2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Robbed - Starting over from scratch

jjepeto

Just as I finally had a good setup and was ready to experience a great fall of golf in the south, it's all been taken from me. Someone broke into my apartment storage unit and took all my golf stuff among other valuable things. So I'm starting over and need some recommendations. I spent years using crappy hand-me-downs while I shopped for deals on clubs to slowly build my bag. I've never gotten to try out clubs before buying them, but was pretty happy with where my bag was with the exception of wedges and putter. This time I'd like to either get fitted or make more informed purchases by testing different clubs and shafts before I buy them. The only problem is I definitely can't afford to get fitted for a set of brand new clubs released this year. I'm in the market for irons under $400, driver and woods under $150. I have no problem buying stuff a few years old but it's hard to test these older clubs before buying.

My old setup:

4-GW: Mizuno MX-25 w/ Dynamic Gold stiff shafts

D: Cobra Fly-Z+ w/ Graffaloy stiff shaft

3W: RBZ tour, stock shaft stiff

3HY: Adams Red, stock shaft stiff

Wedges: mixed randoms

I've been looking at Ping irons since they seem to have a good selection of affordable clubs from the late 2000's and early 2010's, but I'm open to just about anything. The problem with all the big online used club dealers is trying before buying. So, please help me find some clubs for a mid handicapper (14 ish) who doesn't have a lot of money. Would I be better off trying to get some used heads and then getting fitted to a shaft and having them assembled?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, really sorry this happened to you.

In my experience the cost of having irons built is higher than just finding some that are ready to play.

I suggest the following:

Irons - FG Tour V4 or F5. They are forgiving, soft, and can be had cheap since they are not really popular outside of this forum.

Driver - Anything Cobra, they are solid and can also be had cheap. F7+, King LTD, Bio Cell +, and Bio Cell Pro all worked well. The TM Aeroburner is also a great option.

3w - TM Jetspeed, Adams Tight Lies Titanium, or X2 Hot. All are good and cheap.

Hybrid - not my specialty, but the X2 Hot, Jetspeed, or Adams blue should be cheap and very good.

Wedges - Wilson Staff PMP, nice sole grinds and pretty inexpensive used.

Best of luck!

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I sympathize with your situation, and hope that we here can provide you with some good suggestions.

FWIW, the Wilson Triton driver just got reduced to $75 at Golf Galaxy, so getting a good driver at a great price should certainly be in your wheelhouse there. It should be available to demo as well.

That's my for now.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually just spent an hour at golf Galaxy hitting some of their used clubs. I hadn't been in there in forever and didn't realize they will just let you hit as much as you want. I tried a few different clubs all as a 7 iron.

Ping s55- I'm not good enough and my hand still stings from those toe hits.

TM Rocketbladez- these felt nice. Seemed forgiving enough and were priced well with KBS stiff shafts

Ping I? - felt super nice. Same distance as TM above

Callaway XR pro- wow! 10 yards farther carry than ping and taylormade. But at the top end of my price range.

I'll go back and check for your other suggestions and browse online. We have a lot of golf shops around here so I'm feeling more hopeful than I previously was.

I didn't try any drivers but I saw a barely used Cobra King F6 for $100. Thinking I'll stick with cobra since I loved the fly-z+ I used to have.

I sympathize with your situation, and hope that we here can provide you with some good suggestions.

FWIW, the Wilson Triton driver just got reduced to $75 at Golf Galaxy, so getting a good driver at a great price should certainly be in your wheelhouse there. It should be available to demo as well.

That's my for now.

Good luck!

Where are you seeing this?

hold up.

you live in an apartment but don't have renters insurance? is the storage facility videotaped? (most are)

you should easily be able to get enough to pay for new clubs if you have insurance. are we missing something??

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I was just thinking same thing.....claim on insurance build a bag with a little more financial freedom

Do you have any pictures? prob get more value then what you are planning on coming outta pocket

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Sorry for your loss. I lost my clubs a number years back when my car was stolen. Got the car back but no clubs. I feel your pain.....

Silver lining though after weeks of insurance paperwork I did get my first and only hole in 1 the first time I hit the new 4 iron. Hopefully some good golf karma will come your way soon too.

hold up.

you live in an apartment but don't have renters insurance? is the storage facility videotaped? (most are)

you should easily be able to get enough to pay for new clubs if you have insurance. are we missing something??

I do have renter's insurance, but the claim process will take weeks or months until I get money from them and I don't know yet how much. My clubs weren't worth all that much anyway. About $750 give or take according to PGA value guide. So I'm trying to rebuild a bag in about that price range. You're not missing anything, I'm just looking for suggestions on clubs in this price range since I haven't shopped for irons in years, I am looking for suggestions on the best way to get an affordable set that fits my game a little better than the old set (slightly more forgiving irons), while still being able to (hopefully) take advantage of fall weather.

even with insurance, sometimes the deductible is higher or close to what you would pay out for new gear anyways. Soetimes doesn't make sense to use it

Looks like my deductible is around $250. But we'll see if they have some kind of clause in the fine print that tries to screw me over, like sporting goods are covered separately or something. My fear is I won't get the money from insurance until sometime early next year, and I was really looking forward to a round two under 90 while the weather is in the 60's/70's.

If I see any FG Tour clubs at store I'll give them a hit as Sef suggested, but I've been looking at the club specs on Golfworks' Playability Factor charts. I don't pay much attention to the MPF rating, but focus on the "C" Dim and Actual VCOG. I prefer a mid-size club head, not that big OS style super game improvement, but I still need a lot of forgiveness on the face. The FG's seem to have a really high Actual VCOG. I'm wondering if this makes it hard to get the ball up in the air?

I'm still interested sticking with Mizuno irons. I've looked at a set of JPX-850, but they were lefty so I couldn't try them out. They seem really forgiving but at the very top end of what I can spend. I like the look and price tag on JPX-800 and JPX-800 pro. What's the difference in these two? It just seems like the pro has a slightly smaller head, but still larger than my old Mizuno irons. Hopefully I can find some to demo.

That sucks -- I've had my clubs stolen before, and it's a sinking feeling that cannot be adequately described. That being said... having my clubs stolen turned out to be one of the best things for my golf game. I got to build from the ground up, try new brands I never would have before, and look at the game with a fresh set of eyes. I LOVE tinkering with equipment, and I credit my clubs being stolen as the spark that turned me on to a whole new facet of the game of golf.

My advice would be to start building process with the irons. Go to a golf shop that sells used irons, swing a bunch of different models in the testing bay, and then scout some deals on eBay and the BST once you find a brand/model that works for you. It's much easier to find a deal if you know what exactly to look for. Then rinse and repeat with a driver and woods.

Best of luck!

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Still no word on finding my old set, and I've been itching to build a new set so I can get back out there. I tried out a bunch of irons, loved the Mizuno JPX 850's and then found a 4-G set on Global Golf so I grabbed it a little under my budget with a few stacking coupon codes. I'm pretty pumped to get them. My plan now is to try to get some wedges and a putter. I'm going to stalk ebay for a PING blade putter with the TR grooves. I feel like with some patience I should find one for about $50.

I need some recommendations on wedges though. I've been a streaky wedge player, possibly due to all my previous wedges being different, but also probably because I haven't practiced enough. I have a vague understanding of bounce and grind, but don't understand how it applied to different swings and conditions. What are some wedges I should look into for a mid level player? I'm tempted to jump on a 54* and 58* Maltby M-Series+ just because of their cost ($50 with KBS shaft). They have wider soles so I think that would help me, but wouldn't it also prevent me from laying the face open from the sand or in deep lies? I don't want to have a set that doesn't allow me to do that. I also like the look of PING Glides. Wedges are probably the most confusing category of golf club.

Thanks for everyone's input.

If you like the 850s (forged?), why not stick with Mizuno for your wedges? I played S5 this summer, had no fall off from Vokeys, and the softer feel is awesome. T7 can be had on that GG coupon for $80 in mint/excellent condition. A little over budget, but basically new.

Driver: upgrade to F6+, just don't fiddle too much with the weight screws on the track. Haven't checked the GG fire sale, maybe better to pick up a used head off ebay & find your old shaft.

Putter: what was your old putter? It's tempting to skimp here, 'cause it just rolls the ball. I'd say don't buy it online, unless you've tried it out first hand.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

If you like the 850s (forged?), why not stick with Mizuno for your wedges? I played S5 this summer, had no fall off from Vokeys, and the softer feel is awesome. T7 can be had on that GG coupon for $80 in mint/excellent condition. A little over budget, but basically new.

Driver: upgrade to F6+, just don't fiddle too much with the weight screws on the track. Haven't checked the GG fire sale, maybe better to pick up a used head off ebay & find your old shaft.

Putter: what was your old putter? It's tempting to skimp here, 'cause it just rolls the ball. I'd say don't buy it online, unless you've tried it out first hand.

I got the cast 850's. I opted for the extra forgiveness after trying the 825's forged.

I'm not at all against Mizuno wedges, I've just never tried them. Since my irons are through gap wedge, I'll only need 2 wedges so could opt to spend slightly more. I'm planning to go to golf galaxy tomorrow and test some wedges. I'm just hoping to get some wedges that I can be more consistent with. For whatever reason with my old Vokey 60* SM4 (I think) and Pinemeadow 56* I would hit it either perfect or completely chunk it. Maybe I just need more practice and not rely on the equipment to avoid the chunky chips and pitches.

Leaning strongly toward Cobra driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. But they will be last to add to the bag. I hit an F7+ demo driver today and it felt and sounded odd to me even though the distance was there. Maybe it's the carbon fiber.

You may want to look in the BST section. There are plenty of irons, wedges, and drivers for sale that are within your budget. The Cobra woods are definitely on sale at the moment. Also, you will see more deals considering that black friday is coming. Callaway will have some excellent deals if you're into that brand.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

I got the cast 850's. I opted for the extra forgiveness after trying the 825's forged.

I'm not at all against Mizuno wedges, I've just never tried them. Since my irons are through gap wedge, I'll only need 2 wedges so could opt to spend slightly more. I'm planning to go to golf galaxy tomorrow and test some wedges. I'm just hoping to get some wedges that I can be more consistent with. For whatever reason with my old Vokey 60* SM4 (I think) and Pinemeadow 56* I would hit it either perfect or completely chunk it. Maybe I just need more practice and not rely on the equipment to avoid the chunky chips and pitches.

Leaning strongly toward Cobra driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. But they will be last to add to the bag. I hit an F7+ demo driver today and it felt and sounded odd to me even though the distance was there. Maybe it's the carbon fiber.

I don't know if I've ever hit the 850 cast GW, but I'd guess you might not use it around the green as much. Consider going 54° high bounce, full sole and 60° low bounce, thin sole to give yourself the most options. In Vokeys, for example, 54.14 F and 60.07 S/M is a good combo.

I didn't hit the F7+ much this year, since I went to F6+ and never looked back. The F6 fairway is also awesome, and F7 hybrid gets great reviews. You could also just go back to Fly-Z+, that head has such a nice wooden bat kind of feel. If you get a chance, check out the BioCell+ 5-7W. It's a unicorn level fairway.

Spring 2024

Still no word on finding my old set, and I've been itching to build a new set so I can get back out there. I tried out a bunch of irons, loved the Mizuno JPX 850's and then found a 4-G set on Global Golf so I grabbed it a little under my budget with a few stacking coupon codes. I'm pretty pumped to get them. My plan now is to try to get some wedges and a putter. I'm going to stalk ebay for a PING blade putter with the TR grooves. I feel like with some patience I should find one for about $50.

I need some recommendations on wedges though. I've been a streaky wedge player, possibly due to all my previous wedges being different, but also probably because I haven't practiced enough. I have a vague understanding of bounce and grind, but don't understand how it applied to different swings and conditions. What are some wedges I should look into for a mid level player? I'm tempted to jump on a 54* and 58* Maltby M-Series+ just because of their cost ($50 with KBS shaft). They have wider soles so I think that would help me, but wouldn't it also prevent me from laying the face open from the sand or in deep lies? I don't want to have a set that doesn't allow me to do that. I also like the look of PING Glides. Wedges are probably the most confusing category of golf club.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I have Maltby wedges and have no problem laying the face open. IMO, they are great wedges and you can't beat the price plus you can get any shaft you desire.

15 hcp

I don't know if I've ever hit the 850 cast GW, but I'd guess you might not use it around the green as much. Consider going 54° high bounce, full sole and 60° low bounce, thin sole to give yourself the most options. In Vokeys, for example, 54.14 F and 60.07 S/M is a good combo.

Thanks for the input, I'm going to the store today so I'll try this combo out. So if I understand bounce in wedges correctly, the 54/14 would be best used out of sand and soft lies, while the 60/07 would be good for general around the greens, laying the club open in odd lies, etc. Or do I have it reversed?

I have Maltby wedges and have no problem laying the face open. IMO, they are great wedges and you can't beat the price plus you can get any shaft you desire.

Do you have the Tour Grind or M-Series/Tricept? My concern with the M-Series is that the sole is so large that it seems impossible to lay it open. It looks almost like a glider, but at the same time I can see how that might help with mishits around the green.

I have 3 Maltby wedges and they are all shafted with shafted with TT Lite XL (parallel) shafts - imo, these are very good shafts for wedges and the price is right.

- 52 degree tour grind - sole is not large at all. Easy to open the blade.

- 56 degree ( bent to 55) 1.62 multi design multi design wedge - sole is wide. This is a point and shoot wedge and find it easy to hit off any lie. In other words, do not feel the need to lay it open.

- 58 degree tricept mg tech. These are no longer on the GW website. Bummer as I was looking to replace it. Sole width is somewhere between the 2 above. Great chipping and flop wedge.

15 hcp

Also, if you decide to with Maltby, ask for Mark Masters. I bought all the wedges in club paks and he was very flexible in that he let you substitute grips/shafts and you payed the difference ie. if the shaft you want is more or less $$ than what if offered in the club pack, the final price was adjusted accordingly. Great deal, imo.

15 hcp

Thanks for the input, I'm going to the store today so I'll try this combo out. So if I understand bounce in wedges correctly, the 54/14 would be best used out of sand and soft lies, while the 60/07 would be good for general around the greens, laying the club open in odd lies, etc. Or do I have it reversed?

Yeah, that's the general idea. Hope your testing goes well today!

Spring 2024