2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Muirfield - How enjoyable?

We have an opportunity to play Muirfield through the Greywalls - is this worth it if cost isn't a concern? Would have to change a couple of other things around and sacrifice most likely the New Course. Already playing Old, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Turnberry, Western Gailes, North Berwick.

I know a main attraction at Muirfield is supposed to be the lunch and afternoon foursomes. Does missing out on that make it not worth it? Is the course itself a must see and enjoyable? I know its top 10 in the world but some of the reviews seem less than stellar and a lot of the good ones are more about the lunch experience. But the pictures make it look pretty interesting IMO.

Enjoying the course is our number 1 concern. Don't want to be miserable. All of us our between 5-12 handicaps.

its one of the greatest tests of golf that I have played. Great design with the outer loop and inner loop. Played it on two trips over there and it has kicked my butt both times. I cant wait to get back over there and play it again!

The first time I played, we did the fourball in the morning, lunch and then the alternate shot and it was fun. The second time we played we played, skipped lunch and went to North Berwick for the afternoon round....that was a great day!

We did the play/lunch/4somes combo.

Play: really enjoyed the course

Lunch: it was a roast, I've had one before, and probably a better one.

4somes: I'm not a 36 hole guy, I'd had enough by the end.

If I went back to Scotland I probably wouldn't play, similar to Pebble...….still has to be done once.

I presume its still visitors on one day, must admit it felt like a bit of a "sausage factory", squeeze the most money out the punters, make sure they don't do anything wrong and then get them off the property

you don't have to pay for the 2nd 18, i don't think ... don't have to stay for the lunch ... have never heard that the lunch is all that great, far as lunches go, but i guess it's neat to sit down and eat with the members and then play alternating shots ... every review i've read of the course finds it to be an outstanding test of golf ... if i remember what i've read correctly, it's essentially 6 3-hole courses, with each set of 3 rotating clockwise or counterclockwise to force adaptation to every wind direction, every 3 holes ... very few, if any, hidden trouble spots ... etc ... jack named his village/course after it since he won there, so that, i assume, speaks to its significance ... and it costs considerably less than pebble beach ... the cost is about $300 for a round ...

if you have the chance to play the course via a hotel, then you should play it ...

you don't have to pay for the 2nd 18, i don't think ... don't have to stay for the lunch ... have never heard that the lunch is all that great, far as lunches go, but i guess it's neat to sit down and eat with the members and then play alternating shots ... every review i've read of the course finds it to be an outstanding test of golf ... if i remember what i've read correctly, it's essentially 6 3-hole courses, with each set of 3 rotating clockwise or counterclockwise to force adaptation to every wind direction, every 3 holes ... very few, if any, hidden trouble spots ... etc ... jack named his village/course after it since he won there, so that, i assume, speaks to its significance ... and it costs considerably less than pebble beach ... the cost is about $300 for a round ...

if you have the chance to play the course via a hotel, then you should play it ...

You do have to pay for the 2nd round. The second round is at a big discount (I think 75 GBP vs. ~250 for the morning), but it's not free. Lunch is also not free.

You're not likely to have lunch with the members, as they tend to avoid playing on the Tuesday/Thursday "visitor" days. To a comment above, I understand the "sausage factory" feeling - they are definitely trying to jam visitors through on those two days.

But it's still an experience that should be had. And the course is, IMHO, the best course in Scotland. The Old Course is special. Dornoch is special. But Muirfield, to me, is as close to perfect as I've ever played.

You do have to pay for the 2nd round. The second round is at a big discount (I think 75 GBP vs. ~250 for the morning), but it's not free. Lunch is also not free.

You're not likely to have lunch with the members, as they tend to avoid playing on the Tuesday/Thursday "visitor" days. To a comment above, I understand the "sausage factory" feeling - they are definitely trying to jam visitors through on those two days.

But it's still an experience that should be had. And the course is, IMHO, the best course in Scotland. The Old Course is special. Dornoch is special. But Muirfield, to me, is as close to perfect as I've ever played.

Is the "perfection" something someone on their first trip to the UK will appreciate? Or do you need to be a links connoisseur to really appreciate it?

Is the "perfection" something someone on their first trip to the UK will appreciate? Or do you need to be a links connoisseur to really appreciate it?

In my opinion, it will be the second most memorable experience of your trip.

There's no replacing the Old Course; St. Andrews is sort of golf disney land and will almost certainly be the highlight of the trip. But Muirfield is also a tremendous experience (and Greywalls is pretty cool in its own right).

I don't think you need to be a links "connoisseur" to appreciate Muirfield; on the contrary, in many ways it's a perfect introduction to what links golf can be. It has a legitimate argument that it is the best golf course in the world; do you really want to miss that?

my biggest disappointment in 2012 was getting there and not playing due to high winds

We had fun for an hour chatting up some members and having a much needed scotch by the first tee

Don't worry about Carnoustie the day before. It's hard - but manageable off the right tee decks

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I got to play the hallowed turf many moons ago on a dull but mild October day after sending in an email enquiry. We were given a date on a Tuesday i think.....which was visitors day back then. Literally 4 groups out the whole Morning. The starter said they were busy :-)

Stuffy, lots of looking down snouts at us i felt; from members up their own backsides. And of course if you're a Lady or a dog you don't have access to certain places or aren't allowed to walk past the clubhouse windows / have to apply to a different set of rules. (At least it was 'back then').

I personally didn't find the course inspiring. Was it a tough test. Of course. Did my juices flow. No.

Dinner afterwards ? The most devine Roast Beef i've ever tasted.......

ENJOY if you make it.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

i meant you don't have to play the 2nd round (and thus pay for it) ...

to the op ... your handicaps won't matter there, imo ... i've not played it, but have a tee time next summer ... from what i've been personally told, a 5-12 is more than capable of enjoying the course, if you have the right attitude to enjoy the course ...

Thank you for all the replies.

We would be playing Carnoustie the day before and it would be toward the end of our trip. I'm kind of worried it'll be too much difficult golf if you know what I mean. We are all 5-12 handicappers

the difficulty of a links course over there is randomly dependent on the weather, which can be much more extreme than over here ... i've been three times, and you can have no wind, some wind, a lot of wind, and a LOT of wind ... totally different courses in all 4 conditions ... if you play your game, you'll be fine ...

Play it. The new course is great in my opinion, but Muirfield is a unique experience you won’t otherwise have. Stay for lunch, enjoy the history, sit in the smoking room, have a kümmel, play foursomes in the afternoon. If you are hesitating on it and still have the day, a sneaky second choice near there is Dunbar. Fun track.

Play it. The new course is great in my opinion, but Muirfield is a unique experience you won’t otherwise have. Stay for lunch, enjoy the history, sit in the smoking room, have a kümmel, play foursomes in the afternoon. If you are hesitating on it and still have the day, a sneaky second choice near there is Dunbar. Fun track.

I think we'd be giving up a second round at Kingsbarns as well. So New Course/Second round at Kingsbarns vs Muirfield (hopefully 2 rounds).

I know I can't go wrong with either choice but still tough.

We aren't well traveled golfers. This is first international trip and we've never been to Bandon or the other top public resorts in US. So I want it to be as enjoyable as possible, with the right balance of history/culture and fun golf. Other courses we are playing are Turnberry, Western Gailes, Carnoustie, Old Course, and North Berwick if that means anything.

not to be patronizing, but if the the option is new course and 2nd round at kb vs muirfield, that's an easy decision to make ... muirfield is a consensus top 15 world course, and is not considered over-rated by anyone ...

I agree with this. If this is your first trip you are covering a lot of ground and playing some good courses. I’d easily give up those two for Muirfield and a stay at greywalls though. That’s a experience. Sounds like you’d probably do the day before or day after North Berwick, as those places are about five minutes apart. That’s two pretty magical days if you are a golfer.

My view of Muirfield it is the best course in the world I have played.

Shot values are off the chart, you can see exactly what you are supposed to do, there are maybe two blind shots on the course, 11 tee and a second shot on the wall hole on the front I am blanking on the number, but that blind shot is only based on tee shot position.

As a reference, I think I have played 13 of the top 20 courses in the US.

I did not find the club stuffy at all, they have some rules as does almost any private club. the lunch caps the experience but I would play the course and not eat lunch the next 10 times and not think a thing of it.

I would also fly to Scotland just to play it. I am pretty sure if you ask most professionals, they will tell you it is the best test of golf on the open rota, not the hardest the fairest and best.

Carnoustie is much more difficult than Muirfield, it also depends on conditions. But I found nothing at Muirfield to be too much to handle.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

not to be patronizing, but if the the option is new course and 2nd round at kb vs muirfield, that's an easy decision to make ... muirfield is a consensus top 15 world course, and is not considered over-rated by anyone ...

No worries. Seems like the answer is obvious.

I would disagree with the last part though. The reviews on here seem to be much better for Muirfield than on top100golfcourses.com or threads on golfclubatlas, where a lot of people seem to call it overrated and uninteresting.

Let me get this straight. You have a chance to play Muirfield and you're having second thoughts? Here's your choice. For the rest of your life you can say,"Yeah, we played Muirfield. Fantastic course, even though it kicked our butts." Or,"Yeah, we had a chance to play Muirfield but we passed because we thought we might be too tired from our previous rounds."

• Haha 1

No worries. Seems like the answer is obvious.

I would disagree with the last part though. The reviews on here seem to be much better for Muirfield than on top100golfcourses.com or threads on golfclubatlas, where a lot of people seem to call it overrated and uninteresting.

really? .. hmm .. on top100, 16/20 reviews are 5 balls or higher ...

you'll have fun whatever you choose, though ...

• 3 weeks later...