2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

How to pick vintage wedges - help

Just wondering how to go about selecting a set of wedges. I have several mis-matched wedges to choose from now, all of the no-name thrift store variety.

How would you go about outfitting a vintage bag with a gap, sand, and lob wedge, assuming the pitching wedge matched the rest of your irons OR you were happy with your pitching wedge?

Now this may be subjective but if you are really going "vintage" skip the gap and lob wedge. Back in the day one did not need a gap wedge because most pitching wedges were any where from 49 to 51* Most sand wedges were 55* to 56* we did not have lob wedges until the late 80s early 90s. Most of us old timers used the sand wedge and hit flops by opening up the face. Now I will add another thing back in the day courses were not built where you had to hit an extreme high flop shot like they do now. Also greens were thicker and not as slick. We learned to work with what we had.

As far as wedge type selection it is what ever you find and like as far as brands. Me I am a Macgregor iron man but only like a select few of their wedges. Mostly I play older Wilson,Cleveland or Hogan wedges. Even with my modern irons (listed in my signature) I only carry technically 3 wedges which is an oddity today. Really my "Pitching wedge" in my modern irons the loft is around the same as an old Mac 9 iron.

Hope I did not confuse you too much and just because I said it does not make it chiseled in stone correct

Personally I have always mixed and matched brands of wedges in both modern and vintage. Good example in one of my vintage sets the 52 Mac Toski set I absolutely can not stand that PW so I use one of my many Hogan Equalizers at 50* along with a JP Wilson 56* which is just like the one I carry in my signature set. I have carried mixed wedges as long as I can remember

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

In my opinion ,Bigg Stu is correct. Tiger Woods 9 iron is Rory's pitching wedge. If you go back to the forties specs,consider length and bounce. Those clubs were designed for hard pan and poor conditions. Remember that the course record Mike Souchack shot at Breckinridge Park in Texas was off rubber mat tees and rock hard fairways. today's fairways would not have been much different than those greens.

CHARLEY PENNA

In my opinion ,Bigg Stu is correct. Tiger Woods 9 iron is Rory's pitching wedge. If you go back to the forties specs,consider length and bounce. Those clubs were designed for hard pan and poor conditions. Remember that the course record Mike Souchack shot at Breckinridge Park in Texas was off rubber mat tees and rock hard fairways. today's fairways would not have been much different than those greens.

CHARLEY PENNA

Thanks Mr Penna-- I grew up in the Carolinas on public courses and those red clay fairways were hard in the summer and LOL we never heard of fairway irrigation. Makes me wonder sometimes how far the modern ball would bounce and roll in those fairways. They did not do too bad with the old Balata and those small "English Sized" balls as we called them would run like a Texas jackrabbit on them.

You may also want to consider an RSF type wedge (Rough, Sand, Fairway.) I carry one with my Mizzy set and with my 75 Staffs I carry a low bounce Lynx NC SandWedge that I can comfortably hit from about any surface from about 70 yards in.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Well, the experts have spoken. Can't get any better real world advice than that.

All I can add, is, I've got a number of vintage wedges, but when I'm putting the clubs in the bag for a round that counts, whether it be pocket change, or folding money, there's only one, or two out of the lot I consider.

Finding that "right" wedge, the one you have confidence in is like finding a good tee club, it takes the burden of doubt out of your game.

Well, the experts have spoken. Can't get any better real world advice than that.

All I can add, is, I've got a number of vintage wedges, but when I'm putting the clubs in the bag for a round that counts, whether it be pocket change, or folding money, there's only one, or two out of the lot I consider.

Finding that "right" wedge, the one you have confidence in is like finding a good tee club, it takes the burden of doubt out of your game.

Truer words have not been spoken! In fact, I might suggest employing the same technique to club selection across the bag. It's not so much about how many weapons you have, but having the selection of weapons that give you the most confidence to make the best attempt possible at whatever shot you're trying to pull off.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Now this may be subjective but if you are really going "vintage" skip the gap and lob wedge. Back in the day one did not need a gap wedge because most pitching wedges were any where from 49 to 51* Most sand wedges were 55* to 56* we did not have lob wedges until the late 80s early 90s. Most of us old timers used the sand wedge and hit flops by opening up the face. Now I will add another thing back in the day courses were not built where you had to hit an extreme high flop shot like they do now. Also greens were thicker and not as slick. We learned to work with what we had.

As far as wedge type selection it is what ever you find and like as far as brands. Me I am a Macgregor iron man but only like a select few of their wedges. Mostly I play older Wilson,Cleveland or Hogan wedges. Even with my modern irons (listed in my signature) I only carry technically 3 wedges which is an oddity today. Really my "Pitching wedge" in my modern irons the loft is around the same as an old Mac 9 iron.

Hope I did not confuse you too much and just because I said it does not make it chiseled in stone correct

Personally I have always mixed and matched brands of wedges in both modern and vintage. Good example in one of my vintage sets the 52 Mac Toski set I absolutely can not stand that PW so I use one of my many Hogan Equalizers at 50* along with a JP Wilson 56* which is just like the one I carry in my signature set. I have carried mixed wedges as long as I can remember

big thumbs up to Wilson especially JP wedges, and Cleveland 588's. Titleist Vokey are OK too, but prefer the other 2.

Your wedges have to match the shots you are able to hit with each.

The more shots you have, or want to trust, the more wedges you can bag.

On the other hand, being great at 1 or 2 shots may best be played with only 1 or 2 wedges in the bag.

Modern grinds and shaft innovations/improvements have added shot possibilities. But, if you just want vintage wedges, the choices are narrower, and the number of wedges you'll likely bag are fewer.

For many years I've collected the personal wedges of great Tour players, and tried to observe and learn the shots they hit with them. If I wanted to minimize wedges, I'd just play a Wilson DynaPower SW - many all time great players did - including the great Arnold Palmer and Lee Trevino! However, my studies have resulted in my playing chips with a 50* Ray Floyd club, bunker and rough pitches with a Jose Maria Olazabal 56* SW, and lobs and short bunker shots with a Phil Rodgers 62* Tour Rusty wedge. (An observation interesting to me, is that Ray Floyd's 50* had an extra, extra stiff shaft, the JMO SW had an X shaft, and the Phil Rodgers had a soft S-200 shaft. Makes sense,trajectory-wise, but not many amateurs would set their clubs up like this).

The grinds and shafts chosen by the great players to hit these shots are way better than anything I could invent!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

it seems when going backwards in time there were more true specialty clubs, wedges that were designed purely for use in sand and purely designed for pitching. Some of the wedges like the Sandy Andy or the Sure Out might be a bit dicey from firm turf. The R-90 is always an interesting choice when talking vintage, but in my mind the gold standard are the Wilson wedges from the 60's and 70's. Most had somewhat of a grind on the heel area and could be used from both the sand and from the fairway.

There are also some dual purpose wedges out there, I think MacGregor had one, IIRC they had more of a versatile sole grind and were more around 54*.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Well I have a RAM pitching wedge that I really like, and have used out of the sand with great success. I think it is a 1970's wedge. Gene Littler Registered model. Kind of beat up, but I like it. It has a spot on the toe that looks like someone tried to break a rock with it, but I filed most of that off.

I'll look for a Wilson Sand Wedge. What is a JP wedge?

Edit: Ok, I found out. Found some on the bay. On the watch list.

it seems when going backwards in time there were more true specialty clubs, wedges that were designed purely for use in sand and purely designed for pitching. Some of the wedges like the Sandy Andy or the Sure Out might be a bit dicey from firm turf. The R-90 is always an interesting choice when talking vintage, but in my mind the gold standard are the Wilson wedges from the 60's and 70's. Most had somewhat of a grind on the heel area and could be used from both the sand and from the fairway.

There are also some dual purpose wedges out there, I think MacGregor had one, IIRC they had more of a versatile sole grind and were more around 54*.

Both Macgregor and Wilson had triple duty wedges and yes both are around 54 or 55*

Well I have a RAM pitching wedge that I really like, and have used out of the sand with great success. I think it is a 1970's wedge. Gene Littler Registered model. Kind of beat up, but I like it. It has a spot on the toe that looks like someone tried to break a rock with it, but I filed most of that off.

I'll look for a Wilson Sand Wedge. What is a JP wedge?

Edit: Ok, I found out. Found some on the bay. On the watch list.

A Wilson JP wedge is basically a custom grind wedge but there were some stock items too. Great feeling wedges and good weight too. They varied over the years some. They also have a version in PW which is around 50* the sand wedges are 55 or 56 *. There are some varience to the soles and some have different off sets too in the neck. IMHO they are very interesting. BTW JP stands for Joe Phillips one of the Wilson designers do not get him mixed up with the "newest greatest" wedge designer James Patrick. That is why I have the one wedge listed in my signature as a "real JP" as in Joe Phillips. You would not believe the PM messages I have gotten from people asking or saying you mean James Patrick dont you?

I found the Dyna Power sw so versatile that it is in the bag no matter what set I'm playing. Oh mine is a 65.

A lot of people on the regular forums would scream blasphemy at this but it is true. A Cleveland 588 is a little refined copy of the Holy Grail 58 Staff Dynapower. It amazes me when someone on here finds an original 58 Dynapower in pristine shape. Back in the day that was the wedge better players and Tour players carried. They might have say a Macgregor contract and such but you could bet your bottom dollar there was a 58 Dynapower wedge in the bag.

I'm fortunate enough to have an original '58 DynaPower wedge made for Andy Bean - absolutely the best SW I've ever played.

Also have a later DynaPower made for Ben Crenshaw.

Sweet clubs!

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Those Sandy Andy wedges were one heck of a wedge in course thick brick mason sand as we called it. For me were not worth a hoot on firm hard turf. I carried an R-90 for years and wore it out on the sole and face. I have a couple now same specs but none of them I have now hit like my old one did

I'm very late to this party, and can't add too much, but did want to offer something on the lofts...

The SW need not be 55° or 56°. A great many sand irons were 58° or even 60°. What gave us the 56° SW was the same loft creep that saw the PW move from 52° to 50° in the late 70s and early 80s, typified by the 78 Staff Tour Blades and FG-17s.

FWIW, this comes from a fellow golf forum nerd and collector of classic wedges.

So my advice, don't be afraid to go all the way to a 58° for the wedge to play in addition to your PW. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'm very late to this party, and can't add too much, but did want to offer something on the lofts...

The SW need not be 55° or 56°. A great many sand irons were 58° or even 60°. What gave us the 56° SW was the same loft creep that saw the PW move from 52° to 50° in the late 70s and early 80s, typified by the 78 Staff Tour Blades and FG-17s.

FWIW, this comes from a fellow golf forum nerd and collector of classic wedges.

So my advice, don't be afraid to go all the way to a 58° for the wedge to play in addition to your PW. :)

Thanks. Right now I am using a 62* wedge as the sand wedge. I tried to measure the angles of all my wedges but I am not sure I am doing it right.

Basically, I held the club with the shaft as close to perpendicular to the bench, and then measured the angle using a protractor. However, it looked like a lot of the wedges I have are very close to the same angle - around 52* - 55*. The RAM PW looks like it's about 52*, so I went with a 62* for the sand. It works pretty well. I noticed the other day that the Walrus used a 60* SW in one of his videos, FWIW.

Found this at lunch. $1.99 @ GW

Let's see....now I have a Hogan Driver and a Hogan Wedge. I should be able to bomb and gouge with the best of them....

Or I have just taken the first step down the road of having a full fledged Hogan addiction...

I say "B"! ;)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm fortunate enough to have an original '58 DynaPower wedge made for Andy Bean - absolutely the best SW I've ever played.

Sweet clubs!

Texsport

BTW - the new TaylorMade milled grind wedges are very close shapes to the original Wilson DynaPower wedges.

Texsport

• Thanks 1

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sweet clubs!

Texsport

BTW - the new TaylorMade milled grind wedges are very close shapes to the original Wilson DynaPower wedges.

Texsport

Just picked up 2, they are similar.