2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mac or Jones Player or Moonlite?

Been playing a 8-10 club set alot this year using an older model Moonlite or my Jones Original Series.

It's time for a new bag and I've got it down to these three.

Pros and cons for each and obviously a huge price difference as well... I find it hard to dump the money into the Mac but I know it will be something I'll have for a very long time. The Jones is the cheaper version... and the Moonlite is just functional and priced well.

I guess I'm just posting this for people to push me over the edge for the Mac... haha

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have the same dilemma, except I'm considering the Jones Utility Rover instead of the Moonlite.

If you want the look of the Mac and Jones player, I'd go Mac.

And I think everyone is going to say the same thing - that there is something "special" about a Mac, and the quality can't be matched, and it will last a very long time, etc, etc.

I'd save the money and go Jones Player series. I am biased though, I love the Jones bags. For the money the quality is amazing IMO. In a couple months you'll be able to get one for 40% most likely... It's hard to pass up that kind of deal. The Macs are nice but I can't see spending that kind of money on a bag, but that's just me. I actually prefer the looks of the Jones, too...

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

> @CamDanger said:

> I have the Moonlite, I like it for the most part but it's a little too floppy. Great balance and construction though.

Could you describe what you mean by a little too floppy?

I really like this version of the moonlite, but I wish the bag had a full spine instead of the half spine. That is the biggest factor holding me back in buying one. I got an original Jones when they first came out and had to stop using it as the bag slouching when it was leaned up against something was a deal breaker for me.

> @hollabachgt said:

> > @CamDanger said:

> > I have the Moonlite, I like it for the most part but it's a little too floppy. Great balance and construction though.

>

> Could you describe what you mean by a little too floppy?

>

> I really like this version of the moonlite, but I wish the bag had a full spine instead of the half spine. That is the biggest factor holding me back in buying one. I got an original Jones when they first came out and had to stop using it as the bag slouching when it was leaned up against something was a deal breaker for me.

You've explained it well. The bag is unstructured and only has the half spine. I like how light and comfortable it is but like you say above, I cannot lean it on anything without it slouching or falling over. it would be nice if the body of the bag was a smaller version of the Ping 4 Series/Hoofer lite with two compartments and no legs.

• 1 month later...

> @Nixhex524 said:

> I'd save the money and go Jones Player series. I am biased though, I love the Jones bags. For the money the quality is amazing IMO. In a couple months you'll be able to get one for 40% most likely... It's hard to pass up that kind of deal. The Macs are nice but I can't see spending that kind of money on a bag, but that's just me. I actually prefer the looks of the Jones, too...

Sorry for jumping into the conversation a little late, but when is the Jones sale and what does it usually include? I'm new to the boutique walking bag world and would love to get one for a deal.

> @steeletaylor said:

> Sorry for jumping into the conversation a little late, but when is the Jones sale and what does it usually include? I'm new to the boutique walking bag world and would love to get one for a deal.

They usually do 40% off the entire site for black Friday. They also do a sale at most major holidays, but closer to 20%-25%.

> @jcolton said:

> > @steeletaylor said:

> > Sorry for jumping into the conversation a little late, but when is the Jones sale and what does it usually include? I'm new to the boutique walking bag world and would love to get one for a deal.

>

> They usually do 40% off the entire site for black Friday. They also do a sale at most major holidays, but closer to 20%-25%.

Yes, this. It's usually 40% and that is a great deal. The Jones bags are quality. I have not found the perfect bag yet so I wouldn't sell it as the best thing ever but as good as anything in the functionality department and top notch on material quality.

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

I have two Jones bags, both Original models. Great quality for a reasonable price. I got my second Jones, when they had a "grab bag" type sale a couple years ago. For $60, I got a black and white original, no flaw or marking whatsoever.

Black Friday deals are 40% off.

Just can't pull the plug, and buy a Mac, though.

I'm biased to the mackenzie...great bag. Have used it all summer and it's been awesome. I'm glad I went the direction I did but I also think that the Jones bag, either the original or the player's series are nice looking bags too. I have never used one so I can't speak to any kind of difference between the Mac or Jones but I was just drawn to the mackenzie and took the plunge. Another bag you might want to consider if the smaller type bag is your thing is the Seamus Fescue Project bag. Looks awesome, it's a little pricey (compared to the Jones, about the same as a Mackenzie) but certainly one that would stand out. I think they are geared towards the smaller sets which is what steered me away from it, but if I were playing a smaller set like you I would be taking a hard look at that one as well. I personally favor the Harris Tweed version...

I went totally off board and went with an original Vessel Sunday Bag. Only carrying 8 clubs in it and it feels excellent. Can't wait to get it out on the course. For days when I bring all the clubs I still have my "bury in the casket with me" camo Hoofer that's been going strong for many years.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I like the Jones bags a lot, have an old school one myself that used to be my Dad’s. But I have an old Pink Karsten bag that I love as well and is my short set or Sunday bag. It has a single dowel rod spin, is light and has plenty of storage. Might be able to find one on eBay for cheap. Just something else to consider......

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

*Ping- it’s actually red....

Modern bag:
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw

Here’s on on the Bay that’s seen some better days but had good pics to show the dowel rod.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312804020916

Modern bag:
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw

• 2 weeks later...

> @3putt4thewin said:

> I'm biased to the mackenzie...great bag. Have used it all summer and it's been awesome. I'm glad I went the direction I did but I also think that the Jones bag, either the original or the player's series are nice looking bags too. I have never used one so I can't speak to any kind of difference between the Mac or Jones but I was just drawn to the mackenzie and took the plunge. Another bag you might want to consider if the smaller type bag is your thing is the Seamus Fescue Project bag. Looks awesome, it's a little pricey (compared to the Jones, about the same as a Mackenzie) but certainly one that would stand out. I think they are geared towards the smaller sets which is what steered me away from it, but if I were playing a smaller set like you I would be taking a hard look at that one as well. I personally favor the Harris Tweed version...

Did you get leather or waxed canvass?

> @"Green Valley" said:

> > @3putt4thewin said:

> > I'm biased to the mackenzie...great bag. Have used it all summer and it's been awesome. I'm glad I went the direction I did but I also think that the Jones bag, either the original or the player's series are nice looking bags too. I have never used one so I can't speak to any kind of difference between the Mac or Jones but I was just drawn to the mackenzie and took the plunge. Another bag you might want to consider if the smaller type bag is your thing is the Seamus Fescue Project bag. Looks awesome, it's a little pricey (compared to the Jones, about the same as a Mackenzie) but certainly one that would stand out. I think they are geared towards the smaller sets which is what steered me away from it, but if I were playing a smaller set like you I would be taking a hard look at that one as well. I personally favor the Harris Tweed version...

>

> Did you get leather or waxed canvass?

I actually went with ballistic nylon being my first foray into this type of golf bag. If I were to do it I would get the waxed canvas. Can't go wrong with either option and I actually called and talked to Nic from Mackenzie before settling on the ballistic. Might be worth a phone call to tell them what you want from the bag and they can help decide which material might work best.