Home Simulators Lets Talk About Them!

clevited

Alright boys, I'm about to pull the trigger on a used Skytrak. Considering it's a lot of cash, I'd like to do my due diligence before sending a random person on the internet $2k. Do these things break? What questions should be asked and what should I be aware of when purchasing?

A brand new one is $1700. Does the 2 grand come with a simulator subscription or screen or something?

A brand new one is 2 grand. https://shop.skytrak...s-packages.aspx

Don't know where everyone keeps getting the 17 number? It comes with an impact screen and fittings for pipe.

and its 1800. Rounded up to 2k for exaggeration purposes.

Gotcha. I wonder if they were on sale at one point for 1700 but are now back up to normal price. The fact that it comes with a screen is nice because those aren't necessarily cheap themselves.

I plan on making a purchase later this year and am on the fence between going with a new or used one. I hope it works out for ya. I know there are other people here who have bought used.

They have a coupon for $300 off a few times a year.

I saw one place where it said it was active through tomorrow but I tried and it said it was expired.

SKYTRAK300

Or it looks like they currently have certified pre-owned for $1700.

That's what I bought and it has been fine.

No problems or complaints with your pre owned? Maybe I'll just do that. I wonder where they get them.

Worldwide Golf Shops has the SkyTrak on sale right now for $1700. I don't have a SkyTrak anymore (GC2 now) but still keep read up on them and there seems to be a handful of people having issues with the laser curtain failing which requires the unit be sent in for repair.

Wow, will most likely go this route as I'm guessing thats brand new.

I've been wanting a Skytrak, or comparable simulator for 2-3 years now and am amazed the price hasn't changed in 3+ years since this model came out. $1700-2000 for the same thing right now as 3 years ago for an electronic. I honestly haven't bought one for that very reason.

I doubt they will go down, that is a very reasonable price for this kind of technology. If anything, it was nice of them to start it out at that price point.

I've been wanting a Skytrak, or comparable simulator for 2-3 years now and am amazed the price hasn't changed in 3+ years since this model came out. $1700-2000 for the same thing right now as 3 years ago for an electronic. I honestly haven't bought one for that very reason.

I doubt they will go down, that is a very reasonable price for this kind of technology. If anything, it was nice of them to start it out at that price point.

I could see some thinking it's a good price, especially if you use it a lot. How much do spend a year on real golf? I think it's perspective. If you spend $10k a year on membership somewhere, $2k seems fair, but if you spend under $1k a year, it seems pricy.

Worldwide Golf Shops has the SkyTrak on sale right now for $1700. I don't have a SkyTrak anymore (GC2 now) but still keep read up on them and there seems to be a handful of people having issues with the laser curtain failing which requires the unit be sent in for repair.

Me, too. Would it be correct to assume that the “play and improve” package is a one time cost, or is there a yearly subscription fee? It seems the former, but I may be missing some fine print.

Me, too. Would it be correct to assume that the “play and improve” package is a one time cost, or is there a yearly subscription fee? It seems the former, but I may be missing some fine print.

I think I'm just going to buy the simulator and then figure the rest out from there. I was just told the sale wasnt supposed to alst this long though so if you're going to do it I'd jump on it.

I think I'm just going to buy the simulator and then figure the rest out from there. I was just told the sale wasnt supposed to alst this long though so if you're going to do it I'd jump on it.

Thanks for the tip — over the edge as it were. Should help the rest of winter pass a little quicker.

Thought id post an actual DIY project that I just completed about 2 weeks ago. Through all my days worth of research prior to beginning this project I found that no one would list out their exact room dimensions and only a few would get get really specific with their build out details. Well I'm about to provide both and hopefully you find this more informative than boring!

Simulator Area Dimensions: 128 inch width x 180 length x 144 height

Once i measured this, i knew it was slightly larger than the minimum requirements but i highly suggest swinging a lot in that space and go 120% all out on a bunch of swings before you deem it playable, because everyone starts off with an indoor swing and sometimes too cramped of an area, especailly too low of a ceiling, although meeting the minimum just wont be worth it.

What I Bought:

Skytrak + Metal Case + Game Improvement plan

Homecourse Retractrable Impact Screen w/ Wall Mount

NetReturn Pro Golf Mat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^these all came in a bundle that i bought together on sale

Optoma EH200ST Projector

DivotAction 12x24 inch Insert

24x24 inch 1/2 inch thick Gym Mat Interlocking Flooring Packages from Home Depot (6X)

9x12 ft Artificial Grass from Home Depot

Projector Mounting Bracket w/ 8-20 inch extension rod

15 ft Extension Cable

25 ft HDMI Cable

Apple Lighting Adapter

Apple iPad

The items you probably dont see too often in other reviews are the Homecourse retractable screen and the Divot Action. The retractable screen was a must for me. I live in an apartment and didnt want to compromise all of the space, even though i wanted to make it look like it was a golf course, the space still can be used to do other things. The divot action was what i chose after reading extensively into all the different mat options. Since i was getting the netreturn pro mat in the bundle, i knew that because id be hitting a lot of balls every day/week, that i didnt want to develop any injuries that some of you have probably read up on if youve gotten deep into this. I had owned an optishot2 prior (thing sucks imo) and the mat i had i would use to practice swing on all the time just when i was bored and eventually i could feel my elbow hurting a bit and im still young at 28, so i knew that choosing the right mat was imperative. After a lot of research i came down to two or three options, the fiberbuilt, truestrike and the divot action. CCE was immediately thrown out because that one will for sure give you tendinitis if you play consistently. After going through the options really only the divot action appealed to me as it had the best insert options and good reviews from those who used it for long periods of time. Through 2 weeks of use, ill say that the screen is holding up well, its only flaw being that its hard to retain tension so the picture is wavy buti dont really care because i spend 95% of my time in the skills assessment mode on skytrak app. As for the divot action, i couldnt be happier with it. I know that its a very simple product and after examining it i could easily replace it myself, which ill do if it begins to breakdown, but paying the 100 bucks to understand the concept behind it was well worth it. The insert gives just like an average to softish fairway would and could easily be altered to be more firm.

My first step in the building process was laying the floor. I placed the 1/2 inch gym flooring down throughout the whole area and then placed the artificial grass on top. Then i folded back the artificial grass and put the netreturn mat down and made it flush with the back edge of the gym flooring. Using a heavy duty box cutting knife and switching out the blades every couple feet, i cut along the net return mat edge and eventually got it to lay flush. Next i secured the gym flooring to the wood flooring with a half dozen heavy duty velcro strips. Once everything but the divot action was finalized on the flooring aspect, i then mounted the screen and projector. The screen was a real btch to do, it had to sit 8 ft 6 inch off the ground and 18 inches from the wall, which in my case was a window so i was extra concerned with that figure. Unfortunately due to the necessary hanging dimensions i was stuck with wall mounting the homecourse.........into brick. yay. This was the part I stressed over the most with the homecourse being 80 pounds, thinking I needed to be exact, when really the wall mounts allow for a little adjustment so you just need to be level technically, not pinpoint accurate, just accurate. After an hour of drilling holes and fastening the mounts, finally the screen went up, stayed up and hasnt shown any issues of strain. After that, i was basically in the home stretch. I mounted the optoma EH200ST, which if any of you need a ultra short throw projector (i mounted mine 42 inches from the screen and 30 inches above it) then i highly suggest this one. I spent days researching and always came back to this one, its not super cheap but also doesnt break the bank like some of the others youll see, at 800 id say its well worth it as it has multiple aspect ratios, keystone, zoom, and a whole advanced menu of other more granular options. The final part of the installation was squaring up the screen with the divot action, which was a little tricky given my building is super old and not straight at all anywhere. The divot action is 1.25 inches thick, which was important to know when buying the gym flooring because the netreturn mat was 3/4 inch thick, so i knew i needed 1/2 inch thick gym flooring to make sure it lined up flush.

After probably a month of planning and budgeting and replanning and rebudgeting, i pulled the trigger on the bundled purchase on Jan 2, received all the pieces about a week or two later and then spent basically and entire day and a half assembling everything. Its been approximately two weeks since i finshed and ive probably hit about 2k balls to date. Originally i had planned to get a desktop and buy TGC as well but after mulling over the cost of those two more components, i figured id give just the skytrak game improvement a try for a few weeks to see how that was. Turns out i really love the skills assessment mode. Ive set up certain ranges with 5 yard increments and have already begun to see progress in dialing in dispersions. At the end of the day, i ended up spending about $5200 to get this set up, which is what i would say is average all in for most setups you see. The desktop and TGC wouldve been another 2-2.5k, so maybe ill add it next year or something but for now this fits all the needs...........especially when its snowing and freezing out like today!

• Like 1

Excellent write-up...thanks. The room dimensions and projector recommendations were particularly useful. Also, your total cost seems like real life to me and is consistent with my own estimates.

That Optoma EH200ST projector has a native 16:9 aspect ratio, yet your screen looks pretty square. Are you running it in 16:9 mode and simply blocking off the sides of the image or running it 4:3?

Thought id post an actual DIY project that I just completed about 2 weeks ago. Through all my days worth of research prior to beginning this project I found that no one would list out their exact room dimensions and only a few would get get really specific with their build out details. Well I'm about to provide both and hopefully you find this more informative than boring!

Once i measured this, i knew it was slightly larger than the minimum requirements but i highly suggest swinging a lot in that space and go 120% all out on a bunch of swings before you deem it playable, because everyone starts off with an indoor swing and sometimes too cramped of an area, especailly too low of a ceiling, although meeting the minimum just wont be worth it.

What I Bought:

NetReturn Pro Golf Mat

Optoma EH200ST Projector

24x24 inch 1/2 inch thick Gym Mat Interlocking Flooring Packages from Home Depot (6X)

15 ft Extension Cable

25 ft HDMI Cable

Apple Lighting Adapter

Apple iPad

The items you probably dont see too often in other reviews are the Homecourse retractable screen and the Divot Action. The retractable screen was a must for me. I live in an apartment ...

Nice set up and in an apartment too. I'd be afraid of sh..k'g a shot into a window on the right, lol.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

What I Bought:

NetReturn Pro Golf Mat

Optoma EH200ST Projector

15 ft Extension Cable

25 ft HDMI Cable

Apple Lighting Adapter

Apple iPad

The items you probably dont see too often in other reviews are the Homecourse retractable screen and the Divot Action. The retractable screen was a must for me. I live in an apartment ...

Nice set up and in an apartment too. I'd be afraid of sh..k'g a shot into a window on the right, lol.

I as well.... Thats a lot of brick :black eye:

Excellent write-up...thanks. The room dimensions and projector recommendations were particularly useful. Also, your total cost seems like real life to me and is consistent with my own estimates.

That Optoma EH200ST projector has a native 16:9 aspect ratio, yet your screen looks pretty square. Are you running it in 16:9 mode and simply blocking off the sides of the image or running it 4:3?

Thats one of my favorite features about this projector.Its able to run a variety of different ratios, 16:9, 4:3, native, and a few others. I run mine in 16:9 actually. Because of the angle and proximity of the screen, the most full picture was a keystoned 16:9 image as the 4:3 was too small actually. I couldve gone with either and changed the zoom though, but opted for the higher aspect ratio and adjusted from there

What I Bought:

NetReturn Pro Golf Mat

Optoma EH200ST Projector

15 ft Extension Cable

25 ft HDMI Cable

Apple Lighting Adapter

Apple iPad

Haha yeah i was originally too at first but the screen sits 7 feet from the divotaction, so youd have to hit one of the worst shots of your life to hit it. I had a few beers the other night and hit one off the hosel of my 58* that still hit the main screen, so that made me feel a lot better

What I Bought:

NetReturn Pro Golf Mat

Optoma EH200ST Projector

15 ft Extension Cable

25 ft HDMI Cable

Apple Lighting Adapter

Apple iPad

Haha yeah i was originally too at first but the screen sits 7 feet from the divotaction, so youd have to hit one of the worst shots of your life to hit it. I had a few beers the other night and hit one off the hosel of my 58* that still hit the main screen, so that made me feel a lot better

Do you hit drivers in there? Isn't it really loud for neighbors? My main concern for my own future set up

What I Bought:

NetReturn Pro Golf Mat

Optoma EH200ST Projector

15 ft Extension Cable

25 ft HDMI Cable

Apple Lighting Adapter

Apple iPad

Do you hit drivers in there? Isn't it really loud for neighbors? My main concern for my own future set up

Yeah i do but not late at night. Luckily my apartment was sound proofed by the prior owner so i dont have too worry too much

I have many different drivers I like to throw in the bag depending on the occasion and some are way louder than others. For example, my Epic is like a gun with a suppressor on it compared to my Krank Formula 5. My wife tells me she can hardly tell with I am hitting the Epic, but it sounds like a gun shot when I hit the Krank. That thing makes my ear ring, I imagine my neighbors think I have a shooting range in my garage when I hit that!

Edit: Reworded some stuff.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Still a work in progress. Using a Skytrak on PC. Optima Darbee projector. Carls Impact screen.

Nice rig, I'll have a similar setup that should be finished in a few weeks.

Titleist TSi3 10 w Tensei 1K Black 65

TM 2017 M2 Tour 15 w HC HZRDUS Black 85

Titleist T200 3 w HC HZRDUS Black 105

Titleist T100 4-9 w TI X100

Titleist SM7 47.11 F, 51.13 F; SM8 55.15 F & 60.08 M w TI X100

Byron Morgan 612SS

Titleist ProV1x

Still a work in progress. Using a Skytrak on PC. Optima Darbee projector. Carls Impact screen.

Nice rig, I'll have a similar setup that should be finished in a few weeks.

Thanks. We still have alot of work to finish it. But we wanted to get something up and running for the winter. Talking about moving it to another space this summer with about 3x the room.

Here's a better breakdown of what all we used so far:

Skytrak, Case, Game Improvement Plan and TGC for real play (bought used on here)

Carls Preferred Impact Screen (12'-0" x 9'-0")

Optima GT1080 Darbee (Newegg)

Anti Fatigue Mats (Harbor Freight)

Cables (Amazon)

• 2 weeks later...

Skytrak users: I’ve been chatting with SkyTrak support and have followed all of their instructions, but the unit is very inconsistent with left/right readings. Two shots that impact the screen in exactly the same spot may register 10-15 degrees difference. After lining everything up carefully, shots that strike to the right of the target line pretty consistently register to the left, but that’s about all that’s consistent. And if I use it for more than 15 or 20 minutes it starts not registering shots. Once it starts dropping every other shot I quit. Level? Check. No external light falling on the unit or laser dot? Check. I’m not using a projector, just an iPad.

Anybody have similar issues? At this point support has no more suggestions.

Skytrak users: I’ve been chatting with SkyTrak support and have followed all of their instructions, but the unit is very inconsistent with left/right readings. Two shots that impact the screen in exactly the same spot may register 10-15 degrees difference. After lining everything up carefully, shots that strike to the right of the target line pretty consistently register to the left, but that’s about all that’s consistent. And if I use it for more than 15 or 20 minutes it starts not registering shots. Once it starts dropping every other shot I quit. Level? Check. No external light falling on the unit or laser dot? Check. I’m not using a projector, just an iPad.

Get on to the GolfSimulatorForum.com and get a hold of Skytrak Seth. He’s the guy. Like really, he designed it, I believe. If he can’t get you going, no one can.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Is it in the FMJ metal case? If it is, these have some horrible effects on shot reads in my experience. I no longer keep mine in it. You really have to spend the time to get it aligned perfectly inside that case and even then it can give some wacky reads. If you are brave enough, try to hit with it out of the metal case (if you have one). If its not that, something environmental in your background could be causing problems. Sunlight even if not direct can cause problems. If those things check out just fine, it may very well be that one of the cameras is out of alignment and it needs repairs.

Is it in the FMJ metal case? If it is, these have some horrible effects on shot reads in my experience. I no longer keep mine in it. You really have to spend the time to get it aligned perfectly inside that case and even then it can give some wacky reads. If you are brave enough, try to hit with it out of the metal case (if you have one). If its not that, something environmental in your background could be causing problems. Sunlight even if not direct can cause problems. If those things check out just fine, it may very well be that one of the cameras is out of alignment and it needs repairs.

Thank you, it is in the metal case. The way the screws are it doen’t seem to give any latitude for adjustment. What I have done is put a small piece of tape on the backstop as a target and use that to adjust alignment of the unit. At the moment, with the unit aimed about four degrees to the left, a shot that hits the tape dead center pretty generally reads as straight. But from what you say, I can see how the case may be responsible for the inconsistency and dropped shots. Thanks again.

Thank you, it is in the metal case. The way the screws are it doen’t seem to give any latitude for adjustment. What I have done is put a small piece of tape on the backstop as a target and use that to adjust alignment of the unit. At the moment, with the unit aimed about four degrees to the left, a shot that hits the tape dead center pretty generally reads as straight. But from what you say, I can see how the case may be responsible for the inconsistency and dropped shots. Thanks again.

No problem. Good luck to you, I hope that is the issue and it doesn't need to be sent in.

So I am looking at heating my garage in the near future, but I was curious about something. Does anyone have one of those 220 volt infrared heaters? How well do they work? I was wondering if that would be a better solution since I have 220 in my garage and I don't really want to heat the entire garage if I don't need to. There are benefits to keeping the garage heated but its also an energy waste as my garage door faces prevailing winds in the winter.