2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

3 aces in a round story

drpino

methinks not but who knows
i didn't do a search to see if anyone had posted this yet but if it has...feel free to delete.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/oct/25...elievable_days/

naplesnews.com
14-year-old claims 3 aces in one round

An Estero High freshman and his dad claim the 14-year-old hit three holes-in-one on Oct. 21 but some golf observers doubt it ever happened

By TOM HANSON, Greg Hardwig

Originally published — 9:17 p.m., October 25, 2007
Updated — 6:07 p.m., October 26, 2007

Ron Molly says it’s one of those days that no one will believe. It’s his proudest day as a father.

He claims his 14-year-old son made three holes-in-one during one round at Shadow Wood Preserve this past Sunday.

“It was just one of those unbelievable days,” Ron Molly said.

With three swings, and three different balls, Christopher Molly aced Nos. 4, 6 and 12 on the challenging Arthur Hills course in San Carlos Park.

This is according to him and his father. There are no other witnesses. There is a man named Paul who joined them for five holes and witnessed one of the holes-in-one, according to Ron Molly. As per policy, the Daily News doesn’t publish reported hole-in-ones unless it can be confirmed by an independent witness or is turned in by the club.

When the Mollys finished, the pro shop had already closed for the evening, and they didn't tell the cart personnel or attempt to contact the club at the time.

“I know it’s like telling someone I just saw a UFO,” Ron Molly said.

And the golf experts are treating this news as if someone saw a space ship from another planet.

The feat, three aces in one 18-hole round, has never been accomplished. The odds on it are out of this world into the trillions.

“It seems so unbelievable it’s almost laughable,” said Sal Johnson, the publisher of golfobserver.com and a well-known golf statistician. “I honestly don’t believe it.”

Molly admits the story sounds like a Steven Spielberg sci-fi sports flick.

See, Christopher Molly isn’t one of the top junior golfers in the country. He’s not even one of the top junior golfers in Southwest Florida. He’s extremely pleased when he breaks 100 for 18, his father wrote in a press release to the Daily News.

And on this glorious day, his score was not indicative of his endeavors.

Christopher Molly posted an 86.

The freshman at Estero High is proud of the 14-over par score.

Who wouldn’t be? He had three holes-in-one. And for good measure he had a couple of deuces, too.

On top of the holes-in-one, Christopher Molly holed out from the fairway from 150 yards on the third hole for eagle and he chipped in for birdie on No. 17, the only par-3 that he didn’t find his ball in the bottom of the cup after his tee shot.

“I’m a credible person. I have nothing to gain from it,” Ron Molly, who works for Resource Conservation System, said of skeptics.

Ron Molly knows the unlikelihood of his son’s feat. He made a hole-in-one, back in college at a club in Northeastern Ohio.

In his press release he stated the odds of having one hole-in-one is 12,000 to 1 and the odds of having two hole-in-ones during the same round are 9 million to one. Those are odds calculated by Golf Digest for professionals. Molly wasn’t able to find the odds on three hole-in-ones because there aren’t any.

“This is as funny as the reverend from ‘Caddyshack’ having the divine round,” Johnson said. “Did lightning strike the kid after the third hole-in-one?”

All three aces, and the first eagle, did come without a practice swing, says Ron Molly.

As his father recalls, Molly’s miraculous day started with a hybrid 5-iron on the short par-4 at Shadow Wood Preserve. After a 170-yard drive, Christopher, a left-hander, carved his approach shot from 150 yards around the green protected by water, and into the hole.

“I saw it go in,’’ Christopher said.

Excited about the score, Ron Molly hit first on the next hole even though his son had the honors to let him catch his breath.

Without a practice swing again, Christopher knocked a shiny new Titleist ProVI into the hole. Neither father nor son saw the ball go in the hole but after searching they found it at the bottom of the cup.

Two holes later, on the next par-3, Ron Molly said he handed Christopher an old DDHII ball. He worried Christopher might lose the ball in the marsh that surrounds the green. No such luck.

Before the shot, Ron Molly said Christopher asked if he’d give him a $100 if he made another hole-in-one. Ron Molly said he responded by saying he’d give him $200.

After thinking the ball was over the green, the Mollys were giddy with excitement to find the ball in the hole.

The second ace is the one that Paul, the single who joined them, witnessed, Molly says. The pro shop personnel at Shadow Wood Preserve said Paul is a employee at Pelican Preserve Golf Club. The Daily News called Pelican Preserve on Thursday to reach Paul, but the club had already closed for the day.

“He had played 27 holes and he quit after (the Mollys’ front nine),” Ron Molly said.

So Paul didn’t see the third ace on No. 12.

On the 136-yard par-3, Ron Molly said he gave Christopher a Titleist ProV1 with a red stripe on it for putting alignment that he had found on a previous hole.

“It looked like a good ball,” Ron Molly said.

Good enough to go in the hole? The Mollys weren’t sure.

When they walked to the putting surface, there were two balls on the back green.

But neither ball belonged to the Mollys.

Ron Molly’s ball was in the rough. And Christopher’s Titleist ProV1 with the red stripe was in the hole.

Once again, according to father and son.

“You can’t imagine what kind of high we were on when we walked off the course,” said Ron Molly, who sounded as proud of his son’s chip-in birdie on the 17th hole as any of the aces.

Ron Molly decided against an interview with his son on video for naplesnews.com

“This is not something we asked for, it’s not something we planned,” Ron Molly said. “I don’t know if we are ready for this kind of attention. We thought we would just get three lines in the newspaper like we did before.”

These weren’t Christopher’s first holes-in-one. Molly’s trifecta now gives him a career five holes-in-one. He made one at a course in O’Fallon, Mo., “Ten days before his 10th birthday,’’ his father said. And in March of this year, he made one with a driver on the 200-yard 15th at Bonita Fairways, an executive course in Bonita Springs. And once again, it was only father and son who witnessed the feat.

Despite his incredible feat, he’s unsure if playing golf professionally will be one of his goals.

“I wanted to at one point,’’ said Christopher, who follows fellow lefty Phil Mickelson, one of the top players in the world. “I didn’t think I had what it takes to do it.’’

Ron Molly said he understands that people are going “to look at him like he is drunk.”

With a recent story of an 86-year-old woman claiming to make 16 aces in six months who appeared on the Today show only to be found out later to be a fraud, Molly knows there will be doubters.

He knows people will be skeptical that his son made as many hole-in-ones in one day as Tiger Woods has in his 11-year career on the PGA Tour.

But he’s sticking to his story.

When asked by the Daily News if he’d be willing to take a polygraph test, Molly said, “absolutely.”

Johnson doesn’t think this story will be damaging to golf, considered a game of honor because it’s the only sport where players call penalties on themselves. He does, however, have worries for the Mollys.

“It hurts the man and the kid,” Johnson said. “They should go to their graves with this story.”

Ron Molly said his son told him three nights later he was still excited about Sunday’s events and he couldn’t believe it happened.

“Sunday Oct. 21st will be a day that we will always remember as day that something incredible happened,” Ron Molly said, “and I don’t care if anyone else believes it.”

© 2007 Naples Daily News and NDN Productions. Published in Naples, Florida, USA by the E.W. Scripps Co.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this story makes absolutely no sense. this kid is 14 years old, is barely capable fo breaking one hundred, and he holes out five shots in a round? The score is what is most shocking to me, because if he was swinging the club well enough to hole those five shots, how could he have doubled every single other hole on the course (on average) to shoot and 86? There is no way this is possible and i feel bad for this poor kid.

No way that happened. He shot an 86 after dropping all of those in the jar? His dad said the kid was lucky to break 100, which most likely means he is a terrible ball striker. I just don't see how it could happen.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I agree, considering that he is not a good ballstriker (assuming since he is lucky to break 100) and holing out on 3 out of 4 par 3's. C'mon man, does he think people are going to fall for that? Is he trying to get his kid on the golf team or something? I've played for 17 years and have had 1 hole in one. You see the best of the best PGA pros get 1 hole in one every few years, they just don't happen hardly at all. The odds are in the trillions for that story.

yeah the story sounds a little fishy to me...kinda like a story about 2 hole in ones in one round that i have heard from someone on this forum :good: ....but he also claims to know brett favre ... :cheesy:

I did not tell the above story but.....

I was working at Winchester Country Club at the snack bar in the late 1980's and a 60 or 70 year old member of the club Tommy Rawson scored two aces in the same round, with a colored golf ball nevertheless. I was there the day that it happened and saw the first one because 9 is a par three and the snack bar is right behind the green, the second hole in one I heard about later on in my shift.

So it is possible,

and I don't know Brett Favre...

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

pfft, I could do that in my sleep, just don't want all the crowds knocking on my door wanting my autograph. Very doubtful, seeing as he would have shot +25 for the other 13 holes. Come on, -7 for the four par 3's and a hole-out eagle on a par 5? Mr Molly, have u heard of the movie Liar Liar?

Question: how many pros get 5 birdies in a round, let alone 5 hole outs?

The thing that I find a little fishy besides the obvious point that he -9 on 5 holes is that his dad is plugging the "PRO V-1" during the interview. It almost sounds like a ploy for the golf balls. Also why would a dad give his son who is a 100+ shooter a "Brand New Shiney Pro-V 1?' I know it was said he didn't give him one with the marsh on the hole, but still seems rather fishy to me.

On a side not, I do know a guy who had 2 aces in a 4 man scramble. AND HIS TEAM LOST!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr. this is sh!t. you have to count all the mullies. why were balls on the green that were not yours? that doe's not happen. I still think the kid was pulling a fast one on his dad buy droping his ball in the hole when pops was'nt looking. he just did not see the hype he would create and know it has gone so far he is trapped in one megga lie. his ave is 100 then he is lucky to hit the greens. it's a freaking christmas miracle for him to shoot 3 aces. was it christmas. if it was then it makes sense.

• 4 years later...

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1349743508' post='5768045']
So Kim Jong il has a brother named Ron Molly?
[/quote]

I'd bet my house the both are descended from Jack Pearsall!

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

[quote name='Hattori Hanzo' timestamp='1349749579' post='5768591']
[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1349743508' post='5768045']
So Kim Jong il has a brother named Ron Molly?
[/quote]

I'd bet my house the both are descended from Jack Pearsall!
[/quote]

Walkin the line baby, walking the line ... ;)

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

My buddy is getting the nick name, "hole in one ferry"

This year, he was playing with someone at Kapalua who never had a HIO and he made back to backs HIO at Kapalua. Golf Digest will mention it here soon.

Then he was at Chambers Bay and two guys in the group went back to back HIO on the 15 hole.

Petty amazing sequence of events to witness.