RECAP: Q&A with COBRA GOLF! Tuesday, May 1, 1pm ET / 10am PT. Bonus Giveaway!

With Rickie going with a short driver shaft last year, can you comment on how that's influenced sales of the regular length vs tour length drivers?

a_gorilla, We have seen a little pickup in the shorter length driver, as golfers try them through the fitting process. Hard to tell but its probably about 10% more. - TO

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we expect to see continued advancements and commitments to the single length lines (ie. possibilities of fairway woods/driver, F9 and beyond)?

We have been thinking about these ever since Bryson joined our staff, but currently we haven't seen any advantage yet in fws and drivers. And Bryson loves our drivers and fws now, so there isn't a big need to change what is already working great. The F8 ONE hybrids are awesome, though so you should give them a try if you haven't already. - TO

By going to a milled face design on the driver, were you able to gain ball speed and forgiveness?

Also, with moving to a milled design on the face of the driver, is there a potential for the groves to be worn down over a period of time?

Yes, ball speed from thickness control and more forgiveness from more consistent ball speeds and weight savings in the face being place on the perimeter of the head for more MOI. There should not be significant wear on the milled face grooves for a couple of reasons; inherently less sand and other debris between ball and face on tee shots, titanium is very durable. - MY

Re: King Forged TEC Black irons...

- Current back-ordered status on Forged TEC Black irons? - Why? - If I order today, when will you ship?

- The website doesn't show Golf Pride CP2 Wrap in midsize option. - Availability? - If I order without grips, will I save? - How much?

- The website shows 5° loft gaps from the 7-iron to the GW! - Seems excessive?

- Can combo sets be ordered with Forged TEC / Pro Forged MB irons?

Re: Hybrids:

- Can the swingweight be increased on the Hybrids from D0 to D4-5? - Hot-melt added?

Thanks HipCheck!

Joe Duffer, Lots of questions and since we are R&D guys, will forward the delivery ones to our service team to get you a response. On the comment on 5° gaps, this is pretty standard in the industry now and you can check the other guys site to confirm. From a data perspective, we are getting a huge amount of data on iron distances and gapping from our friends at Arccos. Most golfer have big overlaps in gapping now, especially those with average swing speeds and slower. We have seen this over the years in our testing as well, so it makes perfect sense that the loft gaps have moved from 4° (where they were for decades) to 5° now. Doesn't seem that drastic given the performance data we are seeing. - TO

Can you describe the changes in bulge and roll that you made to the F8/+?

TravAz, there has been much talk recently about face radii, we have been doing Dual Roll for over 7 years. We use Dual Roll to make the bottom radius of the face flatter (to add some loft) for those low impacts. Most players w swingspeeds below 105 mph need more loft on low shots to maximize distance. This is across the entire face so it's much better than the other guys drivers. - TO

Where are you finding tech improvements in the single length line? And, do you see this as a niche market or it becoming more mainstream?

Mr Grumpy, love the name! We continue to find improvements in ONE length, with improvements in lie angles, blade sizes and CGs further back, as well as continued shaft updates as we learn more about ONE length performance. Overall we have had great success and expect it to continue to grow as they are tons of golfers out there who can benefit from more consistency. - TO

How did the Tour staff react to the milled driver face? Were they involved in the development at all?

Initial reaction - really flipping cool, precise, loved the ball impression on face after impact. Ultimately... it works. Yes - We show our tour players prototype product earlier that most OEMs, getting tour feedback is key to our development process. - MY

What is the potential drawback in using a set of single length irons vs a traditional set?

- TO Not many, we have found that most golfers are more consistent with ONE length due to better ball contact. Additional benefits of ONE length are less practice and warmup time needed, better more consistent short game (especially if the short game is poor). We have found for some lower hitting, slower swing speeds that today's stronger lofted long irons are hard to hit, so if that player still wants a long iron (can you say hybrids!) they would see a little gap compression for those shots. (1 yd per 1/2" from robot testing) The biggest drawback is it isnt what people are used to and its hard for them to change. And honestly, any player who isnt good now, should be in ONE length. (when I mean good, I'm thinking 5 bhandicap or better)

Been a cobra convert for a while. Great gear, lots of tech. Love the Looks and the clubs feel great. What’s the status on the new MB/CB set of irons? Is there any new technology in the new MB? Weight distribution, higher muscle, etc. Is it going to be a 2019 release? The king MB’s and CBs are pretty much the perfect club.

The F8+ driver and 3w are absolutely amazing. The small head in the 3w is so perfect and is a rocket launcher. Thank You thank you!!!

Would someone using a variable length set be able to plug a one length hybrid in their bag? Would lower loft be needed to achieve variable length hybrid distance?

With many ONE length clubs, golfers actually hit them better and more consistently that variable length. Based on this, hard to recommend a loft fitting, but go try a few and it should be fairly easy to figure out with a launch monitor. - TO

The King pro irons in the black finish are some of the best iron design ever made. Is there any plan to have a similar finish in a one length set, in wedges, driving irons? Cobra is really adavanced with respect to using tech to improve performance, I'd love to see Cobra make putters.

Taminwrx, check out our website, we have lots of great looking new product there in black! - TO

Hi, I've been a loyal Cobra iron player since the King Cobra ProMB's and CB's back quite a few years ago and now play the S3 Pro CB's and have to say I love these irons and have been playing them for last 4 seasons. My question is do you think Cobra will ever go back to making those satin finished Endo forged irons again? I tried the newer blades and CB's and just couldn't get the same feel as I did with the older irons. I wish I could get some old stock if there was any available I'd buy 3 sets for future use. Also haven't tried the F8+ as of yet but I still love the Fly Z+ and the King LTD, some great Drivers so i'm sure the F8 series will be great as well. Keep up the great work guys. I keep telling all my friends they are missing out on some of the best made clubs today! Again if there's any old stock hidden of those S3's hit me up please!

Thanks, Tim

TWshoot67, Just so you know, our current MB/CBs are nearly identical to the old versions in most of the important performance characteristics of the head (CG, MOI, steel types, plating type etc etc). When most players comment on feel, there is also a shaft and grip involved, which are critical to swing and impact feel. - TO

When conceptualizing a new line of clubs, do you try and develop something that the other OEM's aren't capitalizing on or producing, or do you stick with what you do well/what has worked for you and continue to build on that?

We do many things to innovate in every area. Innovation is very challenging and takes years to bring to market, so we usually are first to launch new Innovations. That being the case, there are smart people at the other companies and we are all looking to gain and edge, so sometimes things come out around the same time. Since they take years to make, the similar thoughts may have been the same many years in advance of the launch. No one can react that quickly, but companies may have been working on similar ideas for a couple years in secrecy. - TO

Mike Yagley Sr Director of Innovation and AI Cobra Golf (Cobra PUMA Golf) (yup... greatest job in the world!)

What's the best way to get fitted properly and matched up with the right set of Cobra clubs for me?

Use the fitter locator on our site to find a good local fitter: https://www.cobragolf.com/dealer-locator?filter=fitters bring in your clubs, be clear about what you are looking for, sharing on course Arccos 360 data would help a bunch too!! - MY

how do you manage the one length utility iron launch, considering the likelihood of a lower club head speed than the equivalent "normal length" utility iron? obviously they aren't simply the same head. is a higher swing speed needed to manage the single length?

The secret to ONE length is using the extra weight (from a shorter club in this case) to improve performance. So with the hybrids added head weight, we have a lower CG (higher launch and more speed) and more MOI (more speed an forgiveness). Combine this with the tendency of most players to hit them more solidly than variable length, and you have the proverbial win-win scenario. - TO

I have one cobra club in the bag right now and that's a Fly Z + driver. As a lefty I dont switch clubs all that much. What is it about your clubs, especially irons that might make me consider trying?

Bobby S, we have some great irons and we have Cobra Connect. No one else has shot tracking as stock with their irons! Cobra Connect golfers get better just by using the Arccos 360 system. What's not to love about getting better! - TO

What's the best way to get fitted properly and matched up with the right set of Cobra clubs for me?

Use the fitter locator on our site to find a good local fitter: https://www.cobragolf.com/dealer-locator?filter=fitters bring in your clubs, be clear about what you are looking for, sharing on course Arccos 360 data would help a bunch too!! - MY

Unfortunately, the two places here that are listed in my town don’t carry everything. One carries only your f6 or f7 driver and the other carries your f8 lone but not the forged tecs or new wedges. Can we get that updated haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

I picked up a set of the previous version Forged Tec (non black) over the winter. I was wondering if there was a difference between those and the new black version other than the color.

Thank you

The new Forged Tec has a different face material, high strength 4140 steel, so its a little thinner and faster. We also changed the medallion system to our Carbon Feel technology like the F8, so they will feel a little better than the previous KING Forged Tecs. - TO

Any possibility of making one length player irons with a raw and/or black oxide finish? The King pro irons are just gorgeous.

Tamimwrx; Puma is a leader in fashion trends on and off the golf course. Things like the joggers, high tops, and button down golf shirts, and PWRSHAPE golf skirts are some examples of this. The Puma Golf design team is always looking at fresh looks. Rickie, Lexi and Bryson have input as to what they like and want to wear both for style and comfort. Catering to Rickie's and Lexi's evolving tastes has proven to be a successful business model so far. - RR

Mike Yagley Sr Director of Innovation and AI Cobra Golf (Cobra PUMA Golf) (yup... greatest job in the world!)

I love cobra fws. Been using one for the past few years with great success and really like the F6 Baffler's versatility as well as the F7's adjustability. I also love the Fly-Z+ 3-4 for it's feel and performance. What prompted the return to split models (+ and reg) instead of one adjustable model? If you used a 3w almost exclusively from the tee, which model of F8 would be best? And I noticed Rickie dumped the Fly-Z+ and F6 Baffler (2 of my favorites) for F8+s. What can the F8+ do for him that the other models didn't?

Also,... If, say, I wanted to have pink or blue weight on the FW, can I use an F8 driver weight in a fw?

Thank you!!!

Jokerusn, We changed from a two weight design since many players asked us for a smaller more compact head, instead of a larger head with moveable weights. We had been making the smaller heads for tour every year, even if we didn't sell, so this year when Rickie put them in play and won the first week, it made sense to us to offer for everyone! Rickie loves the new F8+ fws for the ball flight, feel and the look/style of the the Nardo finish. The slight adjustment in the Baffler Rails were also driven by his feedback and he has found added confidence and consistency with them vs his previous fws. Sorry, Driver weights are larger than the fws so they aren't interchangeable. - TO