2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

FANTASTIC! WE DID IT! THANK YOU! (Please Introduce Yourselves Here!)

rony

Hi guys!
I'm Larry from SW Mo, and 61 y.o. Retired in January after working at an interesting job for 35 years. Started playing golf senior year in HS, 1964. Got my first clubs as graduation gift. Played for 3 yrs, then got drafted in '67. Spent 3 years in Japan for my military career, VERY LUCKY!
Played a little golf on return, but kind of drifted to tennis in the 70's. Got back into golf in the 80's very seriously(for me). Got the hdcp down to a 4 for personal best. Then....got into rv'ing. Instead of golf, went camping all the time. Then a couple of years ago, started playing again. Now that I'm retired, we're spending winters in south Texas, and playing golf about 4 days a week. We have a nice 18 hole layout in the rv park we stay in, so it's very handy. The hdcp is currently at 12, but dropping every week, hopefully into the single digits in a few weeks. The old game is coming around. I've played golf in Australia, Japan, and lucky enough to play Pebble Beach and Olympic here in the U.S., along with many other interesting courses.
I just stumbled onto this "Senior Golf" forum, and it's exactly what I was looking for.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MoGolf' post='834891' date='Dec 23 2007, 02:22 PM']Hi guys!
I'm Larry from SW Mo, and 61 y.o. Retired in January after working at an interesting job for 35 years. Started playing golf senior year in HS, 1964. Got my first clubs as graduation gift. Played for 3 yrs, then got drafted in '67. Spent 3 years in Japan for my military career, VERY LUCKY!
Played a little golf on return, but kind of drifted to tennis in the 70's. Got back into golf in the 80's very seriously(for me). Got the hdcp down to a 4 for personal best. Then....got into rv'ing. Instead of golf, went camping all the time. Then a couple of years ago, started playing again. Now that I'm retired, we're spending winters in south Texas, and playing golf about 4 days a week. We have a nice 18 hole layout in the rv park we stay in, so it's very handy. The hdcp is currently at 12, but dropping every week, hopefully into the single digits in a few weeks. The old game is coming around. I've played golf in Australia, Japan, and lucky enough to play Pebble Beach and Olympic here in the U.S., along with many other interesting courses.
I just stumbled onto this "Senior Golf" forum, and it's exactly what I was looking for.[/quote]

Hello Larry. Good to have you on board. My Oldest Son lives in Colleyville, TX, so I visit down there frequently. Check out the golf in the San Antonio area. Lots of great courses in that area. :cheesy:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

A whole collection of folks who actually remember the early 60's. how refreshing! I began playing about the same time as our fearless moderator Mac, 1961 at a par 3 course on the Minneapolis side of the Mississippi River. Lost a few years when I left the planet for good in the late 60's, thru the 70's, until my return in the mid 80's. Played on and off until 1995 when I got seriously hooked on the game again.

Only got to play 8 rounds last year due to committments to the women who run my life. And to think I'm not even married. Between my mother and my daughters I had too many demands on my time. They've all been advised of different time allocations for this summer. Fortunately my cellphone has an off button and I know how to use it so I'll be playing more this coming year.

Am closing in on 56, and hope to keep having birthdays about the same time every year for a while yet. Used to play to scratch, but am up to 7 due to lack of playing time. Was diagnosed with Diabetes a year ago so have whipped my sorry tail into reasonable shape in order not to lose body parts. In another life I was a Pharmacist, now I just work 4 days a week for a cellphone company in Financial Services. Insurance for me and the kids was too expensive to stay retired.

Feel free to ask me anything, and if I don't know the answer I'll make something up. Unless you expect a real answer, in which case I'll have to do some research.

Remember also, if Mr. Parr1Noid puffs himself up to dangerously large levels, you just gotta tickle him right below the ribs and he makes noises like a rapidly deflating balloon.

:lol: pssssssssssssssssss :busted2:

[attachment=201263:Gauge__N...tter_002.jpg]

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

My name is Paul. Just turned 50 a couple months ago. I have been taking golf seriously for 4 years playing to a 15 now and working hard to get better. Lots of wear and tear on the body over the years makes things a little hard, but with the help of some great trainers and therapists I am making progress w my full swing. I get to play and practice a lot as my business' slow season is mid to late summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I'm Baldy (64) and just found this site which is great. I especially like the Senior Forum. I'm retired Air Force and after that retired from teaching AF Junior ROTC in high school for 15 years. I have played golf for 40 years. My lowest handicap index ever was 3.7; now its about ten, although in the summer it will get down to 6 or 7. I struggle with clubhead speed. Just had a shoulder replacement, so I am out of action for about six months. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi to all, I'm Jim Cook from West D :) es Moines, Iowa. I am currently playing to a 13 handicap at Echo Valley Country Club, been as low as a 7, high as a 17. Took up the game when all the other sports started hurting my body too much (baseball, softball, football, rugby, racquetball) about 20-25 years ago. I play at least 3x per week, and posted 68 scores last year (not bad for a northern climate). I take at least 2 week long golf trips per year, including 10 days at Primm Valley (about 40 miles from Vegas on I-15 to LA. Two Tom Fazio courses, fabulous condition. me and 27 of my best friends do this every year, we stage our own handicapped tourney, throw in a couple hundred bucks for prizes and have a ball) I am an admitted club ho who now enjoys buying and selling on E-bay so that I can try all the new goodies for next to nothing.

I am a lawyer in private practice, primarily doing criminal defense work, have 2 grown kids, 4 grandkids. I had a problem with cancer in 2003, but I got lucky and beat the odds. (Doctor gave me 60 days after 13 hour surgery, ha ha fooled you!) No sign since, but who knows how long any of us have at this stage, so i am determined to play as much golf as I can since it beats the h**l out of anything else, other than sex, and I certainly cant do that 3-4 times a week anymore! (Remember, once a king, always a king, once a knight is enough) Also AF viet vet who got lucky enough to fight the war at Rhein Main, germany, primarily because my younger brother bought it in the Tet 68. Dad also spent several years building Cam Rahn as a civilian army contractor.

Looking forward to reviewing this forum daily to see what the rest of you geezers have to say and complain about. Jim

Hi, I'm Lee. I am 53 turning 54 in 3? weeks. I took up golf for the first time at 30. I thought it would be good for business, so I asked my older brother who was a 7 hdcp at the time how to take it up. He introduced me to an assistant pro at our country club and suggested I start by getting a lesson to see if I enjoyed it. I had a set of hand-me-down Kroydon clubs from another older brother who had quit golf.

I don't think the pro taught me much in that first lesson, but he sold me: a pair of golf shoes, a glove, a new (used) set of Lynx Predators and SIX more lessons. Off I went and after my set of lessons, he let me try my hand on the course. I played just 9 holes, counted every shot and penalty shot. I shot a cool 77 for that first 9 holes. The ELEVEN putt on the two tiered green really hurt. In a few weeks, I was scoring in the low 120s for 18 and a year later, got down to a legitimate 9 handicap.

My handicap has been both higher than that since then (17) and lower (4). It kind of doesn't matter, I just love the pursuit. I love walking and carrying my bag on a crisp fall day, playing alone or with a few friends. I love the promise each new season brings. I love sneaking out the back door with my wife on a summer evening when we walk a 5 hole circuit together.

In short, I think I have an addiction.

I'm from Hamilton Ontario, 60 years old, and teach high school history. In addition, I work part time at Golf Town and coach high school golf. Over the last 42 years, I have been fortunate enough to win 12 tournaments but strangely, never a club championship. After suffering a minor heart attack last May, I have worked out very diligently, improved my leg strength by 39%, and my oxygen intake by 28%.

Hopefully, this better conditioning will lead to improved scoring this year.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Cleveland Launcher DST 15*, Diamana Red 64 R
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

OK...I'm in; 65 in a few weeks. Educator, Coach, Former Jock and got to AAA baseball in the Dodger organization......Two knee replacements, Spinal Tumor Removal, Skin Cancer..Been through the medical mill....Playing to a 5 from the senior tees, but can still play the blues with my younger buddies. Taught and coached golf on and off for 40 years, been clubmaking for close to 20........love the game, love the equipment, love the teaching.........BUT still a little old school........If your ever in Carolina....give me a holler...Coach

[quote name='Coach Doyle' post='887790' date='Jan 28 2008, 08:27 PM']OK...I'm in; 65 in a few weeks. Educator, Coach, Former Jock and got to AAA baseball in the Dodger organization......Two knee replacements, Spinal Tumor Removal, Skin Cancer..Been through the medical mill....Playing to a 5 from the senior tees, but can still play the blues with my younger buddies. Taught and coached golf on and off for 40 years, been clubmaking for close to 20........love the game, love the equipment, love the teaching.........BUT still a little old school........If your ever in Carolina....give me a holler...Coach[/quote]

Way to go Coach. You're the kinda guy we need posting in the senior forum! :yes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Hi Guys,

My name is Jon. I'm 56 for a few more weeks, anyway. Been playing this wonderful game since I was nine and it truly is a game for a lifetime. I think I enjoy and appreciate the game more and more each passing year. I was in the golf business as a club professional for 17 years. Left the business in 1995 for the 9-5 Monday thru Friday work week. Currently in insurance sales for a major company and playing more golf now than I was when I was in the business. Go figure! Currently play off a 1 handicap. I check the forum almost daily as part of my early morning ritual. Glad to be a part of the Senior golf talk forum.

:tongue:

Titleist TS3 Tensi AV65
Titleist 917 F2 3 Diamana 70
Titleist 818 H2 21 Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP2 4-P Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM7 Raw 50F, 54M, 60L
SeeMore mFGP cs SuperStroke Traxion Claw 1.0

Titleist Pro V1x

Hello all,

Great addition for a golf forum and my compliments to those who had a hand in creating it.

I started golf in my mid thirties am now in my 60th year. Five years ago I had a bad auto accident which layed me up for four years, so I just got back into golf this past year. Love the game to the point of obssesion, and, most recently, ho'iing golf equipment which is addicting. I plan to establish a handicap this year, and, now that I have time, hope to get down to single digits (play to about 14 now).

I am looking forward to contributing, gaining knowledge, and establishing new friendships with you all. :tongue:

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Okay, not to try to medically out do "Coach", but here goes: 60 yo, a painter (artist) but have a university administration position, I picked up the game again at 38 (quit for 25 years) while still playing basketball. I've had 22 orthopedic surgeries that mostly include bi-lateral knee replacements, two lumbar spinal fusions (one more is coming in May or June), two bi-lateral bunion surgeries, three rotator cuff surgeries, and on and on. Please don't imagine that I'm a bent over old man because no one who meets me can tell that I've been a surgeon's main source of income, and, I still can make a proper turn. I look like I'm in my early 40's and don't limp (new knees, circa 1998, are great!). I came to Louisiana five years ago and it ruined my game - I was playing 4-5 times/wk in Massachusetts but can get out once or twice, if I'm lucky (job). I was a 7.2 and now I'm up to a 10.9 and can't really play to it. I've lost yardage with every club except my putter (the greens are faster here). I haven't had time to exercise or lift weights as I have been working 60-70 hrs/wk. I've lost my swing and can't seem to get it back - it's as if every body part is going its own way during my swing, but I've seen the tapes and they're not. My set-up is good, good and light grip, good posture, my takeaway is solid, and my position at the top is fine, then everything goes down hill from there, no pun intended. I can't seem to feel the club head at any point coming down and through the ball. I hit fairways but 30 yards shorter than before, and have a tendency to hit tee shots (and fairway shots for that matter) too low and sometimes hooked. Arghhhh! I need to move back to the Northeast to play better (it's too hot and humid in LA). Maybe that's the ticket.

Anyway, next time I won't go into all of this.

Ping G2 Purple Ice reg/stiff

Titleist 980F UST reg/tipped

Hogan CFT Hybrid 3, 4 reg steel

Ping Zing 2 3-S steel

or

Mizuno MP 30 3-W Rifle Flighted D2

Titleist Vokey 58-8

Titleist PRO-V

Hi,

I'm Dick from Massachusets. If the snow ever leaves I hope to get back out on the course. Sort of retired, I check in at 73 years so I looks like I am really the senior here in this forum. This is a great way to learn about fellow seniors and I am happy to be part of it. Last summer was a tough time with major back problems. Finally went in and had 3 toumors removed from my spinal column. Doing much better and hope my hc which got up to around 15 will come down this summer.

I am considering a purchase of a Mizuno 600 driver, but would like some advice regarding shaft options. Have not been on launch monitor yet, but will when it gets warmer. I know my swing speed is around 85. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dick

Well I am not sure if I am a young senior or just an old fart! My name is Frankie and a 55 years old started golf at 30, wife and mother wanted to get me into something safer than drag racing and running round track! Oh what a mistake, have played as many as 230 rounds in a year but down to the low 100's now that I am older, live on a course in central Kentucky called The Bull moved here from the mountains of eastern KY to watch grandkids grow up, would love to retire ;) to play every day but probably will be working at 90! Tried to go to nam but marines wouldn't have me because of epilepsy..oh well, so I sell insurance now but come from a family owned auto dealership. Just love this game, still play from the back tee set and have a 2 index, can't putt worth a darn! Thinking about getting a ditch witch for Christmas to aid my putting. Tried out last year for the USGA Senior AM but missed the cut so will go at it again! :D

Hello all,

Great addition for a golf forum and my compliments to those who had a hand in creating it.

I started golf in my mid thirties am now in my 60th year. Five years ago I had a bad auto accident which layed me up for four years, so I just got back into golf this past year. Love the game to the point of obssesion, and, most recently, ho'iing golf equipment which is addicting. I plan to establish a handicap this year, and, now that I have time, hope to get down to single digits (play to about 14 now).

I am looking forward to contributing, gaining knowledge, and establishing new friendships with you all. :D

Jon

Jon,

here in Kentucky we say ya'll! Glad we are all here!!

Seems like every time I post the posting goes south!? Did I offend?

I'm Bob, age 60 and retired. Last played in 1995 when I started my own business and plain had no more time for the game. Picked up golf again last July and happy I did. Still have a lot of cobwebs in my swing to work out, but I think I have the major flaws identified and can't wait for the snow to go away so I can get busy again.

Resisted all the pressure to toss my '80s vintage clubs to "take advantage of the new technology", and instead opted to use the antiques as a yardstick to measure just how much of my old game I could recover. Glad I did because now as I improve, I know that it's me and not my tools that are responsible. Once I'm comfortable with all that, I plan on trying out a new driver, and if that goes well, new irons. Anxious to try out the new stuff, but not entirely convinced new sticks will be worth the investment.

Whatever, glad to be here!

Hi,

I'm Dick from Massachusets. If the snow ever leaves I hope to get back out on the course. Sort of retired, I check in at 73 years so I looks like I am really the senior here in this forum. This is a great way to learn about fellow seniors and I am happy to be part of it. Last summer was a tough time with major back problems. Finally went in and had 3 toumors removed from my spinal column. Doing much better and hope my hc which got up to around 15 will come down this summer.

I am considering a purchase of a Mizuno 600 driver, but would like some advice regarding shaft options. Have not been on launch monitor yet, but will when it gets warmer. I know my swing speed is around 85. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dick

Hi Dick,

Joe here. I'm a bit younger than you (58) but I just went through getting a new driver and I'll share my experience with you. My swing speed is 90.

I was playing a TaylorMade 460 for the last few years. Actually had been playing a Taylormade driver since the early 90's. This time I told myself that I would not go in with a preconcieved notion of what I wanted but I did have a list in my mind of what I thought I might like. Right up on tp was the Mizuno 600. It's looks are stunning. also on the list was to the touredge XCG

Well I hit the 600, the XCG. The cleveland XLS, etc with various shafts. Numbers were good but the fitter made me hit the TM Burner again with various shafts. The most consistant club for me (tho I did hit the 600 3 yards farther) turned out to be the Burner with the same shaft I had in my tm 460. An Accra T50 at M2 flex tipped to just below M3. M3 is Accra's reg flex. Even tho with my 90 and my shaft load would call for a REG +. I could get more distance without any loss of dispersion with this setup. BTW from the 460 to the burner (at least on the launch monitor) I gained over 15 yards. Oh yea , As I hit a pretty straight ball the fitter reamed out the hosel and squared up the clubface for me.

Hello all! MY name is TARIQ. I live in the south of France.I am 63 and took up golf only upon retirement 3 years ago.I play to 18 hc,but am getting better.I would play every day but as I have flat feet,and don't like riding,I play every second day. I went wild a year ago and bought too much equipment! So this year have resolved to thin down,unless of course some extraordinary stuff shows up which it just will....

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2