Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Just now, Klubster said:

I do not know for certain, but I would bet that the other companies send them equipment and/or provide some other incentives.  

There is a lot of truth to this. The YouTube guys also want full sets of gear and sponsorship. 

Gilfworks could care less. They were always that way. Quite frankly they are so busy now, that I'm fairly certain they couldn't keep up if it got any busier. They are stretched so thin as it is now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spinozist said:

It's kind of funny/weird how none of the prominent youtubers review Maltby gear. They seem fine to do all the other dtc brands but not Maltby! Here we just had the launch of a gorgeous iron suitable for many players, at a competitive price point, and crickets from the youtube gallery.  

Because GW does not send it out for free.  The other aspect of this is overcoming the component stigma vs OEM.  I suspect there is little point in sending free stuff to these folks as they already have a preconceived notion, right or wrong, it's hard to overcome!  The only "component" review I can remember are the Wishon Sterlings by MC, but 🤔....and that's because there was enough of a buzz about the concept and so few options.  If the OEMs would have all had SL product out, rest assured MC would not have touched the Sterlings!

• Like 1

LOL

image.png.ddb45d6bb42cef399715bfd005453b1f.png

TS1 is 2 flat, which probably explains the slight right bias compared to the TS3 slight left bias. Spin almost identical (5600 - I usually add 700ish going from mat to grass, so I look for 5550-6200 with a 7i)

Fwiw I had 1mph more ball speed with the TS3, and I was more efficient (1.35 smash vs 1.3)

Not much in it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Therty said:

LOL

/cdn-cgi/mirage/37c7e130f02469e698fdb005b0e9026115096b444ce0d4626cba4ca7a9fa0ae5/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/37c7e130f02469e698fdb005b0e9026115096b444ce0d4626cba4ca7a9fa0ae5/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/image.png.ddb45d6bb42cef399715bfd005453b1f.png

TS1 is 2 flat, which probably explains the slight right bias compared to the TS3 slight left bias. Spin almost identical (5600 - I usually add 700ish going from mat to grass, so I look for 5550-6200 with a 7i)

Fwiw I had 1mph more ball speed with the TS3, and I was more efficient (1.35 smash vs 1.3)

Not much in it. 

I thought you were trying to pattern your shotgun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

I thought you were trying to pattern your shotgun. 

In Fact that's EXACTLY what I'm trying to do. Removing the outliers is fun, but unrealistic. The circle in the chart is the reasonable expectation, 1 sd from the mean. 

For reference, outliers removed:

image.png.2fd570823239c2c1771bc081d574fd19.png

Same pattern. Same launch angle diff. Ts-1 Spins slightly more, but it's noisy

Edited by Therty
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, games said:

I believe Ian at TXG has been asked a few times over the years during their weekly YT Q&A about Golfworks.  He's said they simply do not send stuff to them to review.

OK I guess it makes a little more sense with the bigger channels, but it's still a little weird that even the more mid-tier and lower channels don't do Maltby reviews either, especially given that heads like the TS3 and the other upcoming heads are so damn good. I mean, there are reviews out for a lot of dtc brands that sell heads only, they can't all be sending out models to the lower-tier channels. It just seems like Maltby is much harder to find youtube reviews on compared to basically anyone else out there...

32 minutes ago, Spinozist said:

OK I guess it makes a little more sense with the bigger channels, but it's still a little weird that even the more mid-tier and lower channels don't do Maltby reviews either, especially given that heads like the TS3 and the other upcoming heads are so damn good. I mean, there are reviews out for a lot of dtc brands that sell heads only, they can't all be sending out models to the lower-tier channels. It just seems like Maltby is much harder to find youtube reviews on compared to basically anyone else out there...

But, you need traffic to drive a YT review channel.  If Maltby doesn't send stuff for free, and you do a YT review, the only viewers will be Maltby enthusiasts which is not a typical golf demographic.  There is one guy doing Maltby reviews (I bought his ISO T driver), but he's really a hobbyist.  He'd been offline for a bit, I think due to health issues.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Klubster said:

I have used Golfworks for 20+ years.  If any of you are old enough to remember, they used to send out free kits to assemble a driver.  It was odds and ends-a DC'd head, shaft and grip, but everything you needed to glue up a club.  I put a couple together and hit them.  Really not bad and quality seemed up to OEM's.  Well, it lead to trying some new products and tools.  Good marketing for them.  Overcoming the stigma is the biggest hurdle.  If you are just concerned with performance over status, you can not beat them.  Right now, my bag is 100% Maltby.

My first component set was a mix of Maltby 701 and 551+ iron heads (might have been under the name CER),  and some offset driver and woods, I also believe with the 701 moniker, they were a ruby/burgundy red color.  Yes definitely CER. Still have the driver which my dad smacks around from time to time.  Pretty sure the TE Forged was in existance back then under a different name, I believe the M05.  Talk about standing the test of time!

• Like 1

I have been building Maltby stuff for over 20 years and as a Sales & Marketing guy I would love to get in there and promote their stuff, but I also admire that they just make good stuff and let it speak for itself.  Still I think they should promote completed clubs more if only on their own website......which so far I don't like very much. 

The stigma of the component club is real.  The Ke4 Tour TC 4 wood knocked various big names fairways out of my bag and everyone that tries it loves it, but no one will spend the $90-$150 to get their own.  They usually spend $100 to $150 more for the name brand and luckily for them it will have better resale value when they ditch it. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KCEE said:

I have been building Maltby stuff for over 20 years and as a Sales & Marketing guy I would love to get in there and promote their stuff, but I also admire that they just make good stuff and let it speak for itself.  Still I think they should promote completed clubs more if only on their own website......which so far I don't like very much. 

The stigma of the component club is real.  The Ke4 Tour TC 4 wood knocked various big names fairways out of my bag and everyone that tries it loves it, but no one will spend the $90-$150 to get their own.  They usually spend $100 to $150 more for the name brand and luckily for them it will have better resale value when they ditch it. 

💯 agree that in this day and age it's very impressive to not only survive but to thrive with such minimal marketing! The only way I heard about them was a search for info on some TaylorMade clubs and found a forum where Maltby stuff was also being discussed. Oh and on the topic of marketing, jeeze their pictures basically never do their heads justice. Almost every head I've ever got from them looks much better in person than in picks (I've bought like 6 or 7 at least).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, games said:

But, you need traffic to drive a YT review channel.  If Maltby doesn't send stuff for free, and you do a YT review, the only viewers will be Maltby enthusiasts which is not a typical golf demographic.  There is one guy doing Maltby reviews (I bought his ISO T driver), but he's really a hobbyist.  He'd been offline for a bit, I think due to health issues.

Yea, Fit2YouGolf is his YT channel.  He had a hip replacement.  The last review he did was Maltby Max Milled Wedge in January and he said he would be doing a KE4 Max review soon.  I guess as soon as the weather breaks where he is located.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Therty said:

In Fact that's EXACTLY what I'm trying to do. Removing the outliers is fun, but unrealistic. The circle in the chart is the reasonable expectation, 1 sd from the mean. 

For reference, outliers removed:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/b7a73eda2099c7ee054fefd6b0908c1c35c49e9d8e92c092a1a46794b72194ca/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/b7a73eda2099c7ee054fefd6b0908c1c35c49e9d8e92c092a1a46794b72194ca/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/image.png.2fd570823239c2c1771bc081d574fd19.png

Same pattern. Same launch angle diff. Ts-1 Spins slightly more, but it's noisy

How did you like the feel and overall performance of the TS3? 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

2 hours ago, KCEE said:

Do they not realize that what they lose on resale of OEM clubs will pay for a Maltby club.  I have given Maltby clubs away that I no longer use and do not feel  I have lost anything and have made some people happy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, games said:

I believe Ian at TXG has been asked a few times over the years during their weekly YT Q&A about Golfworks.  He's said they simply do not send stuff to them to review.

The Golfworks has enough experience and foresight to not get involved.   All things considered, there is little to be gained in that environment

34 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

The Golfworks has enough experience and foresight to not get involved.   All things considered, there is little to be gained in that environment

Not sure I understand what would be bad about having them test it. Obviously increased sales is a "problem" but better then not enough. We are all fans of their product but TXG is especially popular in those who are builders ans experimenters and this could only be successful. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Not sure I understand what would be bad about having them test it. Obviously increased sales is a "problem" but better then not enough. We are all fans of their product but TXG is especially popular in those who are builders ans experimenters and this could only be successful. 

30 minutes ago, pozzit said:

The issue is that an operation like TXG is not truly interested in "promoting" or bringing attention to a component company.  They won't come out and say this of course