Iron headcovers - yay or nay?

Sixth, the idea that they cause moisture damage or get dirt and grit in them causing more wear and tear is unfounded. If you take care of your equipment and wipe your clubs down after each shot that would never be an issue.

If you wipe down your clubs after every shot you're probably holding up the rest of the course causing slow play. As far as head covers are concerned, I could care less if someone uses them or not, just as long as it doesn't interfere with other golfers such as slow play would do.

IMO, spending too long hunting for balls, hailing the beverage cart every other hole, not playing ready golf (the primary cause I've seen) and such are the culprits which cause slow play.... things like wiping clubs, putting on head covers and other things that take like 10-15 seconds tops and are trivial contributors at best.

Sixth, the idea that they cause moisture damage or get dirt and grit in them causing more wear and tear is unfounded. If you take care of your equipment and wipe your clubs down after each shot that would never be an issue.

If you wipe down your clubs after every shot you're probably holding up the rest of the course causing slow play. As far as head covers are concerned, I could care less if someone uses them or not, just as long as it doesn't interfere with other golfers such as slow play would do.

Well, it certainly sounds like you'd be a real joy to play with. Holding up the rest fo the course huh?

You sound like one of those guys who lose the joy of the game because you're constantly stressing out over speed of play, huffing and puffing about every little thing that anyone else is doing, complaining about the group in front playing too slow while simultaneously griping about the guys behind you playing up on you a little too close.

I'd bet you wouldn't even notice me removing/replacing my head covers or wiping down my club after each shot because its pretty seamless. You have to put your hand on the clubhead to remove it from the bag, so your hand is already on the head cover when it comes out. In basically one motion you remove the head cover and place it in your pocket as you move to the ball to address it, make your shot, walk back to your bag where your towel is hanging, wipe any grass or mud you may have collected, reach in your pocket and grab the head cover and place it on the head, which is the part you'll be holding to put it back in your bag. I'm fairly certain I could do all of that in the same amount of time you do whatever process you do, only you'll end up with dirty beat up looking clubs and undue stress, and I'll be headed to my ball.

• Like 1

Well, it certainly sounds like you'd be a real joy to play with. Holding up the rest fo the course huh?

You sound like one of those guys who lose the joy of the game because you're constantly stressing out over speed of play, huffing and puffing about every little thing that anyone else is doing, complaining about the group in front playing too slow while simultaneously griping about the guys behind you playing up on you a little too close.

I'd bet you wouldn't even notice me removing/replacing my head covers or wiping down my club after each shot because its pretty seamless. You have to put your hand on the clubhead to remove it from the bag, so your hand is already on the head cover when it comes out. In basically one motion you remove the head cover and place it in your pocket as you move to the ball to address it, make your shot, walk back to your bag where your towel is hanging, wipe any grass or mud you may have collected, reach in your pocket and grab the head cover and place it on the head, which is the part you'll be holding to put it back in your bag. I'm fairly certain I could do all of that in the same amount of time you do whatever process you do, only you'll end up with dirty beat up looking clubs and undue stress, and I'll be headed to my ball.

It’s been my experience that the guy with the iron headcovers is always hitting first after the group’s tee shots so it’s never an issue.

;)

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

The new rules seem a little ambivalent on this;

If I lose an iron head cover am I still entitled to five minutes search time or is it now three same as for a ball?

It hasn't changed... it's same as for Drivers and Fairway wood head covers. I think though there are rule changes for slow searching that will be effective in 2020 but they will never be enforced.

I got iron covers for my Miura MB001's and after 6 yrs sold them to one of the assistants at our golf course for cheap. I did that because he will play them all the time and can't afford to spend a lot on clubs. The covers eliminate bag chatter marks -they don't damage the clubs by holding in dirt ...well unless you never clean your clubs ... then again it's personal choice.Those MB001's are 9.5's on a scale of 10. My buddies apex forged bought last spring are at about 8.0 (carting his clubs, like myself) ...so you are affecting the monetary value of your clubs. I have new covers on my MC501's. At minimum I hit at least one bucket of balls every day thru the Apr-Mid Oct golf season up here (generally play at least 4 rnds a week) and expect them to be at "near new" condition in 5 yrs too.

Now, if i was 20 again, I'd put covers on my irons always. I'd be different than all my buddies (a bonus) and I'd have cash for a new set way before they ever got rid of their dented, rusted and chipped irons.

I used to use them in my early days of golf, but I found myself losing them all the time. I also tried the ones that were tied together, but those would always get tangled up. Both problems were more trouble than they were worth so now I go naked. :swoon:

Taylormade 2016 M2 Driver w/Fujikura 757 XStiff
Taylormade 2017 HL 3W 16.5
Ping I20 Hybrids 17 & 20 Stock Stiff
Ping IE 1 5-PW White Dot w/Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6 54.10S & 58.12K

+1

I can walk and clean my club at the same time.... and put on my head cover.

Taking it off is usually no problem, as I'm waiting on the others to hit anyway.

This thread has been started so many times it's ridiculous. Do what you want. If you don't slow anyone down, who cares. I like my forged irons to look nice and have a decent resale value.

+1

Taking it off is usually no problem, as I'm waiting on the others to hit anyway.

This thread has been started so many times it's ridiculous. Do what you want. If you don't slow anyone down, who cares. I like my forged irons to look nice and have a decent resale value.

You guys are the reason courses are closing.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

+1

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

+1

?? Because I like my iron covers?

Yes, if Forged.......still look new and no chatter.....

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

Can I use this quote in my signature? I'll give you full credit of course.

I'm serious...

Tongue in cheek, my friend

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

• 6 months later...

I don’t use them but also dings don’t bother me since I tend to keep irons for a long time.

Also I tend to slam my 6 iron back into the bag with an angry force after hitting a hosel rocket 3 or 4 times a round. Iron covers would cause me to add a step which I’m not comfortable with.

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature