Maltby TS2

Popeye64

14 minutes ago, Colej said:

I’m one that would tell you to get the TS3 (or even the TS2) and not the max. This decision is ultimately up to you but the Max were just a bit to clunky for me.

I will fully admit that I’m more of a sweeper/picker and don’t take much of a divot. 

I currently game the Sim2 Max.  I'm a bit used to clunky.  LOL

54 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

@Popeye64 Question:  TS3 Pak w/Score shaft is $499.  KE4 Max is $255 w/score shaft.  Is the $245 difference going to get you that much better performance, looks, etc?

I bought a 6 iron head of each to try out (and for those keeping score at home, I am now up to 35 order confirmation emails from golfworks). I kind of expect the ke4 max to be clunkier looking, clicker sounding, but maybe a little bit more point and shoot than the ts3. But I'm expecting them to both be even more forgiving than the ts1's I have in my backup bag now. 

I figure the only way to be sure is to try them out.

I really wish golfworks had a demo program like sub70. I think they would sell a lot more clubs if they made it easier for people to try them out 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elsie451 said:

I bought a 6 iron head of each to try out (and for those keeping score at home, I am now up to 35 order confirmation emails from golfworks). I kind of expect the ke4 max to be clunkier looking, clicker sounding, but maybe a little bit more point and shoot than the ts3. But I'm expecting them to both be even more forgiving than the ts1's I have in my backup bag now. 

I figure the only way to be sure is to try them out.

I really wish golfworks had a demo program like sub70. I think they would sell a lot more clubs if they made it easier for people to try them out 

For the price on Maltby just buy/try and if ya don't like em.... move em. Sell here, ebay, donate to a new golfer to grow the game. They're relatively inexpensive even when you look at other DTC. They're a deal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nideda24 said:

TS3 7 irons arrived today for testing. Had GW build one with a Modus 105x and one with DG 120 X100. Currently gaming a set of TS-1s with DG X100 (130g). Current set swing weight is on the high end for my liking (D7) since the irons are +1/2” which is why I’m considering other shaft options. 

At first glance, I was expecting the TS3 to be noticeably larger than the TS-1, but  they looked very similar to my eye. I’ll upload some comparison pictures between the two soon. The TS3s look great, exited to see how they feel and perform compared to the TS-1s. 

C6FDB15F-F316-420F-92C1-C9A1EB431022.jpeg

5E2474C9-1E28-4BAE-8C1A-5BCADFF7BD03.jpeg

1EB343E3-698C-4351-A44F-ACEB1352319D.jpeg

D SEVEN, 130g... Wow that must wear you out coming down the stretch. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

I’ve always been accustomed to the heavier swing weight, and full weight shafts tend to keep my tempo in check. That said, I’m getting older and I think the lighter weight steel shafts might help some. Modus 105x came out to D3.5 and DG 120 X100 came out to just over D5. 

I’ve got a set of DG 120 X100 pulls, standard length, laying around too, so who knows, if I like the lighter weight, I might just pull the TS-1 heads and shaft them up with those SS 1x to get a little more launch and playing closer to +1/2”. Fun times ahead. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

A Mizuno forged iron, a Miura, some of the Titleist blades, usually smaller in size, compact mass. Those high quality forgings when hit properly, leaves a feeling that travels through the hands and into the soul, in a soft almost missed the ball sort of way. It's a feeling of bliss. 

You don't even need to look up to know it was a perfect shot. 

Also when that tiny forged head is not hit properly it stings the hands. 

For sure.  When I used to play my 1962 Wilson Staff blades with leather grips, those pure shots were beyond description.  On the other hand, when you mishit a 2 or 3 iron, your hands reminded you for the next 3-4 holes.  They sure taught you to hit the sweet spot.  

I still have them and often think I should play a round with them just for fun.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nideda24 said:

And @dhen9

it might just be the way they photograph…but the back of those ts3s look a little bit like shovels. Can anyone confirm or deny?

13 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Let me introduce you to my driver with a TT DG S300 shaft in it.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

Sole width and blade length very similar amongst the TS1, 1-im, 3, and 4.....within a ~mm blade length and sole width.  Some slight difference in heel height/toe height and topline may make a difference the way they appear at address.  Could put the TE/DBM in there too. TS2 will look the clunkiest with a thicker topline and more offset!

48 minutes ago, Bryceslu said:

And @dhen9

it might just be the way they photograph…but the back of those ts3s look a little bit like shovels. Can anyone confirm or deny?

47 minutes ago, Nideda24 said:

Some more pics compared to the TS-1 7 iron. I can see why some might get that impression, though in person, I’d say they still look pretty sleek. 

Thanks for the extra pictures as they help put into perspective against the ts1. 
You are selling me the TS1s even more now and I may continue waiting for the ts1im. 

• Like 1

@Popeye64a few questions...

1. How does the TS-3 compare to the MMB irons? 

2. My understanding is TS-4 is supposed to be the new and improved MMB, is this accurate?

Thanks for all of the information you have provided.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

9 minutes ago, S.A. OSO said:

@Popeye64a few questions...

1. How does the TS-3 compare to the MMB irons? 

2. My understanding is TS-4 is supposed to be the new and improved MMB, is this accurate?

Thanks for all of the information you have provided.

If you were going to do a comparison of the legacy heads to the TS3  the TE is a lot closer to the TS3. The sole and cavity reminds me in a way of the TE heads. A lot of mass low and a relatively wide sole but not as wide as the TE. My first in hand thoughts were definitely TE looking. The lineage is obvious. 

The MMB had a very unique back side. Almost a cavity like sculpted back. In fact it was a well disguised cavity back iron. But the sole was fairly thin with a sharp leading edge. A lot of forgiveness for a picker, but brutal on a diggers swing. 

From the posted pictures it's tough to tell how the back side of the TS4 has been constructed. Not sure if it captures the MMB sculpted cavity or not. But yes in a way its the modern rendition of the MMB. 

I would expect the TS4 to be an iron people love to play but probably shouldn't. Just like the MMB. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback and answers, I have been playing the MMB and MMB-17 for probably around 10 years and love the look and feel of them. I had a TS1 6 iron assembled to test last summer and did not feel it blew the MMB away. The TS3 looks great and seems like it could be worth a shot based on all of the feedback about it. If I remember right, you were really high on the TS2 because of the forgiveness. Do you like the TS3 better than the TS2? And if so, then why?

Thanks again.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

11 hours ago, Nideda24 said:

Some more pics compared to the TS-1 7 iron. I can see why some might get that impression, though in person, I’d say they still look pretty sleek. 

E65F5798-7531-4D57-999E-6085B04E47CD.jpeg

This one is a pretty big difference to my eye. Still may give the TS3 a sampling. I suppose I could learn to accept the footprint if the performance were there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S.A. OSO said:

Thanks for the feedback and answers, I have been playing the MMB and MMB-17 for probably around 10 years and love the look and feel of them. I had a TS1 6 iron assembled to test last summer and did not feel it blew the MMB away. The TS3 looks great and seems like it could be worth a shot based on all of the feedback about it. If I remember right, you were really high on the TS2 because of the forgiveness. Do you like the TS3 better than the TS2? And if so, then why?

Thanks again.

The TS-2 was at the top of my bag for quite a while. I had them blended with the TS-1. 

But for what ever reason I noticed a continued issue for me with the TS-2. I would hit a random and out of nowhere knuckle ball. When at the range pounding balls it will arise. Worse it would show up on course. I assume it's higher VCOG was in play along with a high on the face strike. Yet that was the only club it would happen with. So at some point I abandoned them. 

The TS3 will go under some serious testing starting the end of this week. But right off the bat the TS3 has a lot more mass down low. Feel wise across the face seems far better than the TS-2. The TS-2 is far from being a bad feeling iron. The TS3 is just in a whole other class. 

Sometime next week after pounding countless balls I'll certainly have more to post and say. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The TS-2 was at the top of my bag for quite a while. I had them blended with the TS-1. 

But for what ever reason I noticed a continued issue for me with the TS-2. I would hit a random and out of nowhere knuckle ball. When at the range pounding balls it will arise. Worse it would show up on course. I assume it's higher VCOG was in play along with a high on the face strike. Yet that was the only club it would happen with. So at some point I abandoned them. 

The TS3 will go under some serious testing starting the end of this week. But right off the bat the TS3 has a lot more mass down low. Feel wise across the face seems far better than the TS-2. The TS-2 is far from being a bad feeling iron. The TS3 is just in a whole other class. 

Sometime next week after pounding countless balls I'll certainly have more to post and say. 

As someone who whacks the toe often, the TS3 feels way better than the TS2 outside of the grooves (lol), for whatever that is worth. Time will tell if it performs as admirably as the TS2 long irons have for me over the years, though - I’ve certainly hit the front of some greens I’ve had no business being close to….

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

This one is a pretty big difference to my eye. Still may give the TS3 a sampling. I suppose I could learn to accept the footprint if the performance were there.

Keeping in mind that they are not lined up exactly at the same point in that pic, which makes the TS3 look like it has a longer blade length

Interesting with Popeye's comment on the lineage of the TS3's to the TE's.  And the subsequent mention of the mass down low (VCOG) of the TS3's.  When I tested a demo TE 7 iron for a full season a few years back, the trajectory was way to high.  As in moonshots.  And despite trying three different shafts, couldn't tame it.  Lost a full club compared with the irons that were going to be replaced (only 1* loft difference).   Unacceptable for me to go backwards in distance realized.  

Have been following along here, considering a possible replacement for the TS1's.  They've been very good irons.  But at a point where utilizing irons that are less demanding would be beneficial.  Plus, it's time to switch to LW graphite shafts (age and SS).  But that VCOG of the 3's makes me nervous.  I recalled the TE's when I first read the number.  While a single data point doesn't tell the whole story, it remains a pause for concern.  Perhaps mitigated in some measure by the stronger lofts.   A demo club would certainly have to be evaluated before proceeding with an entire set.  

FWIW.  The Max could be a suitable candidate.  But do to fitting factors, play irons +1" (36.5" PW) and 3* up at the added length.  Not sure the Max can be bent that much.  And by some reports, a PITA to do so.  

So continue to read the tea leaves here attempting to figure out a path forward.  

Edited by Fellaheen51

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

34 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Keeping in mind that they are not lined up exactly at the same point in that pic, which makes the TS3 look like it has a longer blade length

Yeah, it's the all around package (for my eye). Does make me think based on Popeye's earlier comments that if I want to experiment with a shovel-like iron, the KE4 Max may be the better choice. Merely for the price. As it sounds like performance wise, they're very similar. 

24 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Yeah, it's the all around package (for my eye). Does make me think based on Popeye's earlier comments that if I want to experiment with a shovel-like iron, the KE4 Max may be the better choice. Merely for the price. As it sounds like performance wise, they're very similar. 

What do you mean by shovel like iron?   Is that a somewhat thicker top-line and larger size, in general?

Keeping in mind that there are no truly small sized irons in the Maltby lineup.  They don't do shorter blade lengths, like a traditional Mizuno blade for example