2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

Well, we went out and played at Northern Bear last night. Usually it is one of my favorites in the Edmonton area, awesome layout. Our first warning should have been when they said it was cart path only because it is so dry. It was awful again. Fairways like highways, greens where you would land a wedge and they would bounce 10 feet in the air. I would not recommend going out there at all right now. Almost every tee shot our group hit ended up in the bush or a bunker, because they just don't stop rolling. I thought that they had that water issue fixed out there, but it seems not. Too bad, I will not be going back there for a while. Just a warning to anyone thinking of going out there... I wouldn't until we get some rain.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

That's to bad, it's a great layout.
I heard they fixed their water problem, but given it's so dry I can see how their holding ponds would be gone by now.....lots of courses in the city having similar issues.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1435513749' post='11850124']
[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1435377962' post='11843088']
Anyone here going to the Mid at Sundre in a couple weeks? Have a few friends going and they've already played practice rounds. Heard great things about the greens. True they'll run 11ish for the tournament?
[/quote]

I'm heading up there. I can't wait. It's short and wide open with great greens. Perfect for me! LOL

I wet the bed the last day last year and finished 5th. I'm wanting revenge this year!
[/quote]Course was in perfect shape for the Mid Am. Really one of the best facilities anywhere around. Could charge a mint if it was in the city and not in a town of 2500.

Scores were low for the AM. Course is not hard but in incredible condition. I played well enough to get into the National Mid Am but not sure if it's worth it to go all the way to Nova Scotia....

[quote name='Fetch07' timestamp='1435544800' post='11852758']Played 27 at The Quarry today, fantastic course and in mint shape. Very impressed. Will definitely come back. Scenic, green rolled true and pace of play on a Sunday was very good. Did 27 in just under 6 hours and the parking lot seemed full.[/quote]

The course will be great in a few more years. Still finding the occasional rock in a fairway or big stones in some of the traps...surprisingly easier from the #2 tees than the #3...still haven't shot par there though, best was a 73 from #2.

Played wintergreen yesterday as part of our family reunion. Course was in good shape, a little wet in places but other than that pretty good. Greens were pretty pure and rolling decent speed. Played a box up for it and actually shot my lowest round ever, 65 with 1 bogey. Made back to back eagles on 10 &11

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1437337842' post='11979748']
Played wintergreen yesterday as part of our family reunion. Course was in good shape, a little wet in places but other than that pretty good. Greens were pretty pure and rolling decent speed. Played a box up for it and actually shot my lowest round ever, 65 with 1 bogey. Made back to back eagles on 10 &11
[/quote]Awesome!! I used to work there. Nice round!

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1437338029' post='11979782']
[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1437337842' post='11979748']
[/quote]Awesome!! I used to work there. Nice round!
[/quote]Thank you, I enjoy playing out there, haven't since the Alberta Junior was there 3 years ago.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I played D'Arcy today. Shot a ho-hum 86 with 31 putts. Couldn't make anything all day. Course is in really nice shape. Greens on the front are a touch faster than the new ones they put in on the back.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Has anybody played Jasper lately? We are going this weekend for a stag... playing Saturday afternoon and potentially Sunday morning. Of all the places I have never played, I have never played Jasper or Banff. Really looking forward to Jasper this weekend. It is always rated one of the best in Canada, and it is not that far from me, and I have never played it. Unbelievable really.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Just a general question for you Alberta golfers: How many rounds per year do you typically get in?

Last year I got about 15ish, with a couple guest appearances at the brother in laws Men's night (which I typically didn't record for handicap purposes, as it was always Twilight golf.. Play as much as you can). On pace for about the same this year.

[quote name='mikedejong' timestamp='1437758917' post='12013178']
Has anybody played Jasper lately? We are going this weekend for a stag... playing Saturday afternoon and potentially Sunday morning. Of all the places I have never played, I have never played Jasper or Banff. Really looking forward to Jasper this weekend. It is always rated one of the best in Canada, and it is not that far from me, and I have never played it. Unbelievable really.
[/quote]

worked there for 5 years. Absolutely my favourite course in Canada. Haven't played it since May long weekend but all my friends say it is in fantastic shape. Greens will be slower than you're use to but is a absolute gem.

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

If I don't get 30+ rounds in during the summer I'm not a happy camper.

I typically get 10~12 rounds down in Phoenix in the off season.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

I play about 100 rounds a calendar year. 2 to 3 trips to Phoenix and Palm Springs each winter, and probably 75 to 80 here in the summer. I play lots compared to most I know!

[quote name='Xavier_11' timestamp='1437784612' post='12015372']
[quote name='mikedejong' timestamp='1437758917' post='12013178']
[/quote]

worked there for 5 years. Absolutely my favourite course in Canada. Haven't played it since May long weekend but all my friends say it is in fantastic shape. Greens will be slower than you're use to but is a absolute gem.
[/quote]thanks, I am very pumped to play it tomorrow!

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

You'll be in for a treat playing JPL. Superb course, as mentioned above the greens are a bit slow this year, but course is fun to play and in good shape from what I have heard.

As for the number of rounds question, with the early start to the year (although it was cold) I'm on pace for about 90 rounds this season (not counting any trips south). Usually play about 80 in the year up here.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Played Jasper on Saturday, it was really nice. The weather was kind of rainy, which was too bad, we didn't get all the mountain views. But oh well, we battled anyway. I loved the course, if I could do it again I would play from the back tee probably. All the par 5's were pretty short from the blue tee that we played. Overall, just a great course and I enjoyed it a lot. The greens were a bit slow and bumpy, but that didn't matter. Loved it all the way around. Had a rough start, even with birdieing both par 5's on the front, still shot 41. But then shot even par on the back, so not bad for my first go around. I would definitely play it again.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

ever since i started playing private in 2011 i've been right around 90-100 rounds. our little guy just turned 1 last week so this year has been a lot more relaxed on the rounds played naturally. usually just sneaking out for a quick 9 after work then home before dinner and still plenty of time with the fam, with a full round on the weekend. I never used practice time before this year so thats not a big deal to me either lol. usually get about 4 or 5 rounds in february as we try to get away for my birthday most years

[quote name='aznives3' timestamp='1438029661' post='12029270']ever since i started playing private in 2011 i've been right around 90-100 rounds. our little guy just turned 1 last week so this year has been a lot more relaxed on the rounds played naturally. usually just sneaking out for a quick 9 after work then home before dinner and still plenty of time with the fam, with a full round on the weekend. I never used practice time before this year so thats not a big deal to me either lol. usually get about 4 or 5 rounds in february as we try to get away for my birthday most years[/quote]

Maybe I missed it, but what does this have to do with the thread?

@Jonzone - this is why

[quote name='remlap13' timestamp='1437770080' post='12014250']Just a general question for you Alberta golfers: How many rounds per year do you typically get in?

Last year I got about 15ish, with a couple guest appearances at the brother in laws Men's night (which I typically didn't record for handicap purposes, as it was always Twilight golf.. Play as much as you can). On pace for about the same this year.[/quote]

[quote name='SP.Campbell' timestamp='1438041576' post='12030698']@Jonzone - this is why

[quote name='remlap13' timestamp='1437770080' post='12014250']Just a general question for you Alberta golfers: How many rounds per year do you typically get in?

Last year I got about 15ish, with a couple guest appearances at the brother in laws Men's night (which I typically didn't record for handicap purposes, as it was always Twilight golf.. Play as much as you can). On pace for about the same this year.[/quote][/quote]

Oh haha, missed that completely. About 50, for what it's worth...

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1438044077' post='12031004']
[quote name='SP.Campbell' timestamp='1438041576' post='12030698']@Jonzone - this is why

Last year I got about 15ish, with a couple guest appearances at the brother in laws Men's night (which I typically didn't record for handicap purposes, as it was always Twilight golf.. Play as much as you can). On pace for about the same this year.[/quote][/quote]

Oh haha, missed that completely. About 50, for what it's worth...
[/quote]

lol i guess i could have quoted the original post i was replying to!

[quote name='Double K' timestamp='1438235535' post='12046182']
Shoot me a note next time. I'm friends with the super. I'll find out what shape the course is in.
[/quote]Will do, course was in real good shape other than the punched greens, we had a staff outing for the guys and gal in the shop at HP there today. I grew up in Okotoks, my mom still lives there and I do too for a fair bit of the summer so its a shame I don't play there that often, definitely one of the more fun tracks I've played.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Playing sirroco Monday, anyone confirm its in mint shape?

Can't wait to play sundre on the 10th. Coyote and sgc at two of the best tracks I can tell someone to play outside the city. Always high marks for those courses. I usually play canals and Lynx.
Canals is awesome as usual and Lynx came back strong after a poor spring.

I get out at least 50 times. I have a VIP card so that helps keep costs reasonable

I've played Sirocco a couple times this year, but not since June. It was in fantastic shape then.

Unless they have punched the greens you should be very happy. It will be hard and fast after all the sun this week.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

The only thing I would maybe be concerned about with sirocco is if they had their club c's saturday sunday they may punch on the monday. No idea their protocol but that's usually what we do at Heritage Pointe. No word on if we are punching tuesday or not, it will be micro if anything.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I played Heritage last Saturday. Pointe and Desert. Shot 36-42 for a new career low. Even had a putt for my first sub par 9. Desert was a bit of a struggle, only my 2nd time on that side and hit some good shots into terrible places.

Course is in superb condition.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2