2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

Played at Spear grass yesterday. Really nice spring condition. The greens were full with no winterkill at all. I think it was $75 with a cart. Really like the course except 17 and 18 ruin it for me every time. 17 has to be one of the worst holes in Western Canada and of course they call it their signature hole !! Lol!

We're standing on the tee with a 20 mile/hour wind coming across the river. It's an 80 foot drop to the landing area that is quite literally 20 yards wide with River on the left and automatic lost ball on the right. I just don't understand why they don't clear cut all of the shrubs on the right side of the hole so that it becomes a great hole instead of a terrible one. One guy could make that a great hole in an afternoon if you just give them the right equipment and paid him $250.

Then hole 18 literally has a cart path 3 feet from the edge of the green. If you hit it a foot left of the green it's down the hill in the river and in an environmental area that they don't want you walking in. If you hit it right of the green it hits the cart path and bounces 20 feet up on the side of a hill that is pretty much lost ball. From the edge of the cartpath To the water hazard is about 12 yards. And the green is 40 yards long. And the hole is 450 yards long and uphill 60 feet. Who thought of this ?!! It's the only course I've ever played where in a strokeplay tournament you could legitimately make 8 on both of the last two holes without having hit a bad shot .

But the first 16 holes are awesome !

Played at Spear grass yesterday. Really nice spring condition. The greens were full with no winterkill at all. I think it was $75 with a cart. Really like the course except 17 and 18 ruin it for me every time. 17 has to be one of the worst holes in Western Canada and of course they call it their signature hole !! Lol!

We're standing on the tee with a 20 mile/hour wind coming across the river. It's an 80 foot drop to the landing area that is quite literally 20 yards wide with River on the left and automatic lost ball on the right. I just don't understand why they don't clear cut all of the shrubs on the right side of the hole so that it becomes a great hole instead of a terrible one. One guy could make that a great hole in an afternoon if you just give them the right equipment and paid him $250.

Then hole 18 literally has a cart path 3 feet from the edge of the green. If you hit it a foot left of the green it's down the hill in the river and in an environmental area that they don't want you walking in. If you hit it right of the green it hits the cart path and bounces 20 feet up on the side of a hill that is pretty much lost ball. From the edge of the cartpath To the water hazard is about 12 yards. And the green is 40 yards long. And the hole is 450 yards long and uphill 60 feet. Who thought of this ?!! It's the only course I've ever played where in a strokeplay tournament you could legitimately make 8 on both of the last two holes without having hit a bad shot .

Played there today and on 18 I was on the cart path by the green and my best option was to putt it from the middle of the cart path in stead of taking a drop. Definitely a bad positioned and angled green for the length of the hole. Also agree on 17 needing to be cut down on the right side. Never understood a hole where the safe lay up was a harder shot then pounding driver.

Rate is $55 including cart right now. If you're nice to them and say you live near by they will give you the residence rate of $40 including cart.

I do love how the course has 6 3's 6 4's and 6 5's. Makes for good presses with all the birdie holes out there.

Played there today and on 18 I was on the cart path by the green and my best option was to putt it from the middle of the cart path in stead of taking a drop. Definitely a bad positioned and angled green for the length of the hole. Also agree on 17 needing to be cut down on the right side. Never understood a hole where the safe lay up was a harder shot then pounding driver.

Rate is $55 including cart right now. If you're nice to them and say you live near by they will give you the residence rate of $40 including cart.

I do love how the course has 6 3's 6 4's and 6 5's. Makes for good presses with all the birdie holes out there.

Got this e-mail notice the other day from RedTail, Edmonton.

D.

RTL%20logo%20Email%20Signature%202.jpg

Hello Everyone,

This Golf Season is almost here!

The Driving Range will be open tomorrow, March 30th.

The hours of operation for the Driving Range will be 10 AM to 7 PM daily.

Even more exciting, the Golf Course will be opening on Wednesday, April 6th.

You will be able to book your tee time starting tomorrow. We offer 7 days advance booking.

The Golf Course is in Spectacular Spring Condition! Be one of the first to play.

Our 2016 Spring Rate will be $85 + GST (GPS Power Cart and Driving Range included).

The Hawks Nest Restaurant will be open for all your Food & Beverage needs.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

6 iron off the tee on 17, and easy 5 wood on 18...disagree with your assessment.

You have to carry it least 200 yards into wind to get to the fairway on 17.

18 is 445 yards uphill. Let's say you hit five wood 230uphill (that's a stretch) leaves you 210yards into a green but it's 12 yards wide playing 2 clubs up hill into the prevailing headwind. So I guess you plan on hitting 5w -5w ??

250, or 290 Driver if you're up for it.

Heritage Pointe opens friday, $75 with cart until the 21st of April I think.

I'm playing it on Saturday

Nice, I may be working in the afternoon.

Oh you're not going to like me. Was planning on coming down around 5pm to get a quick twilight round in. Back to the time of year waiting on one cart to close up.

Haha, turns out I'm not working Saturday my little brother was able to, so I don't think I'll be there.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

What's the issue with that?

No real issue, especially for me cause I'm hourly, plus if your paying to come out I don't care. Just can be annoying if you're waiting an extra half hour or so to close up for the last cart to come in and they're a staff member or something. I've been guilty of that far too many times though so I can't complain.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Played Heritage on Saturday. Price was $78 including cart for twilight.We played Pointe/Heritage and teed off at 3pm and were off the course at 7:15, and probably had 30 mins to spare. Pretty good pace considering they were CPO and it's not really a CPO friendly course. No beverage carts on the course so bring your refreshments with you.

Overall the conditions were very good for spring golf. The course wintered very well, the greens were soft but rolled better than I expected.

I still hate the layout. It's gimmicky, bullxxxx target golf. 3 of 4 par 5's are less than driver. I'm not a bomber by any stretch and only hit three the whole round. They have lots of room to reroute some holes and I think it's time to make some changes. The Pointe 9 really needs some work, especially 4 and 5.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

I love pointe 5 green location,and the undulation.and the new bridge heritage 1.lol

Other than those the course is ok.they need new tee box or at least a level one on pointe 8,last time I played there wasn't a level place on there.

To be fair it's been a couple years since I've played there and they could have made improvements I'm not aware of.

Played Heritage on Saturday. Price was $78 including cart for twilight.We played Pointe/Heritage and teed off at 3pm and were off the course at 7:15, and probably had 30 mins to spare. Pretty good pace considering they were CPO and it's not really a CPO friendly course. No beverage carts on the course so bring your refreshments with you.

Overall the conditions were very good for spring golf. The course wintered very well, the greens were soft but rolled better than I expected.

I still hate the layout. It's gimmicky, bullxxxx target golf. 3 of 4 par 5's are less than driver. I'm not a bomber by any stretch and only hit three the whole round. They have lots of room to reroute some holes and I think it's time to make some changes. The Pointe 9 really needs some work, especially 4 and 5.

You tip it? I think p5 is dumb but it sets up well for me so I don't mind it, played Saturday and had 182 in. Still think heritage 1 is dumber and if you reroute the creek slightly that hole would be really good. Should be CPO for another couple weeks but I'm not sure, god knows when they'll have bev carts out...

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

We played blacks, the guys I was with weren't tips kinda guys.

Next time they redo the scorecards, they should give some thought to a gold/black combo.

Some of the gold tees are in really stupid spots. Pointe #2 as an example.

Heritage #1 is just a bad hole. I hit my tee shot a little bit more left that I wanted and was blocked by the bridge, but in the fairway. Wtf is that?!

Pointe #4 is dumb too especially when they put the pin all the way on the right portion of the green.

I hope they get the greens as good as they had them last year. The green complexes really test your short game and that is why I keep coming back to Heritage.They also have some of the best bunkers in Calgary.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Heritage can be a strange course. I think the desert nine is the best in terms of just straightforward decent golf holes. The other two nines are kind of gimmicky. Heritage has always been a big draw because of how good the conditions are. For the longest time, the greens were better than most private clubs. The last few years they've been a little less pure but still really good ... At least the prices are finally coming down from a couple years ago.

We played blacks, the guys I was with weren't tips kinda guys.

Next time they redo the scorecards, they should give some thought to a gold/black combo.

Some of the gold tees are in really stupid spots. Pointe #2 as an example.

Heritage #1 is just a bad hole. I hit my tee shot a little bit more left that I wanted and was blocked by the bridge, but in the fairway. Wtf is that?!

Pointe #4 is dumb too especially when they put the pin all the way on the right portion of the green.

I hope they get the greens as good as they had them last year. The green complexes really test your short game and that is why I keep coming back to Heritage.They also have some of the best bunkers in Calgary.

Yea I agree, I think they were scared of the bridge getting flooded it on h1 again and they went overboard. P4 I don't understand the point of the rock wall, just seems like unnecessary maintenance and like you said it blocks out the right pin almost completely unless you hug the right side. FWIW the pin is ~10 yards short of halfway up the back hill if you can't laser the flag.

And yea from blacks driver is almost completely taken out of your hands, from gold its not alot better on P/H I think I hit 6 maybe 7 drivers.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Played Northern Bear yesterday, was a great day apart from the playing like a moron part!

Greens were slow & sandy (to be expected week 1 of the season I guess) but were in great shape and ran extremely true, and the rest of the course was in good shape for the time of year - not that I saw too many of the fairways...

Truth be told I probably would have been disappointed if we'd paid full pop, but it was a fun track and a good way to start the year!

Played Northern Bear yesterday, was a great day apart from the playing like a moron part!

Greens were slow & sandy (to be expected week 1 of the season I guess) but were in great shape and ran extremely true, and the rest of the course was in good shape for the time of year - not that I saw too many of the fairways...

Truth be told I probably would have been disappointed if we'd paid full pop, but it was a fun track and a good way to start the year!

The Spring rate for Northern Bear is pretty reasonable. Greens were a little sandy and slow. Broadmoor in Sherwood Park have really good greens for early April. Happy Spring everyone, enjoy the rounds.