2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Matlby TSW forged Wedges - Anyone had a chance to try them?

DarthFader17

The gentleman at Golfworks had suggested these wedges when I was looking at TS1/2 combo sets. I currently game the Maltby MG wedges, but I will have to update the bag in the not too distant future. Plus I forgot my 60* on the course and lost the wedge (for the 3rd time) I tell you, Golfers are not always the most honest with lost clubs!....so will want to start there..

wondering if anyone has been able to give them a "spin"... ;)

They just got the heads in stock either earlier this week or late last week so I doubt it.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Just got the 56 and 60 in the mail. If I like them might get the 52.

They look very nice. I like the shape better than the FGT Forged, less offset.

Planning on putting them together tomorrow.

J9JJ2QGYETQL.jpg

URBUZTOG0CXU.jpg

J97AM57VWO84.jpg

65CNIAH6GU90.jpg

G35OC03CPOLR.jpg

LGRLOENA08BT.jpg

Driver - Cobra F8+ Black 11* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 76g Stiff
3 wood- TEE EX9 15*, Matrix Ozik MFS 75M4 Black Tie 75g Stiff
7 wood- Maltby UFW 21*, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 95x (-.5")
4I-GW - Maltby TS1 Forged, Project X 6.0 Flighted
56.12 - Maltby TSW Forged, Project X 7.0 Flighted (8i)
60.08 - Maltby TSW Forged, Project X 6.0 Flighted
Putter - TaylorMade Classic 79 TM-880

To me they are a kind of rounded. The 56 is has a little more of a tear drop shape than the 60. They are quite a bit smaller than the FGT Forged. I agree, I thought it was weird they made the 54 and 58 with the lower bounce angle.

The sole grind is also quite a bit different than the FGT. The sole on the FGT is more rounded,the TSW has a larger sole width.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow when they are set up.

So here are some photos of them put together. They look nice, just wish they had a straight leading edge. Hopefully can try them out this weekend.

UGGIDEG03NS1.jpg

B7QD0FKSJ0DD.jpg

J95KEBOZ494X.jpg

NMLPVTQCEGKK.jpg

ZKHUCTQLNIRI.jpg

YBRGT2MYABGF.jpg

• Like 1

I'll give an update once I get a chance to use them on the course. They feel nice hitting them around my apartment. When looking at the sole, its kind of shaped like a V. I'm not sure how to explain the leading edge grind wise. It isn't sharp but it isn't rolled either (if that's the right term).

The PTMs have a nice feel and are very easy to hit. They have a lot of bounce. I have a tendency to hit them lower on the face than some of my previous irons. It is much harder to hit draws and fades when needed because they like to go straight. This could be good or bad depending on what you are looking for. They are a full club stronger than my old MP-67s but go the same distance.

They are nice. If you want to get a little more distance I would guess you would want to go with the TS2s. I don't have any experience with those but have heard they are nice. I think the TS1s look nice and I thought I heard that they were going to come out with a new blade at some point but might be wrong. Going to have to wait as I can't justify the cost of new iron heads yet.

Good to here these are smaller than the FGT, I tried an FGT 52 awhile back and it was jarringly larger than my TS1 gap wedge and Vokey 58. Was hoping to try this wedge when it came out but couldn't wait and have a Bridgestone BXW 56 and SM7 60d for this year.

Maybe next year, or I maybe tempted to buy it to use as a 60 lower bounce option when things get firm.

Grind similar to an M grind?

I haven't played the PTM's but I LOVE my combo set of TS2/TS1's. They feel amazing, they fly true and they sound incredible. Wasn't ready for them to look as good as they do. I seriously can't recommend them enough. I come from Nike VR pro Combos (8-PW blades)...I have never had a club as consistent as the 7 iron...I've almost already slam dunked (7 inches) a par 3 I play all the time (and never came close), I hit the shot of my life, a 138 yard approach that had about 30 yards of "cut" (intentionally) through a 10 yard gap between trees that gave me a 12 footer for birdie...I smacked a 195-200 yard 5 Iron (183 yard carry) to 20 feet for eagle, and I've pummeled Pitching Wedge and gap wedge at the flag over and over and over....took me about 5 rounds, but I've already shot my career best round (79)...I've never had clubs that performed so closely to what I "expect to see" based on my swing...I mean I can almost tell you what the flight, trajectory, distance, and curvature is, blind folded (and that really isn't hyperbole)...Seriously great sticks....I have super high hopes for these wedges, because if they are on the tier of the TS1's then they are gonna be friggin awesome...the V sole is truly something special...

edited for clarity and spelling

The TS-2 and TS-1 are very good indeed. I have three sets( Adams A-4 forged and CB-3) and always yearn to swap my sticks out mid season or just on a whim. Not with these. I transition at the 9 iron right now. I have duplicate Ts-1/2 in #9 and PW as I am see where I want to make the break. Contemplating a TS-1 #8 iron.. why? Just my damn curiosity I guess? I am sure I could play the TS-1 all the way thru-- BUT the TS-2 are SO good in 5-6-7 irons.. I am going to test my wedges soon. Really enjoying the Callaway MD-4 I picked up this winter... so will see how these TS series compare. I expect them to be solid.

I'm dying to hear user feedback about these wedges, they certainly look the part!

Got a set of TS1 irons at the end of last season, tremendous clubs, so happy with them. For the guys who own a combo set with TS2 in the longer irons, how well do they blend? I'm thinking of grabbing a TS2 5 iron as my TS1's stop at 6 iron.

Took delivery of a 54* TSW head yesterday and glued it up last night. Anxious to give it a try on the backyard chipping range. (All I can do for the time being given the shutdown and incredibly bad weather we've been experiencing). It looks stellar! Only costing $40, was a no brainer not to give it a try with the TS1's. Don't ask about "grinds" comparisons, not knowledgeable about such things. Kind of a v-sole thing going on, but not as pronounced as the RTX-3 that was used prior. More of a back grind relief.

Indeed, the TS1's are really good irons. More than satisfied with their performance. Exactly what I was looking for. Set consists of 6 - GW. Have a 5 iron shafted up, but don't really use it much. Preferring to hit my 9 wood from similar distance. As a more seasoned hacker with diminished swing speed, using a lofted metal (or a hybrid depending on one's proclivity) realizes better shots. But am curious as well on how a TS2 5 iron would play. Likely not going to drop the coin to find out, unless I find one on the cheap off eBay in the future.

Took a couple of pics with the TS1 GW:

DVJFA3ONSQ1F.jpg

BFL38NPQS8GE.jpg

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Tough to tell on the blend, as it really depends on a lot of factors. But I can't imagine a 5 iron would perform poorly. I carry my 9i ~140 (ts1) 8i ~150 (TS1), my 7i ~162 (Ts2), my 6i 173 (Ts2), my 5 iron ~183 (Ts2), my 4i ~ 191 (TS2)

I'm still working out my 5 and 6 iron...hit the 6 iron pretty consistently, the 5 is definitely more consistent than any other 5 I have had, but it still isn't fully grooved. That being said, I have no issues pulling it, or the 4 iron, on the Tee on a tricky par 4 or a long par 3. I should also note, my clubs are -1/2" which is actually a little short for my "fit"...but I decided I wanted shorter longer irons to get a bit more consistency.

I would say though that Popeye64 is correct in his maltby TS2 thread, when he says that you have to swing the TS1's a bit more aggressively than the TS2's...so, depending on how you hit the TS1's may be a weird adjustment. I think it's good for long irons to swing a little easier, but it may be weird to have one club like that...

I am currently trying to solve the top of my bag, I will likely end up dumping the 4iron for a hybrid/wood combo to get more consistent from 190+....I would say I'm nervous if I have to carry >183 yards (and if I'm not swinging well, the 5 iron causes a little bit of demons....though still good 80%)...

Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to do a full set of TS1's, or a full set of TS2's...If I was in your position, I would think about if I felt the TS1's are forgiving or not? If I felt they were giving me some forgiveness then a 5 iron wouldn't scare me...if I felt they played close to blades, and I struggled with my long irons (like I tend to), then I would go with the TS2. Or you can compare your feeling with the 6...maybe you want to replace your 6 iron too? if your super confident with your TS1 6 (feel good about it 90%), then I'd lean toward a TS1-5. If you feel like I do about my TS2 5 (~65-70% confident) then perhaps the TS2 is going to give you that extra confidence...but at that point, I'd say grab a 6 and 7 too.... :) going from TS1's to the bulky head of a TS2-5 will be a bit jarring...it looks huge at that transition point (the topline does totally go away after a couple rounds, but if it was the only one with that top-line it may be a bigger issue)

hope that helps!

Darthfader (love the name!) and Fellaheen51 thanks so much for the insightful replies. This is the kind of context you can only get among fellow club ho's.

I have 100% confidence in my 6 iron, so it sounds like I'm just overthinking things during this quarantine. I've noticed on all my old iron sets my 6 & 5 iron distances are near identical, this is just the point of diminishing returns for me with irons. Strange because I've got 110mph driver ss so I'm not lacking the speed to play a 5 iron in theory. I should probably stick to my trusty Adams hybrid in that slot, it works great but the ego of a young man always wants to try and flush long irons .

TSW wedge looks perfect beside your TS1's, a bit more of a "spoony" shape, probably better utility out of sand or rough. Enjoy!

OK, so have been able to play the wedges and I really like them. I hit them very well on full shots and really like them around the greens. I chip/pitch much better with these than with the FGTs. The FGTs spun way too much and I ended up short a lot. Much easier now to be able to let the ball roll out more naturally. The feel is good with them too, very happy. Used the 60 out of a firmer bunker and it was perfect.

I got the 60 so I could take a full swing at 70 yards, but like the second option around the green.

Thanks for the insight! any cnance you've hit the MG+ wedges?

also, a little off topic (on my own thread!) but I see your playing a Maltby UFW 21* for your 7 wood...thoughts on that? I am working through the top of my bag and looking for some dark horse 4/7 wood or 7 wood/hybrid combos' and since we both play the F8 and Maltby gear, and my 60* would be a full swing 70 yards, I figured we may have a similar game...what is your relative SS? I see you have your f8 put at 11*...curius on that as well!)

thanks,

Thanks man! I also play poker so it's like a 3x name reference...(in Texas Hold'em if your strong hand survives the "draws" one could say that you "faded" a bad-beat or a draw)....and, obviously, I love star wars...so #winning

I'm glad you found the perspective(s) useful! I am tossing around the idea of dumping my 5 iron too, as I am just not "great" with it. I hit it well quite a bit, but I also have enough duff's in there to make one think...but like you, the young man's ego is playing a part. In all reality, my score would probably benefit if I dumped my 4-6 irons for hybrids, but then I'd only have the one TS2 (and they are such good clubs!) so I'll probably keep the 5 iron and just "get it right"...I also struggle with the 6iron/5iron same distance thing, but can't tell which club I'm mis-hitting...sometimes I smoke my 6 iron 185-190 yards, so am I just mis-hitting it the rest of the time when it's going about 175? I've never really hit my 5 iron longer than that, soooo...I'm thinking it's probably just a one off flier, but a fair amount of the time, I hit my 5 iron like 178, so it feels so close to the 6...anyway, like I said, I think I just need to groove them...OR just hit my driver so far that I never have to pull them out! (ya know, cause of the young man's ego)...

Have not played the MG+ wedges. Bought an MG Forged 56* years ago but felt like it dug too much for me. Gave it to a friend with a shallower swing and he likes it.

The UFW 7w is has been a great club for me. Hybrids are too hooky for me and I like a deeper clubface. I don't like the 7 wood at its regular length. If i remember right, i put it together a half inch shorter at 40.5 inches. I recommend that if you can make it feel right. I put in a Prolaunch Blue 95x shaft in it to balance out the loss of weight with the shorter shaft and I like it a lot more than any of the 3 hybrids i've used in the past. Too bad they aren't making 7 woods in any of their recent FW sets.

I like it in the 7 wood and also have the 5 wood with the same shaft but the 85x. Would keep it in the bag but can choke down on a 3 wood and do the same thing.

I would estimate my swing speed with driver to be between 100-110. Have been hitting it further this spring after working out all winter before the quarantine, so maybe closer to the top of that. Probably have been around 270-280 on my good drives. Love the driver. I still tend toward probably being a little steeper, more so with irons and wedges, but like the launch I can get with the higher lofted driver.

• 1 year later...

I’ve got the drm (raw) ones in 52/58 on the way. Building with KBS TGI graphite and will post my thoughts after I try them indoors in the next couple of weeks. Had plenty of stuff from Maltby over the years and wouldn’t hesitate to game any of their clubs. 

I have the TSW DRM models in 56 and 60. Both shafted with DG 115 wedge shafts. They are pretty compact in my opinion and have a nice look at address. For whatever reason though, I just don't get along with them. I've always been partial to Cleveland and Ping wedges for some reason.  I got the TSW's to go with some TE forged irons . Recently purchased some WIlson Harmonzied just for fun and actually like the way they blend with the TE forged better.  Going to unload the TSW's.

Edited by rainkingjr

• 2 weeks later...

After playing a season with the TSW 54 degree wedge, I can say it's the best wedge I've ever used for greenside and bunker shots. Drained two chips in the annual charity tournament I play in, the ultimate test haha. I did struggle a bit hitting consistent full swings but a swing weight scale revealed it was playing at C8!

Lead taped it down to a D4 and it instantly became a consistent 95 yard full swing club. Can't recommend this wedge enough, just make sure you swing weight it correctly, surprised it came in that light considering the TS1 GW was a D4 without any additional weighting, same grip and shaft pairing.