Early recruiting leading to early specialization - what to do?

Bubba Watson says he’s never taken a lesson. Meanwhile most other pros have at least two instructor/coaches, plus a mental coach. Anecdotal evidence can’t be applied to the general population.

I’m not arguing that kids should specialize. I just don’t know if you can apply the multi sport history of pros as cause and effect. Do they succeed in their chosen sport because they delayed specialization? Or do they become professional athletes because they just love competing in sports, with the young athletes exploring different sports just to chase that high year-round? If it’s the latter, then professional athletes will self-select to a population of people who played multiple sports growing up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have multiple kids (as in 10+) in 2019 class who are currently being recruited. To say they were done recruiting 3-4 years ago isn’t factually accurate. Plenty of top 2019 kids haven’t even verbally committed yet. I haven’t had a single player commit before their 10th grade year, including multiple who are top 30 in their class and at top 25 programs on scholarship. I have had multiple 2018 grads that only got offers in late October last year and one in January, including kids top 500 in JGS. The only kids getting recruited at 15 are ridiculously good.

My point:The experience of people who came up 10 years ago is perhaps not as relevant with the current group of kids growing up. On one hand we tell kids to hold off on specialization, then the other hand tell them that if they haven't reached a certain level of capabilities by 16, their chances of D1 golf are small. That's about a two-year window to develop. As competitive as junior golf is, that's difficult to reconcile.

I think this sums up what I was getting at in my OP

Whether the recruiting *finalizes* Fr/So or Jr year, there isn't much time to develop your game to showcase to coaches when it really matters if you are only starting to specialize after 13yo, especially in areas where golf is not played year-round.

Serious question(s):

Is it fair to assume that the 12yo boys who are competing at US Kids Worlds are probably there because there is some degree of "early specialization" going on? E.g. in order to be able to score well enough to win season-long US Kids tours (and gain entry into Worlds), you have probably been focusing on chipping, putting and full shot consistency over big motor skills and "overall athletic development" which is what is presumably being developed (and touted) among multi-sport athletes?

HH's stats have established that a high % of 12yo boys participating at Worlds go on to play college golf.

Therefore, is that early specialization (the byproduct of which is entry to US Kids Worlds) what ultimately allows juniors to play at the college level?

It seems to go along with the hypothesis of this thread initially, that colleges recruiting earlier forces kids to demonstrate very high skill levels earlier, which leads to earlier specialization.

If this is the case, then early specialization may be detrimental to overall "long-term" athletic development (think professional tour pros) but may be somewhat necessary if the goal is to ensure playing at the college level.

I can’t speak to Boys 12 or to everyone in the field. My 10 year old just finished competing for the second year in a row. My son plays baseball, basketball and football. Also plays a sick brand of playground soccer. I’d say roughly a third of the parents we’ve crossed over the last two years have kids playing multiple sports (although not many baseballs). The only kid from our hometown in the 12’s also plays multiple sports.

Also, I’m happy to know that with our T60 finish Heavy Hitter has guaranteed us a 72% chance of college golf

My point:The experience of people who came up 10 years ago is perhaps not as relevant with the current group of kids growing up. On one hand we tell kids to hold off on specialization, then the other hand tell them that if they haven't reached a certain level of capabilities by 16, their chances of D1 golf are small. That's about a two-year window to develop. As competitive as junior golf is, that's difficult to reconcile.

I think this sums up what I was getting at in my OP

Whether the recruiting *finalizes* Fr/So or Jr year, there isn't much time to develop your game to showcase to coaches when it really matters if you are only starting to specialize after 13yo, especially in areas where golf is not played year-round.

There actually is. If you develop, you’ll be found. We host a big Junior event and, in February of this year, there were no less than a dozen college coaches there—including SEC coaches—looking for 2019’s. A handful were still looking for 2018’s

I think at some level kids need to pick up a club sooner then later. I don't think it really matters in the end because some kids practice more or it just comes easier. As a parent you can over analyze everything.

If the first time you pick up a club is as a freshman or sophomore in high school your odds go way down in getting a D1 scholarship. But that should be common sense. The amazing part is even then I am sure there are some examples of kids who actually get a full ride and didn't touch a club until there 15 or 16.

I have come to the conclusion is at the end of the day a kid needs to do well when there between 16-18 to get a scholarship period. As a parent all I can do is hope they practice and one day it all clicks for them that score low enough in tournaments that we don't have to fight for a scholarship when it matters.

I think at some level kids need to pick up a club sooner then later. I don't think it really matters in the end because some kids practice more or it just comes easier. As a parent you can over analyze everything.

If the first time you pick up a club is as a freshman or sophomore in high school your odds go way down in getting a D1 scholarship. But that should be common sense. The amazing part is even then I am sure there are some examples of kids who actually get a full ride and didn't touch a club until there 15 or 16.

I have come to the conclusion is at the end of the day a kid needs to do well when there between 16-18 to get a scholarship period. As a parent all I can do is hope they practice and one day it all clicks for them that score low enough in tournaments that we don't have to fight for a scholarship when it matters.

Playing DI golf is not the ultimate goal. The right school with a great education should be the goal. If your goal is college scholarship, save your money. What you are going to end up spending to get there will pay for four years at a state university. In Florida if you get bright futures, it will cost about $13,000 a year to go to a state DI University. That is $52,000 for schooling which is peanuts. You will spend close to that in golf trying to earn that scholarship. Invest in Academics.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Playing DI golf is not the ultimate goal. The right school with a great education should be the goal. If your goal is college scholarship, save your money. What you are going to end up spending to get there will pay for four years at a state university. In Florida if you get bright futures, it will cost about $13,000 a year to go to a state DI University. That is $52,000 for schooling which is peanuts. You will spend close to that in golf trying to earn that scholarship. Invest in Academics.

I was talking with the dad of a kid who is leaving next week to be a freshman on the golf team at Ole Miss. He tallied up his 2017 golf costs--all of them. It was in excess of $31,000. Junior golf for a college scholarship is not an investment with a positive ROI. Hell, with my 10-year old, we're spending in excess of $10K.

I was talking with the dad of a kid who is leaving next week to be a freshman on the golf team at Ole Miss. He tallied up his 2017 golf costs--all of them. It was in excess of $31,000. Junior golf for a college scholarship is not an investment with a positive ROI. Hell, with my 10-year old, we're spending in excess of $10K.

For me I couldn't care less about the ROI on golf for a scholarship. Financially it is not needed for my kids. Some people spend money on Boats or Their kids or maybe buy there kids horses or whatever. I spend money on golf like a lot people I know.

I only look at the college aspect because it's an achievable goal and perhaps opens doors to them that will help them later in life. Some schools really look after there athletes after they graduate. I can also tell you that if other doors opened up and it meant no college I am ok with that too. Plenty of people I know do very well and never went to college.

Holy hell man... I'm not judging whatsoever but got me wondering if you were to throw enough money at it would it pay off eventually?

For me I couldn't care less about the ROI on golf for a scholarship. Financially it is not needed for my kids. Some people spend money on Boats or Their kids or maybe buy there kids horses or whatever. I spend money on golf like a lot people I know.

I only look at the college aspect because it's an achievable goal and perhaps opens doors to them that will help them later in life. Some schools really look after there athletes after they graduate. I can also tell you that if other doors opened up and it meant no college I am ok with that too. Plenty of people I know do very well and never went to college.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Wife went to a big Pac12 school (definitely not for sports) and the 'brotherhood', as I like to call it, has definitely looked after her and our family.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I don’t even want to know what I’ve spent, somethings are better left unknown. Now I have to to look. Damn

This is a lot of $ to spend on a 10yo's golf

How is this possible in MS?

Membership to Private Club

Local Tours

Regional Tours

State Tours

World Tour

It is easy. I agree though, a lot of money for a 10 yo.

Membership to Private Club

Local Tours

Regional Tours

State Tours

World Tour

It is easy. I agree though, a lot of money for a 10 yo.

I guess it makes sense if you allocate 100% of private club membership

If that's the case, I'm sure some on this forum are spending $40-50k easily

Start adding up cost of:

Equipment - clubs, balls, gloves, clothes, shoes, hats

Instruction - individual lessons, group clinics, training tools

Tournaments - entry fees, practice round fees, spectator carts

Travel - airfare, gasoline, hotels, meals, etc.

Start adding it up

Start adding up cost of:

Equipment - clubs, balls, gloves, clothes, shoes, hats

Instruction - individual lessons, group clinics, training tools

Tournaments - entry fees, practice round fees, spectator carts

Travel - airfare, gasoline, hotels, meals, etc.

Start adding it up

The big question is what would you spending if you weren't doing golf. I know for me we were easily spend 50-60k on entertainment before golf as a family and that was probably a low figure too. We actually save money now because we enjoy the club and play golf instead. A lot people actually spend more then that. It's pretty easy if you have a 2 income family making decent money on just entertainment.

Before we did tournaments we would also do Disney at least once a year and that is not cheap makes going to US kids world look like a bargain. We also were not the biggest spenders either there. So yes you might spend 20-30k a year on golf easily but your also not doing other stuff. So to me I am actually saving money.

I know you can spend less but honestly anything you do with kids and family adds up quickly.

While the ROI discussion is probably correct ($'s spent on development vs payoff in terms of scholarship or tournament winnings), it seems to ignore the value in being great at something as well as other intangible benefits

There are corporate executives who would pay very large sums of $ to instantaneously become a great golfer; additionally, the life lessons and values that juniors learn while playing and practicing, along with the fact that it is a sport and activity they can enjoy for the rest of their lives, makes the investment in junior golf a great value IMVHO

So you are saying I will never again have a new set of clubs for myself. Maybe I could use this number to convince the wife that I need to invest in some tools and start working on clubs myself.

That will be cheaper in the long run, right? :)

What I am hearing is not to let my wife read this forum.

yeah this isn't a place for a wife to read or then we would all have ex-wifes.

If Mrs. HH were here she would be more direct than I am.

So you are saying I will never again have a new set of clubs for myself. Maybe I could use this number to convince the wife that I need to invest in some tools and start working on clubs myself.

That will be cheaper in the long run, right? :)

My driver face cracked in May, so I got a new driver. It's the first new golf equipment that I've gotten for myself since my son got into the game. So, maybe there's also a reallocation of resources going on too...

In our house I'm in charge of the boy's golf but the wife is in charge of the girl's gymnastics. My wife is the level headed one. She thinks we're all idiots... especially me.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

You aren't married to TigerMom are you?

Oh, H-e-L-l naw!!

Unfortunately I don't agree with you that only 8% of kids who qualified for world championships as an 11yo would play golf at the collegiate level (I'm sure it can even be proven statistically using past available results)

You are probably correct. NCAA says that 8% of High School Girls and 7% of High School Boys will play collegiality. If I had to guess the kids that go to the World Championships will be somewhere in the 10%-20% range. Still not good odds.

Of the top 25 kids from the US in the 2010 Pinehurst World Championships for 11yo, 19 of them (76%) are playing in college in America (almost all for D1)

I would guess the % is closer to 50% for the entire field (I don't have time to look up every name), if you count kids who are trying to make it professionally or playing in college or on mini tours internationally

Color me being amazed. I am actually wrong and couldn't be more ecstatic about it. I think it is a wonderful thing. I didn't have time on my hand, but made time for a little research. Took me about 1 hour and a half.

2010 12 Year Old Boy's Division at US Kids World Championships

113 out of the 149 Participants went on to play collegiate golf. A little skewed because 2 of the foreign players are on the Euro tour. Didn't count them for playing collegiality. That is a staggering 76% of the kids playing.

I broke it down into groups as well.

Top 25 18/26 kids 69% This probably amazed me the most because the top 25 had the worst percentage of kids playing at the college level.

27-50 21/24 kids 88% kids in this group playing major college D1 golf

51-75 18-25 kids 72% several kids in this group still playing D1 golf

76-100 20/25 kids 80% kids still playing major college D1 golf at places like LSU and Bama

101-148 36/49 kids 73% one playing at Southern Cal

I was going to stop at 50, but was so amazed I kept going. Was then going to stop at 100 and decided to skip lunch and do more research.

I wrote down and have on a list every kid that I couldn't find that made it to the next level. Probably close to half were from foreign countries.

I found this to be very cool.

I went back and looked at it for 2009 and 2008 for 10-year olds and found similar numbers. 72% of all Americans playing in Worlds are playing college golf. And, like you, I didn't find a huge correlation between the top of the field and the bottom. Although, the bottom of the field for 2008 was only about a 50% rate with a higher occasion of small college golf. Like you, I found the highest percentages in the kids finishing 25-75th in the field. Yay for my boy's T60 finish :taunt:

I wonder what percentage of kids who are in it at younger ages, say 7, are still in it at 12. Researching the historical results would be too painful, but for those of you who went up through the USKG circus from 6 or 7 up through 13, what would be your guess?

In the threee years we’ve done it already seen a lot of kids come and go, but the fields seem to get bigger with every age group you go up.

I wonder what percentage of kids who are in it at younger ages, say 7, are still in it at 12. Researching the historical results would be too painful, but for those of you who went up through the USKG circus from 6 or 7 up through 13, what would be your guess?

In the threee years we’ve done it already seen a lot of kids come and go, but the fields seem to get bigger with every age group you go up.