2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Problem not tipping a shaft for a 3wood?

Warrick

On 10/30/2017 at 5:31 AM, Howard_Jones said:

We tip trim to "keep the shaft profile" when we add head weight, and on average we count 10 grams from a driver to a 3W, and another 10 grams to a 5W, so we can split it up and say we "should" tip trim 1/8" for each 2.5 grams head weight added.

(thats the general rule of thumb, but some shaft models has other tip trim instructions)

If you skip that, the shaft as a hole will play a tad softer, and the profile gets a bias against a higher launch.

I'm reading up on tip trimming and came upon this great reply by Howard.  Great info re. the intent of tipping and a general ROT.  My only question is on the "if you skip that" portion -- just want to clarify -- when skipping tipping, the shaft will play softer (makes sense) -- but I would think the bias is then -for- a higher launch, not -against-.  Just making sure I tip correctly wrt desired results.  Thanks again for the great info in this post.  

LTDx 10.5 + Velocore blue 7S 

M6 3h + Diamana blue 8S

0311P 4i + SFi95cwS

i210 5i-7i + SFi110cwS

921Tour 8i-G + SFi110cwS 

SM8 52F/RTX 56S/Jaws 60J + Recoil Proto Wedge F4 

QB7

TP5X 

5 hours ago, glofer said:

I'm reading up on tip trimming and came upon this great reply by Howard.  Great info re. the intent of tipping and a general ROT.  My only question is on the "if you skip that" portion -- just want to clarify -- when skipping tipping, the shaft will play softer (makes sense) -- but I would think the bias is then -for- a higher launch, not -against-.

I suspect that's just a flaw in Howard's English (not his native language) and not what he meant to say.

But generally the effect of tipping (or not) has very little actual direct effect on the launch - it's just not that drastic a change to the profile.  It's really just about tweaking the feel of the shaft.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 3:01 PM, Stuart_G said:

I suspect that's just a flaw in Howard's English (not his native language) and not what he meant to say.

Thanks for the reply and clarification, makes sense.  

LTDx 10.5 + Velocore blue 7S 

M6 3h + Diamana blue 8S

0311P 4i + SFi95cwS

i210 5i-7i + SFi110cwS

921Tour 8i-G + SFi110cwS 

SM8 52F/RTX 56S/Jaws 60J + Recoil Proto Wedge F4 

QB7

TP5X 

On 12/24/2021 at 8:01 PM, Stuart_G said:

But generally the effect of tipping (or not) has very little actual direct effect on the launch - it's just not that drastic a change to the profile.  It's really just about tweaking the feel of the shaft.

Talking generally, about 1” of a driver shaft, is the butt or tip end the heavier ? Thanks experts HNY

ps. Presumably, should the weight difference be minimal, the nett effect of trimming 1” is also minimal irrespective of the specific end trimmed. This is not meant to be double-Dutch.

1 hour ago, Pastit said:

Talking generally, about 1” of a driver shaft, is the butt or tip end the heavier ? Thanks experts HNY

Since the part of the tip that's cut off is reinforced, I doubt there is much difference - but I haven't actually weighed the cut-offs to double check.

Any difference would be negligible as far as the effect of tip trimming on the shaft's balance point or change in total weight.   Minor tweaking of the stiffness feel is the only thing that needs to be considered when making the determination.

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

Since the part of the tip that's cut off is reinforced, I doubt there is much difference - but I haven't actually weighed the cut-offs to double check.

Any difference would be negligible as far as the effect of tip trimming on the shaft's balance point or change in total weight.   Minor tweaking of the stiffness feel is the only thing that needs to be considered when making the determination.

Thank you, I’ve always been interested due to my cross-interest in fly-fishing where use of graphite / composites was introduced much earlier.

Shortening the tip of a fly-rod after an accident is totally destructive to the original action because of the very light nature of the tip. 

Golf shaft tips appear to have a much greater wall-thickness than that of butt sections leading me to avoid tipping wherever possible until c the 5W where the loft seems to counteract increased stiffness by tipping but what do I know ?

4 hours ago, Pastit said:

Thank you, I’ve always been interested due to my cross-interest in fly-fishing where use of graphite / composites was introduced much earlier.

Shortening the tip of a fly-rod after an accident is totally destructive to the original action because of the very light nature of the tip. 

Golf shaft tips appear to have a much greater wall-thickness than that of butt sections leading me to avoid tipping wherever possible until c the 5W where the loft seems to counteract increased stiffness by tipping but what do I know ?

No worries.  You're not the first to try to apply understandings of fly rods to golf shafts.   But despite seeming similar on the surface, the dynamics and interactions between the user and the rod/shaft are actually completely different.

It can vary a little based on shaft model, but the reinforced tip section is more commonly 3" and intended by the designers to be cut to adjust the stiffness response to different amounts of head weight that can be used.

1 minute ago, Stuart_G said:

No worries.  You're not the first to try to apply understandings of fly rods to golf shafts.   But despite seeming similar on the surface, the dynamics and interactions between the user and the rod/shaft are actually completely different.

It can vary a little based on shaft model, but the reinforced tip section is more commonly 3" and intended by the designers to be cut to adjust the stiffness response to different amounts of head weight that can be used.

Yes, indeed, I came across the TM video earlier today showing building of Rory’s and DJ’s SIM or SIM 2 Drivers. Despite my pal being a club-builder I still learned a lot.

Over here, 55-degrees North, we have very poor fairway conditions from October to March. All my drivers and fairway woods are untipped until the 5W. HNY

2 minutes ago, Pastit said:

Over here, 55-degrees North, we have very poor fairway conditions from October to March.

Could be worse.  Here they turn the fairways into cross country ski areas 🙂

2 minutes ago, Pastit said:

All my drivers and fairway woods are untipped until the 5W. HNY

Tipping recommendations are just that - recommendations - not any kind of hard and fast rules.   It is only needed to tweak the feel of the shaft to match any personal preferences of the player.  That preference may be inline with the recommendations - or completely different.   There are no functional benefits to altering the stiffness that way beyond controlling that aspect of feel.   So if it feels fine and performs fine, then no need to change anything.

6 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Could be worse.  Here they turn the fairways into cross country ski areas 🙂

Tipping recommendations are just that - recommendations - not any kind of hard and fast rules.   It is only needed to tweak the feel of the shaft to match any personal preferences of the player.  That preference may be inline with the recommendations - or completely different.   There are no functional benefits to altering the stiffness that way beyond controlling that aspect of feel.   So if it feels fine and performs fine, then no need to change anything.

I’m even worse on skis then at golf. Took me 2 hrs to get off a black slope upon my backside near Trondheim. 

• Haha 1