2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Castle Course vs. New Course experiences?

I just listened to the latest Ru McDonald podcast (Scottish Golf Travel). The guy he was interviewing about his St Andrews trip said that while a few of the greens were really big/left them with some super long putts - he said the Castle was the most gorgeous of the courses they played (OC, NC, Balgove, Carnoustie and maybe a couple others). His one real complaint was on one hole where he was apparently on the green but 80 yards short of the pin. I don't know, if you're 8 clubs short of the pin, I'm not *entirely* blaming the green LOL.

Good listen though for anyone heading over.

This does start to sound like any number of Bandon threads after a while. Someone posts their 5 favorite courses, the next person calls him an idiot and has them ranked in the complete opposite order, third person says they are both wrong lol. Meanwhile you're probably not having a bad time at any of them.

Apart from you prophesying about, it isn't anything of the sort.

No one here is looking to be a debbie-downer, we're just trying to give a fellow forum-member a broader spectrum of opinions. He's in for cracking time regardless of where he tees it up, as we know the weather can have a way larger impact on enjoyment, than the course itself.

BTW, you must inhabit different Bandon threads than the rest of us, as I don't recall anyone calling anyone else an idiot.

Totally agree I will be happy to find myself on any hole on any course in Scotland - and comparing courses in a positive way will be a lot of fun.

X1000. Round a golf, meal, pints, rinse, repeat. You're going to have a super time :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to a lot of locals during my week in St. Andrews - mostly at the pubs. I never met anyone that had anything good to say about the Castle. I have not played it, so I cannot speak to the experience. I love the New Course. One of the best values in Scotland.

Our driver from the airport and several caddies all told our group you will not find any locals that have anything good to say about the Castle course. We played it anyway and thought it was great. The New was good too, but very similar to the Old course without the history. The Castle is a least unique and does have very challenging green complexes because of the slopes. Kingsbarn was awesome, but my favorite of the trip was Turnberry (if you get to the west coast). The biggest thing I learned on the trip...My best advice...go with an open mind and ask your caddies about everything. They sent us to several courses that were great and didn't cost an arm and a leg, because they never hosted The Open.

Ping G430 LST (GD AD IZ} 10° 
Titleist TSr 2 FW (GD AD DI) 14.5°
Titleist TSr 2 Hybrid (GD AD DI) 18° 
Ping i530 5-UW (KBS Tour S 120)
Ping S159 52° & 57°, Glide Pro 62°
Ping PLD Anser D 

Although the New vs. Castle dilemma is now settled for us, as I mentioned, we are hoping to get in one more round somewhere while we are in St. Andrews. Leaning very heavily toward North Berwick based on Monte's recent experience and looking at the course through various sources, but something keeps saying "Crail" - wish we had a month to spend over there!

Lodging/vehicle/Old Course/New Course/tour of Orkney all secure, just a matter of reading guidebooks and staring wistfully at maps this winter and planning how much tourist stuff we can work in, although we may try and lock in the rounds at Dornoch and possibly North Berwick sooner rather than later, otherwise the other courses we are playing won't be too much of a challenge to get on and we can worry about that come Spring.

Dad won't be able to make a decision until late winter, but I have him covered with tee time and lodging just in case.

Although the New vs. Castle dilemma is now settled for us, as I mentioned, we are hoping to get in one more round somewhere while we are in St. Andrews. Leaning very heavily toward North Berwick based on Monte's recent experience and looking at the course through various sources, but something keeps saying "Crail" - wish we had a month to spend over there!

Lodging/vehicle/Old Course/New Course/tour of Orkney all secure, just a matter of reading guidebooks and staring wistfully at maps this winter and planning how much tourist stuff we can work in, although we may try and lock in the rounds at Dornoch and possibly North Berwick sooner rather than later, otherwise the other courses we are playing won't be too much of a challenge to get on and we can worry about that come Spring.

Dad won't be able to make a decision until late winter, but I have him covered with tee time and lodging just in case.

Crail Balcomie is a really really fun quirky golf course the par 3 3rd was one of my top 3 green complexes of my trip two really cool cape holes that will force you into a risk reward decision over the north sea. However if you are willing to make the drive to North Berwick it is no question that North Berwick would get the call for me. The back nine at North Berwick is just special and quirky too, the wall hole, biaritz, redan and driveable par 4 18th are all really cool. Front nine is good, but the back nine is one of my favorite stretches of golf anywhere.

FWIW I booked an afternoon round at Crail Balcomie 12:40 tee time in August the morning of play. Weather was really dicey in the morning I wanted to wake up and see if it was going to clear up a bit. Which it did for a while then the fog blew in which was cool.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I would not spend any time on "buyer's remorse" in playing the New vs. The Castle Course. The New is similar to the old, in all ways that are good. The Castle is a love it/hate it course. About half the people I've played with love it, the other half hate it. The New is a safer choice: you are there to play true links courses and the New certainly fits that bill.

Dornoch is my favorite course anywhere. North Berwich is a great course. It tops my list as most fun course to play. A close second on the fun-o-meter (and a great course overall) is Cruden Bay. On one trip, we played Cruden Bay on the way from St. Andrews to Inverness. Going the coastal route adds some drive time, but not as much as making a separate trip south and west to North Berwich.

BTW: Go Hawks!

North Berwick is a haul from St. Andrews if you are planning on going there and back in a day. I have heard good things about Lundin Links as well for another option close to St. Andrews. The Duke's Course is not a links course, but recent overhaul has gotten favorable reviews.

Kingsbarn is pricey, but worth it.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

New and Jubilee are amazing. Castle course is far inferior to those 2.

I played the Old course last week and asked the caddie's which course they would play if it wasnt the Old course, both of them said exactly this (the New then the Jubilee) and i'll be playing both next year, booked the accommodation the day after i got back ;)

The Castle has the benefit of some great views of the North Sea and St. Andrews itself. Really fantastic scenery. Some here have said it is a faux links. I would agree. It reminds me of Whistling Straits in a lot of ways, but the views are way better. I've played a lot of courses in Scotland, and thought it was ok. Not great, ok. It isn't a real links course, too contrived. I know the greens create a lot of consternation, but I didn't find that to be a big deal. It just isn't a real links.

On the other hand, I would play the New Course regularly, and last time over, played it three times. It is, simply, a great links course. It suffers only in comparison to its older brother right next door. But, if you had played neither and I dropped you somewhere on the New and told you it was the Old, you wouldn't know the difference. I think that if the New didn't sit where it does, it would probably host an Open from time to time, but that's just my view.

I agree with others who suggest Crail, or Lundin Links as alternatives to the Castle. I would add Elie to that list, and put it first. Kingsbarns too, but obviously a different league. I wouldn't sub them for the New, except for Elie, but would prefer them to the Castle.

One other intangible to the New is the fact it's in town too. You can walk to the first tee, and you are still in the middle of the golf mecca, and breathing that all in. Just a great environment. Last year I decided to play a late evening round during our trip, and walked from our flat through town with my clubs to the first tee, and took off. What a great time!

Have a great trip!

North Berwick is a haul from St. Andrews if you are planning on going there and back in a day. I have heard good things about Lundin Links as well for another option close to St. Andrews. The Duke's Course is not a links course, but recent overhaul has gotten favorable reviews.

Kingsbarn is pricey, but worth it.

Try Elie. It's about 15 minutes from StA, and a great track. One of the most fun I've played there and you'll enjoy it. As noted, North Berwick is a really long trip all in from St. Andrews, and not a simple drive around Edinburgh and all that. It's a great course, for sure, just not an easy get from StA. If you want to take a little jaunt, consider the Kings Course at Gleneagles, that is also fun. But Elie is nearby, friendly, and fun.

^While it might be a bit cheesy, I whole heartedly agree that shouldering your sticks down to the first tee for the Old/New/Jubilee is really neat :)

We'd grab a coffee from Taste cafe across the street from our flat let and off we went.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

^While it might be a bit cheesy, I whole heartedly agree that shouldering your sticks down to the first tee for the Old/New/Jubilee is really neat :)

We'd grab a coffee from Taste cafe across the street from our flat let and off we went.

I know right where that is. Have always stayed at the end of North Street, near the Cathedral. Talking about wandering the auld grey toon as winter appears to set in here in the Midwest gives a guy something to hold onto until spring.

• 1 month later...

Curious whether any folks have experiences on these two in particular and how they compare having played them. Is the new similar to the Old, is Castle (although actually a new course) as interesting as it looks, etc. Thanks.

They call the New Course "the fairest course in the town". Challenging course but not that long and certainly easier than the Jubilee (regarded as toughest course in the town).

Castle Course is a bit wacky IMHO. Classic links surfaces but huge elevation changes and greens like the himalayas. The Castle course has barely been open a few years whereas the New course was opened in 1895 (not so new....)

G425 LST 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X

G425 LST 14.5* PING Tour 75X

Srixon ZX Utility 20* Evenflow Black 85X

Srixon ZX7 4-PW KBS Tour 130X

Cleveland Zipcore Raw 52, 56 and 60 with Tour Issue DG S400 Onyx

Golf Pride MCC Midsize black/red

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro-V1 2022