2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Castle Course vs. New Course experiences?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it this way, the New Course is the best course in St Andrews.

The Castle course is a hilltop, cliff top course with beautiful views of the town and that is it. Some nice holes but its nothing worth getting excited over. Greens are horrendous even after being "softened". Payed onto it once, had a free game the second time and would never pay to play it again.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

I liked the Castle Course. We had some zany pins because the pro's came out for some action before the Dunhill Links

Hard holes, lots of climbs, lots of crazy greens

I thought the New was solid .... not awe inspiring .... but not as good as Kingsbarns .. blasphemy I know

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Make sure you get on Muirfield, The Old Course, Carnoustie and Kingsbarns

Hearing some fellas raving about Trump's new track (even though it's a Trump)

Scotty GoLo

Play the Castle Course to experience it once after you've played the others in town and that should be enough.

There are much better faux links options in North America, that you don't have to cross an ocean to play.

The New course is a lot more fun and more worth playing.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks for all the input so far, very much appreciate it!

We are hoping for luck in the lottery, so trying to narrow down to the other course we play through that. Will only be in St. Andrews 3-4 days and not golf every day, can't believe I said that, but things other family members want to see). So, if we end up having to try a different way to get on when we are there (or get more time to play) that opens up the possibility of Kingsbarns, for example, and others. Leaning toward the New because of the Tom Morris connection and history, but the Castle Course looks visually interesting. Most of the trip will be up north.

do NOT miss Kingsbarns

It's the Scotland equivalent to the new #1 course in Canada ... Cabot Cliffs

Also, re: the Castle ... the 4 of 8 guys in our group disliked it because they played / scored badly .. golfers !!!!

We got on the Old twice over 4 days in the lottery

Scotty GoLo

When I was over there this summer Castle, and the two Fairmont courses did not get any consideration for play by me. Not with the other choices available. I agree with Duffer maybe play it after you have played everything else just to play it once. I enjoyed both Jubilee and the New a lot. Kingsbarns however is breathtaking. I wasnt the biggest fan of the shaping of the green slopes but still an incredible modern links by Kyle Phillips. Looking at the overview of Castle reminded me of target golf and I get enough of that in AZ.

Kingsbarns

DIM7dgKV4AAz32W.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

When I was over there this summer Castle, and the two Fairmont courses did not get any consideration for play by me. Not with the other choices available. I agree with Duffer maybe play it after you have played everything else just to play it once. I enjoyed both Jubilee and the New a lot. Kingsbarns however is breathtaking. I wasnt the biggest fan of the shaping of the green slopes but still an incredible modern links by Kyle Phillips. Looking at the overview of Castle reminded me of target golf and I get enough of that in AZ.

Kingsbarns

DIM7dgKV4AAz32W.jpg

Whoa!

Just spent some time on their site, looks like it has become must play. Fortunately, Alfred Dunhill Links is this week, so lots of looks at 3 great courses - just got fresh supply of coffee beans in the mail, perfect for getting up really early.

I'd head to Crail and Lundin Links ahead of The Castle course. Then again that is only my opinion so please take it with a pinch of salt. For those that say Kingsbarns is better than the New and The Cstle course, I wouldn't disagree as I would also say its a better test of golf than The Old Course which apart from the history and a couple of good holes is really nothing special.

It oozes history and charm but is it really a tremendous golf course??? Controversial but I'd say no!

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

I'd head to Crail and Lundin Links ahead of The Castle course. Then again that is only my opinion so please take it with a pinch of salt. For those that say Kingsbarns is better than the New and The Cstle course, I wouldn't disagree as I would also say its a better test of golf than The Old Course which apart from the history and a couple of good holes is really nothing special.

It oozes history and charm but is it really a tremendous golf course??? Controversial but I'd say no!

So many choices. I will say for me, the lure of playing some courses with tons of history for fewer pounds is a consideration when looking at newer courses with really high green fees. That's kind of our goal up north with some old but inexpensive links courses (though playing Dornoch a couple times will offset that a bit).

Kingsbarns > New > Castle.

Kingsbarns is without doubt the best in the area. It also costs a kings ransom. If the £/$ doesn't come into it, play Kingsbarns on your trip.

If its a straight choice between New or Castle then it should be New Course every day, any day. And also throw in Jubilee while you are at it!

I couldn't have said it any better !

Castle is beautiful, great views, but greens are awfully designed.

New or Jubilee offer such a pure links experience, I loved both.

You can’t be wrong with Kingsbarns, one of my all time favourites.

c2cba87ec3b464963ed929fcfcff7b85.jpg

Kingsbarn is beautiful and a great design. I also found it played different to the traditional Links courses. Greens are more receptive and required more fly the ball on the green on some holes vs the bump and run options at The New Course or Jubilee.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Kingsbarns is fantastic, great course and the staff make you feel very welcome. I can't comment on the New Course as I haven't played it but I have played the Castle Course and I wouldnt play again purely because the greens are a joke. We played Lundin Links and Leven Links and both were decent tracks and the green fee wasn't too high.

LOL, since I didn't specify a preference (and we got lucky in the lottery) Castle Course was assigned. Not complaining one bit, but does anyone know if once assigned in the lottery whether they let you trade your tee time to a different course?

The only thing you cannot change from the lottery is your Old Course Tee Time. When we won the lotto last year, we had a round on New, Jubilee, and Caste. We switched to just the New, no problems.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

LOL, since I didn't specify a preference (and we got lucky in the lottery) Castle Course was assigned. Not complaining one bit, but does anyone know if once assigned in the lottery whether they let you trade your tee time to a different course?

The only thing you cannot change from the lottery is your Old Course Tee Time. When we won the lotto last year, we had a round on New, Jubilee, and Caste. We switched to just the New, no problems.

I will investigate, thanks!

FWIW I've heard from a few people that more than enjoyed the Castle Course.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

FWIW I've heard from a few people that more than enjoyed the Castle Course.

Thanks!

I called St. Andrews to confirm my payment for the tee times and the person helping me was terrific. We made the decision to switch from our pre-reserved Castle tee time to a tee time on the same day and just a few minutes later on the New Course and she was very helpful. A few considerations - two of the golfers, myself included, I think would have really enjoyed the difference of the Castle course and it was very tempting, the other golfers in our group will I believe appreciate the New Course a little more for several reasons. Also, FWIW, adding another Tom Morris design to the overall trip. Glad I called, she said the advance reservations on the New fill up pretty quickly. Nice to have it settled and not have to worry about it later.

Thanks for all the input, also got input from the person I'm leasing space from for the four days we are in St. Andrews and another dedicated traveler. The depth of practical info available on this site never ceases to amaze me!

I talked to a lot of locals during my week in St. Andrews - mostly at the pubs. I never met anyone that had anything good to say about the Castle. I have not played it, so I cannot speak to the experience. I love the New Course. One of the best values in Scotland.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

I just listened to the latest Ru McDonald podcast (Scottish Golf Travel). The guy he was interviewing about his St Andrews trip said that while a few of the greens were really big/left them with some super long putts - he said the Castle was the most gorgeous of the courses they played (OC, NC, Balgove, Carnoustie and maybe a couple others). His one real complaint was on one hole where he was apparently on the green but 80 yards short of the pin. I don't know, if you're 8 clubs short of the pin, I'm not *entirely* blaming the green LOL.

Good listen though for anyone heading over.

This does start to sound like any number of Bandon threads after a while. Someone posts their 5 favorite courses, the next person calls him an idiot and has them ranked in the complete opposite order, third person says they are both wrong lol. Meanwhile you're probably not having a bad time at any of them.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

A day on the links is better than a good or bad day anywhere else. Enjoy the trip.

I just got my ballot entry for the Old in March confirmed. Even though I'm in St Andrews 6+ times a year I'm still really excited to play the Old Lady again.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

You can have 80 Yard putts on the Old Course. Especially on 5/13

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

I just listened to the latest Ru McDonald podcast (Scottish Golf Travel). The guy he was interviewing about his St Andrews trip said that while a few of the greens were really big/left them with some super long putts - he said the Castle was the most gorgeous of the courses they played (OC, NC, Balgove, Carnoustie and maybe a couple others). His one real complaint was on one hole where he was apparently on the green but 80 yards short of the pin. I don't know, if you're 8 clubs short of the pin, I'm not *entirely* blaming the green LOL.

Good listen though for anyone heading over.

This does start to sound like any number of Bandon threads after a while. Someone posts their 5 favorite courses, the next person calls him an idiot and has them ranked in the complete opposite order, third person says they are both wrong lol. Meanwhile you're probably not having a bad time at any of them.

Hopefully this thread won't go that way. Now we've made the change we'll stick to it, but as I said I thought the Castle looked pretty interesting. Wonder if the newness of the course makes a difference in the opinions about condition. I looked at some courses on YouTube through the iviewgolf channel and the video look at the holes at Castle Stuart were downright stunning. I thought Brora and others looked super as well but seemed to be a difference in those long established courses vs. one more recently constructed.

Totally agree I will be happy to find myself on any hole on any course in Scotland - and comparing courses in a positive way will be a lot of fun.