2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 6/15/2024 at 2:04 PM, Cwebb said:

With your address position, are you seeing any part of the "back of cavity/sole" when looking down on the TE+ 4 iron?

For how I address the ball no, not at all.  But I imagine if someone likes to play the ball forward with some pre-shaft lean it Will probably poke out some, but not more than a sliver.

I could use some input?  Which Maltby Gap Wedge would you pair with a set of TM P770 irons?  TS1-IM or TS4?

Until I decide on building a set of TS3 or TS1-IM, I could use a Gap Wedge for my set of P770. I have a Callaway 52* wedge which works ok, but I rarely chip with a GW these days and mainly take a full swing with it....it's also getting old.  I have the 2021 P770 model and the GW is supposed to be 51*, but I could make 50 or 52 work. I tend to get steep with full wedges and prefer more bounce in a GW, but the P770 PW works well.  

I was first thinking TS1-IM bent to 50 or 51, but since I have been playing 52 forever I thought TS4 bent to 52 might be even better.  In the end it maybe doesn't matter? lol.

7 minutes ago, KCEE said:

I could use some input?  Which Maltby Gap Wedge would you pair with a set of TM P770 irons?  TS1-IM or TS4?

Until I decide on building a set of TS3 or TS1-IM, I could use a Gap Wedge for my set of P770. I have a Callaway 52* wedge which works ok, but I rarely chip with a GW these days and mainly take a full swing with it....it's also getting old.  I have the 2021 P770 model and the GW is supposed to be 51*, but I could make 50 or 52 work. I tend to get steep with full wedges and prefer more bounce in a GW, but the P770 PW works well.  

I was first thinking TS1-IM bent to 50 or 51, but since I have been playing 52 forever I thought TS4 bent to 52 might be even better.  In the end it maybe doesn't matter? lol.

I've been using the TSW 50*  it has 6* of bounce and works rather well.  I rarely take full swings with any club higher than a 9i but my 3/4 swing with the 50 is predictable, consistent with some really nice spin.  The feel of the forged wedge is like butter.  I also use it for my bump and runs as well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KCEE said:

I'd go TS4 with the loft set at 51*

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KCEE said:

Since it’s a temporary club (prior to TS3 or IM) you may also want to consider the original TS1. It’s a solid forged head in G and is quite a bit cheaper. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

I've been using the TSW 50*  it has 6* of bounce and works rather well.  I rarely take full swings with any club higher than a 9i but my 3/4 swing with the 50 is predictable, consistent with some really nice spin.  The feel of the forged wedge is like butter.  I also use it for my bump and runs as well.

I should have mentioned I built a TSW 50 and it's nice, but it doesn't have enough bounce for me or maybe the leading edge needs to be blunted.  Maybe if I bent it to 52, I would gain some bounce, but I think I would like to try something more like an iron than a wedge this time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KCEE said:

FWIW--  I have the TS-1IM, TS-3 and just played my first round yesterday with my TS-4.   I play the GW in all.    Each of the GW plays very well IMO.   I hit one of the best feeling GW from 117 yds out yesterday with the TS-4.    The best possible fit with the P770 would be the hollow filled TS-1IM.      Full swing PW of twenty years ago is really what I consider it to be!      You would certainly enjoy the TS-4 as the feel is fantastic.   The looks are over the top good!   Let us know what you choose and how it goes.

• Like 1

Very new to the Maltby irons.  Would the TS3 look and/or measure in size to say something like a ZX5 mkii iron?  I was fitted into those last August 7i-GW, (never went with the 6i because I bought a G430 6h that never stuck.  Liked the irons but kind of panicked when I shot a couple of high rounds. 

I am playing Smoke HL irons and really like the high flight but their finish is a bit poor and they have rusted on me because the cavity holds water if you clean them really well.   

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

If you call Golfworks to order irons will they bend the lofts and lies to your request?

In the custom area I went through the build process and did not see anything about loft and lie adjustments which seemed odd to me.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

PING PLD Anser 2D

2 hours ago, erock9174 said:

If you call Golfworks to order irons will they bend the lofts and lies to your request?

In the custom area I went through the build process and did not see anything about loft and lie adjustments which seemed odd to me.

Yes they will.  I suggest everyone ask to have them measure and adjust if needed, even if they want totally stock specs.  Otherwise you're at the mercy of the +-1* manufacturing tolerance, that every company has

• Like 2

Fellas - A set of TS1 IM heads landed on my doorstep the other day. My all time favourite looking irons are MP-14, MP-33, RAC TP Forged, Adam’s Idea Tour only heads - these rival any of them in the looks department - a stunning design. I am using s300 shafts pulled from a set of MP-33’s, have anyone had to use shims building IM’s with shaft pulls? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, erock9174 said:

You can call, or you can add notes at checkout for any additional customization as well. I still plan on getting mine double-checked when they arrive though. Still impatiently waiting for my TS3 set that I ordered 6/3. Thanks Gabe!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 50_in_39 said:

Fellas - A set of TS1 IM heads landed on my doorstep the other day. My all time favourite looking irons are MP-14, MP-33, RAC TP Forged, Adam’s Idea Tour only heads - these rival any of them in the looks department - a stunning design. I am using s300 shafts pulled from a set of MP-33’s, have anyone had to use shims building IM’s with shaft pulls? 

I use shims with brand new shafts.  There was just too much play for my liking even with the "universal" hosel.  I'm overly cautious, perhaps.  But it worked well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kyfra said:

Patiently awaiting a set of TS3s to compete with my beloved KE4 Max.

but not all that patiently

13 hours ago, Tywithay84 said:

You can call, or you can add notes at checkout for any additional customization as well. I still plan on getting mine double-checked when they arrive though. Still impatiently waiting for my TS3 set that I ordered 6/3. Thanks Gabe!

Still waiting on my KE4 Pro IST 3W I ordered on 6/4

Bro!  All they have to do is epoxy the adapter onto the shaft, add grip and screw it on the clubhead!  Been 14 days since ordered and still "Awaiting Shipment".  

15 hours ago, Cwebb said:

Yes they will.  I suggest everyone ask to have them measure and adjust if needed, even if they want totally stock specs.  Otherwise you're at the mercy of the +-1* manufacturing tolerance, that every company has

Thanks.  also, I went through the build page and a shaft I wanted was not listed (they had the Elevate 95 and I want the Elevate 85).  I see they sell it on the golfworks site but if I call will they install that shaft instead?

PING PLD Anser 2D

On 5/31/2024 at 11:07 AM, vandyfan said:

I think my man here likes a lower VCOG. A glowing review and will hopefully shift some demand to the TS3. 

he plays a push hook with pretty much every club and seems to sweep the ball.  I have a very similar swing and usually irons with a lower VCOG work well for me.  Right now playing Smoke HL irons and they are the highest launching irons I have ever hit.  I just don't care for their badging, etc (kind of busy looking to me) and so the TS3's have my interest.  I just worry about their head size being too small.  I still prefer a bit of girth down by the ball and not a blade.  

PING PLD Anser 2D

1 hour ago, wantacigar said:

Bro!  All they have to do is epoxy the adapter onto the shaft, add grip and screw it on the clubhead!  Been 14 days since ordered and still "Awaiting Shipment".  

you should call to be sure everything is in stock.

19 hours ago, KCEE said:

I should have mentioned I built a TSW 50 and it's nice, but it doesn't have enough bounce for me or maybe the leading edge needs to be blunted.  Maybe if I bent it to 52, I would gain some bounce, but I think I would like to try something more like an iron than a wedge this time.

I did this with a 54 TSW, softened leading edge.  I liked the club but it might dig from fairway. I don’t know if it’s just in my head or not, but I’m not afraid of a little going after it now.  Much more comfortable with a 3/4 to full swing from fairway now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Call them and see how much longer they expect it to be.  I don’t mind epoxying it up for you if they aren’t going to have it done in the next couple of days.  Just have them send the parts.

• Like 1

So I currently have the KE4 Max but have been improving my game and am thinking about getting the TS4.  Other than the forgiveness on the toe with the significantly longer CDIM, the specs in the MPF Ratings would seem to say that the TS4 bent 1 degree weak will be about the same as the KE4 Max adjusted for one club up.  So a KE4 Max 8-iron should be roughly similar spin/distance wise to a TS4 7-iron, assuming you get the shaft/headweight/swingweight comparable.  See specs below. Am I totally off base, particularly if my miss is not out on the toe? I'll probably just order a single club and test since I know that's the right answer, but couldn't help myself asking for thoughts.

TS4 7-iron: 271g headweight (upper end of tolerance); .761 VCOG; 34* loft (1* weak); sole width = .765

KE4 Max 8-iron: 271g headweight (lower end tolerance); .758 VCOG; 34* loft; sole width = .780

3 hours ago, erock9174 said:

Thanks.  also, I went through the build page and a shaft I wanted was not listed (they had the Elevate 95 and I want the Elevate 85).  I see they sell it on the golfworks site but if I call will they install that shaft instead?

If they carry it, I don't see any reason they wouldn't build you a club or set with it.  I would be very surprised if they wouldn't.  Yeah, just call or email them.

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I have avoided Maltby wedges for the past several years.  But I think the DRT 54-S DBM finish would be just what I'm looking for.  Problem is, I need it now!  My current 54 has too much bounce for my conditions.

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Hi everyone, 

I was curious if anyone could provide insight into the core differences between the TS1-IM, TS4, and the TS3 iron offerings. I see they have different COG's and MPF's, but what do those figures translate to in the real world for a golfer shooting in the 90's, but am progressing quickly?

For example, I saw a Reddit post making claims that each one is more tailored to the location in which you typically strike the ball. One is better if you catch them high vs low on the face. Is there any truth to that? Also sounds like the Ts1-im is a hollow body, ts3 is a cavity, and ts4 is a muscle back, which normally would give me pause, but I've read they're all forgiving despite being different.

As an average golfer, am I going to realistically notice a difference between these 3 models? If so, do you mind providing a little bit of insight into the reasoning in how you typically steer golfers towards a particular model once the overall club genre is established (in this case, I'm looking for game improvements)?

Happy to provide additional data about my swing tendencies, my misses, video, etc if that would help.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, taki27 said:

Call them and see how much longer they expect it to be.  I don’t mind epoxying it up for you if they aren’t going to have it done in the next couple of days.  Just have them send the parts.

Thanks for the offer!  I called last week and the girl on the other end said they are backlogged 10-15 business days.  I called on 6/13 I believe and they said they just started on orders "PRINTED" on 5/31.  I made the order on 6/4 and it "printed" on 6/7.  Should be shipped either this week or early next week.