2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I'm glad it works out to your favor!

Credit goes to you too honestly. Because you are willing to listen to me and willing to go an extra mile with me.

Joe

I finally got my Kwok'd L4V out for a round today. I haven't had time with it since getting the cotton ball treatment to tone down the sound. All I can is WOW...this worked very well. I was a bit concerned that I'd wreck the mojo by deadening it too much impacting the feel or by making the head unreasonably heavy. If the sound is bothersome I highly recommend that you explore this solution. The results are dramatic

Thanks Joe. You exceeded my expectations! :)

Original feedback above. I'm very happy with the results. The cotton kills the ringing which for me was the only negative.

i want an l4v x very badly. the set up is amazing , so much confidence. the problem for me is the stock shaft with the 9degrees of loft. i just could not load the shaft or get the ball into the air. since it only comes in 9degrees does anyone have any shaft reccomendations for a high launch low spin shaft? i currently play an r7425tp in 10.5 with a stock stiff shaft and i like its ball flight?

any suggestions appreciated.

would i be better off with a speed pro d/s?

Go and playtest an F, should be much more suitable. I wish i had your problem, most are the opposite. The F in 10* with it's lighter shaft in a softer flex might be your ticket.

i'll never hit the f i absolutely hate closed faces, and my swing is between 100-105mph. i am just looking for a high launch shaft.

M is closed

F is square to open

X is open

A reasonable high launch shaft is the Graff Pro Launch Blue.

which has a higher launch the aldila vs proto 65, ys6+, or a v2 high launch 65?

hey robo is that an m speed or something? that thing looks more closed than any l4v I've ever seen. Weird.

No - Just sittin in the grass funny .. They are all Xs :lol:

dude... how many drivers do you have?.... Jeebers... I count like 4 alone on l4v or more?.. and ... 5900. lcg .. tee. teeproto.. yikes...

ok.. nevermind.. back to drinking more kool aide :) :black eye: :) :lol: :lol: Sell me one cheap if your sick of it lol

I am so glad I drank the Kool Aid. I was able to play yesterday with my L4V X 9 degree Protopype 60X 44.5 tipped 1/2 inch. This thing is just awesome. I can't think of any other words to explain than AWESOME. I played in the Cleveland, OH area it was 40 degrees and a little wind. Like others have said on this thread I was hitting to places on this course that I don't reach in the summer. I can't wait for summer to get here to see what this club will do. With this head and shaft combo you half to try to miss the fairway this thing is so accurate it is scary.

Thank you Bigben, Robo, Lama and everyone else for your input. If you are on the fence get off you will not be disappointed!!!

Going to a Cobra Demo day on Saturday. I'm giddy thinking about it. Will definately update you guys on how I like the L4... mixing a batch of the 'Aid as we speak!!

Hey dude- (and anyone else going to a demo day), go early. I tried to go to one last weekend ("10 am to approximately 2pm"), got there at 11:45 and the cobra guy was gone. :)

ASK and yee shall receive ... L4V / ION BB 83X :)

ion1.jpg

ion2.jpg

ion3.jpg

as far as the 103 ... Yeppers - Its a BB 103X

1031.jpg

1032.jpg

No loss of love for WB - I just found for my swing I wanted a little more spin and I THINK I actually prefer the "feel" of BB ... But I still love WB ... I carry the BB further and as a result I think I am getting a tad more release - I occasionally drop the WB out of the sky in windy conditions

TP-7X to the Diamana ... Kinda muted (for a lack of a btter word) - but I have ALWAYS liked it ... It just works for me ... I hit low spin bombs witt it - and I always try to have one laying around. I DO think it truly has the side spin reduction that it is touted for. I just like - The Diamanas all have the "kick" feeling to me ... The TP has that silky no kick feel ... The Diamana DO perform better for me (not miles better - but better) -I just like the feel of it ... That's all :black eye:

Thanks Bro. That Ion plated BB has got to be one of the most b-u-t-ful shafts made. The Ion WB is also nice and a great performer but the blue graphics and flower band just stand out more. Your normal graphics up setup looks even better in this one.

Going to a Cobra Demo day on Saturday. I'm giddy thinking about it. Will definately update you guys on how I like the L4... mixing a batch of the 'Aid as we speak!!

Hey dude- (and anyone else going to a demo day), go early. I tried to go to one last weekend ("10 am to approximately 2pm"), got there at 11:45 and the cobra guy was gone. :black eye:

WHAT?!!! I can't get there 'til 2pm... someone better b there!!!

edit fo' grammer... :)

Ok, just got my Kwok'd L4V X back today with a stiff Fuji Rombax 6w06, tipped and playing at 45". Swingweight is D3. This is the first time that I have worked with Joe, and I'm very glad that I did! Thanks to all on this board that highly recommended him.

This club is now a totally different animal that it was with the stock Redboard!! It was ok before......very straight, but spun too much and didn't have great length. It is now a beast!!!!! The trajectory is mid/high, quickly flattens out and hangs in the air forever. I really couldn't miss with it and it is MUCH longer than it was before. My guess is that it carries 10-15 yards more and runs another 20-25, which is a HUGE improvement over where it was before the reshaft. My best guess is that I have gained 30-35 yards with the reshaft. Was it expensive? Yes? Was it worth it? Hell yes!!!!

A few of the guys at my club that were also on the range first heard it (It's loud but I like kinda it) and then came over and watched the bombs that I was hitting. I would say that Cobra probably sold a few more of these things today.

Very impressive club and just as impressive of a job by Joe Kwok. Thanks for your help!

Ok, just got my Kwok'd L4V X back today with a stiff Fuji Rombax 6w06, tipped and playing at 45". Swingweight is D3. This is the first time that I have worked with Joe, and I'm very glad that I did! Thanks to all on this board that highly recommended him.

This club is now a totally different animal that it was with the stock Redboard!! It was ok before......very straight, but spun too much and didn't have great length. It is now a beast!!!!! The trajectory is mid/high, quickly flattens out and hangs in the air forever. I really couldn't miss with it and it is MUCH longer than it was before. My guess is that it carries 10-15 yards more and runs another 20-25, which is a HUGE improvement over where it was before the reshaft. My best guess is that I have gained 30-35 yards with the reshaft. Was it expensive? Yes? Was it worth it? Hell yes!!!!

A few of the guys at my club that were also on the range first heard it (It's loud but I like kinda it) and then came over and watched the bombs that I was hitting. I would say that Cobra probably sold a few more of these things today.

Very impressive club and just as impressive of a job by Joe Kwok. Thanks for your help!

You are most welcome!

It's my pleasure to be able to make you a happy customer, I'm sure Cobra is happy too now! :)

Joe

How did you choose that shaft?

What's your swing speed?

How did you choose that shaft?

What's your swing speed?

I shared all of my launch monitor data with the stock shaft with Joe Kwok and he recommended it.

My SS is around 104-105. Smooth backswing, fairly aggressive transition. I was able to really go after this thing today and it NEVER went left. A great set up for me!

If nothing else, maybe some of the guys on this board that don't have 125 mph SS will have another point of reference.

A bit of anecdote...

I'm finally getting to hit my L4V outside and had a chance to hit a couple of balls the other day. I was actually testing to make sure my 3w was a good gap between my driver and hybrid... Hit a couple with the L4V and after the first ball realized I was hitting exactly into the setting sun. Couldn't see the ball, at all... Hit a second ball about the same figuring I'd probably be able to find them somewhere in the same vicinity. Hit the 3w shots and went to look at the results. Found the 3w shots first and was pleasantly surprised to find the first driver ball about 35 yards ahead. Couldn't really find the second ball because I'd hit through the fairway into some taller grass/weeds and the sun was at a bad angle. Walked around a bit and found that the second ball was 5 feet from the first (hiding behind a clump of grass). I have a consistent swing but I'd guess my ability to put two drives within 5 feet of each other would have been 1 in 1000 with my old driver and I hadn't seen the landing or flight of either of these balls...

Think I'll be having a good season this year. :)

If they'd only make an L4V set of wedges I'd be set...:black eye:

307golf

C'mon guys it's been a day without a post.

Just got back from a trip where I used my L4V with a Whiteboard 63s and boy this thing goes high.for me.Good distance and the sound was different.Very very easy to hit but difficult to work left or right,this club only wants to go straight.

I've since tipped it 1/2" and the launch seems almost perfect now.My gamer is a Burner with a Blueboard which I thought was easy to hit but the Cobra maybe 30% easier to hit.I only wish is for the Cobra to feel like the Burner other than that I really believe the Cobra is a superior driver.

PS.Robo maybe you should sell one of your driver for some WEED'N FEED

rolllaughing.gifrolllaughing.gifrolllaughing.gifrolllaughing.gif

Just got back from a trip where I used my L4V with a Whiteboard 63s and boy this thing goes high.for me.Good distance and the sound was different.Very very easy to hit but difficult to work left or right,this club only wants to go straight.

I've since tipped it 1/2" and the launch seems almost perfect now.My gamer is a Burner with a Blueboard which I thought was easy to hit but the Cobra maybe 30% easier to hit.I only wish is for the Cobra to feel like the Burner other than that I really believe the Cobra is a superior driver.

PS.Robo maybe you should sell one of your driver for some WEED'N FEED

I KNOW I KNOW .......... I'm working on it !!!!!!!!! ... Geeeeez - Can't get anything past you guys

I just cut my TP-7X L4 down to 44 last night - I think 44 isthe magic #. But I gotta say again - I have been playing quite a bit lately - That Epic WORKS !!!!!!!! in this head ... Hell they all work

I still have the same opinion I did back in November when I started running my mouth about it ... It is the MOST FORGIVING / LONGEST / STRAIGHEST / HOTTEST driver I have hit yet

It's starting to warm up a tad for some people - hopefully we will get more reviews on it :clapping:

Not much to update on from the range.

It's starting to warm up a tad for some people - hopefully we will get more reviews on it :cheesy:

Soon...very soon for us "up north". Knowing the Course Superintendent really well, at my course (he's been there since day 1...32 years), and looking at the longrange forecast...I'd say "Masters" weekend looks good for opening...2 weeks from today!! :cheesy: ;) :clapping: :clapping:

Well... Today's the day. I have my 15 minute window lined up for 2pm at my local golf shop. L4V demo day has finally arrived. It's like Christmas morning! :cheesy:

Wow...a whole 15 minutes!!! Don't know what you'll be able to gain from that little amount of time. I'd feel way to rushed...to make any kind of decision, let alone properly demo various shaft/model options. Best of luck to you.

How come pros seem to prefer the speed drivers to the l4v?

im not sure that this is entirely accurate... they get play on tour...

i have been demoing an L4v and i must say it is def the longest driver i have hit to date... i have no intentions of taking the 907D2 out of the bag but man this thing is so long i just might... prob not though im too set with the D2...

Finally had my L4V demo day today... DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME!! :clapping: Not in the L4V necessarily, but in the entire process. 1st of all the tallest tee they had placed the ball about 1/2 way up the clubface. I normally play it about 1/2 ball above the face, so this was a BIG issue! The rep. kept trying to get my launch angle up, I was averaging about 8.5*. I said at least 3 times that I can remember that the tee was way too low... he finally said it's the only height they have (probably afraid of their clubs getting idiot marks I guess). Needless to say the rep. kept trying to get that launch height up. I wanted to try different aftermarket shafts, but to do this I had to hit other clubs... (ie. Titleise, Cobra, etc). What a mess. I came away from the whole process no better than going in.

So I guess I'm just going to pull the trigger on either a 5900 or F-L4V... suppose I'll flip a coin.

Finally had my L4V demo day today... DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME!! :clapping: Not in the L4V necessarily, but in the entire process. 1st of all the tallest tee they had placed the ball about 1/2 way up the clubface. I normally play it about 1/2 ball above the face, so this was a BIG issue! The rep. kept trying to get my launch angle up, I was averaging about 8.5*. I said at least 3 times that I can remember that the tee was way too low... he finally said it's the only height they have (probably afraid of their clubs getting idiot marks I guess). Needless to say the rep. kept trying to get that launch height up. I wanted to try different aftermarket shafts, but to do this I had to hit other clubs... (ie. Titleise, Cobra, etc). What a mess. I came away from the whole process no better than going in.

So I guess I'm just going to pull the trigger on either a 5900 or F-L4V... suppose I'll flip a coin.

I went to a different range the other day...for a change of scenery. Kind of ran into the same...(tee heights). Couldn't find anything longer, than the one I was hitting off of. I hit my L4V fine, but the top of the ball was barely above the crown. Way too low...I use 3 1/4" tees normally, so it was nowhere near the height I'm comfortable with. I was hitting some nice mid-trajectory penetrating bombs though. Didn't hit many Drivers...kind of pointless. Basically, just hit through the rest of the bag. *I had a feeling you going to post this exact result...if you only had 15 minutes...that's hardly enough time to even get warmed up*. I guess you couldn't go wrong with whichever you decide, between the two you mentioned.

LaTeR...pHiL.

I got a sip of Kool Aide today. The weather hasn't been nice enough yet to play or hit the range so I took a drive over to the Galaxy. My wallet is thankful that I don't live closer.

First driver off the racks was a L4V F 9.0. They didn't have any X models, but since I'm not a bomber the F is probably a better fit. I also had them tape up a Hyper X, a G5 and a HiBore XLS Tour.

Short version: The L4V was noticeably better than the other three. The Galaxy's setup sucks, of course, and their distance monitor was all screwed up, but I was still getting up to 10% more distance with the L4V. It also felt great. I put a bad swing on one and instead of the rope hook I was expecting, the monitor showed a gentle draw. I hardly got any movement at all out of my "fade" (more of a push-block) swing. I consistently got better results than I did with the other sticks.

Can't wait to test one out under real conditions. Time to start looking for demo days for a fitting & I hope my pro can order one for me since the only way I'm going to get one before September is to cash in some of last year's shop gift certificates!

Yeah, I'm getting kinda thirsty.

:clapping:

As a random aside, I was a little concerned by the display at the Galaxy, which said that only the X is neutral - the F has some draw bias, the M has "maximum" draw bias (I think I'm getting the letters right, but I'm too lazy to check). I'm assuming that it was just an old display or something - the L4Vs weren't really separated from the Speed series. I don't need any help moving the ball right-to-left thank you. I didn't note any obvious draw bias in the form of a closed face at address.

I got a sip of Kool Aide today. The weather hasn't been nice enough yet to play or hit the range so I took a drive over to the Galaxy. My wallet is thankful that I don't live closer.

First driver off the racks was a L4V F 9.0. They didn't have any X models, but since I'm not a bomber the F is probably a better fit. I also had them tape up a Hyper X, a G5 and a HiBore XLS Tour.

Short version: The L4V was noticeably better than the other three. The Galaxy's setup sucks, of course, and their distance monitor was all screwed up, but I was still getting up to 10% more distance with the L4V. It also felt great. I put a bad swing on one and instead of the rope hook I was expecting, the monitor showed a gentle draw. I hardly got any movement at all out of my "fade" (more of a push-block) swing. I consistently got better results than I did with the other sticks.

Can't wait to test one out under real conditions. Time to start looking for demo days for a fitting & I hope my pro can order one for me since the only way I'm going to get one before September is to cash in some of last year's shop gift certificates!

Yeah, I'm getting kinda thirsty.

:clapping:

As a random aside, I was a little concerned by the display at the Galaxy, which said that only the X is neutral - the F has some draw bias, the M has "maximum" draw bias (I think I'm getting the letters right, but I'm too lazy to check). I'm assuming that it was just an old display or something - the L4Vs weren't really separated from the Speed series. I don't need any help moving the ball right-to-left thank you. I didn't note any obvious draw bias in the form of a closed face at address.

The draw bias isn't achieved by a closed face in the F, most sit dead square. Personally i think there might be a tad internal bias going on is all. I found the F with whippy stock shaft very easy to turn over, but it still stayed controlable.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

My club had a Titleist and Cobra demo day today. I really wanted to like the Titleist D1. My pro walked over told me to try this Cobra L4V F. I was sceptical. I hit it, and everything was straight and long. I was forced to admit my pro was right. I bought one. It isn't crazy loud. It is big, but I think I can used to that if it performs anything like it did on the range.

I hit the L4V yesterday the first time!

Like the sound and the feel of it, but I could only hit the F in a reg flex, which felt like a doublelady.

On the zelocity clubheadspeed and ballspeed dropped (could only imagine because of the shaft), and had a launch of 10° and slightly under 5000rpm spin. Do you think there is a chance to stay the launch and get the spin under 3000, with a X head and the right shaft?

Clubheadspeed 110-120; ballspeed(in the cold weather at 10°celcius) 165-170

Difficult thing, as nobody has an X to test and then with the wrong shaft...

Golf Magazines Clubtest 2008

The big L4V gets a good write up!!!

Wins the test for Max Game Improvement drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood