Itinerary for mid April Scotland trip input

Bbo569

So I was lucky enough to get selected for a tee time at the Old Course for mid April and I am not scrambling to set an itinerary. It is 4 guys and we plan to make this trip all about golf, with any other activities being secondary if we have the time. We are all young and fit enough for the number of rounds, but anyone with any experience have any thoughts on which of these would be preferable/realistic (in terms of logistics). Appreciate any input!

Option 1:

4/11 - Arrive

4/12 - Castle Course

4/13 - TOC

4/14 - Jubilee or Crail

4/15 - Carnoustie

4/16 - Royal Troon

4/17 - Turnberry

4/18 - Prestwick

4/19 - Return

Option 2:

4/11 - Arrive

4/12 - Castle Course

4/13 - TOC

4/14 - Muirfield

4/15 - Carnoustie

4/16 - Royal Troon

4/17 - Turnberry

4/18 - Prestwick

4/19 - Return

Option 3:

4/11 - Arrive

4/12 - Castle Course

4/13 - TOC

4/14 - Jubilee or New or Carnoustie

4/15 - Jubilee or New or Carnoustie

4/16 - Muirfield

4/17 - Jubilee or New or Carnoustie

4/18 - North Berwick

4/19 - Return

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the logistics of option 1, but prefer the courses and areas of option 3.

I assume Castle TOC, Muirfield and North Berwick are the only dates which work.

You could clean up the logistics of option 3 by playing Dunbar or Gullane rather than going all the back to St Andrews between Muirfield and NB.

I am always going to say if in Fife, play Elie.

I don't know which airport you arrive, but if Edinburgh it may be fun to play Anstruther on the way to St Andrews.

Happy Hockey

> @"El Gringo" said:

> I like the logistics of option 1, but prefer the courses and areas of option 3.

>

> I assume Castle TOC, Muirfield and North Berwick are the only dates which work.

>

> You could clean up the logistics of option 3 by playing Dunbar or Gullane rather than going all the back to St Andrews between Muirfield and NB.

>

> I am always going to say if in Fife, play Elie.

>

> I don't know which airport you arrive, but if Edinburgh it may be fun to play Anstruther on the way to St Andrews.

>

> Happy Hockey

Thanks for the suggestion on #3. That makes way more sense then back tracking.

I agree that Elie is a must play. Both Crail courses are great. I personally would sub out the Castle Course from your list and replace with Jubilee, New, Elie, or Crail. IMO Castle is your weakest link.

Options 1 and 2 work better logistically than 3. 1 and 2 start in Fife and end up south of Glasgow. With Option 3 You are doubling back and forth between East Lothian and Fife. Wouldn't recommend that...

1 and 2 seem to go Middle East , further north east then south west.

I like the courses on option 2 the best. It would be a fair amount of driving.

I think it would take you about 1 hour 30 on the Edinburgh bypass at least to get between St Andrews and Muirfield, certainly try and drive that at less busy times.

Where are you flying in and out of?

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @Bbo569 said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > do you have a confirmed tee time at muirfield?

>

> I do not, but there are still tee times available for the days I am there based on their website's visitor booking section

during high season, they require you to pay for a 2nd round (discounted) that is alternating shot only, in the afternoon ... so you might want to check on that as it's not explicitly clear that you have to pay for it regardless if you want to use it or not ... might be different for april ... as gringo said, option 3 with a lothian course subbed in for a backtrack to st andrews is the best option ... with berwick, carnoustie, muirfield and toc, that becomes a very nice trip, (along with gullane and the other andrews courses) ...

> @Bbo569 said:

> We are all young and fit

So, you sholud take in consideration playing 2 courses in one day; I remember that in april I played castle course in the morning and the new in the afternoon.

You could play 2 courses of st andrews link in ine day and you could have more options for the other days.

I think you should decide maximum 2 destinations: courses in st andrews area (which includes also carnoustie, kingsbarns, elie, lundin, leven etc.) and another area, which could be muirfield + north berwich + Gullane.

So your option 3 could fit, but you should play all the courses in st. andrews first and then move in the Muirfield area.

so it could be:

4/11 - Arrive

4/12 - Castle Course (+ crail)

4/13 - TOC

4/14 - Jubilee (+ new /elie)

4/15 - Carnoustie

4/16 - Muirfield

4/17 - Gullane (or/and Glen /Musselburgh old)

4/18 - North Berwick

4/19 - Return

Enjoy

> @Bargegolf said:

> I agree that Elie is a must play. Both Crail courses are great. I personally would sub out the Castle Course from your list and replace with Jubilee, New, Elie, or Crail. IMO Castle is your weakest link.

>

> Options 1 and 2 work better logistically than 3. 1 and 2 start in Fife and end up south of Glasgow. With Option 3 You are doubling back and forth between East Lothian and Fife. Wouldn't recommend that...

What is the knock on Castle Course versus those other? Are those more traditional link style or are they just nicer courses?

> @scott_Donald said:

> 1 and 2 seem to go Middle East , further north east then south west.

>

> I like the courses on option 2 the best. It would be a fair amount of driving.

>

> I think it would take you about 1 hour 30 on the Edinburgh bypass at least to get between St Andrews and Muirfield, certainly try and drive that at less busy times.

>

> Where are you flying in and out of?

>

>

Flying into and out of Edinburgh

> @tiderider said:

> > @Bbo569 said:

> > > @tiderider said:

> > > do you have a confirmed tee time at muirfield?

> >

> > I do not, but there are still tee times available for the days I am there based on their website's visitor booking section

>

> during high season, they require you to pay for a 2nd round (discounted) that is alternating shot only, in the afternoon ... so you might want to check on that as it's not explicitly clear that you have to pay for it regardless if you want to use it or not ... might be different for april ... as gringo said, option 3 with a lothian course subbed in for a backtrack to st andrews is the best option ... with berwick, carnoustie, muirfield and toc, that becomes a very nice trip, (along with gullane and the other andrews courses) ...

I looked into that. In April, it is an option to play the second round, but not a requirement. We may do that either way.

> @Bbo569 said:

> > @Bargegolf said:

> > I agree that Elie is a must play. Both Crail courses are great. I personally would sub out the Castle Course from your list and replace with Jubilee, New, Elie, or Crail. IMO Castle is your weakest link.

> >

> > Options 1 and 2 work better logistically than 3. 1 and 2 start in Fife and end up south of Glasgow. With Option 3 You are doubling back and forth between East Lothian and Fife. Wouldn't recommend that...

>

> What is the knock on Castle Course versus those other? Are those more traditional link style or are they just nicer courses?

it's a manufactured course with very, very undulating greens ... reviews here https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/st-andrews-castle ...

> @Mignuz said:

> > @Bbo569 said:

> > We are all young and fit

>

> So, you sholud take in consideration playing 2 courses in one day; I remember that in april I played castle course in the morning and the new in the afternoon.

> You could play 2 courses of st andrews link in ine day and you could have more options for the other days.

> I think you should decide maximum 2 destinations: courses in st andrews area (which includes also carnoustie, kingsbarns, elie, lundin, leven etc.) and another area, which could be muirfield + north berwich + Gullane.

> So your option 3 could fit, but you should play all the courses in st. andrews first and then move in the Muirfield area.

> so it could be:

> 4/11 - Arrive

> 4/12 - Castle Course (+ crail)

> 4/13 - TOC

> 4/14 - Jubilee (+ new /elie)

> 4/15 - Carnoustie

> 4/16 - Muirfield

> 4/17 - Gullane (or/and Glen /Musselburgh old)

> 4/18 - North Berwick

> 4/19 - Return

>

> Enjoy

>

I like where your head is at. We have discussed doing multiple rounds in one day as well.

So here is where things stand as of now. Unfortunately I got out voted on playing at least one round everyday so we now have a golf break day for sight seeing.

4/11 - Arrive in Edinburgh in AM and spend the day site seeing and then travel to St Andrews that evening

4/12 - Castle @ 2:30pm, will probably add a round a New or Jubilee for the morning

4/13 - TOC @ 1:30pm, one round today so we are mentally prepared

4/14 - Wake up and travel to Royal Troon for 2:30pm round

4/15 - NO GOLF (blasphemous) so we can site see on west coast/Glasglow

4/16 - Turnberry - Ailsa course @ 9:15am, possible afternoon round

4/17 - Prestwick @ 10:13am

4/18 - TBD

A couple of questions for those of you in the know:

- What is the best city to stay in on the west coast near Troon, Prestwick, Turberry? We are all in our early 30's/late 20's so something with a little life to it would be great

- Any must see/do in Edinburgh and/or Glasglow?

- Any thoughts on 4/18 TBD round? Didn't realize North Berwick was a no go on Saturdays. We fly out of Edinburgh the next day so no problem relocating for the night to a new area.

Now that you've made your plans, I'll suggest a change. You could spend a full day in Edinburgh doing tourist stuff, so if you could move your Troon reservation to the following day, you could spend 4/14 touring Edinburgh. But there's probably tons of stuff to do along the Ayrshire coast, so maybe its fine to skip Edinburgh.

When I was there last summer, we stayed at the Golf View Guesthouse, just across the street from Prestwick GC. It was a fabulous place to stay, vriendly, comfortable, and great breakfast, but we weren't really too impressed with the town of Prestwick. It just didn't have the variety of pubs and restaurants I enjoyed when I was in St Andrews. I wonder if Troon might be a better option.

For that last Saturday, you might look at Dundonald. A quick check of their online booking site showed times are available. I also looked at Western Gailes, and they don't make visitor bookings until after 3 PM.

> @davep043 said:

> Now that you've made your plans, I'll suggest a change. You could spend a full day in Edinburgh doing tourist stuff, so if you could move your Troon reservation to the following day, you could spend 4/14 touring Edinburgh. But there's probably tons of stuff to do along the Ayrshire coast, so maybe its fine to skip Edinburgh.

>

> When I was there last summer, we stayed at the Golf View Guesthouse, just across the street from Prestwick GC. It was a fabulous place to stay, vriendly, comfortable, and great breakfast, but we weren't really too impressed with the town of Prestwick. It just didn't have the variety of pubs and restaurants I enjoyed when I was in St Andrews. I wonder if Troon might be a better option.

>

> For that last Saturday, you might look at Dundonald. A quick check of their online booking site showed times are available. I also looked at Western Gailes, and they don't make visitor bookings until after 3 PM.

Thanks for the info,

That was actually what we were aiming for but, unfortunately Troon only allows visitors on M, T, TH. Monday is locked at TOC, Wednesday visitors aren't allowed, and Th they have some event or else I would have rearranged with Prestwick and Turnberry.

We will have to get our Edinburgh fix in on day of arrival and even possibly just head there Saturday after a morning round somewhere to remainder of the day before flying out the next.

I am leaning Western Gailes, but saw they were severely vandalized yesterday so might hold off until we know how the course bounces back.

> - What is the best city to stay in on the west coast near Troon, Prestwick, Turberry? We are all in our early 30's/late 20's so something with a little life to it would be great

> - Any must see/do in Edinburgh and/or Glasglow?

I got married at Culzean Castle in September, its is the prime jewel of the National trust so that is certainly worth a morning to look at. Its just 5 minute drive north up the coast from Turnberry.

Turnberry is one nice golf course.

I stayed at Turnberry for the wedding. My sis got an amazing Air Bnb right int he town of Turnberry and there are plenty really nice ones around there.

There is no real party towns or anything really that big down there, Ayr is the biggest town down that way and would certainly have the most to do.

Maybole, Girvan are little towns near by Turrnberry. Troon an Prestwick near Ayr.

For Edinburgh; dungeon tour is wicked, the castle is just like any other big castle and busy.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Troon is a great place to stay, great dining options. I thought Ayr as a town was downright dingy when we spent a morning there. Prestwick has some really good dining options as well and is a really short nothing of a drive from Troon. Not sure about the "life" aspect - some restaurants/pubs I guess are a little more lively, but part of the fun is adapting to what is in front of you and if you are with a fun group you'll have a great time no matter where you go. Give me a nice evening stroll along the very extensive seaside walkway in Troon, but you may not have a hand you want to hold, lol!

> @scott_Donald said:

>

> > - What is the best city to stay in on the west coast near Troon, Prestwick, Turberry? We are all in our early 30's/late 20's so something with a little life to it would be great

> > - Any must see/do in Edinburgh and/or Glasglow?

>

> I got married at Culzean Castle in September, its is the prime jewel of the National trust so that is certainly worth a morning to look at. Its just 5 minute drive north up the coast from Turnberry.

>

> Turnberry is one nice golf course.

>

> I stayed at Turnberry for the wedding. My sis got an amazing Air Bnb right int he town of Turnberry and there are plenty really nice ones around there.

>

> There is no real party towns or anything really that big down there, Ayr is the biggest town down that way and would certainly have the most to do.

>

> Maybole, Girvan are little towns near by Turrnberry. Troon an Prestwick near Ayr.

>

> For Edinburgh; dungeon tour is wicked, the castle is just like any other big castle and busy.

>

>

>

>

Thanks for the info.

Is the dungeon tour super gimmicky and touristy or is it a legit tour? Seems like something we would find interesting if it isn't something spiced up for tourists or kids.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Troon is a great place to stay, great dining options. I thought Ayr as a town was downright dingy when we spent a morning there. Prestwick has some really good dining options as well and is a really short nothing of a drive from Troon. Not sure about the "life" aspect - some restaurants/pubs I guess are a little more lively, but part of the fun is adapting to what is in front of you and if you are with a fun group you'll have a great time no matter where you go. Give me a nice evening stroll along the very extensive seaside walkway in Troon, but you may not have a hand you want to hold, lol!

Definitely not any hands I would want to hold coming on this trip!

Ok, another round of questions to bounce off you fine folks

- Setting up a morning tee time for the day we play Castle Course at 2:30pm. What is the better must play, New or Jubilee?

- The only tee time on my itinerary that isn't confirmed is Royal Troon, but will likely lock that down today. Since we will already be in St Andrews, we could easily scrap that for Carnoustie. What is the better course or which one would you chose if you could only have one?

> @Bbo569 said:

> Ok, another round of questions to bounce off you fine folks

>

> - Setting up a morning tee time for the day we play Castle Course at 2:30pm. What is the better must play, New or Jubilee?

> - The only tee time on my itinerary that isn't confirmed is Royal Troon, but will likely lock that down today. Since we will already be in St Andrews, we could easily scrap that for Carnoustie. What is the better course or which one would you chose if you could only have one?

>

>

Both New and Jubilee are good. Jubilee has some larger dunes, so it stands out a bit as compared to the other courses in and around town.

I've played Carnoustie, and although its a fine demanding golf course, I didn't think it was "charming" in any way. No ocean views, overall flat topography, big hotel behind the 18th green, I haven't played Troon, but I know its next to the Firth of Clyde, it has an old historic clubhouse, and the terrain at neighboring Prestwick is a bit more interesting than at Carnoustie. I think I would choose Troon.

> @Bbo569 said:

>

> Is the dungeon tour super gimmicky and touristy or is it a legit tour? Seems like something we would find interesting if it isn't something spiced up for tourists or kids.

>

All the foreigners I take to Edinburgh do it and love it. There is basically a really old version of Edinburgh under ground.

On the Carnoustie vs Troon.

Views for Troon certainly - islands etc in the distance. Its near the other two you are playing.

Carnoustie to me I would rather play over Troon but that's just me. Both are great golf courses. Turnberry is better layout to both but Carnoustie plays the hardest. You will get the views from Turnberry:

gt2gkt1a8tnt.jpg

m5ojfs79nzoq.jpg

View from the Hotel to the golf course

2pgu4na5s5m9.jpg

My wedding venue and day

imamkkqq0ifa.jpg

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @Bbo569 said:

> > @"El Gringo" said:

> > It's difficult to add The New if you have to be somewhere else in the PM because most of the time you can't really book it as a solo game.

> >

> >

> Others in the group will be playing so that is not an issue.

>

Sorry, not solo as in one person. Solo as in one round. The New is usually a walk up on the day and see what is available course.

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @Bbo569 said:

>

> >

> > Is the dungeon tour super gimmicky and touristy or is it a legit tour? Seems like something we would find interesting if it isn't something spiced up for tourists or kids.

> >

>

> All the foreigners I take to Edinburgh do it and love it. There is basically a really old version of Edinburgh under ground.

>

> On the Carnoustie vs Troon.

>

> Views for Troon certainly - islands etc in the distance. Its near the other two you are playing.

>

> Carnoustie to me I would rather play over Troon but that's just me. Both are great golf courses. Turnberry is better layout to both but Carnoustie plays the hardest. You will get the views from Turnberry:

>

>

> gt2gkt1a8tnt.jpg

>

>

> m5ojfs79nzoq.jpg

>

> View from the Hotel to the golf course

> 2pgu4na5s5m9.jpg

>

> My wedding venue and day

> imamkkqq0ifa.jpg

That settles it, we are going to play Carnoustie since we are set at Turnberry and it seems to fit the logistics better.