2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Winter Walking

> @MountainGoat said:

> Today was my first time walking in over a year, and it was great. My lightweight bag was no problem at all. Perfect off-season weather, too. Here in central Maryland, our basic winter day averages 44/22. When I got out this morning, it was about 35. The issue is always the wind, and there wasn't much. But, if I can't tolerate wind in the teens, then I'll never be able to play. Temps below 32 and winds above 20 mph will keep me in bed. I'm not going out. But, above that, I've got to figure out a way to cope. Today, regular golf shoes and SmartWool socks were more than adequate. My feet were nice and toasty. For pants, I just wear old-school cords. It's the top layers that are the issue. Today was just a turtle neck, sweatshirt and vest. But, that won't be good enough in the wind. Tomorrow will be the real test. Temps in the 30s and winds in the teens. Wind chill will be in the 20s. Could be ugly.

>

Congratulations MG. Getting back to walking a round. I also enjoy walking periodically. Brings a different perspective to playing. Not always possible when playing with the buds, as everyone carts. And as mentioned, some course played are simply not conducive to walking. Primarily because of distances between prior green and next tee. But I enjoy playing solo often, that's when I'll walk. Enjoying the solitude of playing alone. Not having a running conversation with the playing partners. And have a couple favorite course that favor the walker.

Didn't like carrying a bag when I was younger (they never seem to fit on my shoulders quite right), not into carrying now at 68. Even though bag and strap design have come a long ways since then. No matter, really like my three-wheel push cart. Have a smaller bag that I use on it, pare back on the number of clubs (10 is about all I need), easy to maneuver, I'm good to go for a leisurely stroll on the links. I know what times are less crowded, when I can play at my own pace. Hit a couple extra balls if I want to. Let anyone behind me play through if they're playing at a faster pace than me.

For cold and less than optimum conditions, I wear clothing that is not golf-specific. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement. Simply want to stay warm, dry and comfortable while playing. I find that clothing from the outdoor/hiking market offers better quality and utility. Function over style. The most important component starts with a high quality jacket that offers breathability, warmth and wind protection. I "Invested" in a Arc'teryx jacket a few years ago. There are other brands, but this one seemed to fit the best. It wasn't inexpensive, but not that much more than golf specific jackets (some get very expensive) and I thought it to be of higher quality. Geared towards more rugged outdoor use. Focus on one that specially states "wind protection" for the fabric. I layer from there. Starting with a breathable base layer. Then a tech fabric turtleneck. And a pullover wind shell jacket (happens to be a Zero Restriction) as a top layer if needed. I can start with all layers, then peel them off as my core warms up. However, since I don't play when the temps get much below 45*, the jacket is usually all I need.

Will wear a pair of flannel lined pants from L.L. Bean that work just fine. Also, found some pants at Costco a year or so ago (don't recall the brand) on the cheap that work well for slogging around on the golf course in wet and/or cold conditions. A Polertec beanie for the noggin and I'm good to go.

I'm a user of non-golf specific shoes often. Wet conditions, cold. Have a pair of Merrill Gore-Tex hiking shoes that I often wear. Keeps my feet dry. Very comfortable to walk in. Feet don't slip due to a tread pattern that's more aggressive then my usual fair wether spikeless shoes. Quality pair of wool socks, and my feet stay warm, dry and comfortable.

Don't know if or how close you are to a REI store in central Maryland. I have one locally. It's where I go for clothing of this description. To try on, test for fit and comfort, ask some questions. They've been in the business of providing high quality, functional outdoor apparel for a long time.

All of this doesn't make me "look" like a golfer. And absolutely do not care. No where that I play gives a hoot what one wears when the climatic conditions are less than optimum. As a matter of fact, take some satisfaction in precisely NOT looking the part. When it's man against the elements. My 2 cents. Good luck moving forward.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @RSinSG said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

>

> >

> > As for push carts, I just never liked them. It's a personal thing. On a hilly course, they always seemed like more work than carrying. The Sun Mountain Zero G bag that I use is really brilliant in that it puts most of the weight on your hips, not your back. Before the accident I could carry a full bag. Don't get me wrong...it's still a workout. But, at least it's a doable activity.

> >

> My buddy got an electric cart (trolly) from Costco a couple of months ago and he really loves it. It’s like having a caddie carry your bag. There is good info on the model in another thread.

>

> http://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at---all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

>

>

I just got one of these w the automatic speed control and I love it so far.

Gokart.co.uk

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I'm 67 and walk most of my rounds, and I play year round; teed off yesterday morning at 8 am with 39 degrees and 15 mph wind. I'm pretty intentional about all of this, so here are my recommendations:

1. Walk, don't ride; sitting in a cart is a LOT colder than walking, and that doesn't even begin to touch on the other benefits of walking.

2. Get a ClicGear push cart; don't carry. There are two ClicGear accessories that I REALLY recommend, too. One is the ClicGear Mitt that velcros onto the handle of the cart; it's fleece lined, really warm on it's own but can also hold a Hot Hands packet, and is even water resistant. The other is the Bag Cozy, which holds stand bags in place. These add about $50 to the price, and you're done.

3. Go to Costco or Walmart or Amazon or wherever and buy a box of Hot Hands or the like; put a couple in your pockets if it's below 45 degrees. It's well worth the expense and trouble.

4. As to clothes, you can do the following and you're good down to where they'll close the course anyway. These layers will leave you with reasonable flexibility to swing a golf club, given that you're also trying to stay warm.

a. some sort of a base layer; Costco sells a really good CHEAP brand of this, and UnderArmour, though pricey, is great.

b. standard golf shirt

c. fleece vest; REI makes a really good one for a very affordable price.

d. on top of those, wear either a long sleeve windshirt or a GoreTex jacket, your choice, but it obviously has to be something that cuts the wind. Personally, I like a full zip garment for this because it just makes it easier if I want to take off the fleece vest, or change what I'm wearing in any way as the day warms up. (I took off my fleece vest yesterday after 14 holes, for instance.)

e. I usually stick a half sleeve windshirt in my bag in case it warms up enough.

f. either get some lined pants, or a pair of good long john pants; there aren't many days where this is absolutely necessary, it's nice...

Really, I do NOT see how people ride all winter. I had to ride last week in a tournament at the same temperatures and wind that I walked in yesterday; there was just NO comparison it terms of how warm I stayed.

So good luck!