2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Vintage McGregor Help - What do I have here?

Hello,

Took a chance on some clubs as I could not find any info on them.

They are Diamonndback blades 2-SW. The SW is not a Diamonndback but matching. The diamonds do have some shaping on the bottom and straight on top.

They say By Nicklaus and Custom Limited on the backs. I've seen Custom Tourney sets but nothing like these.

Please let me know the history on these.

Thank you all!

What does the script say on the backs? It's pretty tough to read, especially upside down and with that PIA watermark.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Maltby Top Site TS-6  putter 41"

rmc-

You seek information and history.

Your photos are of MacGregor Custom Limited (by Nicklaus) irons.

Are there photos of the club faces?

Custom grind faces are different due to custom order- some have diamond framed scoring lines, while others do not.

What is the Reg No on the ferrules?

In most cases, the Sand Wedge does not have diamond back pad design, though some RH SW models from the 1950s did have the "MT Wingback" grind.

Note- (LH MacGregor models stopped the diamond back grind at the 9 iron- no PW, or SW.)

MacGregor closed it's doors in 2009, taking all the information on their custom grinds with them.

Don White had worked for MacGregor since 1971, but he now does custom ground irons for National Golf Works.

Depending on the year (early '70s), it is likely Don White or Art Emerson who did the work on this set.

Clay Long, a noted club designer who did work for MacGregor, would also be a great source to answer your questions.

Good Luck.

Jack Nicklaus played a MacGregor diamond back set of irons early in his career.

Don White makes a similar custom set now.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I have a hunch that the shape of the muscle pad on any decent forged blade is more cosmetic than functional. But if that's the case, you might as well have a really cool looking design - and to my eyes there's none cooler than those old diamond backs.

IMO the design of the back of the MB blades has something to do with weight distribution. This is before the parameter weight design came out. The older MB had the weight bar across the back, moving the bar to lower side to elevate the long irons and the middle for the mid irons and to the higher spot across the back for short irons to control the trajectory.

The diamond shaped design is to move more weight into the center of the head ( power spot ? ). Not sure but some of the older irons had the different shape of the design .

IMO the design of the back of the MB blades has something to do with weight distribution. [...]

I agree, but my hunch is that the effect is smaller than you'd expect. The muscle back design is visually obvious. Less conspicuous are the other factors like blade height, hosel length, and the thickness of the blade as it varies from topline to sole.Once you factor in ALL of those, you seem to end up with a CoG that moves maybe a quarter of an inch in any direction and, in my hands at least, plays pretty similarly.

IMO the design of the back of the MB blades has something to do with weight distribution. [...]

I agree, but my hunch is that the effect is smaller than you'd expect. The muscle back design is visually obvious. Less conspicuous are the other factors like blade height, hosel length, and the thickness of the blade as it varies from topline to sole.Once you factor in ALL of those, you seem to end up with a CoG that moves maybe a quarter of an inch in any direction and, in my hands at least, plays pretty similarly.

All Diamond backs are balanced with most of the weight behind the sweet spot. Trust me the ball comes off hot on those compared to other designs or at least for me it does. I know I hit my stock 57s with stock Pro Pel 2 shafts higher than I do either set of my 62 FC-4000s with the same shafts. Go figure that? Of course everyone's AOA is different

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

It says "custom limited." There was a set on ebay recently. My uneducated shot in the dark guess is that these were a limited edition sort of like the "tourney custom" sets of old, but from the late 80's, early 90's?

Yep straight out of the custom shop

All Diamond backs are balanced with most of the weight behind the sweet spot. Trust me the ball comes off hot on those compared to other designs or at least for me it does. I know I hit my stock 57s with stock Pro Pel 2 shafts higher than I do either set of my 62 FC-4000s with the same shafts. Go figure that? Of course everyone's AOA is different

Hey Stu - that I don't doubt. For one thing, you might be one of the relative few who strikes the ball consistently enough to see a difference in flight from relatively small design changes. (Me, not so much :lol: )

The other possible factor, and I have not had diamond backs in my hand to see for myself, but I have a set of Tourney MT FC4000s that are deep faced and relatively thick in the top half of the blade. Compared to a set of VIPs or Muirfields, there's a bunch of design aspects that would tend towards a lower launch, of which the muscle pad design and placement is just one.

I did once pass up on a part set of Paul Azinger signature diamond backs. I figured that I'd never fill the gaps and that would drive me nuts. I certainly haven't seen that model for real ever since - although I'm more often playing a short set these days so the gaps might not have been such an issue.

Hey Stu - that I don't doubt. For one thing, you might be one of the relative few who strikes the ball consistently enough to see a difference in flight from relatively small design changes. (Me, not so much :lol: )

The other possible factor, and I have not had diamond backs in my hand to see for myself, but I have a set of Tourney MT FC4000s that are deep faced and relatively thick in the top half of the blade. Compared to a set of VIPs or Muirfields, there's a bunch of design aspects that would tend towards a lower launch, of which the muscle pad design and placement is just one.

I did once pass up on a part set of Paul Azinger signature diamond backs. I figured that I'd never fill the gaps and that would drive me nuts. I certainly haven't seen that model for real ever since - although I'm more often playing a short set these days so the gaps might not have been such an issue.

Not that I consider myself a good ball striker but any of the copper faces seem hotter to me than a FC face. Where it really get hot for me is on a bump and run the ball seems to come of hotter on a copper faced 7 iron than it does any of my VIPs or Muirfields or FCs for that matter. It is darn sure a sight hotter than my Mizuno 68s. I actually had the same problem with the M-85 reissue Colorkroms I had. Loved it on the long irons but hated it on the short irons. In fact for about 6 months I played a "combo set" of VIP w thru 6 iron and 2 thru 5 with the M-85s. But then again it may be just me

Got them in today. Man are they sweet and tiny in the long irons. They are in darn good shape too.

Please see the serial number below and let me know if anyone has more info.

May be taking them to the course for an evening nine.

Beautiful just beautiful. Can you say "buttah knife"? of course they look natural to me. I do not have a Kaplan Catalog so I can't be of any help on the numbers

So, assuming those are the original shafts, those are most likely from the 1980s. I think Jack left MacGregor and took his name with him in 1991. TTDG came out in 1980. I would guess it was the standard shaft for high end irons through the mid and late 80s. Early '80s Muirfield irons were plain Dynamic. But yours being custom order means you can't be too specific. Curious to hear how they play once you've hit them, and also how you came to find them in such great shape.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

These irons are custom ordered models, but I'm not sure if they are from the Ohio or Georgia days. They are not Diamondbacks in the strict sense of the word. Their shape is more reminiscent of the PT irons from the late 1950's, with the scooped shape on the top of the blades as shown in the pics of the PT3's or the Paul Azinger models. true Diamondbacks have straight cuts top and bottom like TA SS1's.