TPC Boston questions

Captain 3 Wiggle

My wife and I will be in Boston for Labor Day and plan on going over to the TPC for one day (Sat or Sun). I know its roughly an hour outside of downtown Boston but what is the easiest way to get to the course as an out of town visitor? We are staying downtown.

Renting a car?

Uber?

Shuttle(if possible)?

Train?

Local WRXer picking us up and taking us?

Also, any recs for the city. Its my first time in Boston so I'm open to anything.

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renting a car is your only option, it's so far and out of the way that Uber would probably cost you more. I'd do 2 dinners at different spots in the North End, you can take other high end restaurant suggestions but it's all higher priced for inferior food. The TPC is so crowded on the weekend I'd go early Friday(6-7am) if you could...public parking and shuttles all over the place when you get there. After a few hours which is more than enough there you could shoot to some Newport winery's, or cut across and head down to the Cape if you really have a full day to burn and drive out to Provincetown and there's a million stops in between if you go that way. You definitely need a car though once you leave the city.

Former Masshole here and I confirm what the other poster said. If you want to go the tournament you will need to rent a car. Avoid renting a car at Logan airport as it is a complete ripoff. Maybe rent a zipcar if that is still around. If you decide not to leave the city you should definitely NOT rent a car. It is a great walking city and the MBTA will take you anywhere you want to go in the Boston area. As for the tournament I would definitely go Friday or Saturday. The Sunday and Labor Day rounds will be crowded and on Labor Day you will drive back into the city that evening with every one else coming back from a long weekend at the Cape.

My wife and I will be in Boston for Labor Day and plan on going over to the TPC for one day (Sat or Sun). I know its roughly an hour outside of downtown Boston but what is the easiest way to get to the course as an out of town visitor? We are staying downtown.

Renting a car?

Uber?

Shuttle(if possible)?

Train?

Local WRXer picking us up and taking us?

Also, any recs for the city. Its my first time in Boston so I'm open to anything.

Any help is appreciated.

Renting a car.

Have attended the tournament, and the first time, I was surprised with how far it was from the city. Luckily, we were staying in that direction anyhow, but it's a good drive out :)

There is the option of the commuter rail from downtown Boston. The Providence line has a stop in Mansfield, that's not far from Norton (it's 4 miles from the station to the golf course) - you could probably Uber it from there to the course, or to the Comcast Center in Mansfield where they have shuttle buses to and from the golf course. They don't have the train schedule updated through September yet but there are multiple trains per day.

https://mbta.com/sch...?direction_id=0

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Best option is to drive down to the Xfinity Center (formerly the Comcast Center or Great Woods) in Mansfield and park there. That is the official parking lot and they run shuttle buses to the entry to the golf course. It's really easy and right off the highway too with not too much of a traffic jamb as people are in and out all day. I prefer going on Sunday as it's after the cut so you're seeing only those players playing really well that week. The course is quite spread out with some rolling hills so wear something comfortable as you will be walking a lot of real estate. I've found the best method is to walk the front nine backwards and then do the same around the back nine afterwards and you'll end up seeing the majority of the players. Also great viewing at the beginning of the day on the range where you can get pretty close to the players and see the ridiculous shots they attempt. The weather is usually pretty nice and there's lots of food around the course too. I've found the best viewing spots are where holes 5,6 and 7 meet . The front nine has some nice viewing spots but it is remote and therefore a lot of people won't walk out that far. Have a great time.

If you're going to do a Newport Vineyards wine tour (recommended), stop and eat in Providence on the way there or back. A few of the best...

https://redstriperestaurants.com/

https://alforno.com/

http://panevino.net/

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I visited a friend in Boston for the Tournament last year and we ended up taking a train out to the middle of no where and then uber-ing to the course from there. Not sure if this was the cheapest/shortest/most efficient option, but it is an option as well.

Have fun! Last year its likely to be on the schedule.

There is the option of the commuter rail from downtown Boston. The Providence line has a stop in Mansfield, that's not far from Norton (it's 4 miles from the station to the golf course) - you could probably Uber it from there to the course, or to the Comcast Center in Mansfield where they have shuttle buses to and from the golf course. They don't have the train schedule updated through September yet but there are multiple trains per day.

I'll second taking the train into Mansfield and Ubering to the Xfinity Center to catch the shuttle in. Nothing between Boston and Norton worth renting a car and stopping for and you won't have to worry about having a couple beers and then driving all the way back while you're there

If you're going to do a Newport Vineyards wine tour (recommended), stop and eat in Providence on the way there or back. A few of the best...

Alforno in Providence is A+ though if you do go that route.

I visited a friend in Boston for the Tournament last year and we ended up taking a train out to the middle of no where and then uber-ing to the course from there. Not sure if this was the cheapest/shortest/most efficient option, but it is an option as well.

Have fun! Last year its likely to be on the schedule.

Hey, it's not the middle of nowhere, I live out there...

Who am I kidding, it's a sleepy suburb in the middle of nowhere.

• 1 month later...

I'm local, and have attended many times.

Norton is an hour+ from Boston with a lot of traffic once you get close to the course.

Parking is off-site up the street, in a sprawling, crowded lot and time consuming. It'll take you an hour to park, go through the security screening, get on the shuttle and get to the venue and then walk out to the 9th fairway where the entry path leads. From there it's at least another 20-30 minutes to find a good viewing spot elsewhere on the course, much more depending on where you go. Ditto when you depart, and depending on the time the traffic can be much worse.

A realistic day is probably min 6 hours IMO. I have stayed 8-10 when I've gone to actually see different players and different holes.

As for the day, I've tried each one, and prefer Friday and Sat to be able to see as much as possible (remember this event runs Friday-Monday), including seeing players on the range. By Sunday and Monday, most of the crowd is following just a few groups and it's hard to get a decent view of the action unless you camp in one spot all day. If you try to follow a group around the course you'll always be behind big crowds and craning to get a fleeting view here and there.

I'll second taking the train into Mansfield and Ubering to the Xfinity Center to catch the shuttle in. Nothing between Boston and Norton worth renting a car and stopping for and you won't have to worry about having a couple beers and then driving all the way back while you're there

Alforno in Providence is A+ though if you do go that route.

Andino's is a favorite spot for me and the Mrs. on Federal Hill in Providence. For those that don't know, Federal Hill is Providence's smaller version of the North End.