Maltby TS2

Popeye64

23 minutes ago, Spinozist said:

...decide for now to swap in the TS1IM at the PW and GW spot late last year (winter so not much playing), and swap out the TS4s. This is mostly just to smooth out the gapping a bit; I also put in some slightly lighter shafts on the IM heads. So far so good on that front, first round of the season the gapping seemed better. To be fair it might all be down to the shafts, but I like the looks and feel of the IMs anyway but I might do some head-to-head testing down the road, and with a launch monitor. Am thinking about swapping out the 7 iron TSIM with something a little beefier in terms of MOI, and perhaps a bit lower COG in that spot. I already was using the New Level driving iron in the 6 iron spot, but am testing out an old adams idea tech head that might bump it.

I thought people go stiff shaft on wedges, not lighter?

16 minutes ago, high5golf said:

I thought people go stiff shaft on wedges, not lighter?

...since I use the PW and GW for a lot of full shots, I found the shafts I was using a bit on the heavy side in terms of total weight. They are not especially light, though, I think around 95g, plus 50g grip. The older shafts were around 105g. The 56 and 60 are still 105+ grams. (as a side note, you can get very stiff but light graphite wedge shafts, so there's not necessarily a one-to-one correlation between weight and stiffness.)

On 5/21/2024 at 11:58 AM, Gdashoff said:

Anyone have a 56 TSW DRM they've retired? I've enjoyed the 52 and want to try the 56 but now they are sold out until August.

there a seller on ebay that has 4 54* ... i think hes taking best offer $20

you can bend that 2 degree weak... 

Callaway Padadym Triple D 8* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

On 5/22/2024 at 12:14 PM, ToadFish said:

I received my order for the ts1-im. It ended up taking 12 working days to be at my doorstep. I thought that was pretty quick knowing how busy they are. 

You guys weren’t kidding about the aesthetics in person. These things are a work of art. I ended up doing a pak with custom designer ferrules, and the score shaft in R+. They did a beautiful job assembling them. 

i haven’t got a chance to hit them yet due to a work trip. I will definitely report back. Especially for the high-ish handicap guys thinking about making the jump from ultra game improvement irons since that’s where I’m coming from. 

IMG_2618.jpeg

Do you have an idea what your club speed is to help put your experience with the shaft into perspective? Also, standard LLL ?

14 minutes ago, mstuewe said:

new TC pro ist hybrids are up on golfworks.  ordered the 3.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-tc-pro-ist-hybrids/p/ma0363/

Looks really good.

• Like 1

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

16 minutes ago, groovingrover said:

As someone who has just never cared for/gotten along with hybrids can you tell me what it is about it that you like? I suppose phrased another way: what are you looking for when it comes to a hybrid that would make you prefer one over another?

Simple lines, nothing angular, square face, and medium face height.  I like the all black too. 

• Like 2

WITB

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

56 minutes ago, groovingrover said:

As someone who has just never cared for/gotten along with hybrids can you tell me what it is about it that you like? I suppose phrased another way: what are you looking for when it comes to a hybrid that would make you prefer one over another?

Until recently I didn't get along with hybrids either UNTIL I got the Maltby 21* HyWay and the Cleveland 18* HyWood.  I also needed a 5i replacement so I go a used Cleveland DST 5 hybrid from 2012.  Paid $39.  OMG that club is money.  I'm afraid to replace it but I'm always looking.  Hence the look of the IST Hybrid.  Those clubs are the most consistent in my bag now.  

19 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

Until recently I didn't get along with hybrids either UNTIL I got the Maltby 21* HyWay and the Cleveland 18* HyWood.  I also needed a 5i replacement so I go a used Cleveland DST 5 hybrid from 2012.  Paid $39.  OMG that club is money.  I'm afraid to replace it but I'm always looking.  Hence the look of the IST Hybrid.  Those clubs are the most consistent in my bag now.  

You know...if you had just said "yeah nah just like the looks of them" I could be content. I could live my life with my long irons & woods and be a happy fella. But you just HAD to talk them up and at these rates, who could pass up?! Guess bag 3 in aggregate is on it's way thanks to Maltby and GolfWRX. 😂

Thing is, I love tinkering and maltby's affordability makes it so easy...maybe too easy. Looks like it'll be fun on the courses this summer! 😅

• Like 1

I did a fitting to replace the FST 125 (cut to S flex) shafts that were bothering my arm and I had to use a Mizuno 243 head (which was great) and I settled into a Fuji Axiom 130X. On paper, that looks really stout but it didn't feel that way in the fitting. I am *slightly* concerned that the shorter hosel and different BBGM in my maltby head will make that shaft feel stiffer. Is that a possibility? 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

14 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I am *slightly* concerned that the shorter hosel and different BBGM in my maltby head will make that shaft feel stiffer. Is that a possibility? 

If it leads to a longer shaft relative to the total club length (but both clubs total lengths are the same), shouldn't that make it actually play slightly less stiff?  If the heads weigh the same, you have more mass at the end of the club and more shaft to actually flex, so it should play slightly softer. 

Years ago, I reshafted a set of Adams Idea Pros and went 1/2 over stock length longer.  I put in C-Taper 120s and liked them quite a bit.  Several years later ordered a set of Mizuno MPH-5 with C-Tapers at the same length and the did the "B" heads, which are lighter.   I clearly felt the Mizunos played stiffer with the lighter heads.....

WITB

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

22 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

shouldn't that make it actually play slightly less stiff?

That would be a better outcome. We shall see!

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

2 hours ago, vandyfan said:

I did a fitting to replace the FST 125 (cut to S flex) shafts that were bothering my arm and I had to use a Mizuno 243 head (which was great) and I settled into a Fuji Axiom 130X. On paper, that looks really stout but it didn't feel that way in the fitting. I am *slightly* concerned that the shorter hosel and different BBGM in my maltby head will make that shaft feel stiffer. Is that a possibility? 

The lower that the shaft is in the hosel the stiffer it will play.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vandyfan said:

I am *slightly* concerned that the shorter hosel and different BBGM in my maltby head will make that shaft feel stiffer. Is that a possibility? 

I would be very slightly concerned.  The lower BBGM along with a shorter hosel may offset each other.  In reality, how many of us will notice 1/4" difference in exposed shaft.  We could make nearly that much error in tipping the shafts.  All this speculation has to assume there is 0% tolerance in shaft profiles, head weight, tipping accuracy, etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike_C said:

If it leads to a longer shaft relative to the total club length (but both clubs total lengths are the same), shouldn't that make it actually play slightly less stiff?  If the heads weigh the same, you have more mass at the end of the club and more shaft to actually flex, so it should play slightly softer. 

Years ago, I reshafted a set of Adams Idea Pros and went 1/2 over stock length longer.  I put in C-Taper 120s and liked them quite a bit.  Several years later ordered a set of Mizuno MPH-5 with C-Tapers at the same length and the did the "B" heads, which are lighter.   I clearly felt the Mizunos played stiffer with the lighter heads.....

Lighter heads WILL make the shaft play stiffer.  Less mass to bend the shaft dynamically. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vandyfan said:

5 hours ago, Mike_C said:

It will play slightly stiffer.  How much depends on the difference in the BBGM of the clubs compared to each other.

Why that is...  the butt section is the stiffest part of the shaft.  The more butt section remaining in a club installation, the stiffer that club plays.  

Bore depth is largely unimportant to flex, unless you get some truly obnoxious examples like the 975D and its 3.5" - 4" hosel depth.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cameron Circle T said:

Hit the TS4's with Dart 90s in them.  These are definitely not Endo forged soft, but they have great feel.  They're also ridiculously easy to hit. I do like the choice to go with TS3 in the 4 and 5 iron—they're just a tiny bit easier to get height on.

What do you think of the shape, size, and profile comparison from the TS4 6 iron to the TS3 5 iron?

Edited by Cwebb
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

What do you think of the shape, size, and profile comparison from the TS4 6 iron to the TS3 5 iron?

It works really well. The top line is definitely thicker and the finish is different. But blade length and offset etc. blends very nicely. I’m very picky about those things and it works great. 

i have a ts4 5 iron. I’ll snap pics of all three side by side. 

Edited by Cameron Circle T
  • Like 3

Are there new wedges coming? Seems like a lot of stuff is sold out on the website, never seen that before. I'm begging them to make a max milled 64*. I have to replace my PM grind at some point and since you can't buy those anymore I'm just stuck playing a club that's way too beat up than I should be playing.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

2 hours ago, spartan6910 said:

Are there new wedges coming? Seems like a lot of stuff is sold out on the website, never seen that before. I'm begging them to make a max milled 64*. I have to replace my PM grind at some point and since you can't buy those anymore I'm just stuck playing a club that's way too beat up than I should be playing.

https://ralphmaltby.com/questions/question/2024-wedges/

Looks like late 2024/early 2025, unless there've been updates since then but just no one has asked.

• Like 1

Some quick, rambling thoughts…TE MPF 788.  KE4 Max MPF 959.  Overall the Max is more forgiving, should be quite a bit more forgiving on hits towards toe.  788 is very forgiving though.  TE should launch higher given its loft compared to the Max and lower VCOG.  TE may be shorter due to these and would expect more spin. The TE should feel better than the Max.  TE may dig depending on your swing.  The Maltby iron shafts I’ve swung (A, R, S flexes) are stiffer than most.  I usually swing an R shaft, but the Maltby A is an R and the R is an S to me. Not sure how they compare to Recoils.  I’m a 9-10 handicap, play TS1s and they are plenty forgiving at 711 MPF.  I went to TS1’s from Ping Gmax years ago.  The smaller head somehow helped me with better strikes.  I can’t explain it, but don’t underestimate how it looks to your eye and how the sole will interact.  I was fit into my TS1’s. I never would have picked TS1’s but after a few swings I was hooked.  I was a 16-18 handicap at the time.

As everyone says, it would be best to try them out or find a fitter/club builder.  Single TE and KE4 Max irons do show up on eBay so that may be an option to find a test club.

Good luck in your quest and I hope whatever you buy turns out a perfect fit.

• Like 4