2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

It's the spine-ing arguments (there are already huge threads on this on this forum and other forums). Every graphite shaft has a spine that when loaded and unloaded, it wants to twist a certain way. This is what Pat did on youtube (which I found yesterday ironically)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=k4PUDXvfSsM

For me, before it was spined, when I loaded the shaft and unloaded at the impact point, the head just wanted to close the gate hard especially, imo, on a heavier head like the L4V. All Pat did was find the spine and rehsafted it to that the spine is up - resulting in what looks like a ~90* rotation to the right and it did straighten my baby out.

As I said, there are arguments for and against spine-ing but hell, it works for me.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

k guys have a l4v x speed looking into getting a voodoo shaft just curious if you guys could help me with which one im swinging 115-118 also i'd like it to play at 44.5 should the guy who puts it in be able to get the swingweight right? thanks for the help ....just wondering did anyone else hit really high slices with the stock shaft

Question on reg or stiff Accuflex creation. I have a L4V 10 degree with the stock shaft, this head weights 209 grams and I know that whatever shaft I install because of the head weight will play a little softer. My club head speed is 92 to 94 (LM) and a little faster in the summer, right now according to accuflex I should be playing a regular in the creation, with the heavy head it will play softer with the reg shaft, should I go to the stiff? I am not a smooth swinger as such, I try to hit it hard......Stiff??

After advise from this forum I re-shafted my Callaway Big Bertha 460 11° with Graphollay ProLaunch RED shaft. I love this shaft and I thank you the folks who sent me that direction.

Since last year my swing has improved and now I think I need a 10.5 or 10 degree driver and I have been thinking about getting the Cobra L4V as well.

My question is would I be able to keep my ProLaunch shaft with the L4v? Does anyone know how this head with react with this shaft?

Thanks in advance

cobid

Two questions. Still hitting ballooning balls so Im going to put it a rombax at 44.75...should I get it cut down to 44 or should it be okay the way it is? Im looking to hit low trajectory tracers that roll....

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone has had the true loft measured on the L4V X....?

I would think 44.5" should be fine. Also, measure 20 different retail heads and they will all be different. Mostly above stated loft. Out of the 20, maybe 2 will be close. The L4VX I had played VERY close to the stated loft.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

After advise from this forum I re-shafted my Callaway Big Bertha 460 11° with Graphollay ProLaunch RED shaft. I love this shaft and I thank you the folks who sent me that direction.

Since last year my swing has improved and now I think I need a 10.5 or 10 degree driver and I have been thinking about getting the Cobra L4V as well.

My question is would I be able to keep my ProLaunch shaft with the L4v? Does anyone know how this head with react with this shaft?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone please take a moment and answer the above question?

I never tried that shaft in that head.. you could just try it and if don't work out, buy another shaft.

I know with the heavier head, that shaft could be a little unstable for you through impact. It may be worth a shot though.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

For the last month I have been playing a 10.5* Tour Burner TP with regular Matrix XCON5. It has fluctuated between the longest driver I have ever hit to being one of the worst. I put this down to when I was swinging well, my spin and launch characteristics were ideal. When I was a little off (age and a crook back make this more often than not) the spin was obviously too low and my drives were going no where. I love the XCON5 shaft but obviously day in and day out the lower spin in combination with the Tour Burner head is just too low for me.

I have been intrigued for a while about the L4V and the heavier head as my preference is to play a driver at max. 45" and preferably 44.5" My swing speed is low 90's with a carry of 200 mtrs. Trial and error see me getting best results with a head of 10.5 - 11*

What results are the lower swing speed golfers getting.

I need a new driver and very tempted to go with an L4V

How do you guys feel about making this driver longer in length? Mine is currently playing at standard I'm pretty sure, but have not actually measured it since picking it up from another member. I'm just looking to maximize my club head speed as much as possible. I know the L4V head is heavier than most, so people say swing weight would be different than usual...but would it be worth it? Has anyone tried it out at say 46" ?

I'm probably going to go get some launch monitor numbers with this one soon. That should help get a better idea of things too. I can always see what the pro thinks on this subject as well.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

Need a bit of help w/ my L4V. Current set up is L4V/F w/ untipped Harrison Saga Stiff @ 44.5". Nice easy swings and she goes just fine, problem is that's not my swing. When I'm swinging well I will lose it high left (I'm a lefty) and just seems everything is lagging behind my swing. Definiately seems like too much spin also since distance is behind well struck shots w/ my old Superquad TP. I've played the combo for over a month now and have hit more shots from the short grass than ever. Just not getting those "That was hit!" comments. Swingspeed is 103-105 and the Reax TP65 Stiff in my SQTP has fit me better than any shaft I've had. Was thinking about a Protopype 60S or a PM702S. Any thoughts? Also, any suggestion on tipping of either shaft when installing?

Thanks in advance for any comments,

Raskal

I had a F with the stiff Saga shaft, probably the only one in this whole thread before your post. Anyway, with mine, I definitely had it tipped 1" to give it the extra stiffness for the heavy head. The saga is a nice shaft, still launched a bit higher than I wanted to though but it's very playable, abliet it's not an max ball roll shaft. If you want to persist with the Sage, tip it 1" and add 1" at the butt to keep the same length.

You are about my SS as well and I would say get the PM702 stiff and shove it in untipped. This mutha is stiff enough as it is but you better drive it at the upper 105s+ to get full use of the combo. I also had the pype 60S before the 702 and this baby has to be tipped, lovely shaft - less boardy that the PM imo and better feel but the 702 just kills it for the trajectory and roll. Go the PM if I were you and get it spined for the ultimate driver.

You sure, you're not my evil twin brother out there on the net :D

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts

I never tried that shaft in that head.. you could just try it and if don't work out, buy another shaft.

I know with the heavier head, that shaft could be a little unstable for you through impact. It may be worth a shot though.

Josh,

Thanks a lot for taking your time and responding.

Spinny shaft + spinny head = sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

Thanks in advance

Can anyone please take a moment and answer the above question?

Use the search topic at the bottom of the page for prolaunch red and you'll see several posts about this shaft. The specs when I tried one are all there in one of my posts which might help you out. I've since moved on to the new Titleist and now I'm back to an F 9* with the prolaunch platinum in it just because this head is just oo easy to hit. Hope it helps.

Hit the range for the 1st time with my used $99 L4V. Stock redboard, butt trimmed to 44"... basically no money put into it.

AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

This thing will NOT go left! I got the F 9* and to my eye it sits either dead square or maybe a hair open... doesn't matter, it won't go left anyway. I hit baby fades with it all night. If I really jumped on one I'd either hit it dead straight or a power fade, but no left... There goes 1/2 of the course...

The best $99 I've ever spent.

I have an X coming with the pm702 in stiff installed. My favorite driver of the past was the 510tp with 757 9.5, just a perfect match head to shaft. I hit that combo with a flat mid to high flight. My miss was a touch to the right. I would like to know what to expect with this combo coming frome what i have had. Thanks!

Is it possible to tell how much a shaft was tipped?

ThankS!

Wow...just got the Lv4 x with pm702 stiff. I have only hit in the simulator at GG but wow this thing feels great. The sound is loud but not as bad as the fti. The shaft feels stout but not like the grafaloy blue which feels like a pype to me. I can still feel the shaft unload into the ball but yet it is tight. LOve it! It is at d5 at 44.75 and feels every bit.

I am excited to see that i now average 320 with this club....okay so it was on the GG monitor, but I am sticking to it!!!

I can not wait to get this thing on the course.

My L4V X showed up today and it looks promising....I got an Grafalloy Axis 75 TX incoming on wedsday to slam into it. I hope it lives up to the madness.... Thanks Robo

I dont want to look through all the pages but how does one add cotton to the head to quite this thing down?

Cobra Bio Cell + 661 speeder
Big Bertha 3w Fuji 8.3TS X
Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

Wow...just got the Lv4 x with pm702 stiff. I have only hit in the simulator at GG but wow this thing feels great. The sound is loud but not as bad as the fti. The shaft feels stout but not like the grafaloy blue which feels like a pype to me. I can still feel the shaft unload into the ball but yet it is tight. LOve it! It is at d5 at 44.75 and feels every bit.

I am excited to see that i now average 320 with this club....okay so it was on the GG monitor, but I am sticking to it!!!

I am glad you like it taylormade113, I have not been able to hit the fti lcg yet, But I have a limited edition gold xcon6 waiting to go in it. I am thinking about putting in a 83S blueboard in my other L4v.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

Need some shaft advise for a 10* F. My swing speed is 100 to 105, fairly hard loader my misses are a slice but normally straight to baby fade. Can't decide between a stiff or x-stiff since the head is so heavy, normally play a stiff. Also, what shaft weight to play. I like a heavier shaft but don't want my swing weight to get out of control. If played at 44 1/2 with a 6x07 where will that put the sw or if I go 7X07 where will that put the swing weight? The head I've got comes in at 207. Any other shaft suggestions will be entertained as well. Main thing I don't want it to feel like a sledge hammer with a heavier shaft. I see some of you playing a 83 gram blue or whiteboard what's your swing weight and length your playing.

Thanks guys.

The FTi has a higher pitch sound. Man, that's the same setup as mine except mine is at 44 1/2 and Pat measured it to be D2 or D1, surprisingly. You have to keep it 105 or more to crank this combo, at least that's what I found. Welcome to the Kool Aid club :)