2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What was your first set of sticks?

JoeF

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First real set for me was a brand new set of Wilson Staff Patty Bergs. My Dad was a pro at a course an was at the time was a Wilson dealer. Played with them for a couple of years and earned enough money working around the course to purchase a set of Spalding Elite Irons and Power-Bilt woods driver 4 wood and 5 wood

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='Ricco' timestamp='1327027629' post='4121843']
1959 I was 6 years old, bought Wilson Sam Snead Young Champs with silver dollars my Grandfather had been giving me. If I remember correctly they cost 36 dollars at the local Western Auto store. I lost track of them and last Christmas my brother gave me back the driver. About 2 months ago I walk into a thrift store and find the 3,5,7,9 and 3 wood. Sweet spot on these irons the size of a BB! I wonder what the silver dollars would be worth?
[/quote]
Western Auto? There was one of those in my hometown.....Woodland, California. I haven't thought of that place in years!

Oh no! I can't remember the brand, but I do remember it was a half set w/ 3-5-7-9 PW.

I usually remember things that happened 50 years ago in perfect detail, but can't remember what I had for lunch.

You know what? One day soon I'm going to play with a half set of irons again. Who needs all that extra luggage? That's why we have a brain, right? We were made to think our way around a golf course.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

[quote name='Skip Castaneda' timestamp='1384514348' post='8152300']
My first set was a hand me down Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear irons. I don't remember what the woods were. I don't remember the putter either.
[/quote]

Fairfield !!! Right next door. I'm in Vacaville. Played Rancho Solano yesterday but prefer Paradise Valley. Paradise was packed since Rancho just aerated the greens. At least the greens were slow for once.

Anyway, I'm shamed and embarrassed to admit it but my first "set" of clubs was from about 50 years ago and was made up of found clubs.

We lived near a rinky-dink golf course. My dad played golf but didn't allow me to use his clubs. He paid me 5 cents for balls I'd find as I would sneak around the perimeter of the course early or late. A dollar went a long way in those days.

Every so often I'd find a club in the weeds. Don't know if they were thrown there or lost. But being 15 years old my judgement was a bit self-centered so kept the clubs.

I had a 3i, 8i, SW, and blade putter. My dad got me a K-mart driver for Christmas and I was set to go. Played with those clubs until college and then bought a half set D through SW of Tom Weiscoff over-length clubs from who knows where. Could not hit those at all - not a single club in the set. Money was tight so the clubs were endured until after college. Then the club-ho came out and it has been a never ending quest from there on.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

I qualify in the don't remember category. I know my grandma bought me and my brother H & B 5 irons that were appropriate for our size. 9 or 10 years old.
The first set I remember were some used Patty Berg's with the "reminder" grip. 3, 5, 7, 9, PW

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

Total mix & match, accumulated in the early 70s (I think I was 12):

Spalding Epic 1 wood, whippiest shaft ever (garage sale)
Spalding 3 wood (garage sale) - driver mostly stayed in my thin, green vinyl Sunday bag (dept. store), so this got lots of play.
Northwestern 3 & 5 irons (dept. store bought)
AMF Voit 7 iron (dept. store bought) - still have this one, starting to refer to it as "Rosebud".
Thin-faced, rusted, grooveless pitching wedge from the 50s (garage sale)
Northwestern putter, pseudo-8802 style (dept. store bought)

20 years later, first matched set of irons - Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scots.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

I think they were Walter Hagens: 2-8, no lofted clubs. Tan Pyratone shafts. They were in our basement and were probably my mom's old clubs. she would have gotten them 2nd or 3rd hadn from somebody when she started playing in the late 1950's. the grips were perforated leather and dryer than a popcorn fart.
Wilson 1,2,3 Dutch Harrison woods. Again from the basement. probably my dad's.
Burke Dead-eye. Bulls-eye style. I was probably 13.
when I was in grade school, my dad sawed off a hickory spoon or 4-wood for me. might have had adhesive tape for a grip. I think he did it so he could take me to the driving range with him when he was "babysitting" me. there was an old fashioned drive in about 5 miles away. Mostly a teenager hangout called the Corral. I would hack a dozen of his red stripers and ask him for a quarter. then I would run inside and play the Baseball pinball machine. 3 games for a quarter back then.
On rare occasions, he would take me to the golf course with him. I would sometimes hack sty way down the first hole and then go fishing in the creek over by the 4th and 5th holes while my dad and his pals continued. This was back 1959 or 60. No kidnappers or pedophiles back in the day...or so we thought. Of course, I could have gotten hit on the head with a golf ball.
Great memories. Mostly of being with Dad, one of the all-time super guys on this planet. Don't really remember much about the golf; but the fishing wasn't bad.
Uncle Bob

My dad bought me the prettiest set of Ram Doug Sanders...aluminum shafts. I think it was 1969.

The woods were laminated and the most vibrant wood grains I have ever seen. My dad wanted me to play the game so bad and I thought that golf was the dumbest sport in the world. I told him I wanted to play a sport that was more masculine...like tennis!

We ended up selling those clubs a couple years later. I took the game back up in 1976 and ended up being a teaching pro.

Today I realize what a great opportunity I had back then.

Still wish I had those Rams...

[quote name='garywdixon' timestamp='1384536175' post='8153736']
[quote name='Skip Castaneda' timestamp='1384514348' post='8152300']
My first set was a hand me down Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear irons. I don't remember what the woods were. I don't remember the putter either.
[/quote]

Fairfield !!! Right next door. I'm in Vacaville. Played Rancho Solano yesterday but prefer Paradise Valley. Paradise was packed since Rancho just aerated the greens. At least the greens were slow for once.

Anyway, I'm shamed and embarrassed to admit it but my first "set" of clubs was from about 50 years ago and was made up of found clubs.

We lived near a rinky-dink golf course. My dad played golf but didn't allow me to use his clubs. He paid me 5 cents for balls I'd find as I would sneak around the perimeter of the course early or late. A dollar went a long way in those days.

Every so often I'd find a club in the weeds. Don't know if they were thrown there or lost. But being 15 years old my judgement was a bit self-centered so kept the clubs.

I had a 3i, 8i, SW, and blade putter. My dad got me a K-mart driver for Christmas and I was set to go. Played with those clubs until college and then bought a half set D through SW of Tom Weiscoff over-length clubs from who knows where. Could not hit those at all - not a single club in the set. Money was tight so the clubs were endured until after college. Then the club-ho came out and it has been a never ending quest from there on.
[/quote]
Hello! I play Green Tree often. I prefer Rancho Solano. It's a wide open course that suits my game. Paradise is a miserable course for me. You probably frequent the same thrift shops I do. Oh no! I just gave away a secret! Haha! Actually my secret is still safe, I didn't say which thrift shops I go to for clubs. Think Hamburger Hill in Vacaville.

First clubs? A half set of Pinsplitter irons, a matching 3 wood, a Craigton driver, an "Ayrshire Golf" pitching wedge that was laughably flat and a half-hearted attempt at a bullseye style brass blade. I didn't have a sandwedge for several years. Half of those clubs had semi-detached grips. How did I ever get hooked on this stupid game?

As kids we used to get hickories from the local junk shop in Poole, Dorset. They didn't last long. Golf balls were in very short supply, this was the early 1950s, just post war, so we hit anything we could find. Fir cones, tennis balls, anything sort of round-ish served our purpose. However, one of those hickories, a baffy, lasted into my teens and was a go-to club when I was getting more into the game.
The first real set, when I was 14, was a set of Fred Daly Master Model by John Letters. They were great, but had uber-slick grips.. I managed without any wedge for many years, an explosion shot from sand worked.sort of OK, and the 9 iron served for pitching, The first sand wedge came along into my set in the early 70s.

I think the year was 1981 and grandma got me a set of Ram Tom Watson junior clubs. Persimmon driver and 4W I want to say, 5i, 7i, 9i, and putter I think it was. Little bullseye putter. Burgandy colored vinyl bag with a single nylon strap and one pocket.

It was waaaay better than set #2, which were my mom's hand-me-downs. Blue persimmons with a light blue vinyl bag with a white daisy on it. LOL!
My parents also got me a used girl's bike for my first bike. What the hell were they trying to do to me?? ha ha!

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1384725475' post='8163248']
I think the year was 1981 and grandma got me a set of Ram Tom Watson junior clubs. Persimmon driver and 4W I want to say, 5i, 7i, 9i, and putter I think it was. Little bullseye putter. Burgandy colored vinyl bag with a single nylon strap and one pocket.

[b]It was waaaay better than set #2, which were my mom's hand-me-downs. Blue persimmons with a light blue vinyl bag with a white daisy on it. LOL!
My parents also got me a used girl's bike for my first bike. What the hell were they trying to do to me??[/b] ha ha!
[/quote]
That's hilarious Mr (or is it Ms?) Divots. The fact that you survived all that is a testament to your inner strength. After going through something like that, a lot of guys would have ended up on Dr Phil at some point.

Back to topic. I don't remember my junior set, which were some used Spaldings (I think). First real set was '67-68 Top Flite Professional irons, and Izett woods. Both hand me downs from my dad. Still haven't found a 7 iron that I like as much as I liked the 7 iron from that set.

Tommy Armour Silver Scots!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Around 1978 - dad bought me a used 1/2 set of Hogan Apex irons. 3, 5, 7, 9 and E for equalizer! One of these days I am going to try and find a full set of those on eBay and get them restored refinished - for display Purposes only though. Buggered if I am going to try and hit hose things now :no: :)

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1384552602' post='8155034']
I think they were Walter Hagens: 2-8, no lofted clubs. Tan Pyratone shafts. They were in our basement and were probably my mom's old clubs. she would have gotten them 2nd or 3rd hadn from somebody when she started playing in the late 1950's. the grips were perforated leather and dryer than a popcorn fart.

[/quote]

Dryer than a ...what?

Despite 10 years in NYC and 20+ in LA I am a dyed in the wool Midwesterner, and I have never heard that expression. I will, of course, steal it.

Thank you, Uncle Bob

P.S. - hope the tornadoes didn't give you a scare. Didn't read anything about Elkhart so no news is good news in this instance.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was an old set of hogan apex's that got my swing to where it is today. I've gone thru ping zing, eye 2, lynx black cats... thank you fred couples... then dci b, then mizuno t zoid, mp 14, mp 32, 33, cleveland cg1, bridgestone j36, j40's and now my jdm 705x blades. Yup thats pretty much my timeline of golf irons. Never got into big bertha's or taylor made's with the bubble shafts. I was a feel player and needed that forged iron in my hand.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Wilson Reflexes. I hadn't really hit metal woods at that point. Day after Christmas in Chicago. Made a snow tee in the middle of a park near my house. Hit the ball so far (200 yards with my driver) that I about peed my pants. The Wilson's were a great starter set until I got my Golfsmith Penick's.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• 3 weeks later...

My first set was Titleist pro 100's 2-pw and 1,3,5 woods. I got them from my Grandpa, but for some idiotic reason sold them. Luckily this summer after looking for several years I found a set of model 100's, which came out a year later with the only change being the name, from pro 100 to model 100. I paid $10.00 for a 2-pw, and even though not exact, they have made me happy....

TM SLDR 11° Fujikura Fuel 60
TM SLDR 15° MRC Blueboard 73x5ct
9031DF 20°~23° Altus Black Tie, ADDI 105
Cally RAZR X Forged 5-AW, PX flighted
Dynacraft CNC Forged 56°&60°
Scotty Cameron Cali Monterey

my set was from the old man.

Howson DJ 100. Graphite shaft to.

Still have them, although eventually the 6 iron head went into the lake after a tee shot when it came off as soon as impact. 5 iron has tape around the shaft when i followed through on a shot not executing a punch shot that and killing on the ball and following through and its damaged

Still take them out if a friend wants a game and has no clubs

• 1 year later...

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1289573287' post='2786974']
Although I am recent convert to the grand game in a serious way, I have owned a set of clubs for about 25 years. I bought these from a bowling buddy who had upgraded his equipment. I still have these clubs stuck away in a corner of a tool shed -- Spalding Executive woods - 1, 3, 5 and Brunswick Dictator irons - 3-PW in BeCu. [b]They need a bit of restoration work, but they are still in playable condition.[/b]
[/quote]

I wasn't looking for this specifically, but this was one of the first posts I made when joining GolfWRX 5 years ago. Isn't it ironic that the bold type sentence above would be prescient of future events?

(cool)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa