2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Any Trolley Users?

raggal62

I enjoy walking the course and want to continue as long as my aging "wheels" allow it. I recently got a great deal on a non-remote electric push cart and have had it out for a couple of 18 hole rounds. So far, so good. I seem to have less fatigue upon completion, and in general am just having fun with a new toy.

Just interested in hearing any takes from other users. Very rarely have I noticed golfers from my region using them. I've heard they're somewhat popular across the pond.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago, I pondered buying an electric trolley. Decided to go minimalist instead, 5-7 clubs in a walking bag. No need for a trolley.

Occasionally, I get really lazy. An adjustable iron and a three wood is all I need, no bag, no clutter.

There's numerous topics out there about the minimalist approach.

A few years back, thrifted a Bag Boy Automatic pull cart. It had the "right" vintage look to use with a bag of vintage clubs. And allowed me to become reacquainted with walking a round of golf. But it was heavy and prone to tipping over, especially on uneven terrain. Last year acquired a Caddytek three wheel push cart. Much improved in all aspects of what I use a "trolly" for. And I enjoyed walking even more, well balanced and pushes so easily. Started walking every opportunity I could. Especially solo rounds. The bag may be classic, but the cart will be modern.

Until an accident put me out of commission for a couple of months last summer. As I reengaged playing, a riding cart was the only practical way for getting back out. Couldn't walk all that well. Looking forward to my getting back out for my walking rounds this year.

Haven't carried a golf bag since I was a teenager. Don't see the point in doing that now. And in no way meant as negative commentary towards those that choose to carry. Simply personal preference.

Edit add: Looks like your inquiry was specifically on electric trollies. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen electric ones used out on a course. Most of the oldsters seemingly opt for the three and four wheel push variety.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I once owned a Sun Mountain remote control cart, or trolley. It worked off of a remote and would go anywhere you directed it. Unfortunately the remote was very sensitive and would take off seemingly on it's own. Few days after I bought it, on an early morning I parked it outside of the clubhouse. Once inside I was informed that my trolley was heading down number 10 fairway. That and a few other episodes convinced me to get rid of it. That said, it responded perfectly, just kept me from concentrating on my game. The few times I used it with no distractions it was a beautiful thing. Definitely something to say for walking down a fairway without a bag on your shoulder or pulling a trolley.

We were golfing in Portugal some 10 years ago now. The course was wet so the American mixed 4 ball from South Carolina we met were unable to use a buggy. The guys carried and the gals rented electric trollies. They came back after 18, knackered, and said if they had to use trollies again they'd give up golf.

Turns out they had pushed these trollies all the way round, hilly course btw, without anyone realising they had a motor.

Of course we all had a laugh over the beers, but, seriously, I / we hadn't realised that trollies were close to unknown in USA golf, in recent times, at least.

A few years back, thrifted a Bag Boy Automatic pull cart. It had the "right" vintage look to use with a bag of vintage clubs. And allowed me to become reacquainted with walking a round of golf. But it was heavy and prone to tipping over, especially on uneven terrain. Last year acquired a Caddytek three wheel push cart. Much improved in all aspects of what I use a "trolly" for. And I enjoyed walking even more, well balanced and pushes so easily. Started walking every opportunity I could. Especially solo rounds. The bag may be classic, but the cart will be modern.

Until an accident put me out of commission for a couple of months last summer. As I reengaged playing, a riding cart was the only practical way for getting back out. Couldn't walk all that well. Looking forward to my getting back out for my walking rounds this year.

Haven't carried a golf bag since I was a teenager. Don't see the point in doing that now. And in no way meant as negative commentary towards those that choose to carry. Simply personal preference.

Edit add: Looks like your inquiry was specifically on electric trollies. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen electric ones used out on a course. Most of the oldsters seemingly opt for the three and four wheel push variety.

Well sadly I am in the same boat as you also due to an accident last September. I used to play my Sunday afternoon vintage rounds walking and carrying one of my stand bags or my Sunday bag with 5 or 6 clubs. I tried one of the push carts when I was able to walk but liked carrying better. But for me now unless things improve knee wise I will not be walking no matter the method of carrying the bag

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I picked up a thrift store push cart last year as a trial. I've always carried by choice, but have some hip issues that make that more of a challenge now.

I like it. It's not motorised, but then I'm not looking to make a round of golf physically easier, just less painful. I enjoy the exercise. I do feel that I reach the latter stages of the round feeling a bit better in the back and shoulders than I used to, and maybe am less prone to late screw-ups though that is hard to be completely objective about. OTOH, I hear talk about these things being worth 2 - 4 shots per round, and I'm not seeing that.

I don't find the effort of pushing a strain on the arms, which some people worry about - and I play a reasonably hilly course. It's funny, but it actually works the legs and the torso - especially up hill. I don't particularly want a motor, as I'd be waiting for it to break or for me to forget to charge the battery and whilst I can't just leave it in the car I don't have a garage where I can just lift and drop the thing when it's not needed.

In other circumstances, a motor with a decent battery would be great. Just not for me. I'm not a fan of riding at all. Walking is a big part of what I enjoy in the game. Often enough, it's the one part of the game I can rely on. If it gets you out and walking, then it's good by me.

The course here that I play frequently has a back nine that is around a 150 ft. drop in elevation from the front nine. The 17th hole makes the accent back up. Usually I'm getting worn down from the prior 16 and seriously dread the grind coming home. But today with the power assist it was a breeze. It literally drug me up that hill, almost like being towed. Think it made an impression on my huffin' and puffin' playing partners.

I have used a trolley (see PD, I’m a man true to my words!) for years. I try not to play courses that require a cart - walking is how I like to play golf. I actually feel less tired carrying than pushing and would except for the back feels pretty compressed after 18. I play a lot of hilly courses and by the end feel I got a good cardio workout.

I have often considered an electric trolley but think I’d daydream and drive it into a pond.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I have succumbed to the use of a lightweight two-wheeler trolley which I push due to persistent aches and pains in my right foot and both knees,the result no doubt of much sporting activity as a young man,squash,badminton,tennis,golf,darts (weight on front leg) and drinking Stella Artois (falling off bike).

Useful at this time of year for load-bearing as we seem to always be playing in 20+ mph winds and a resulting perceived temperature of -2,so an extra fleece and waterproof jacket and snacks can be toted without problem but I hope that once the good weather returns I'll dig out my skinny carry bag and resume normal service with half a dozen clubs.

Experiences with motorised trolleys have been 'interesting',where I played in the Midlands the 8th hole had a long lake down the left side,all downhill from a very elevated tee a steep slope running down to the fairway,it was deemed 'cool' to let your trolley run free down the last 15 yards or so but one Sunday morning one of the guys in the group let his loose halfway down the slope.

Either the wheels were slightly off or his bag not centred but the thing took off veering left,straight towards the lake.

Alistair was not very tall,short legs pumping he tried desperately to catch it to no avail,the entire outfit went into about 8' of water,recovered the following day by the greenstaff,I mean we all felt really sorry for him but there's just no way that you can stop p*s**ng yourself laughing!

I caddied for my pal when he was an assistant and he brought a motorised trolley with him which was great,it was baking hot so I had the bag filled with bottles of water and fruit,it certainly made my job easier.

Just after the turn there was a hole with an island green,my pal wedged on and I ran over to hand him his putter and take his Vokey and when I turned round the trolley had gone!

One of those moments of disbelief followed by 'How am I going to explain losing a trolley in the middle of a golf course?'.

I did a 360 and off to my left was an avenue of trees bordering the next fairway and about 100 yards down I could see the errant trolley,front wheels up the trunk,rear wheels trying for purchase doing a great impression of a dog humping a leg!

If the tree hadn't stopped it that trolley would have been back in York before us!

Played with a guy today who had a 3 wheeler with a spring loaded seat on the side. He sat down and it lowered a base that stabilized it. He got up and it retracted and was ready to push again. Very cool. Wish I could still physically walk a course. I miss it.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Hence forth I refer to my push cart as a trolley.

I have been calling them trolleys for some time since hooking up with our friends from across the big pond on WRX

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft