My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24

bortass

8 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You'd be amazed how different people can be, but the reason I asked was to see if you actually have a preshot routine. 

What about your post shot routine? 

Usually either a club twirl or an expletive 😉

• Haha 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

11 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

How does a bad shot affect your next shot?

Hmm... Good question.

I'd say it's inversely proportional to the distance of the bad shot. I.e. the more time I have between the bad shot and the next shot, the less it affects the next shot. If I truly duff something, or chunk a chip 5 feet, and I immediately have to hit the next one, it probably affects me too much. Whereas if I hit a driver 240 but it's off line and I'm in the trees, I'm more centered to handle the next shot as its own problem rather than a continuation of a bad drive. 

That's something I probably need to work on...

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

1 minute ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Hmm... Good question.

I'd say it's inversely proportional to the distance of the bad shot. I.e. the more time I have between the bad shot and the next shot, the less it affects the next shot. If I truly duff something, or chunk a chip 5 feet, and I immediately have to hit the next one, it probably affects me too much. Whereas if I hit a driver 240 but it's off line and I'm in the trees, I'm more centered to handle the next shot as its own problem rather than a continuation of a bad drive. 

That's something I probably need to work on...

I used to have a terrible attitude on the course and my self talk defeated me far more often than anyone I played against. 

I learnt one simple thing that changed that. Smile when you hit a bad shot. It's really hard to be down on yourself and negative when you smile. I mean REALLY hard. 

This changed my golfing life and allowed me to treat those proverbial twin imposters of victory and defeat the same. 

Try it. I reckon it's worth a good five shots at your level. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Saturdays round. I warmed up on the range pre-round and was hitting it well. I did start toi try to get the shaft steeper at the top of my backswing instead of rolling the club like I normally do. I have not practiced this at all and used it as my 'feel' for the entire round.

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. I hit a decent fade with my driver down the right side of the fairway, 220 yards. The hole is back right, behind the bunker, and it's 185ish. I go with my 4w and aim more for the middle and hit a push into the bunker, 171 yards. I'm on the upslope at the back of the green. I hit a decent sand shot out of the bunker but I'm 15 feet short of the hole. The putt is a left to right breaker and I drain it for par, 4.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole is middle front. Arccos says it's around 130 which is an 8i. But I don't want to leave it short since there's bunkers on the left and right front of the green. I hit my 7i and it's heavy. I get a high shot with just a little curve and it lands in the strip of grass between the bunkers and it kicks forward into fringe past the bunkers. I use my putter to chip and the ball rolls about 21 feet and stops 6 inches short... Almost had a birdie but I'll take a tap-in par anytime, 3.

Off to a great start!

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. I hit a decent high fade around the corner, 215 yards, into the right rough. I figure a 4w shot will do nicely. I make contact and I blade it 45 yards down the wet rough. It's never good to see a rooster tail of water right after hitting the ball... I'm in the wet rough still and try my 5i. It's another mishit but at least it goes 113 yards and ends up in the fairway, short of the green. The hole is on the right side and behind bunkers. It's about 70 yards which is a partial SW for me. I don't swing hard enough and it's a high shot, 63 yards, into a bunker. There's no sand and I'm short sided. My sand shot gets out of the bunker but I hit it a touch thin and it rolls into the back fringe. Blah. I chip with my putter to a foot and tap-in for a double bogey, 7.

Well, so much for the great start.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I hit a nice draw but it's a bit low down the middle of the fairway, 206 yards. The hole is middle right and 95ish yards. I hit a partial PW and make great contact. The ball lands on the green and releases some. I'm 15 feet past the hole on the right side but I have a GIR. My birdie putt misses and I have a tap-in from inside 6 inches for my par, 4.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. I'm feeling pretty good and proceed to hit a low pull with my driver into the left trees. I go look for my ball while the guys playing the forward tees tee off because the ball first hit a bush that's even with the forward tees. I'm a good 30-40 yards to the left of the teebox, so the guys there can't see me once they address their ball. I don't see my ball so I drop 93 yards off the tee and I hit a very solid 7i, 157 yards, down the fairway for my layup. A guy in my group drives past the left side and finds my ball about 10 yards further up in the rough... Well that was a costly lesson for me. I'm near the corner and hit my 4w and push it into the trees in the hazard at the corner... I drop and punch a 7i to try to get in position. It's an okay shot that goes 90 yards but I'm through the fairway in the left rough on a slope. The ball is below my feet and 110ish yards. Normally a 9i but I know my swing will be restricted by the slope. I hit my 8i and blade my ball into the tiny stream that fronts the green. Drop again and I hit a nice pitch with my SW, 37 yards, and on the green. I have a 6 foot putt and miss. I tap-in for a smooth +6, 11.

Well I compounded poor execution with bad decision making on this hole and really paid for it. So a great score is now out the window. I just gotta try to hold things together.

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. I aim down the middle and hit a high push fade for the houses on the right. I'm likely OoB and I hit a provisional which is a low draw down the fairway on the left. Sure enough I'm OOB by less than a foot. My provisional is 206 yards off the tee in the fairway on the left. The hole is on the left and I'm in 7w range, 170- 180ish. I hit it a bit fat and the ball heads for the right side of the green and lands to the right of the green, 152 yard shot.I pitch the ball 33 yards and 18 feet short of the hole. The double bogey putt misses and I make the remaining two-footer for a triple bogey, 7.

So much for trying to stop the bleeding...

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. My drive is a very high draw down the middle, 242 yards. The hole is front right and around 95 yards or so. I go with a partial PW and hit a high push, 106 yards, and right of the green. I hit a 12 yard chip from the rough to 3 feet and drain the par putt, 4.

That's better.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The hole is middle right and playing 140ish. I hit my 7i and pure it. I high draw/Pull over the back left side of the green, 183 yards.... Oops. I have a long pitch aka I hit it 42 yards and I'm 21 feet past the hole now. I miss the par putt but only have about 18 inches for bogey, which I make, 4.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. I yell fore as my high push fade heads for a stand of trees on the right that are on #1. My ball hits the trees and lands under them, 152 yards. I have a clear path but can't go for the green. I hit a punched partial AW and miss a tree by about a foot. The ball travels 83 yards and is now in the fairway. The hole is left front on the lower tier and it's 130ish. I figure an 8i at the middle of the green and it'll release towards the hole. Instead I hit a high push, 125 yards, to the back right of the green. I'm 63 feet from the hole and have to go down the tier. I hit the par putt and I'm too low and not hard enough. It reaches the tier early and rolls down the tier and I'm 15 feet short of the hole. It's another 2 putts for my double bogey, 6.

Oh well.

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. My drive is a high push fade into the right trees... I drop 159 yards off the tee and chunk my 7i layup 44 yards. I'm in the fairway and about 150ish out. The hole is back right and I go with my 5i. I thin it and it's a line drive into the front bunker. I'm almost plugged under the lip and I can't go towards the hole with my sand shot. Instead I come out square and get it on the green but I'm 63 feet from the hole. I two putt for a nice triple bogey, 7.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I aim for the leftmost fairway bunker that's through the fairway at the corner with my 7w. I hit a high push draw, 190 yards barely into the fairway on the right side. I don't like my distance since it's 5i. If I was furthe rout I would be fine with a 7w shot. I'm worried about a thin mishit into the stream. I lay up with my SW, 88 yards, and i'm partway down the slope that leads to the stream. I hit another partial SW, 60 yards, and barely get across the stream. I'm short of the green and I use my putter to chip it to 18 inches and have an 'easy' bogey, 5.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I nuke a low draw with my driver 246 yards through the fairway. The hole is back left and a partial SW should do it. I chunk it though and it goes 42 yards landing well short of the green. I pull my 25 yard pitch a bit and I'm 21 feet left of the hole. I miss the par putt 3 feet long and end up with a bogey, 5.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The hole is back right and 135ish. I aim for the middle with my 7i to let the slope feed the ball towards the hole. I hit a high pull 138 yards over the left side of the green. I use my putter to chip and I hit it too firm. I'mm 11 feet past the hole and I miss the par putt. I have another easy 18 inch putt for bogey, 4.

14 – par 4, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. I hit a bit of a pull with my driver and I'm barely in the fairway on the left side, 214 yards. The ball is too far back in my stance for my 4w but I don't backout. So it's a very high push fade towards the pond. The ball only went 140 yards and I'm dry still. I'd have to hit another 4w to try to reach the green and decide to layup with a punched 5i instead. Contact is good and it's a 143 yard shot down the fairway. I'm in a good position. The hole is back left with a pond behind the green and on the right side. I hit a partial SW and it's very solid. It lands on the green and rolls past the hole, 78 yard shot. I have a 19 foot par putt that I miss. My bogey putt is from a foot and make that one, 6.

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side. My drive is a low draw, 200 yards, into the fairway short of the green. The hole is on the front and it's about 45ish yards. I decide to pitch on and don't swing hard enough. The ball goes 33 yards and stops short of the green. I chip it with my SW, 12 yards, to 3 feet and make the par putt, 4.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. The hole is on the right side again and I hit ahigh pull with my 6i that misses the green left, 141 yards. I have a long chip and I hit it okay, 31 yards, and leave it 15 feet short. It's a two putt bogey, 4.

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I aim for the middle with my driver and hit a high push fade into the first fairway bunker on the right side... I use my 9i and hit it a bit heavy but I get out and the ball goes 59 yards. The hole is back right and for some reason I think a partial PW will reach. Well, I'm wrong. It's a high shot 95 yards and a touch left that lands in the front right bunker. I hit my sand shot to 5 feet and drain the bogey putt, 5.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... it's another high push fade down the right side, 201 yards. I'm in the rough and need to layup short of the stream. I aim for the left side of the fairway and punch a little 8i, 116 yards, into position. I want to hit a 6i down the left side to keep the pond out of play. Instead my 6i is a high fade, 153 yards, that crosses the corner of the pond and my ball is just short and left of the green. I got away with one there... My par putt misses and I have a tap-in from inside 6 inches for bogey.

A 50/46 96, not a pretty round but to break 100 with an 11 on the card is fine with me. I actually feel pretty good about things over all with this round.  For GHIN, I posted a 93, which dropped my index to 21.7 which is a new low for me. I was trying to keep the club steeper in my back swing and had decent results. I still struggled but my short game and putting really helped me out. A guy pin out group was telling another guy sitting with us post round that I could be 'good'. Just need to clean up the blow ups. It's nice to get a compliment like that.

birdies: 0

pars: 5

bogeys: 8

double bogeys: 2

triple+: 3

Some stats:

Avg drive: 196 yards

Longest drive: 246 yards

Fairways: 7/14

GIR: 1/18

Avg Approach: 112 yards

Up & down: 7/17

Putts: 30

Strokes gained compared to a 12 HCP. 

Overall: -11.1 strokes

driving: -9.9

Approach: -10.1

Short game: +4.2

Putting: +1.8

• Like 1

It's slowly coming together for you. I'll be honest, I mostly skimmed your last round write up, but it looked to me like you took the good with the bad and didn't let the bad compound things. I feel like yourself and @betarhoalphadelta are at fairly similar places as myself. Able to play some really good golf at times, and even string a few good holes together. But still having those blowup holes now and then and some bad hits mixed into the rest of the round. But all of that seems to be slowly getting less and less frequent for all three of us. It's a process for sure, but we all seem to be embracing the growing pains and getting a little better each time out as a result. If anything, the one thing I've learned over the past 9 months is that swing changes are HARD!! Even small or simple changes. And having the patience to continue working on them, even when it feels like taking two steps backwards, is even harder. It plays tricks on your mind, effects your confidence and can be flat out frustrating. But when you see it all pay off with marked improvement on the course it's all worthwhile and ignites the desire to continue the work. No other way to describe it. And I commend you on your perseverance, it'll all be worth it. I can at least attest to how difficult it is.  

32 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

It's slowly coming together for you. I'll be honest, I mostly skimmed your last round write up, but it looked to me like you took the good with the bad and didn't let the bad compound things. I feel like yourself and @betarhoalphadelta are at fairly similar places as myself. Able to play some really good golf at times, and even string a few good holes together. But still having those blowup holes now and then and some bad hits mixed into the rest of the round. But all of that seems to be slowly getting less and less frequent for all three of us. It's a process for sure, but we all seem to be embracing the growing pains and getting a little better each time out as a result. If anything, the one thing I've learned over the past 9 months is that swing changes are HARD!! Even small or simple changes. And having the patience to continue working on them, even when it feels like taking two steps backwards, is even harder. It plays tricks on your mind, effects your confidence and can be flat out frustrating. But when you see it all pay off with marked improvement on the course it's all worthwhile and ignites the desire to continue the work. No other way to describe it. And I commend you on your perseverance, it'll all be worth it. I can at least attest to how difficult it is.  

Let's hope that Saturday will be the beginning of you singing the praises of the bogey golf game. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Yeah, my write ups get wordy, lol. Maybe I should cut down on the size of them. I have another two rounds to do still, lol.

It’s a rollercoaster. Two weeks ago I play like crap and question things. I take a small bit of stuff I picked up from @glk and I start playing steady golf without even practicing it on the range.

I am real happy with my mental state on the course. Sure that 11 on 5 meant a very good score was not gonna happen but I didn’t let it derail everything. I acknowledged a good score wasn’t gonna happen and moved on.

I did get a smart ball but have yet to open the package. I think it will help with my takeaway issue. Not sure when I’ll be heading to the range next. Hoping to play later today if the weather holds.

I am also curious about my playing lesson tomorrow morning. I had gotten a package of lessons and it included one on the course. I’m looking forward to what will come out of it.

Edited by bortass

2 minutes ago, bortass said:

Yeah, my write ups get wordy, lol. Maybe I should cut down on the size of them. I have another two rounds to do still, lol.

It’s a rollercoaster. Two weeks ago I play like crap and question things. I take a small bit of stuff I picked up from @glk and I start playing steady golf without even practicing it on the range.

I am real happy with my mental state on the course. Sure that 11 on 5 meant a very good score was not gonna happen but I didn’t let it derail everything. I acknowledged a good score wasn’t gonna happen and moved on.

I did get a smart ball but have yet to open the package. I think it will help with my takeaway issue. Not sure when I’ll be heading to the range next. Hoping to play later today if the weather holds.

I am also curious about my playing lesson tomorrow morning. I had gotten a package of lessons and it included one on the course. I’m looking forward to what will come out of it.

Nah, don't shorten them. I enjoy reading through your process for each hole. Was just busy this morning but wanted to respond before I read through it all.

The smart ball I feel has been helpful for me. Mostly for dialing in my takeaway and position at the top. It seems to be nearly impossible to not have a proper takeaway (minus the hands/wrists) and to not be in a good position at the top with the smart ball. My routine has been hitting partial wedges/short irons with the ball then progressing to full swings with various clubs. I'll probably spend half my practice time with the ball and then finish up working on my other issues (hips, weight transfer, pivot, shoulders). It's sort of become a two part practice session where I'm working on the first half of the swing with the smart ball and then from transition on without. 

1 hour ago, BigTerp1524 said:

If anything, the one thing I've learned over the past 9 months is that swing changes are HARD!! Even small or simple changes. And having the patience to continue working on them, even when it feels like taking two steps backwards, is even harder. It plays tricks on your mind, effects your confidence and can be flat out frustrating. But when you see it all pay off with marked improvement on the course it's all worthwhile and ignites the desire to continue the work. No other way to describe it. And I commend you on your perseverance, it'll all be worth it. I can at least attest to how difficult it is.  

Yeah, I agree. I'm still working through the change from my lesson with Monte in March. 

I feel like I'm 90% there... Another month, maybe two so I'm sure I've got it repeatable, and I might be ready to go back to him for another lesson and see what to work on next. 

• Like 2

The course was open Monday thanks to the holiday and I got out to play 18. It was fairly nice out and dry. I went at a relaxed pace the entire round and didn't catch anyone until 18 since the guys I caught on 9 stopped at the turn to have beers and chat in the clubhouse. No warm up and I tried to keep the though of a vertical shaft at the top of my backswing.

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. No warm-up and the first swing of the day is a very nice high draw, 233 yards, down the right side of the fairway. The hole is on the left, so my approach can avoid the bunker. I'm 160ish out and hit my 5i. I can't recall the mishit, either slightly heavy or thin. It travels 144 yards towards the front left of the green, so at least my line was good. I pitch onto the green but it's too much. I needed to go about 30 yards and I went 40 and my ball is in the back fringe. I can use the putter to chip and I leave it 8 feet short from about 13 yards from the hole. Not what I wanted at all. I miss the first putt and have a tap-in for double bogey, 6.

Shoot, that was a real good drive too.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole is front right, behind a bunker. I decide to hit 7i for the middle instead of trying to be cute with an 8i to the front. Contact is good and it's a very high fade to the right of the flag and my ball lands near the right edge of the green towards the back and rolls a bit to the right and maybe 2 feet into the rough, 135 yards. I use my putter to chip again and sent the ball rolling 8 yards and leave myself 8 feet short again. I miss the par putt but this time I leave the ball less than 3 inches short of the hole. Bogey, 4.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. I think there's a tailwind here. My drive is a high fade around the corner, 238 yards, and I'm in the middle of the fairway with a great angle in. it's maybe 210 or so to the green and I hit my 4w. Contact is very solid and it's a bit of fade that's heading for the right side of the green where the hole is. I find my ball in the rough short of the greenside bunkers. It was a 193 yard shot and I now have an eagle chip/pitch from about 26 yards from the hole. My path is down a strip of rough the seperates the two front bunkers. I use my SW and my chip is more left than I wanted. It lands in the fringe, right on the edge of the green, and it kicks to the right and heads for the hole. I watch the ball slowly roll past the hole and I'd say it was within an inch or two of the cup as it meanders on by. I now have a 3 foot birdie putt and drain it, 4!

I am very stoked with what just happened. It helps offset that double on #1.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I aim at the radio tower in the distance and hit my driver. It's a low draw, 230 yards, down the middle. The hole is back left and long is bad. I hit a partial SW and it's good contact but I'm left a touch. My ball lands in the back left fringe, 72 yards. I'm almost pin high, just a bit long and in the fringe. The hole is about 10- 15 feet away. I chip with the putter and I hit it too low. My ball breaks below the hole and I'm left 5 feet out. I'm putting up slope and sink it for par, 4.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. Today I hit a high push fade onto the ridge to the right, 212 yards. I'm in thick rough and can't really advance the ball past the corner. I don't have faith in my ability to hit the ball far enough to not end up in the stream since I almost always mishit the ball out of thick rough and it goes short every time. I chip out with my SW, 43 yards, to set-up a shot past the corner from the fairway. I'm in good position and hit a solid 4w. A nice high draw, 184 yards, into the middle of the fairway. The hole is back right and long is bad because there's a bunker and the hole is near the edge of the tier. It's a partial Sw and I chunk it. The ball goes 59 yards and I'm short of the green, crap. I'm normally good with these shots... I chip with my SW but don't make it up the tier. I'm left with a 12 footer. I'm going up the tier, so i'm not worried about going long. I hit my putt and it's looking good and drops for a bogey, 6.

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. It's a low draw down the left side that only goes 196 yards. I'm in the fairway though and the hole is near the middle and behind the bunker. It's 7w time! I hit a high draw at the right side of the green and the ball land son and rolls into the rough behind the green, 171 yards. I can chip with the putter and it's downslope. The ball won't need much to get going and I hit it decent. The ball rolls 15 yards and stops 3 feet to the right of the hole. I sink the par putt, 4.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. I aim down the middle left as normal and hit a bad low pull, 180 yards, into the left rough. The hole is back right and it's 170ish to center. 7W time again! I hit a great looking draw onto the right side of the green, 179 yards, and i'm 18 feet below and right of the hole. I hit my birdie putt to 3 feet and miss the par putt... Bogey, 5.

Darn. Still feeling good though.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The hole is middle left and about a 7i. I hit a great looking high draw that starts right and comes in to the hole. I'm pretty close from the looks of things. It's a 149 yard shot and I'm 5 feet past and right of the hole. The birdie putt drops, 2!

Well now.....

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. It's another low pull with the driver, 194 yards that's barely in the fairway on the left. It's 160ish to center with pond carry, I'm not feeling frisky so I hit a little punched 5i down the right side of the fairway, 96 yards. The hole is front right and probably 55ish yards. I hit a partial SW and it's too firm. The ball lands on the back right of the green. So a 69 yard shot and i'm 38 feet above the hole and need to putt down the tier. My par putt is terrible and rolls 6 feet long. It's a 3 putt double bogey, 6.

Well I didn't start or end the front great with the two doubles but I am playing great for me!

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. I aim for the far side of the corner and hit a nice draw, 228 , into the fairway on the right edge. The ball is a bit above my feet and I go with my 9i which I hit low and thin. It travels 100 yards and ends up in the rough to the left of the bunker and just short of the crest. I hit an okay chip 6 feet left of the hole and 2 putt for a bogey, 5.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I aim for the leftmost fairway bunker that marks the outside of the corner with my 7w and hit a high push 183 yards and into the fairway on the right. The flag is forward and I should be able to reach with a 6i. I think about it a minute and suddenly feel frisky... I catch the 6i thin and it's in the stream. I drop on my side and pitch with my Sw, 39 yards, and onto the green. I do find my ball in the rocks within the hazard on the far side, so no lost ball this round as of yet. I'm 12 feet past the hole and my bogey putt stops within 3 inches of the hole. Tap-in double, 6.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I hit another solid low draw on this hole and my ball goes 239 yards and through the fairway at the corner. I have a decent lie and it's about 80ish yards. I chunk my partial AW 77 yards and short of the green. My partial wedges are off today for some reason... I chip on to 6 feet and 2 putt for bogey, 5.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The hole is middle back and I aim for it with my 7i. It's uphill and I hit a great looking high draw 143 yards and into the back bunker... My sand shot is down slope and towards the tier. I hit it okay and get out in one but leave it 13 feet short of the hole. My par putt misses and I have 18 inches for bogey, which I make, 4.

14 – par 4, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. I hit a solid high draw down the left side of the fairway and the slope kicks it towards the middle a bit, 243 yards. I have a good lie and aim down the left side with my 4w to keep the pond out of play. I smoke a draw 210 yards and i'm on the right side of the fairway now. The flag is back right and just across the pond. It's partial AW range and I hit it a bit fat. The ball lands on the far bank and rolls back into the pond... I drop and chip the ball on the green. I have 11 feet for bogey and miss it. Double bogey, 7.

Just ruined two very good shots with that fat AW.

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side. I hit a push fade into the right trees which is a normal spot for me. I get to my ball and notice they cut down one of the small trees i'm always under. Back left flag and 70ish yards. I goi with a partial SW and something goes wrong. Near the bottom of my downswing I suddenly pull my hands up and top the ball 40 yards. I dunno if I thought I would hit a root or what. I chip on but it's terrible and I'm 45 feet short of the hole. My par putt goes 6 feet long and it's a 3 putt double bogey, 6.

Sigh.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. Hole is front middle and 7i range. I swing and shank it into the left trees...I drop 102 yards closer to the green and pitch the ball into the bunker... I get the ball out in one but I'm 21 feet past the hole and coming down a tier. I miss the putt and have a 4 footer which is also a miss. Three putts for a quad, 7.

Stick a fork in me.

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I hit a high push fade that lands to the right of the first fairway bunker on the right side and the ball kicks towards the right trees. I actually find it for a change, 197 yards off the tee. It's a blind shot from the rough and over the bunkers. I layup with a 7i and I hit it great. A high draw that goes 153 yards and ends up short of the bunkers fronting the green. I pitch over a bunker and on but I'm 15 feet past the hole. I get my par putt to a foot and have a bogey, 5.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... I hit a thin drive down the left side, 198 yards. Can't try to cross, so I layup with a punched 9i. Contact is solid and it goes 119 yards down the fairway. I aim for the fairway bunkers that mark the outside of the left corner by the green. I don't want to go across the stream and pond to try and reach the green with a 6i or 7w. I layup with my 8i and hit it very solid and it's a high draw, 139 yards, into the rough, short of the bunkers. I have a partail SW in and I pull it. It's a decent looking shot that goes 76 yards and into the back fringe. I chip with my putter to 7 feet and two putt for a double bogey, 7.

A 41/52 93. The 41 is one of my best 9s ever. I'm not sure why I fell apart on the back but I did. I just couldn't keep things going and my wedge game let me down. My putting also got bad at the end. Still I'm quite pleased with how I did out there. It's about potential, I've shot in the very low 40s twice on the front of my home course. I just need to be able to sustain it longer.

birdies: 2

pars: 2

bogeys: 7

double bogeys: 6

triple+: 1

Some stats:

Avg drive: 212 yards

Longest drive: 243 yards

Fairways: 10/14

GIR: 3/18

Avg Approach: 118 yards

Up & down: 3/15

Putts: 35

Overall: -8.5 strokes

driving: +0.1

Approach: -7.4

Short game: +1.4

Putting: -2.6

Got out yesterday morning and this afternoon. I hope to write up yesterday's round tomorrow.

Today was a disaster. Double, par, double, bogey. On 5 a foursome lets me play through. I rush and mishit 4 shots in a row to reach the corner which is just short of a very solid drive for me. I end up with a triple. I follow it up with a penalty free triple and a quad after going OOB with my tee shot on 7. My provisional was topped 100ish yards... Par on 8. Tee off with 4w on 9 and hit a nice one into the fairway. The hole is back left and I hit my 7w. great looking draw that misses the green left and I'm almost on #18. Chip to 7 feet and three putt...

10 starts a new 9. My driver has been dodgy all round, so I use 4w. I top it into a bunch of crap. Retee with driver and I launch it into the right trees. Card a 10 and it never improved. I had a couple bogeys but walked off 18 after my third shot was thin and into the pond. I promptly deleted the round from Arccos.

I was feeling that i should quit on 9 after the mess on 5 -7 but thought I could pull something out. I did learn that bad holes don't bother me. What threw me for a lopop was the horrible string of mishits that sent the ball 40-50 yards at a time with people watch/waiting because they let me play through.  I never got it out of my head and the rest of the round suffered.

Not much else to say except I may have straightened out my driver on 15 by getting my left shoulder under my chin in my backswing. Also I did hit a few very nice irons on the good holes. My 7w was on until my last shot on 18 and the 4w was also solid except on #5 and 10....

It is what it is. Not much else to say.

Have a good one!

2 hours ago, bortass said:

A 41/52 93. The 41 is one of my best 9s ever. I'm not sure why I fell apart on the back but I did. I just couldn't keep things going and my wedge game let me down. My putting also got bad at the end. Still I'm quite pleased with how I did out there. It's about potential, I've shot in the very low 40s twice on the front of my home course. I just need to be able to sustain it longer.

Don't get down on yourself after that round. Not only is a 93 pretty good, a 41 on the front is exceptional.

I had a really good front 9 on the short/easy course I play of +2, and then went +13 on the back. Oops! But even so, that was a good round that's still counted in my handicap calculation. 

52 is a rough back nine, but it's not a "fall apart" back nine for guys like us who can expect to shoot in the mid-high 90s and occasional triple digits on a reasonably tough 18-hole course. 

Sounds like a nice round to me. 

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Don't get down on yourself after that round. Not only is a 93 pretty good, a 41 on the front is exceptional.

I had a really good front 9 on the short/easy course I play of +2, and then went +13 on the back. Oops! But even so, that was a good round that's still counted in my handicap calculation. 

52 is a rough back nine, but it's not a "fall apart" back nine for guys like us who can expect to shoot in the mid-high 90s and occasional triple digits on a reasonably tough 18-hole course. 

Sounds like a nice round to me. 

It was an excellent round. I’m bummed by what happened on the back only because of what could have been 😋 Otherwise I’m very happy with it. A 41 with a couple doubles is nothing to sneeze at IMO. It’s really a spirit lifter knowing I can do it. Sure I’m a 90s golfer but I can play 9 once in a great while like someone who shoots in the low 80s.

I guess I used the wrong wording because I didn’t fall apart per se. It really was more of my C game showing up after playing my A game. I think I only made one poor decision which was the 6i shot on 11.

Execution issues felt like it was my wedges. I rely on them and consider them a strength but they were off just enough to cost me. I think my wedges were fine yesterday, so it’s not a trend as of yet.

Speaking of yesterday’s round, it was also fairly solid. So three pretty decent rounds in a row(I’m pretending I didn’t play today…).

The pieces are there and it’s a question of when they all click reasonably well for 18 holes.

I’m feeling real good with a wood in my hands off the deck. My irons may be getting better too. The ball seems to be going a touch further a bit more often. Short game is better, not perfect but the big errors aka blades and duffs are extremely rare.

Life is good 😊

14 hours ago, bortass said:

The course was open Monday thanks to the holiday and I got out to play 18. It was fairly nice out and dry. I went at a relaxed pace the entire round and didn't catch anyone until 18 since the guys I caught on 9 stopped at the turn to have beers and chat in the clubhouse. No warm up and I tried to keep the though of a vertical shaft at the top of my backswing.

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. No warm-up and the first swing of the day is a very nice high draw, 233 yards, down the right side of the fairway. The hole is on the left, so my approach can avoid the bunker. I'm 160ish out and hit my 5i. I can't recall the mishit, either slightly heavy or thin. It travels 144 yards towards the front left of the green, so at least my line was good. I pitch onto the green but it's too much. I needed to go about 30 yards and I went 40 and my ball is in the back fringe. I can use the putter to chip and I leave it 8 feet short from about 13 yards from the hole. Not what I wanted at all. I miss the first putt and have a tap-in for double bogey, 6.

Shoot, that was a real good drive too.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole is front right, behind a bunker. I decide to hit 7i for the middle instead of trying to be cute with an 8i to the front. Contact is good and it's a very high fade to the right of the flag and my ball lands near the right edge of the green towards the back and rolls a bit to the right and maybe 2 feet into the rough, 135 yards. I use my putter to chip again and sent the ball rolling 8 yards and leave myself 8 feet short again. I miss the par putt but this time I leave the ball less than 3 inches short of the hole. Bogey, 4.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. I think there's a tailwind here. My drive is a high fade around the corner, 238 yards, and I'm in the middle of the fairway with a great angle in. it's maybe 210 or so to the green and I hit my 4w. Contact is very solid and it's a bit of fade that's heading for the right side of the green where the hole is. I find my ball in the rough short of the greenside bunkers. It was a 193 yard shot and I now have an eagle chip/pitch from about 26 yards from the hole. My path is down a strip of rough the seperates the two front bunkers. I use my SW and my chip is more left than I wanted. It lands in the fringe, right on the edge of the green, and it kicks to the right and heads for the hole. I watch the ball slowly roll past the hole and I'd say it was within an inch or two of the cup as it meanders on by. I now have a 3 foot birdie putt and drain it, 4!

I am very stoked with what just happened. It helps offset that double on #1.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I aim at the radio tower in the distance and hit my driver. It's a low draw, 230 yards, down the middle. The hole is back left and long is bad. I hit a partial SW and it's good contact but I'm left a touch. My ball lands in the back left fringe, 72 yards. I'm almost pin high, just a bit long and in the fringe. The hole is about 10- 15 feet away. I chip with the putter and I hit it too low. My ball breaks below the hole and I'm left 5 feet out. I'm putting up slope and sink it for par, 4.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. Today I hit a high push fade onto the ridge to the right, 212 yards. I'm in thick rough and can't really advance the ball past the corner. I don't have faith in my ability to hit the ball far enough to not end up in the stream since I almost always mishit the ball out of thick rough and it goes short every time. I chip out with my SW, 43 yards, to set-up a shot past the corner from the fairway. I'm in good position and hit a solid 4w. A nice high draw, 184 yards, into the middle of the fairway. The hole is back right and long is bad because there's a bunker and the hole is near the edge of the tier. It's a partial Sw and I chunk it. The ball goes 59 yards and I'm short of the green, crap. I'm normally good with these shots... I chip with my SW but don't make it up the tier. I'm left with a 12 footer. I'm going up the tier, so i'm not worried about going long. I hit my putt and it's looking good and drops for a bogey, 6.

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. It's a low draw down the left side that only goes 196 yards. I'm in the fairway though and the hole is near the middle and behind the bunker. It's 7w time! I hit a high draw at the right side of the green and the ball land son and rolls into the rough behind the green, 171 yards. I can chip with the putter and it's downslope. The ball won't need much to get going and I hit it decent. The ball rolls 15 yards and stops 3 feet to the right of the hole. I sink the par putt, 4.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. I aim down the middle left as normal and hit a bad low pull, 180 yards, into the left rough. The hole is back right and it's 170ish to center. 7W time again! I hit a great looking draw onto the right side of the green, 179 yards, and i'm 18 feet below and right of the hole. I hit my birdie putt to 3 feet and miss the par putt... Bogey, 5.

Darn. Still feeling good though.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The hole is middle left and about a 7i. I hit a great looking high draw that starts right and comes in to the hole. I'm pretty close from the looks of things. It's a 149 yard shot and I'm 5 feet past and right of the hole. The birdie putt drops, 2!

Well now.....

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. It's another low pull with the driver, 194 yards that's barely in the fairway on the left. It's 160ish to center with pond carry, I'm not feeling frisky so I hit a little punched 5i down the right side of the fairway, 96 yards. The hole is front right and probably 55ish yards. I hit a partial SW and it's too firm. The ball lands on the back right of the green. So a 69 yard shot and i'm 38 feet above the hole and need to putt down the tier. My par putt is terrible and rolls 6 feet long. It's a 3 putt double bogey, 6.

Well I didn't start or end the front great with the two doubles but I am playing great for me!

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. I aim for the far side of the corner and hit a nice draw, 228 , into the fairway on the right edge. The ball is a bit above my feet and I go with my 9i which I hit low and thin. It travels 100 yards and ends up in the rough to the left of the bunker and just short of the crest. I hit an okay chip 6 feet left of the hole and 2 putt for a bogey, 5.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I aim for the leftmost fairway bunker that marks the outside of the corner with my 7w and hit a high push 183 yards and into the fairway on the right. The flag is forward and I should be able to reach with a 6i. I think about it a minute and suddenly feel frisky... I catch the 6i thin and it's in the stream. I drop on my side and pitch with my Sw, 39 yards, and onto the green. I do find my ball in the rocks within the hazard on the far side, so no lost ball this round as of yet. I'm 12 feet past the hole and my bogey putt stops within 3 inches of the hole. Tap-in double, 6.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I hit another solid low draw on this hole and my ball goes 239 yards and through the fairway at the corner. I have a decent lie and it's about 80ish yards. I chunk my partial AW 77 yards and short of the green. My partial wedges are off today for some reason... I chip on to 6 feet and 2 putt for bogey, 5.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The hole is middle back and I aim for it with my 7i. It's uphill and I hit a great looking high draw 143 yards and into the back bunker... My sand shot is down slope and towards the tier. I hit it okay and get out in one but leave it 13 feet short of the hole. My par putt misses and I have 18 inches for bogey, which I make, 4.

14 – par 4, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. I hit a solid high draw down the left side of the fairway and the slope kicks it towards the middle a bit, 243 yards. I have a good lie and aim down the left side with my 4w to keep the pond out of play. I smoke a draw 210 yards and i'm on the right side of the fairway now. The flag is back right and just across the pond. It's partial AW range and I hit it a bit fat. The ball lands on the far bank and rolls back into the pond... I drop and chip the ball on the green. I have 11 feet for bogey and miss it. Double bogey, 7.

Just ruined two very good shots with that fat AW.

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side. I hit a push fade into the right trees which is a normal spot for me. I get to my ball and notice they cut down one of the small trees i'm always under. Back left flag and 70ish yards. I goi with a partial SW and something goes wrong. Near the bottom of my downswing I suddenly pull my hands up and top the ball 40 yards. I dunno if I thought I would hit a root or what. I chip on but it's terrible and I'm 45 feet short of the hole. My par putt goes 6 feet long and it's a 3 putt double bogey, 6.

Sigh.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. Hole is front middle and 7i range. I swing and shank it into the left trees...I drop 102 yards closer to the green and pitch the ball into the bunker... I get the ball out in one but I'm 21 feet past the hole and coming down a tier. I miss the putt and have a 4 footer which is also a miss. Three putts for a quad, 7.

Stick a fork in me.

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I hit a high push fade that lands to the right of the first fairway bunker on the right side and the ball kicks towards the right trees. I actually find it for a change, 197 yards off the tee. It's a blind shot from the rough and over the bunkers. I layup with a 7i and I hit it great. A high draw that goes 153 yards and ends up short of the bunkers fronting the green. I pitch over a bunker and on but I'm 15 feet past the hole. I get my par putt to a foot and have a bogey, 5.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... I hit a thin drive down the left side, 198 yards. Can't try to cross, so I layup with a punched 9i. Contact is solid and it goes 119 yards down the fairway. I aim for the fairway bunkers that mark the outside of the left corner by the green. I don't want to go across the stream and pond to try and reach the green with a 6i or 7w. I layup with my 8i and hit it very solid and it's a high draw, 139 yards, into the rough, short of the bunkers. I have a partail SW in and I pull it. It's a decent looking shot that goes 76 yards and into the back fringe. I chip with my putter to 7 feet and two putt for a double bogey, 7.

birdies: 2

pars: 2

bogeys: 7

double bogeys: 6

triple+: 1

Some stats:

Avg drive: 212 yards

Longest drive: 243 yards

Fairways: 10/14

GIR: 3/18

Avg Approach: 118 yards

Up & down: 3/15

Overall: -8.5 strokes

driving: +0.1

Short game: +1.4

Putting: -2.6

Well played and don't be hard on yourself. It's such a common problem for the later part of a good round to get ragged. 

Do you keep score as you play? It's very helpful to forget it, take every shot as it comes and just focus on your routine. 

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Well played and don't be hard on yourself. It's such a common problem for the later part of a good round to get ragged. 

Do you keep score as you play? It's very helpful to forget it, take every shot as it comes and just focus on your routine. 

Yes, I keep score. I write down the number and move on. I don’t total the score until after I have finished on 18. The scorecard is my ‘official’ score. Arccos tends to add and drop the occasional putt here and there. So my card helps me fix Arccos and is used when I post my score.

I haven’t gotten to the point where I can ignore my score completely and not keep one. The best I’ve done is to just keep score and ignore the stats I used to track manually but that was only for a few brief periods of time.

4 minutes ago, bortass said:

Yes, I keep score. I write down the number and move on. I don’t total the score until after I have finished on 18. The scorecard is my ‘official’ score. Arccos tends to add and drop the occasional putt here and there. So my card helps me fix Arccos and is used when I post my score.

I haven’t gotten to the point where I can ignore my score completely and not keep one. The best I’ve done is to just keep score and ignore the stats I used to track manually but that was only for a few brief periods of time.

Sorry, I meant do you know where you are in relation to par/your handicap? I'm just wondering how knowing you were playing well after nine might affect your back nine. 

The mental game is such a tightrope, but when you find that place between wanting to do well and not really caring if you don't you'll be a good place to play your best golf... or at least not be knocked off balance. 

First off, nice front on Monday. A 41 is super solid!!! I tend to not pull the front and back together very well myself. Sometimes is a great front and crappy back, or vise-versa. No reason in particular it seems either. For me though, putting a good score together for 9 holes is an accomplishment, no matter how the other 9 went. Let's me know it's just a matter of time before those 9 holes become 12, then 15, then 18. You're well on your way to putting it all together!!

4 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Sorry, I meant do you know where you are in relation to par/your handicap? I'm just wondering how knowing you were playing well after nine might affect your back nine. 

The mental game is such a tightrope, but when you find that place between wanting to do well and not really caring if you don't you'll be a good place to play your best golf... or at least not be knocked off balance. 

Both @bortass and yourself have been telling me for months to not keep score. There is no way I can do that. I like having the stats and information to look back on and see where I could save some strokes throughout my round, plus my scoring app is helping me get my club distances dialed in. What I have done, as @TheDeanAbides said above, is not keep track of my score as I'm playing. I'll log each shot and putt, but try to ignore the total. The most eye opening thing for me happened my last round. Shot a 47 on the front and felt pretty good about myself. First hole on the back and I scored a 9 on the #10 par 4. +5 to start the back!!! From that point forward I completely let go of the thought of breaking 100, paying attention to my score and just focused on each shot individually. World of difference playing that way. Finished the back with 2 doubles and 6 bogeys, 5 of those in a row. REALLY consistent golf for a guy like me. The mental game of golf is something I never gave much credence to. But it's a HUGE part of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

First off, nice front on Monday. A 41 is super solid!!! I tend to not pull the front and back together very well myself. Sometimes is a great front and crappy back, or vise-versa. No reason in particular it seems either. For me though, putting a good score together for 9 holes is an accomplishment, no matter how the other 9 went. Let's me know it's just a matter of time before those 9 holes become 12, then 15, then 18. You're well on your way to putting it all together!!

Both @bortass and yourself have been telling me for months to not keep score. There is no way I can do that. I like having the stats and information to look back on and see where I could save some strokes throughout my round, plus my scoring app is helping me get my club distances dialed in. What I have done, as @TheDeanAbides said above, is not keep track of my score as I'm playing. I'll log each shot and putt, but try to ignore the total. The most eye opening thing for me happened my last round. Shot a 47 on the front and felt pretty good about myself. First hole on the back and I scored a 9 on the #10 par 4. +5 to start the back!!! From that point forward I completely let go of the thought of breaking 100, paying attention to my score and just focused on each shot individually. World of difference playing that way. Finished the back with 2 doubles and 6 bogeys, 5 of those in a row. REALLY consistent golf for a guy like me. The mental game of golf is something I never gave much credence to. But it's a HUGE part of the game. 

The mental game is where the biggest gains can be made with the least effort. 

• Like 1

Tuesday's round with the seniors. They do a shotgun start and my group was 16B. I did my normal warmup on the range and it went well over all. I was hitting my 7i pretty good. Weather was warm and a touch humid. A fair amount of dew on the course.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. The hole is middle front and about an 8i. I mishit my 8i and it's short, 128 yards, and into the trap. I'm able to get it out in 1 but I'm 11 feet past the hole now. My par putt comes up 4 feet short and it's a 3 putt for double bogey, 5.

Awesome start...

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I hit a high push fade, 218 yards, with driver over the right fairway bunkers. My ball kicks right and heads for the woods... I actually find it next to the cart path and I just punch a 9i up over the bunkers and back into the fairway, 111 yards. The hole is middle back and in SW range. I hit a partial SW onto the green, nice and high and the ball is 24 feet past the hole, 69 yard shot. My par putt comes up 6 feet short and it's another 3 putt double bogey.

Well I suck today...

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... My drive is a pull into the left trees.... My provisional is a decent draw down the middle. I only find some deer in the trees, no ball. My provisional is 219 off the tee and in decent position. I Hit 4w across the stream and it's a high fade and a bit more right than I want. The ball lands near the pond and stops short of rolling in. The hole is front left and I have a good angle in. I hit another partial SW and it's a high pull to the back left of the green, 69 yards. I'm 24 feet above the hole and putting down the tier. I hit my putt and it breaks low and I have 18 inches left for double, which I make, 7.

Lol, wonder when I won't card a double?

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. This drive is a 'nice' high push fade into #9 that I yell fore with... I'm 193 off the tee and in the middle of #9's fairway. I have a good angle to the green with my 4w and I pull it a touch. The ball takes off and strikes a tree branch which knocks it down in the right rough of #1. the hole is front right and I hit my 9i. It's wet rough and I'm expecting a bit of a flyer and I get it. My shot goes 133 yards and over the back left of the green. I hit a 24 yard pitch to 7 feet. My bogey putt dies 3 inches from the hole. Double bogey, 6.

I am nothing if not consistent this round.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole is front left behind a bunker. I hit 7i which should reach the middle of the green. It's heavy and off the toe. A high draw into said bunker, 120 yards. This bunker has barely any sand in it and some rocks that are the size of my hand. I hit my sand shot and I get out and 6 feet long. My par putt again stops within 3 inches, so bogey, 4.

Only took 5 holes to not card a double! I am so good!

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. Puch slice into right trees. Provisional is push slice into right trees. The guys i'm with find my balls, 135 off the tee. I can only try to come out at 90* and get back into play. I chip with my 7i, 27 yards, and get my ball into the right rough. From there I hit my 5i thin and it only goes 134 yards... Not the shot I should have hit. The hole is back left and I have an angle. I hit my 7w and it's a high push fade, 163 yards, that lands in the rough between the front bunkers on the right. I chip the ball 28 yards to 12 feet. Not great... My bogey putt again stops within 3 inches, double bogey, 7.

Back on the dbl bogey train! I can laugh about it now but I wasn't feeling all that great on the course with my play.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I hit a high push fade towards the right trees. It should be fine though. Well I find the ball in the rough just to the left of the cart path 135 yards off the tee. I guess my ball hit a tree or something after all. The hole is forward and about 150- 160ish. I hit mjy 5i and it's a weak pull, 137 yards, into the front left bunker. I barely get my sand shot out and I'm 45 feet short of the hole, lol. My par putt is 6 feet long... Another 3 putt double bogey, 6.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. I hit a great draw down the right side, 228 yards, and into the fairway. I have a good lie and and angle past the corner. I hit my 4w and it's a decent shot, 168 yards into the fairway on the left. The hole is middle front and around 100 yards. I decide to hit a partial 9i. Contact is good and the ball lands on the green and releases left. I'm 39 feet from the hole and hit my birdie putt. It's tracking good and I have 18 inches for par, which I make, 5.

8 holes in and I have a par!

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. My drive is a low draw towards the right side, 201 yards. I'm barely in the fairway on the right but have a good lie. The hole is front right and 170ish. A 7w is in order! I hit a very solid push that has no chance to land on the green because I'm so far right. My ball is in the right rough behind the green, 184 yard shot. This is thick Bermuda and it's sitting down. I somehow manage to pitch it 37 yards and onto the green. The problem is I'm 27 feet right of the hole... My par putt stops about 2 feet out and I have a bogey, 5.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. I smoke a high draw down the right side, 248 yards. The hole is front right and I have a tailwind. I hit a partial AW and I';m a bit too firm. The ball lands on the green, 97 yards, and i'm 18 feet past the hole. I hit the birdie putt to 2 feet and make my par, 4.

Okay, I am feeling like a golfer again.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. Hole is forward and I hit my 8i. I nuke it... A high draw, 154 yards, into the middle right fringe. I hit an 11 yard chip with my putter to 2 feet. The par putt drops, 3.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. I hit a low runner with my driver, 204 yards, down the middle. The hole is back left and 160ish. I feel fine going for it and over the pond with my 5i since I have 20 yards of wiggle room. I hit a solid high push, 160 yards over the right side of the green and the back bunker. I pitch over the bunker, 22 yards, with my SW into the back left fringe. I use my putter to chip it to 3 feet and I sink the bogey putt, 5.

I'm feeling better about things. I'm just trying to play one hole at a time even though I'm not doing great.

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. I hit a high push fade almost into the right trees, 195 yards. I figure I'll punch a little 8i down to the flat area that's inside 100 yards. I top it 28 yards instead. The hole is back left and I go with my 6i. I hit a low pull that bounces on the cart path a few times and into the left trees. I drop and hit a pitch short of the green. A chip with putter on to 12 feet and a two putt for a nice quad, 8.

Such talent.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I aim for the fairway bunkers in the distance and nutt my 7w. It's a high draw 207 yards and through the fairway. I'm in the rough between the fairway bunkers with a decent lie. The flag is front right. I hit my 8i and it's very solid. A high draw over the front left corner of the green, 142 yards, and into the bunker on the left side. I hit my ball out in 1 and am 12 feet above the hole, sigh. I hit the par putt and it drops, 4.

Phew.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. It's a very high push fade into the fairway bunker that guards the corner to the right. The hole is towards the middle and I remember to take 1 more club and choke down a ½ inch. So I do that with my 8i and I hit a great looking shot, 127 yards, into the back fringe. I chip with my putter to 2 feet and make the par putt, 4.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The hole is back left. I hit my 7i and it's a bit of a pull, 129 yards into the left back rough. I have to chip from well above the green and I hit it well. The ball lands and rolls to 3 feet. I drain the par putt, 3.

14 – par 4, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. I hit a decent drive down the left side, 225 yards. The ball landed in the left rough and kicked back towards the fairway. I'm still in the left rough with the ball below my feet. I take my 4w and aim down the left side. Contact is real thin and it's a wormburner that goes 152 yards down the left side and stays in the rough. I have no good shot into the green from here and I just hit a partial 9i about 97 yards to get into the fairway and closer to the green. The hole is middle right which is near the pond. I hit a partial AW and it's heavy. Luckily my approach is not crossing the pond and it's a high shot that goes 68 yards and land son the green. I'm 48 feet short of the hole and my par putt gets to 3 feet. I sinke the next one for bogey, 6.

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft and cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side. I hit a push fade into the right trees. I find the ball and use my 5i to chip out and a bit forward. The ball only goes 31 yards but at least I have a shot now. The hole is back left and I hit a partial SW. I take too much off it and it only goes 46 yards, land son the green and I'm 27 feet short of the hole. I get the par putt to 3 feet and make the bogey putt, 5.

A 45/48 for 93. This round was much better than expected with all of those doubles. I wasn't hitting the ball great but I think I did okay managing things out there. This round dropped my index to a new low of 21.6. I'm happy to have come away with a decent score.

pars: 6

bogeys: 5

double bogeys: 5

Triple bogey+: 2

Some stats:

Avg drive: 202 yards

Longest drive: 248 yards

Fairways: 5/14

GIR: 2/18

Avg Approach: 122 yards(lol)

Up & down: 4/12

Putts: 34

Overall: - 8.3 strokes

driving: -4.9

Approach: -5.2

Short game: +2.6

Putting: -0.8

• Like 1

Playing lesson time. It was literally playing a round with the pro and a couple other guys with some tidbits thrown in here and there. I warmed up like I normally do when it's not a day that I just show up and tee off. I was losing the ball to the right on the range with my 7i. My pitches and chips were good though.

I'm finally caught up in the write ups and plan to play 18 again tomorrow...

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. My tee shot is a high push fade towards the trees between 1 and 9. It was a 203 yard shot and I can either hit a low punch through the trees and towards the green or a low punch to the left side of the fairway and try to get closer to the green. I grab my 5i and hit towards the green. My ball hits a tree and kicks into the middle of #9, a 43 yard shot of pure stupidity. The hole is middle back and I hit my 4w. It's a low thin draw that lands in the front bunker that guards the right side. I blade my sand shot over the green and into the back fringe( 39 yard shot). I'm on the back of a mound chipping to the hole which is fairly close. I use my SW and hit it nicely. The ball lands in the fringe and rolls at the hole and drops! I saved my bogey, 5.

That was damn lucky....

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The flag is front left and I hit my 8i. Contact is good but it's a push without much curve, 126 yards, and i'm in the right rough next to the green. I chip with my SW and pull it a bit which leaves me 18 feet short of the hole. I putt it to 2 feet and walk off with a bogey, 4.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. I hit a solid high fade 226 yards around the corner and into the fairway. I go with my normal 4w and mishit it. It's a weak fade that only goes 163 yards. It's okay though. I'm well inside 100 yards and in the fairway still. The hole is on the right side and it's about 60 yards away. I take a bit off my SW and hit a great looking high shot right at the flag. It's a 63 yard shot and i'm 9 feet past the hole. I miss the birdie putt but have a tap-in par, 5.

I'm feeling pretty good overall.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. My drive is a low pull into the left rough. It's wet grass and sitting down. The hole is back right and I figure a 9i into the green. Big mistake! The rough smothers the club head as it comes in shallow. I advance the ball about 9 yards and stay in the rough. Try again and I manage to hit it 92 yards and into a bunker. I barely get the ball out in one and am in the fringe. I chip with my putter about 24 yards and through the green...Chip again to 3 feet and I make the putt for a triple bogey, 7.

I talk to the pro about how to hit out of the rough and he explains it. Ball back and come in steep. I use that shot later in the round with better results.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. I smoke a mid height draw down the middle, 243 yards. I have a great angle and lie. I hit my 4w and it's pretty decent. A fade that goes 184 yards and sets me up in the fairway on the elft and inside 100 yards. The hole is front right and there's a pretty good tailwind. I hit a partial SW and take a bit off it. The wind helps and it's a 72 yard shot onto the green and 5 feet short of the hole! I miss the birdie putt and tap-in for par, 5.

I played both par 5s great!

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. I hit a low draw towards the right side, 233 yards. I'm in the fairway and the hole is front left and 140ish. I hit my 6i and it's a high draw into the green. My ball is not 12 feet above the hole. Another great shot for me. My birdie putt goes a couple oif feet long and I screw up and miss the par putt. Bogey, 5.

That hurt. I did great and screwed up a simple putt.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. I hit another high draw on this hole like I did a few days ago, 246 yards, and into the fairway. The hole is front right and I hit a partial PW. It's too firm and my ball land son the green but I'm 15 feet long. I hit my birdie putt and go 5 feet long.... I manage to sink the par putt.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The hole is middle right and we have the wind in our face, about 10 MPH. I club up to 6i and make solid contact but it's a high push, 172 yards, and past the back of the green off to the right. I have a blind pitch and don't hit it hard enough. Now I'm in the rough on a down slope. The green slopes away and the ball is sitting down. I hack the ball onto the green and 23 feet past the hole... I two mputt for a double bogey, 5.

Now that really hurt. A fairly easy par 3 and I mess it all up.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. I hit a mid height draw down the right side and watch as it bounces down the cart path, 251 yards. The hole is front left. I take relief and I have two options. Punch a low shot over the pond and at the hole or punch a low shot to the right of the green. I opt for the safe option this time and punch my 6i. It lands short of the green, back right, and rolls along the back fringe/rough. 121 yard shot and I'm in the rough almost directly above the hole. I chip with my putter and mess up my read. The ball misses high well past the hole, it had no chance, and it rolls off the front of the green. I try again and get the ball to a foot. Bogey, 5

Crap.

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. The tees are on the left which makes the hole harder. I hit a high push fade, 215 yards into the right rough. My first though is layup mwith a little AW to the flat area short of the green. I look at things and think I can punch a 7i to the left front( hole is back right and I have no shot there). I hit the 7i and it's a big mistake. It's a low push down the right side 84 yards. I'm now dealing with branches that make it hard to hit my normal partial wedge shot. I try to punch my SW up to the green and it hits a branch and drops. I advanced the ball 26 yards... I hit another pitch and i'm in the back right fringe. I chip with my putter to 2 feet and come away with a double bogey, 6.

That was just dumb on my part.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I nuke my 7w towards the bunkers at the outside of the corner. It's a 217 yard shot and i'm in the rough just short of them. The hole is front left and a 9i should do the trick. I swing and it's heavy and off the toe. My ball lands in the stream... I drop near the stream and hit a pitch across and into the left fringe. Chip with putter to 6 feet and two putt for a triple bogey, 7.

I suck.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I hit my driver and all I can say is holy crap. A high draw down the left side 261 yards through the fairway and almost into the hazard area past the rough. I am about 55 yards from the front of the green. The hole is on the left but I don't know if it's front or back. I hit an easy partial SW and it's a high shot 56 yards and onto the green. I'm 20 feet short of the hole and get the birdie putt to 2 feet. I make the par putt, 4.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. I'm feeling real good as I get ready toi tee off. The hole is back right and an 8i. I chunk it 75 yards... My pitch up to the green with my SW is too firm and i'm off the back, 63 yard shot. I have too mjuch rough to deal with and chip with my SW. The ball lands on the green rolls towards the hole and reaches the tier and I end up 24 feet belowe the hole. My bogey putt gets to 2 feet and I make the double bogey putt, 5.

I suck again.... 😉

14 – par 4, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. I hit a solid fade down the left side, 243 yards. I'm in the middle with a good lie and I aim left with my 4w. I blade it 161 yards... Damn. The hole is back left and 8i range. I don't trust the shot though and my aim is a bit right. I make contact and I smoke the 8i, high draw 151 yards into the back left bunker. It takes 2 to get out barely. I chip with my putter to 2 feet and walk off with a double bogey 7.

I should have gone for the hole and trusted myself to not hit a weak push into the pond. My sand game bites...

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side. I hit a dead straight ball at thew green, 217 yards, and i'm in a fairway bunker. It's 30ish yards to a forward pin. I mess up the sand shot and the ball comes out weak and right, 18 yards. I chip from the fringe and the ball heads towards the hole and stops 1 inch short... Almost another chip in. I make the par putt, 4.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. Hole is on the right and a strong wind in out faces. I hit my 6i and it's pure but a push into the right trees near the green. I drop in the rough and the ball settles down. I chip with my SW and end up 18 feet above the hole. I get my bogey putt to a foot. Double bogey, 5.

I have sucked on the par 3s today....

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I hit the ball with the heel of my driver. It's a low pull 71 yards into the left rough. I take my AW and play the ball back in my stance and come in steep.. it's a nice shot that goes 88 yards and into the fairway. I have a 4w into the green. I setup but the ball is too far back. It's solid contact and a dead block into the right trees. The ball hits a tree and kicks out though, 145 yards. I have to pitch over a bunker and I just needed another 3 feet to avoid the sand. Takes 2 to get out to 4 feet and I make that putt for a triple bogey, 7.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... I hit a solid draw down the left side, 225 yards. I'm barely in the fairway and the bunkers in the distance are 225 yards away. Hitting towards them takes the pond out of play. I hit my 4w and solid contact put it's a high push fade that lands near the pond and rolls in...

I find my ball in the water and retrieve it. I drop 177 yards from the prior spot and hit a partial Sw into the green. It's a nice high shot, 70 yards, that ends up 8 feet past the hole. I two putt for a bogey, 6.

A 45/51 96. Not great but I'll take it. The driver was much better than yesterday. I also learnt a few things regarding the rough and sand shots. My short game sucked even with the chip in and almost chip in.

I have hit through the fairways on both 11 and 12 for 3 – 4 rounds straight. I may need to dail back a bit. 312 was just a pure shot today but I'm still going through if I hit it straight and 225-230ish. I feel okay with this round and really hope I'm building towards some more solid play

pars: 5

double bogeys: 5

triple+: 3

Some stats:

Avg drive: 217 yards

Longest drive: 261 yards

Fairways: 8/14

GIR: 5/18

Avg Approach: 112 yards

Up & down: 3/16

Putts: 29

Overall: -11.2 strokes

driving: -1.3

Approach: -4.9

Short game: -3.9

Putting: -1.0

• Like 1

Did the club pro play all 18 with you? Most playing lessons are 9 holes max in my area. What types of mental tips did he give you? Those are usually more valuable than mechanics.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

23 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I do not keep track of where I am during my round compared to par or handicap. Of course I have a good idea of how I'm doing because bogey golf is a 90 on a par 72 course. So I have a general feel for things but nothing exact. Take the 41 on the front, I knew I was playing exceptionally well even with the two doubles. I had no clue that a par on #9 would have meant a 39. I knew if I kept going at the same pace on the back I'd be real close to shooting 84 or less.

I didn't feel any pressure on the back though which is big for me. I have started off hot for the opening holes and then start to feel some nerves on say #4 or 5 and then my tee shot goes someplace bad. I have shot enough decent stretches of holes where a par is routine feeling. As I've said before don't get me wrong, I love par and it's not 'oh look another boring par'. I may act that way but I'm very pleased with it internally. Just trying to keep a more even mental balance during the round is all. Don't want anyone thinking that I'm blowing off a par 🙂

8 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

Did the club pro play all 18 with you? Most playing lessons are 9 holes max in my area. What types of mental tips did he give you? Those are usually more valuable than mechanics.

He played all 18 and it was a group playing lesson. He rode with a younger guy and they seem to know each other. I got advice on hitting from the rough and he told me something that I saw Monte say regarding sand shots.

He mentioned a number of times 'this is a par 3 now' when it was time to hit approaches into the green. Just get the ball on the green and two putt for an effortless par. 

The younger guy is a long hitter and on 18, which is a par 5 that crosses the stream and pond, they talked about going for the green on what normally would be a second shot. The guy pulled his tee shot into the left trees and pitched into the fairway where a drive would normally end. The pro told him, you have the distance. Make sure you are long because there's no trouble there. All the trouble is short and miss to the left. Basically telling him to take enough club and to make sure and swing through it. For me I could try that type of think if say the back of the green is my &w range. The guy hit a great looking shot and missed just left of the green. So in a normal round he'd have an eagle chip.

Overall, the lesson could have been better if it was one on one. I picked up some stuff though and the package set of the lessons was worth it. He didn't get into mechanics to fix my swing. It was more around ball position, tempo, keeping my posture, and technique. My short game is the best it's ever been after that lesson. I now get it. He helped fix my woods off the deck which were MIA. Those two things alone have opened the doors some for me. I feel pretty good hitting the 7W into greens again and the 4w has been solid to close the distance on par 5s.

The tempo and posture leads to some great ballstriking when I actually do it, lol. But those are things i can work on as i work on fixing my takeaway for example.

He also  is big about using partial swings, which I do with wedges, with more clubs. This is like the Monte thread about how far do you hit your PW. Learn the distances you hit say your 7i with a partial swing to make it easier to hit a green and stop. I'm not there yet and only use a partial 9i once in a while. I need more practice with the 7i for example since I tend to hit it real low.

• Like 1

Last bonus round of the week in the books. Temps were in the high 70s, no humidity. Slight breeze and sunny. A great day to be outside! Shot a 47/50 97. I am a bit sad with this round because my non-par 3 tee shots were on fire(for me) 

Driver: No big curves at all. I had 1 bad drive which was a push draw and i never found the ball. I had two other drives that were soso and cost me a stroke. I put the ball in the rough with the ball above my feet on a par 5. So that took my 4w out of the mix. I just punched a 5i instead, so I was playing to get on in 4 instead of 3. On a short par 4 I put it under a tree on the left side and had some issues which led to a double because I messed up a punched 8i and a 6 foot putt. I hit through 3 fairways... Drives were: 208, 234, 190, 234, 213, 273, 249, 246, 232, 244, 230, 245, and 210.

My 7w tee shot was a great draw, 199 off an elevated tee into the middle of the fairway. 

So I got off the tee great except on par 3s. Had a double on one when I lost a tee shot and an 8 on another when I lost a tee shot, reteed and pushed that into the right trees. 

My partial wedges were also off a bit which didn't help.

Bunkers killed me and short game was off as well.

Putting was okay. I had some decent ones but also some terrible ones too, lol

So the day I drive the ball the rest of my game save putting is sub par. Oh well. No mental mistakes though. I am okay with things. i am hopeful the driver stays on point and then everything else falls into play.  I may need to change my tee shots on 10 and 12. Going through the fairway on them with my driver is starting to get risky and it's happening more often...

pars: 4

bogeys: 8

double bogeys: 3

Triple bogey+: 3

Some stats:

Avg drive: 229 yards

Longest drive: 273 yards

Fairways: 7/14

GIR: 4/18

Avg Approach: 107 yards

Up & down: 5/15

Putts: 32

Overall: - 12.3 strokes

driving: +1.1!

Approach: -10.1

Short game: -2.5

Putting: -0.8

Today was a mess unfortunately. 51/51 102. No aspect of my game was on. 

That said I did learn a couple of things and had a few good moments out there.

Feeling my left shoulder under my chin at the end of my backswing seems to help a fair bit. It’s something that came up in my first lesson but I forgot about it. I started to do it late in my round and the results were positive.

I had a similar situation on 18 as the long hitter from my playing lesson. I had to layup short of the stream and I was well within range with my 7w. It wouldn’t be short unless I dubbed the shot, so I went for it. I missed left towards the back of the green.  I was quite happy to hit it across the stream and pond. 

It’s not the end of the world.

@TheDeanAbidesLet me think about that and get back to you. 

• Like 1

Cracked the 25 lbs lost mark, so I got that going for me. 

Practice goals: Last week was golf all week and no practice, a success! lol.

This week's practice goals are 1) short putts. 2) work on my takeaway with the smart ball. 3) Hit full shots with a full turn aka feel my left shoulder near my chin. 4) Try some Broom Force drills( this is just bonus practice if I have time).

Saturday was rough but there was some good stuff.

1 - the long par 4, I hit a great drive 247 down the right side. There's dew, so I expect that cut down my rollout some. This left me 160 from middle which is amazing. I'm normally 185-205 out. Pulled my 5i way left of the green but managed a bogey. 

2 - Par 3, hit a high pull into the front bunker. Somehow managed a great sand shot to a foot and got my first par.

3 - Par 5, hit a nice fade, 221, around the corner. Chunked my 4w, took a big divot behind the ball, and sent it into the right trees. End up with a triple, 8. Putting and short game let me down as much as the bad 4w.

4 - Par 4, tee shot was a push fade into the fairway bunker. Hit a PW 92 yards into the back right bunker by the green. Got out in 1 and made the par putt.

5 - Par 5, pulled my tee shot almost into the left trees. it was a low shoit that only went 157 yards. Layed up with a partial SwW from the rough which worked quite well.  Hit a decent 4w to get into position to hit the green. I hit a high pull with my PW 111 yards and missed well left. Putter chip to 6 feet and I miss my first putt 4 feet long...Yup a 3 putt from 6 feet for another triple.

Wheels fell off the bus here and going forward.

Triple on 6 (par 4) after losing my tee shot in the left trees. Double on 7  (par 4)  after hitting my tee shot OOB to the right. Double on 8 (par 3) when I hit another push on this hole with my 8i this time and lost my ball.

9 -par 4, 238 yard drive down the left side. I hit a 129 yard 8i onto the green. I'm 30 feet out and get the birdie putt to 2 feet. Miss the par putt, bogey.

10 - par 4, I have hit through the fairway a couple times recently and teed off with my 7w. Elevated tee shot and I think a tail wind. I hit a great draw into the right side of the fairway, 232 yards.... very unexpected and not normal at all. Hit my 9i 118 yards and onto the front. Two putts from 39 feet and I have a par.

11 - par 4, 7w tee shot is 199 yards but a push that lands in the rough next to a bunker. I have a 5i in and the rough is not thick. I pull it into the stream and it';s a triple bogey.

12 - par 4, pull my tee shot into the left trees and it's a lost ball since it's not marked as a hazard. Short game issues and it's a +5, 9.

13 - par 3, hit a pull uphill 127 yards with my 8i. I'm on a mound elevated above the green chipping to a close pin with a green sloping away. I send it 15 feet long and have a bogey in the end.

14 -  par 5, tee shot OOB right. Provisional goes 240 down the right side.  ball is above my feet a bit in some short rough. I hit my 4w and it's a great shot, 211 down the fairway. My partial AW goes 87 yards and misses just left in the fringe. Get up and down from there for a double bogey.

15 - par 4, Hit a slight pull with driver into a fairway bunker short of the green. I get out in 1 but short of the green. Chip 24 feet long because I had the wrong club and didn't feel like walking back to get my SW. I was being lazy since it's cart path only on this hole. Par putt is 6 feet long... So a double bogey.

16 - par 3, I remember to feel my shoulder under my chin in my backswing and it's a great high draw 132 yards that lands near the flag. I two putt fro 4 feet for a par, lol.

17 - par 4, Do the shoulder thing with driver and it's a high draw, 258 down the right side. I then hit a surprising partial PW. I expect to hit a partial PW 90 yards. This green slopes pretty heavily left to right. So I aim a bit left of the hole and plan to let the ball feed down when it lands. I hit a high shot, down my line that lands on the green hops and stops... 102 yard shot and my ball is 2 - 3 feet from it's pitch mark... Three putt from 26 feet for bogey.

18 - par 5, do the shoulder thing and hit a push fade to the right of the fairway bunker on the right.  I lay up short of the stream. This leads to the 7W I mentioned Saturday. I go for the green and miss into the left rough near the back half of the green. Come away with a bogey, 6.

So a mess out there. A couple of things I am noticing. My partial wedges are going longer for some reason.  A partial PW is more like 100 yards now and a partial AW is pushing 90 yards. Feeling my left shoulder in the backswing had some positive results. It came up in a lesson and I just forgot about it. I think it helps my tempo and completing the backswing probably gets me into a better position. I could be wrong of course but historically i always have a short backswing. Also maybe losing the weight is helping me turn better? Dunno.

pars: 4

double bogeys: 4

Triple bogey+: 5

Some stats:

Avg drive: 219 yards

Longest drive: 258 yards

Fairways: 8/14

GIR: 4/18

Avg Approach: 107 yards

Up & down: 5/15

Overall: - 17.4 strokes

driving: -6.0, I lost 7 to penalties and my distance and accuracy were a total of +1 SG.

Short game: -0.4

Putting: -3.5

On 9/11/2021 at 8:59 AM, TheDeanAbides said:

What happens if you play within your means a little more? Take your medicine, use your shots, etc? 

BigTerp is trying an experiment today along these lines. 

I feel like I mostly play within myself in that I rarely try hero shots. My play is fairly conservative once I'm off the tee. I have no problem playing for bogey if that's what the drive leaves me. For example, #9 has a pond fronting the green and you always have to carry it if you go for it in 2( par 4). I almost never go for it if I have to hit a 5i or more. Just lay up down the right side and maybe get a lucky par. I have been a bit more aggressive on a different hole I'd normally lay up on and it hasn't worked out if I'm in the rough, so that's cost me. I do try to push myself at times since my game is improving even if it's slow. I will just play it safe from the rough on 11 going forward like I used to.

Off the tee, it's driver except for a hole or two, where it's 7w. The issue I am erratic. I can have a great driving day like I did last Friday or I can have a messy day like Saturday or something in between.  I hit 51% of my fairways, miss right 32% and left almost 17%. Arccos has my driver distance as being about 236.

My 7w is 173. I hit the fairway 68% of the time with miss 14% left and  18% right. I only really use this on 1 hole which is a dog left left, so my normal push tends to find the fairway. it's also an elevated tee shot, so I get the ball out there closer to 190 - 200 yards which sets me up fine. There is another dogleg left with elevated tee shot that I plan to use this club on.

My 4w averages 185 which is almost always off the deck. Off the tee Arccos has me hitting the fairway 25% of the time. Miss left almost 63% and right 12.5% but I rarely use it off the tee anymore.

Here is the history of my tee shot progression.

Teed off with 5i when I started playing back in 2004. When I started to actually work on breaking 100 for the first time(2008), I started to tee off with a 7w. Eventually I graduated to my 3w off the tee. My pro suggested I start using driver instead to learn how to hit it, this was after a year or so of lessons, so late 2009-early 2010. Got my driver semi under control, I broke 100 and then 90( 2010 - 2012). Quit playing and started again in late 2019. Teed off with my 4w since my driver was MIA as was my entire swing. I played forward tees, just under 5500 yards. Driver got semi under control again around May 2020 and move back a tee box, 5963 yards. 

So part of my hitting driver is if it's on, I gain a lot of distance. I can mishit any club and I don't hit irons far. It's a club I need to hit well in the long run and it's how I practice it. I rarely hit driver on the range. My focus is more partial wedges and irons.

I understand the concept of hitting multiple irons into a green in GIR+1. I've never bought into it since I can dub any given shot. Of course, I don't dub them as much as I used to when I first saw that course management advice, so maybe times have changed but a solid drive makes like much easier for me.

What would you suggest? I can try to give it a shot when I get out for a quick 9 some afternoon/evening.

• Like 1

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24