2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)

22 minutes ago, GoTime said:

Everyone is different as you say, and IMO swing sequencing is by far the most important aspect. At one point not long ago I was deadlifting 495 for reps and front squatting around 400, but i couldn't even touch upper 110s and  @MonteScheinblum was and is still dusting my a** with his efficient swing.  Im at the point now where im not nearly as strong, but am still struggling to be maximally efficient or even really truly understand where and when to apply force.

I can barely deadlift and submarine sandwich and my own body weight to squat and stand up my own body weight is too much for me some days.  

Speed training, Strength and flexibility are fine, but there is no substitute for swinging better

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

38 minutes ago, GoTime said:

Everyone is different as you say, and IMO swing sequencing is by far the most important aspect. At one point not long ago I was deadlifting 495 for reps and front squatting around 400, but i couldn't even touch upper 110s and  @MonteScheinblum was and is still dusting my a** with his efficient swing.  Im at the point now where im not nearly as strong, but am still struggling to be maximally efficient or even really truly understand where and when to apply force.

16 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I can barely deadlift and submarine sandwich and my own body weight to squat and stand up my own body weight is too much for me some days.  

Speed training, Strength and flexibility are fine, but there is no substitute for swinging better

This is why the age old answer in sports performance to how strong someone needs to be is "strong enough". Most people that have done none or very little strength training will benefit from it. While there's examples of people that have gotten good results without, it doesn't mean they wouldn't be better with some training. Just like there's people in the NFL that don't lift, but obviously most do. As seen above though there's a point at which it doesn't help more. What that point is will depend on the skill you're trying to improve.

There are many benefits to getting stronger, not all of them direct:

1- durability. The best way to get better at something is to do it often. Stronger people (whether naturally or via training) tend to be more durable

2- able to produce more force

3- better able to maximize speed training. 

4- Stronger through a larger ROM. 

Now we can debate "how strong" someone has to be, and it will likely depend on the person. The key is to have performance indicators to determine if getting stronger is helping. If not, shift to maintenance and spend the time elsewhere (unless you just enjoy the pursuit of getting stronger in which case go for it).

Edited by Albatross Dreamer

6 minutes ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

This is why the age old answer in sports performance to how strong someone needs to be is "strong enough". Most people that have done none or very little strength training will benefit from it. While there's examples of people that have gotten good results without, it doesn't mean they wouldn't be better with some training. Just like there's people in the NFL that don't lift, but obviously most do. As seen above though there's a point at which it doesn't help more. What that point is will depend on the skill you're trying to improve.

There are many benefits to getting stronger, not all of them direct:

1- durability. The best way to get better at something is to do it often. Stronger people (whether naturally or via training) tend to be more durable

2- able to produce more force

3- better able to maximize speed training. 

4- Stronger through a larger ROM. 

Now we can debate "how strong" someone has to be, and it will likely depend on the person. The key is to have performance indicators to determine if getting stronger is helping. If not, shift to maintenance and spend the time elsewhere (unless you just enjoy the pursuit of getting stronger in which case go for it).

I have absolutely said those things are helpful.  I’m saying that’s not where the most can be gained for most people.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

12 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I have absolutely said those things are helpful.  I’m saying that’s not where the most can be gained for most people.

Oh I agree. Was just expanding on it for those that don't really know much about strength training. Wasn't trying to take your single quote out of context or anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

welcome on. Usually a 10% gain can be expected. If you couple that with lifting it will be more sustainable.

My update here is I seem to be stuck at 115, although its a 115 being week from illness all month, so I think I have a chance at 120 if not more later.

Thanks for reply. I think 10% would be a game changer for me...being almost two clubs less in on the second shot.....it would suit my course well....not to mention attacking our shortest par 4 without the fear of being short in the trees....we shall see...some work to do once the PRGR arrives.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Same as generating actual ball speed! There are huge advantages to good technique. 

Speed continues to build slowly… honestly, I’m at the point where I might need to work with a speed training coach if I want to make the next leap.

image.png.91973567dd8bdcd0ad3aeea1cbe7847a.png

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 1 month later...

I am going a speed challenge that closes in 1 week. Had a check in today. 5 swings in a row at 118 mph. Up from 109 back in December. I am almost to my goal of 120.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Hit 121 twice today! Did it! Now to get my swing in order 😋

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

• 3 months later...

I just purchased the Kinitex Hypersonic shaft or Supersonic can't remember getting too old, lol. I was hitting low to mid 130's with my older HOF XX shafts.  This new shaft weighs 48 grams and my SS jumped to 141-142. Technology is definitely getting better for LD!  If you are ever in TX give me a shout or come to a WLD competition and you can demo what I got! Keep at it! Don't give up, I almost did and know I am competing again.  The chase is on!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/30/2023 at 3:20 AM, CROCN said:

I just purchased the Kinitex Hypersonic shaft or Supersonic can't remember getting too old, lol. I was hitting low to mid 130's with my older HOF XX shafts.  This new shaft weighs 48 grams and my SS jumped to 141-142. Technology is definitely getting better for LD!  If you are ever in TX give me a shout or come to a WLD competition and you can demo what I got! Keep at it! Don't give up, I almost did and know I am competing again.  The chase is on!

Haha, my life took a turn, so I’ve been out of speed training for a bit.

ended up in the hospital in June and had over a foot of colon removed in October…

still recovering, but my winter plan is to get after it… once I’m healthy enough to swing a club again.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 8:58 AM, Myherobobhope said:

Haha, my life took a turn, so I’ve been out of speed training for a bit.

ended up in the hospital in June and had over a foot of colon removed in October…

still recovering, but my winter plan is to get after it… once I’m healthy enough to swing a club again.

Oh My God Omg GIF

7 hours ago, HeadCovered said:

Oh My God Omg GIF

Yeah, so apparently when you rupture a diverticula they just go ahead and remove everything below the hole…

so I no longer have the sigmoid portion of my colon… got cut open on Wednesday and was home Saturday…

haven’t swung a club since June.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 7/6/2020 at 5:27 PM, Myherobobhope said:

Since this forum doesn't get much traction, I'm going to put this here as my own personal journal on chasing club head speed... I'm hoping to discuss a variety of things as I chase boosting my club head speed to 120 mph (and beyond, if possible).

I currently sit a 6'4" the wrong side of 300lbs and 112 mph and I'm 38... I'm a big boy. I wrestled and golfed in high school and have always moved well for my size... distance off the tee has always been a strength, but never something I truly sought to maximize... I've decided in my quest to get fit to have an external goal outside of weight to chase down.Program: Fitness wise, I'm using the Fit for Golf app... I'm trying to get into the gym at least 5 times a week while still playing golf... being out of shape has made this more problematic, as gym time negatively impacts my play on the course, but I will play through the soreness and carry on. My feeling is, if I can swing a club decently on a deadlift day, I can swing a club well when I'm not deadlifting.Injury: This is a big concern, and I've already hurt myself... I didn't spend enough time on flexibility and have strained an oblique... I've been off my program and golf for a week (I'm bored, one of the reasons for this thread)... but everything is starting to feel better, so I'm hoping to start getting in some light forward progress moving forward (with a focus on flexibility to make sure I don't hurt myself again). My fitness program relies on short, heavy lifts... so I think once I get into better shape I will be better off overall... My weight is more likely to cause injury long term than my fitness... so I need to find something that works, regardless.Golf Side: I'm determined to not let my quest for distance interrupt my quest to be a better overall golfer... I won't just be spending time on the range swinging as hard as I can... There will be some of that, but I want to continue to develop my all around game. I don't want to add distance without also adding control, so that's going to be interesting to see if I can do it...

So that's the plan... last time I was on a Trackman (with PING) I was at 112mph. That was 3 weeks ago... with my hip hurt, I haven't really gone full out since then... I'm hoping to get on a monitor this next weekend and see what my "top" numbers are... then just continue my program and re-assess in a few weeks. Plan is to 1. Focus on flexibility right now, as I'm not comfortable lifting 2. Get back to lifting when I can 3. Get in as much golf as I can while I can...

Feel free to chime in, it's a dumb quest, but one I'm trying to commit to... Somewhat the anti-Bryson plan... eat less, drive more.

I have been up to 140+ CHS and cruise 130+ on course at 5ft 10in 200lbs. I think in terms of injury and easiest way to maximize without being crazy strenuous is med ball rotational exercises like overhead med ball slams and rotational scoop tosses that focus on explosive rotations with very little stress on the body. Anything explosive, Lower the weight and focus on speed amount of reps 10-15 reps per exercise it can quite literally be done with any exercise Explosive explosive explosive.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9* The Players Limited Edition Black/Gold Fujikura Ventus Black 7X / Taylormade SIM 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 IV TX Tipped 0.5" / Krank Formula Fire Pro 9* -1* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

PING G425 2 Hybrid 17* -1.5* GD Tour AD DI 105X Hybrid

Srixon Zx5 Mkii 3 Iron @ 19* DG 120 X100

Srixon Mkii Zx7 4-7 Iron, Srixon Z Forged II 8-PW DG X100 Hardstepped

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 50-54-60 MID DG S400

Putter: YES! Tracy 2 / Yes! Callie i4 Bronze / Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5

Srixon Z-Star XV / Left Dash Pro V1x

Tiktok: @tgrabowske

Social Media: @tgrabowske