FANTASTIC! WE DID IT! THANK YOU! (Please Introduce Yourselves Here!)

rony

I would like to extend my thanks to "Mahogany Row" for setting this up. I am confident that it will be a success.

OK Seniors, Why don't we begin to "Bond" a bit and get to know each other. I'm Rony from Huntington, Long Island, NY. I am 66 years old, average 60 rounds per year, play to a 12.4, and my home course is CrabMeadow Golf Club which is our beautiful town course situated on Long Island Sound. I'm a lifelong "Jock", played baseball in college, 40 years of tennis, golf on and off since my teens but it became my passion when I got into my 50's and could devote more time to the game. I'm a Viet Nam Combat Vet, (5th SFG - Saigon -Intelligence Officer). Excellent Physical Condition, walk all my rounds, only impairment I have is Hearing Aids due to loss of hearing from combat injury. Love to talk GOLF!

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad SGT made it too...thanks!
I'm 55 (for a few more days!), living in the Pacific Northwest, and layed off the game almost 13 years ago playing to around 11-12 handicap...got the itch again earlier this year, and went to the range to see how far I had deteriorated - I was surprised that the remnants of my swing were still with me...inconsistant, but I'm still hitting the ball the same distance I was in 95'. I just have to groove it again with a lot of practice, and spend a LOT of time around the putting and chipping practice greens.
I sold my old Titleist irons and Callaway War Birds and got a new bag going, which I'm pretty happy with so far... but... I'm [u]really[/u] lusting after the new MacGregor MT Pro-M irons and wedges though...gotta have em! I'm also interested in a couple of other hybrids too (Bobby Jones and Adams Idea Pro).
I'm looking forward to getting out on the course this coming spring.

Way to go fellas. This is one forum that I think was really needed.

I'm 48, so I guess I'm not really of interest to you yet. But I'm glad to see that there is a place for me to aspire to. My club is about 75-80% seniors, so I spend a good bit of time playing with and listening to them. We just lowered the age for senior competition to 50, so I'm not that far off.

I am 52, been playing golf seriously for three years. Have gone from a 22 to an 8.9. I still struggle with distance, but I seem to be getting better with age. My home course is Harmon Golf Club.

I work out a few times a week, and love to walk the course...though I now use a pull cart.

All I need to complete my bag is ONE golf ball I will use consistently. Haven't found it yet. I have yet to try the Srixon Z-URS and the new Callaway line-up looks interesting.

John from Montgomery, Al. Will be 69 on Dec. 22, have played for 50 years.
Average about 150 rounds per year, a former scratch who's now an 8 or so.
As you can tell by my BST activity, I'm a rather active club trader. Its fun to try different
clubs, and this site enables us to do so, by reading about them, getting interested, and
then hitting the BST.
Thanks to all who have worked on getting this forum started.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

[quote name='Avatar' post='815424' date='Dec 7 2007, 09:31 AM']I am 52, been playing golf seriously for three years. Have gone from a 22 to an 8.9. I still struggle with distance, but I seem to be getting better with age. My home course is Harmon Golf Club.

I work out a few times a week, and love to walk the course...though I now use a pull cart.

All I need to complete my bag is ONE golf ball I will use consistently. Haven't found it yet. I have yet to try the Srixon Z-URS and the new Callaway line-up looks interesting.[/quote]

I think you are on track with the NXT Tour.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

My name is Joel and I'm 56. I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and work in the investment business. I'm in pretty good shape, but am currently fighting a slightly expanding waistline. Currently play to a 2.2 index and enjoy competing in CDGA events. I think this forum is a terrific idea where we can discuss some of the issues we face.

[quote name='thusgone' post='815412' date='Dec 7 2007, 08:20 AM']Way to go fellas. This is one forum that I think was really needed.

I'm 48, so I guess I'm not really of interest to you yet.[/quote]

There are always questions a younger fellow may want to ask an older fellow. This forum is for EVERYBODY. Oh.......If I could be 48 again! :russian_roulette:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Hey what the heck :partytime2:
Tad from the Central Valley of California, 57 years "young :russian_roulette: " and been playing golf about 15 years. Currently playing off a 10.6 but have been in the single digits most of the year when it was warmer LOL! Play about 160 rounds per year average and walk (with two bad knees) about 99 percent of the time using my 3wheel push cart. I retired about a year and a half ago, after a 30 year career as a firefighter and have no aspirations at this point of my life except golf. Interesting to note that even at my age I love seeing all the new technology and often dream of my next golf purchase. One of the hardest things about being a "Senior golfer" is maintaining flexibility, fighting off years of body abuse from other sports and just plain gravity thus I workout between 4-6 times per week in addition to my golf. Also good to have a loving Wife who encourages me to keep playing as much as I want (I think its a conspiracy so I dont stay home and be a PIA!), and who keeps the paypal ready for my next golf purchase LOL...

Tad

Ping Rapture V2 10.5*/ Harrison Saga 70grms
TEE Trilogy 15*/ GD Tour AD
TEE Trilogy 18*/GD Tour AD
Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto
Srixon I701 Tour 4-Pw, Project X
Titleist Spin Milled 50*
Fourteen MT28 v5 56*
Taylormade Original itsy bitsy spider 33/370grms

Hello everyone. I'm 63, live in sw missouri, married 40+ years with 2 grown kids and 2 grandsons who all live close. My sons the HS golf coach. I've been playing for 20 years with a 6 HC. My distance is ok, about 240 with my hibore xl, but 60 yds in needs to improve and is inproving since partial retirement in jan 2007. Play about 6 days a week, weather permitting. Could play 7 out of 7 but body needs rest. :russian_roulette: 10 years of squatting behind the plate and playing every other sport have taken a toll on my knees so I almost always ride. Play mostly at the local course, from the whites @ 6047 yds but planning on taking some more golf trips in the future. I enjoy competeing and may join the missouri MGA next year. I enjoy golfing and talking with the young uns but us 'old' guys have more in common and think this 'senior' site is a good idea.
JC

[quote name='beruo' post='815374' date='Dec 7 2007, 04:33 AM']Good on you guys. Not sure how much I'll be checking in here as I get all uncomfortable around old people, so MrParr!Noid will probably be the mod you guys deal with most of the time...at least until we start seeing some estate sales pop up. :partytime2:[/quote]
Hey George,
Being that I'm a lefty, I'll let you know when I die and my estate sale gets under way... :russian_roulette:
Though I doubt seriously I'll live long enough to amass a collection anywhere near yours! (or Reid's)

[quote name='beruo' post='815374' date='Dec 7 2007, 06:33 AM']Good on you guys. Not sure how much I'll be checking in here as I get all uncomfortable around old people, so MrParr!Noid will probably be the mod you guys deal with most of the time...at least until we start seeing some estate sales pop up. :betty:[/quote]

Well the first thing you need to do is "RESPECT MAH ATHORATAH!" :wub: Actually b$$, beruo, geo, George, I'm one of the more Jr__ Sr's around here. :D Some of these guys in here are really old. :partytime2:

My first exposure to golf was in 1961, me and the boyz used to take Sandy's (our friends) bag of S Snead Blue Ridge clubs...you know, the 3-5-7 & 9, driver & 3 wood and blade putter that came with all those sets, anywho, the 4, 5 or 6 of us would take that (1) bag and play, sometimes as many as 54 holes a day. I really started playing when I was 36, played till I was 40, quit for about 10 years while my son was growing up, and have been playing steady for the past 13 or 14 years. :partytime2:

I've been as low as a 7, ( about 25 years ago) and as high as a 16, I guess that 10 year layoff was a bit to much for me, and I now carry about a 14, maybe 13 if they catch me. :cheesy: I've always thought it could have gotten better but I keep having to have these friggin operations, heart, spine, what have you, I think I have tour grade titanium in my neck at present. :huh:

I love the good (TourStage) irons, am too cheap to pay full price for any, have bought several sets of mature irons from our B/S/T section, was given another set, am a Fuji Nut (in my opinion the best) shaft going. The way I have it figured, I have enough irons to last me till I'm 85, that is if I live that long, :russian_roulette: and enough shafts for another 6 or 8 drivers, and at least that many fw woods.

When I'm not working or in the chat shooting the breeze with 63wagon, beruo, theinsider, taylormadefan, Gxgolfer, easyyy, JHR, Prozach...LOL!, I mean kascopro, amajeski (my son), Reid aka dapitbull808dude :D , boonie...my minds drawing a blank now but there are a bunch of us in chat most every night, with the exception of being indisposed for the past several weeks...Plowman :) I'll be posting in here with what ever bits and pieces of trivia I happen by.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this fine and select group of yentlemen. :ok:

Began life on January 20, 1943, birthdays are ok, just as long as they aren't mine, and I also am a Vietnam Vet, and while some were praising the Lord, I was passing the ammunition, 611th Ordinace Co., Cam Rahn Bay Vietnam. :betty:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Ken 58 Eastern North Carolina started playing golf Nov 1963 yep 44 years

Currently I work in sales but I was once a Class A Member of the PGA I got my amateur status back about 12 years ago.

My current index is 2.3 after 20 years I got rid of a terrible case of the yips chipping and pitching so my game is in a bit of a resurgence as my handicap was up to six at the end of last year.

I play twice a week weather permitting, I am currently on a warm days only program my back has been bugging me. Looks like I will get to play Sunday supposed to be mid sixtys.

I never get the time to practice and wish I could and I wish I had time to get in better shape.

Anything else you want to know just ask

I do have a question for whom ever can answer it. I saw this thread earlier today but had to search to find it. Under what section is it?

[quote]I do have a question for whom ever can answer it. I saw this thread earlier today but had to search to find it. Under what section is it?[/quote]

Senior Golf Talk Ken

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='rony' post='816238' date='Dec 7 2007, 08:49 PM'][I do have a question for whom ever can answer it. I saw this thread earlier today but had to search to find it. Under what section is it?[/quote]

Senior Golf Talk Ken

Under Forums or what and under what sub title as I look too the right at the different places and forums I see for example Ladies golf talk but I do not see Senior golf talk

[quote name='pickerjohn' post='815454' date='Dec 7 2007, 09:12 AM']John from Montgomery, Al. Will be 69 on Dec. 22, have played for 50 years.
Average about 150 rounds per year, a former scratch who's now an 8 or so.
As you can tell by my BST activity, I'm a rather active club trader. Its fun to try different
clubs, and this site enables us to do so, by reading about them, getting interested, and
then hitting the BST.
Thanks to all who have worked on getting this forum started.[/quote]
That's a lot of golf John! And a nice HI!

I hope you're right re the NXT Tour. Though the HX Hot Bite looks interesting.

Hello, I'm John and at 53 am glad to be one of the youngsters of this group (I'm sure 53 qualifies!). Any way, I've been playing this great game since my early teens and after a brief layoff from golf about three years ago, I have regained a stronger passion for this game, and the equipment, than since the early years.

Currently a 5.7 but feel like my swing is in transition since 50 lbs gained after turning 40 has limited my flexibility. With equipment and technology though there are aspects of my game that have improved, ie: driving the golf ball.

In sales with a major office furniture manufacturer, married 34 years with three daughters, two grandaughters and two grandsons.

I'm on this forum daily and now have a new area to look at every day.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Hello, Name is Ray age is 59. Played golf regularly until 17 years ago, then I just quit. My son got me started back this year.

I have noticed that the distance is not there yet and my body is not as flexible. Living in the Colorado Rockies makes
golf seasonal.

This year I carried a 13, but had one round under 80. I am still experimenting with clubs and trying to convince myself to
give up my old ping eye 2's.

Hi Folks,

My name is Graeme and, I am 62 and live down under. I play golf 3 times a week and play of a 17 handicap and it is blowing out very quickly. I am a Vietnam vet as is Ron. I use a cart these days as they enable me to play a game that I am totally addicted to. My home club is SS&A Wodonga Country Club which is situated on the mighty Murray River which is the border between Victoria and New South Wales.

[quote name='eagle3' post='822679' date='Dec 13 2007, 06:27 AM']Hi Folks,

My name is Graeme and, I am 62 and live down under. I play golf 3 times a week and play of a 17 handicap and it is blowing out very quickly. I am a Vietnam vet as is Ron. I use a cart these days as they enable me to play a game that I am totally addicted to. My home club is SS&A Wodonga Country Club which is situated on the mighty Murray River which is the border between Victoria and New South Wales.[/quote]

Hi Graeme. Good to have you on board. "Stand Up Guys", the "Aussies". Good Soldiers, Good Athletes, Good Guys in general. Australian Golfers are very popular in the US, which I'm sure you know.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I'm Joe 57 from the Northwest 'burbs of Chicago. First started playing golf in about 1964 but gave it up a few years later when I got into girls. Only had enough money for one. I am ex regular army (SP5) 1970-73 and Illinois NAt Guard. Army decided to station me at CINCPAC headquarters which happened to be located on OAHU Hawaii. Started playing golf again in 1983 and haven't looked back.

My name is Dennis Higgins, I have been playing golf for a little over a quarter century. About myself, I spent 28 years in the Navy, retired managed a golf course, worked for EZ-Go golf car company, and now I am back in Georgia, working for the govt as the Businsess Manager of a Navy Base.

Just finished building a new house on a golf course. My wifes idea, best idea she ever had in our 31 years of marrage.

I run a 7 day golf tournament (Big Dog Golf Summit) in Myrtle Beach SC every year. (This is our 18th year, you can read about it on bogeybluesgolf.com----we still have a few openings).

I am a terrible club ho, I have an addiction.... I currently have more than 30 putters, 13 sets of irons, and a 55 gal drum full of Drivers, Fairway Woods, and Hybrids and another drum full of wedges and shafts. I do all my own fitting. I have my own freq analyzer, loft lie machine and MOI machine. Did I forget to mention that I am left handed and hate most all OEM's as we are treated like bastxxx step childs.

I currently play off a 8 handicap, and play about 140 rounds a year.

Did I mention, that I believe GolfWRX runs the best golf forum. These guys are the one that deserve the PGA Tour Tag "These guys are good" Thanks GolfWRX and all of its sponsors.

r/MiuraPro

Hi my names Russ, I'm 60 years old. I've been playing golf since I was 10 years old. I was playing off 1 handicap as a 18 year old. I was brought up in Australia but set off on a world trip (working holdiday) in 1969 and due to circumstances (kept on getting married) didn't get back. I then didn't play golf for 7 years. When my financial position allowed me to start again I was living in North London. I joined a country club and returned to the game and shortly got back down to 6 handicap. I was then sent to Malaysia where besides work I managed to become a scratch golfer. Five years later I found myself working in Thailand. As I was leaving there I had to have part of a lung removed. I then didn't play golf for 17 years. Six years ago some good friends enticed me into trying to play again. Much to my surprise I came back to the game quite well and have managed to get back down to 4 handicap. Recently I retired and at the same time had a hip replacement. Since recovery I am playing more than ever. I'm on schedule to play 200 plus games a year. At present I am playing 5-6 days a week and trying to get back into the game and hopefully bring my handicap down. I'm also a trained clubmaker but since retiring I'd rather play golf than do much of this.

[quote]To all the Vets...'Welcome Home!'!

teespoon[/quote]

And to you also my good man and fellow veteran. :) Believe it or not but my son was the first one who welcomed me back from Vietnam, and he wasn't born until I was damned near 40 years old. :rolleyes:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='hifish' post='824965' date='Dec 14 2007, 10:02 PM']Hi my names Russ, I'm 60 years old. I've been playing golf since I was 10 years old. I was playing off 1 handicap as a 18 year old. I was brought up in Australia but set off on a world trip (working holdiday) in 1969 and due to circumstances (kept on getting married) didn't get back. I then didn't play golf for 7 years. When my financial position allowed me to start again I was living in North London. I joined a country club and returned to the game and shortly got back down to 6 handicap. I was then sent to Malaysia where besides work I managed to become a scratch golfer. Five years later I found myself working in Thailand. As I was leaving there I had to have part of a lung removed. I then didn't play golf for 17 years. Six years ago some good friends enticed me into trying to play again. Much to my surprise I came back to the game quite well and have managed to get back down to 4 handicap. Recently I retired and at the same time had a hip replacement. Since recovery I am playing more than ever. I'm on schedule to play 200 plus games a year. At present I am playing 5-6 days a week and trying to get back into the game and hopefully bring my handicap down. I'm also a trained clubmaker but since retiring I'd rather play golf than do much of this.[/quote]

You get some really interesting history from the Senior Guys here. I've got to "Beef Up" my play count. I'm feeling like a "Lightweight" with only 60 rounds. :)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

With a handle like DaOldGuy, I'm in the right company.

My name is Dennis and I am 63 and retired from a long career as a financial officer. My dear wife of 40 years+ and I moved into our new home about 45 miles WSW of the Gateway arch in May, which just happens to be part of a golf club development (go figure).

I have been at this game for about 43 years, starting in college after my baseball endeavors were cut short by a knee injury and my two roommates convinced me that if I could hit a 90mph fastball hitting one off a peg would be easy (they lied alot). I normally play about 60+ rounds per year and my handicap is typically in the 9-10 range.

I happen to share Beruo's passion for Anser 4's, although my gamer is a Bettinardi BB-18 DASS, along with 2 other BB-18's, a BeCu Anser 4, a Newport 2.5 and a Tri-Hot 2. Despite more Titanium in my right knee than my driver, I still play "hit it hard something good may happen" golf.

Sorry I had missed the first edition of this new forum.
I had been living in the Pacific NW seattle area since 1975, only had left about 3 years in between for my grad school and first year of work.
My father was an avid golfer and tried to introduce me to golf when I was in High School, but I did not like the oldman's game and stayed with tennis and martial arts.
Not until the early 80's that I rediscovered golf and gradually fell in onto the road of no return.
Before I had my own family ( I married late ), golf was the only thing in my life, besides work of course. Now I play about 40 rounds or so per year and seldom have time for practice.
I still carry a 2 iron in my bag, but I had givan in to push cart 17 months ago because of my shoulder injury.
Besides my family, golf is the main event in my life right now.