I have NEVER seen anyone ON the green in two. Around the green yes but NOT on the green. It's a par 5 for me! LOL. Tell me how you did Blue 6th hole. Another par 5 for me.

The Black is phenomenal. You're gonna love playing it. Pros love it too. As a single you should have no trouble getting on. More than one can get tough though especially with the PGA coming soon.

EDIT: Still doubt [very much] that your short game sucks!!!

Glad to hear that you had a great time. It sounds like it was worth all the crap you had to go through to get there. You would really like the courses in June when the new grass has come in and is kinda thick. This time of the year the grass isn't growing as well and the maintenance isn't that great since Winter is around the corner. Nevertheless, all the courses are in pretty good shape considering that Bethpage is a public course. If you think the Blue was hilly, just wait until you get to the Black. It looks flat on TV but no way in real life.

Both you guys shot great! Have to know. Did you make the first hole on Red in 2? It's a 460 hole that plays 490 because of the hill. I've played it hundreds of time with many people and I have NEVER seen anyone ON the green in two. Around the green yes but NOT on the green. It's a par 5 for me! LOL. Tell me how you did Blue 6th hole. Another par 5 for me.

The Black is phenomenal. You're gonna love playing it. Pros love it too. As a single you should have no trouble getting on. More than one can get tough though especially with the PGA coming soon.

EDIT: Still doubt [very much] that your short game sucks!!!

Thanks. My son played his first round of the tourney today on the blue and shot +2. Not a good day on the greens for him. Had a couple of careless 3 putts on the front 9 and missed a short par putt on 18. Two boys are at -1 with another at level par so hoping for a better day on the Red tomorrow...

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

MyShortGameSucks and I were planning to meet today at Bethpage. However, due to the weather, Bethpage cancelled all reservations without penalty so no golf for me today. His son is scheduled to play the Red today in a tournament [if it happens] so everyone have good thoughts for him. :golfer:

• 5 weeks later...

Played Bethpage Yellow yesterday. Turned out to be a major mistake. Was supposed to play Green yesterday but switched when I heard that the Green greens were in terrible shape. Recently aerated but thought that the major rain we had a couple of days ago would hasten the repair - it didn't! Yellow greens were aerated over a month ago. However, they were recently top dressed. The weatherman kinda screwed up yesterday because the rain and mist were pretty constant instead of the intermittent that was forecast. So with the constant wet, when the ball was on the green or in a bunker, it was a mess. Quit after 9 holes because it was that bad. Probably my last round of 2017 since next weekend is forecast to be in the 40s. :censored2:

A group of us were out of staters and were playing Engineers on a weekday morning, so wanted to try and get on Bethpage Black in the afternoon. We showed up just before 7 am and snagged an early afternoon tee time. This was early October. Pretty effortless.

I liked Bethpage Black a lot more than I thought I would. Beyond the challenge, it's strategic and not as penal as I thought it would be. It's easy to get out of position, but almost always allows a chance at recovery. The holes were really large in scale, each one memorable and distinct and the greens rolled true and were not overly difficult, which was consistent for emphasizing the challenge from tee to green.

I'll be back next season and hopefully will play the Red as well.