2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

is this the longest thread in golfwrx history? Just wondering. Still rocking my L4V F 9* with the stock Diamana stiff, love it, although the 910 D2 has me curious....

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

[quote name='renidrag1982' timestamp='1287780337' post='2754626']
[size="3"]After reading this thread I bought an l4v 9* f-speed and cant find a serial number on the head. Does this mean that it is a tour issue model and if so what is the difference?[/size]

[/quote]

From what I've read, yes, then you have a tour issue head. What's the difference? Maybe a little, maybe a lot. It could be just from off the van, or it could've been made for someone specific as well. Without a serial number though, it's tough to tell. I believe this is why TM uses a special serial number for their tour issue gear so they know exactly what was done to each head if it ever becomes in question.

The weighting could be different in overall weight, it could have hot melt in there to give it a specific bias, not really sure.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1287760723' post='2754168']
If the ballflight is high, but not ballooning, then that's usually exactly what you're looking for. You maximize the carry with the height, and you can still get roll out of it as it's relatively lower spinning as you say it's not ballooning on ya. Even with a higher ball flight, if it's not spinning too much, even if it's going into a headwind, it still won't be affected by the wind too much. It's the ones that are spinning too much that catch a bit of wind and then almost start coming back to you.

The shaft stiffness certainly plays a part. Within the past probably 5-7 years, shafts have come so much further than anything else in the golfing industry in my opinion, and they're now the engine behind the club as a whole. Finding the right shaft is probably the most crucial thing you can look for. Certain heads play better with certain shafts, no question about it. That's why you will see a lot of suggestions on here about the Aldila ProtoPype as a good shaft for the L4V head. Kind of like the UST Proforce V2 shaft with the Titleist 905R head...like they were just made for each other. The L4V head is quite a bit heavier than most other driver heads, so having a shaft with a stiffer tip (like the ProtoPype does) will usually lead to better results.

Almost any shaft you can find in an X-flex (like your Purple Ice) you can find in a normal stiff flex, but I'm sure there are some exceptions out there as well, just none that I can think of off the top of my head. However, one stiff shaft (say Graphite Design like your Purple Ice) will not play the same as a stiff flex Matrix or Diamana or Proforce. They're all a little bit different in their own way. In my experience, most Grafalloy shafts play a little stiffer than other brands, so their stiff flex is more like an inbetween stiff and x-flex for most other brands. I've read other people stating the opposite as well, so you really just need to find what works best for you.

However, now that you're a part of this site, there are a ton of useful people on here (and of course, the rude, not so useful ones as well) and they will give you some feedback on what you're saying as well. ROBOPTI is a great resource for shaft combinations specifically with Cobra heads, the L4V probably being his wheelhouse from what I've read. I had a few questions for him previously when I first got my L4V head and he lead me in the right direction.

What most people fail to realize is even though a specific ball flight might suit their eye, it may not be the best for maximizing distance and accuracy. Most people don't quite realize how incredibly high professionals hit their tee balls. It's amazing. I see so many people want "low launch, low spin" shafts, but that's probably not in their best interest, that's just what they heard some other guy say and they now want the same thing.

Call me crazy, but I'll take a 275 yard carry with 285 overall over a 240 yard carry and maybe 300 overall any day of the week.
[/quote]

Ok, Iv got it narrowed down to 2 shafts,

Whiteboard
Project x 7a3

Only problem is that for the project X seems to need 110mph + for the shaft, Iv got to get my swing speed measured.

Any idea whay to do if my swing speed is lower?

Robo, Iv sent you a pm.

Thanks for the adivce all
Daryl

Did you get the F or the X model? I am wondering if they are basically the same head but the F is closed and the X is open...

Just an FYI ... I once asked COBRA PIMP DADDY LOWRIDE.gif(who has since received a VERY nice promotion at COBRAw00t.gif - Congrats PIMP)

I said phonesmiley2.gif "So CPD - X vs F .... What's the skinny ??? thbananamac.gif "

THAT BEING SAID ... My GAMER right now ... OVER the superfast (which I still LOVE ) ... Is an 8* X head (203 grams) with the Project X 7A3 - Gang - SERIOUSLY ... Put a PX in an X head and call me in the morning ... It is that good ... and that easy to hit robo-pheus.gif

so for the Project x 7A3 shaft in a 9* L4Vx head with a 100 mph swing with a driver and quick transition, I'm a hitter not a swinger, what shaft flex and tipping do you recommend?

Did you get the F or the X model? I am wondering if they are basically the same head but the F is closed and the X is open...

Just an FYI ... I once asked COBRA PIMP DADDY LOWRIDE.gif(who has since received a VERY nice promotion at COBRAw00t.gif - Congrats PIMP)

I said phonesmiley2.gif "So CPD - X vs F .... What's the skinny ??? thbananamac.gif "

THAT BEING SAID ... My GAMER right now ... OVER the superfast (which I still LOVE ) ... Is an 8* X head (203 grams) with the Project X 7A3 - Gang - SERIOUSLY ... Put a PX in an X head and call me in the morning ... It is that good ... and that easy to hit robo-pheus.gif

so for the Project x 7A3 shaft in a 9* L4Vx head with a 100 mph swing with a driver and quick transition, I'm a hitter not a swinger, what shaft flex and tipping do you recommend?

Its my understanding that the project x shaft is a x stiff, and the tip is stiff as well. Seems that with the l4v it takes a stiff tip to make this club fly....

Hope this helps

Well, I put the L4V back in the bag today. Missed two fairways all day! Tee it high and wale away!! I have been through so many drivers since I bought the L4V it isn't funny. For now it's firmly in the bag. Mine is a 10* F with a RT Technologies Atlas shaft. Will play again in the morning so we'll see if she acts up...

Finally got my 9* F head shafted up for the first time and took it out Friday. Went with a NV 65 Stiff to start (trying to keep this experiment cheap). I gotta say it is legit. The sound is outrageous but results are money. I usually struggle with left as my miss and this really seemed to just want to go straight. My F head sits very square. As advertised the launch is hight but it is still a boring forward flight. Pretty happy with this thing and for the entire setup coming in right at $100 im pretty stoked. Every bit as long as my 909 and MP 630 but loads more forgiving. I'll just have to see how long i can tolerate the noise. Right now after only 1 round its still pretty cool...that could change as time goes on or i start to loose my hearing :)

Its my understanding that the project x shaft is a x stiff, and the tip is stiff as well. Seems that with the l4v it takes a stiff tip to make this club fly....

Hope this helps

With that swingspeed, you won't want to play the PX 7A3 as it is extra stiff and you need 115ss to make it work. However, you could get a PX 7B3 or 7C3 - these codes refer to the flex and weight. They are tour issue, so a bit tougher to find. I would recommend you just play a PX 6.0.

Cobra LTDX 9* Ventus Blue 6X
Cobra LTDX LS 16.5* Ventus Black 8X
Cobra Tour 4-PW PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX6 50*/54*/58* PX 6.5
Ping PLD Anser D

Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

Hey Guys,

Got measured for my swing speed, it was between 105 and 109 mph.

I had high spin, and shots where really high on the LM, I did put 2 nice shots together, on was 287 and one was 275

My shaft is a purple ice tour x.

True to form, the sitck is a bit to much for my swing.

Im think i am going to use a pype ( cost is the big factor, i wanted a project x but when i seen the price, uwww.) but not sure on do i go stiff and tip it, or x stiff and do non tip? and what weight? Most seem to do 60 x but the store that took my swingspeed said i needed 72 to make the shaft work.

Advice please

Daryl

I think Robo is probably the guy to best answer this question, but I know he just lost someone very close to him, so he might not be on for a bit here. Since it's a heavy head, I would go 60-X. The Pype is one of the only shafts you probably don't need to tip as it's already super tip stiff. If you were to go stiff and tip it a bit, then you might not be able to get the thing off the ground but the flex might be about right.

I've never played the Purple Ice, so I can't really compare it to the Pype, but the 60-X Pype is what I had in mine for a while. I wanted something a bit higher launch, so I tipped the DVS that came with it an inch and put it back in there. Works like a dream now, and I'm never getting rid of that thing unless they change the COR rules.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1288276715' post='2763254']
I think Robo is probably the guy to best answer this question, but I know he just lost someone very close to him, so he might not be on for a bit here. Since it's a heavy head, I would go 60-X. The Pype is one of the only shafts you probably don't need to tip as it's already super tip stiff. If you were to go stiff and tip it a bit, then you might not be able to get the thing off the ground but the flex might be about right.

I've never played the Purple Ice, so I can't really compare it to the Pype, but the 60-X Pype is what I had in mine for a while. I wanted something a bit higher launch, so I tipped the DVS that came with it an inch and put it back in there. Works like a dream now, and I'm never getting rid of that thing unless they change the COR rules.

[/quote]

Thanks for your help, Im still not sure. lol Iv got a guy wanting to sell me a whiteboard but its 44.5 now so, if i tip it 1/2 in at 44. Would this be too short?

also have an offer for an 63 whiteboard stiff. both shafts are for a stiff.

its a 73 gram. I know the l4v is l.25 bore depth, so it would actually play at 44.25. ? would a shaft extention to get back to 45 or 44.5 help or not enough to worry about?

thanks

UPDATE: Picked up the Whiteboard 63 Stiff. Going to tip it 1/2" and let it sit at 44.5

Ill update preformance when i get it all installed and ready to go.

I currently have a Voodoo SVS7 tipped 1/2" in a Cobra L4V F 9*. I get great carry mid/high flight but tends to leak a bit right and doesn't roll out a lot. I'm looking for a bit lower flight with less spin. I purchased another L4V F 9* head and was thinking of going to a UST AXIV Core Tour Green 75 S tipping it 1/2" also because of the L4V heavier head weight. My driver ave SS is 98-102, medium tempo. Does anyone have any insight /advise ? Thanks

PS This thread will never die ROBOPTI !!

Hope this helps

So what is it with this head that makes it work so well with a tip stiff low launch shaft.

I finally got mine today 9* L4VX with a TP7HD at 44 inches at a D2 swingweight. CPM out at 269. I know this will play stiff forme but thats what I came across.

I also have a Avixcore Tour Red stiff being installed tonight in another 9* L4VX head. Will see tomorrow how they work out.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up one of these today on ebay for $100. Got the LV4F 10 degree with the stock shaft. I love this driver so much I think I want to have sex with it :P

I'm a 31 handicap and I hit about 50 balls with it down at the range and have never hit a driver so long and straight before. When my handicap goes down I'll start messing around with shafts but for now I'm not touching it.

[quote name='dfris' timestamp='1288356855' post='2764776']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1288276715' post='2763254']

[/quote]

Thanks for your help, Im still not sure. lol Iv got a guy wanting to sell me a whiteboard but its 44.5 now so, if i tip it 1/2 in at 44. Would this be too short?

also have an offer for an 63 whiteboard stiff. both shafts are for a stiff.

its a 73 gram. I know the l4v is l.25 bore depth, so it would actually play at 44.25. ? would a shaft extention to get back to 45 or 44.5 help or not enough to worry about?

thanks

UPDATE: Picked up the Whiteboard 63 Stiff. Going to tip it 1/2" and let it sit at 44.5

Ill update preformance when i get it all installed and ready to go.
[/quote]

UPDATE TIME:

I finally got the shaft in , and was able to take it to the range. OMG....... This thing is long guys. I have always been able to punch the ball out there around 230 yards. then a nice roll with my old nike driver. but now im landing at the 250 mark. I had a head wind againt me as well. Very impressed with this driver.

I do have a question for you guys. I tipped my white board shaft 1/2 inch, but i still got some really high shots. I have to tee it down some. Should I tip it again? The driver is playing at 44.75 now, so another tip would make it 44.25, to short for this driver? I would think lowering the tee is not good. seeing im not hitting the center of the club head. I guessing i could get another 10 plus yards for a dead on hit.

Anyway its awsome, Iv got $250 in my used driver, but its still better then any driver i have ever hit in my life. It will still give bad shots, with bad swings, and if you slice bad, its a BAD slice, because its goes for ever. lol

Question is, is it really too high or is it just higher than you normally hit it? I thought I was hitting my L4V with DVS "too high" as well until I realized just how far I was hitting the thing. Test came when I was going into the wind...same deal. Didn't balloon on me (I know this is more spin than launch dependent, but still) at all and still had great carry and some roll when it landed.

I'm guessing you may be used to hitting lower launching tee shots, and now with the L4V, you're hitting them a bit higher and you think it's "too high" while it might be just right.

I ended up tipping the L4V I had a full inch with the DVS and it now plays at 44.75" which I think is about perfect, but I certainly wouldn't mind it being 44.5". For me, I think 44.25" would be a bit too short, but I bet I would hit a lot more fairways...

If you ever get a chance, check out some of those shot-tracker tracers on TV when the big guys hit driver. I think you'll be in the majority who say, "holy crap, I didn't realize they hit it THAT high with their driver." Seeing it in person is even better and the effect of the "holy-crap-ness" is even greater ;)

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1289490013' post='2785385']
Question is, is it really too high or is it just higher than you normally hit it? I thought I was hitting my L4V with DVS "too high" as well until I realized just how far I was hitting the thing. Test came when I was going into the wind...same deal. Didn't balloon on me (I know this is more spin than launch dependent, but still) at all and still had great carry and some roll when it landed.

I'm guessing you may be used to hitting lower launching tee shots, and now with the L4V, you're hitting them a bit higher and you think it's "too high" while it might be just right.

I ended up tipping the L4V I had a full inch with the DVS and it now plays at 44.75" which I think is about perfect, but I certainly wouldn't mind it being 44.5". For me, I think 44.25" would be a bit too short, but I bet I would hit a lot more fairways...

If you ever get a chance, check out some of those shot-tracker tracers on TV when the big guys hit driver. I think you'll be in the majority who say, "holy crap, I didn't realize they hit it THAT high with their driver." Seeing it in person is even better and the effect of the "holy-crap-ness" is even greater ;)
[/quote]

You may be right about the height, lol going today to test again with no wind.
do you think adding a shaft extention on would hurt the club, it i do cut it again. it would be at 44.25 so i would add a .5 inch extention.

I don't think adding a shaft extension would be that big of a deal. Some people cannot stand them one bit, but if it doesn't bother you, then I say go for it.

Obviously it would be best to tip something uncut then butt trip to your preferred length, but seeing as though you have a whiteboard in there, that's a bit of an expensive proposition.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

I almost forgot to post my experiences because I was so busy playing in the last warm days we'll have here.
I managed to get a new F-Model 10° head with the stock shaft in R-Flex. First impression was that it must be considerably more than 10°. I looks very similar to my Mizuno MX-700 12° and my G10 10.5°, which is probably also around 12°. But it is not closed.
I assumed the stock R shaft would not really fit me, because I am usually right between R and S in most stock shafts (clubhead speed 98 mph on average). I still tried it for one round and the club would have been perfect for hitting a 220 yards par 3 island green with a front pin all day long. It was straight, extremely high and no roll whatsoever. But, the stock shaft doesn't seem so bad, it was extremely consistent. I kept it and had the L5V adapter installed on it, when I had the Mitsubishi Javln FX M7 S-Flex shaft which never worked that well in the L5V, taken out of the adapter and put into the L4V head. I figured that the Javln shaft is a little bit like a poor, slow swinging man's Whiteboard, so it should fit the L4V.
It does.
At 44.75" it has a D3 swingweight, the club feels wonderfully balanced and is everything I hoped for. I have not hit the longest drives ever with it, that honour still goes to the G10, but I certainly have the longest average on the course I have ever had with a driver. And it is completely impossible to hit drives into real trouble with this club. Semirough, fairway bunkers at the worst, but no OB, no lateral water hazards, no woods. Using Bridgestone B330-S and Srixon Z-Star balls, the wind has almost no effect on drives hit with this club. My other combination of L5V 10.5° with Blueboard 63S is still a little bit longer into the wind, and gives me a touch more roll, but it is also a little less forgiving.
I will probably switch between these two next year, depending on conditions. And I'll probably also use the pulled L4V F's stock "Redboard" at times in a L5V 9.5° head. For some strange reason it feels better than the stock "made for" Redboard that came with the L5V.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• 1 month later...

i am still gaming my L4V because of the forgiveness of this driver and i average 255-265 carry plus roll. I am not into distance i am after accuracy. does anyone switch or replace their L4V to a newer drivers that come out lately. I am more interested on G15, K15 and the new 910. Although i hate a screw replaceable shaft and prefer the old school glue shaft. I hear a buss about K15 so straight, anyone have hit l4v and k15 side by side

Thanks

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I have a L4V F 10* that i just changed to a Motore F1 shaft,because the stock shaft was getting too much height.Has anyone tried this combo?There's +70" of snow here,so i'll have to wait for an early thaw.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

[quote name='viperstudio' timestamp='1293031504' post='2853845']
i am still gaming my L4V because of the forgiveness of this driver and i average 255-265 carry plus roll. I am not into distance i am after accuracy. does anyone switch or replace their L4V to a newer drivers that come out lately. I am more interested on G15, K15 and the new 910. Although i hate a screw replaceable shaft and prefer the old school glue shaft. I hear a buss about K15 so straight, anyone have hit l4v and k15 side by side

Thanks
[/quote]

I switched from the L4V X to the ZL myself. IMO, I think the ZL has all the benefits of the L4V but WAY better sound. Not garbage can like, more of a muted thud if I can remember (it's been way too long since I've hit balls :( )

I havne't hit a K15 so cannot comment on that one.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

• 4 weeks later...

hi, I just got a L4V F 10* from ebay for next to nothing. Unfortunely it had the stock shaft in R in it, So now begins the hunt for a new shaft.
I am hoping to find a reasonably cheap shaft. I have browsed through some of this massive thread, and I have found that the GD Pershing gets alot of praise.

Alot of the shaft recomendations is pretty old, given that this thread has been active forever :rolleyes:
Are there any newer model shafts out there that might be a good fit, I was thinking about the Aldila Serrano witch I have in my FW, but is it low launch enough for this heavy head??

thanks for your input!

[quote name='manglarn' timestamp='1295299170' post='2903728']
hi, I just got a L4V F 10* from ebay for next to nothing. Unfortunely it had the stock shaft in R in it, So now begins the hunt for a new shaft.
I am hoping to find a reasonably cheap shaft. I have browsed through some of this massive thread, and I have found that the GD Pershing gets alot of praise.

Alot of the shaft recomendations is pretty old, given that this thread has been active forever :rolleyes:
Are there any newer model shafts out there that might be a good fit, I was thinking about the Aldila Serrano witch I have in my FW, but is it low launch enough for this heavy head??

thanks for your input!
[/quote]

IMO, anything with a stiff tip section will do for this head. May I also suggest tipping any shaft (maybe with the exception of a ProtoPype, which already has a tip section about as stiff as a piece of rebar) about 1/2" in order for it to play about the same as it is a heavy head, which you already seem to know. Good pickup as well, just be prepared to have a few people glace your way when hitting the thing as it sure is LOUD.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W