2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)

20 hours ago, ChipStrokes said:

@Myherobobhope i’ll be following along. good luck on your journey into the 120s!! 

my course swing is somewhere between 128-130, and i've been as high as 140 at the range. 

That’s crazy fast. Nice work! 

I might need to figure out how to swing faster in my training… I’m not hugely different between training and on course. 

might be the next step in my progression… getting longer and faster in my backswing

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

53 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

That’s crazy fast. Nice work! 

I might need to figure out how to swing faster in my training… I’m not hugely different between training and on course. 

might be the next step in my progression… getting longer and faster in my backswing

what are you using to measure your speed ?

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

44 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

what are you using to measure your speed ?

PRGR. 

Hit 121 (modified speed) with the stack today… I’ve hit 121 with driver before on the same device… 

I’ve been swinging full but trying to keep decent form… maybe I need to abandon it for a bit and just go fast.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 minute ago, Myherobobhope said:

PRGR. 

Hit 121 (modified speed) with the stack today… I’ve hit 121 with driver before on the same device… 

I’ve been swinging full but trying to keep decent form… maybe I need to abandon it for a bit and just go fast.

it could be useful just to see where your ceiling is. 

i usually end each range session with 10-12 full out kamikaze driver swings. i’ve got 0 concern about where the ball goes. 

• Like 1

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

4 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

PRGR. 

I’m not sure what others have experienced but for me I don’t hit anywhere near my PRs unless I’m swinging with some decent form. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

it could be useful just to see where your ceiling is. 

i usually end each range session with 10-12 full out kamikaze driver swings. i’ve got 0 concern about where the ball goes. 

Yeah. I was worried about destroying my regular swing but it’s MIA anyways, so might as well give it a try!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Just now, chadly643 said:

I’m not sure what others have experienced but for me I don’t hit anywhere near my PRs unless I’m swinging with some decent form. 

Oh yeah, I’m not going to go Billy Madison or anything, but I can probably get faster and longer on my backswing… nothing I’d take to the course but should be good for a few MPH.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Just now, Myherobobhope said:

Yeah. I was worried about destroying my regular swing but it’s MIA anyways, so might as well give it a try!

i don’t mean this to come across as rooting my own horn, so please don’t take it that way. 

i’ve been an athlete all my life. it’s easy for me to differentiate between training reps and practice or game reps. 

• Like 1

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

7 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Oh yeah, I’m not going to go Billy Madison or anything, but I can probably get faster and longer on my backswing… nothing I’d take to the course but should be good for a few MPH.

I’ve experience a point of diminishing returns with backswing length. If I let my arms go any longer than my shoulder rotation, my swing is slower. If my club gets to where Rory’s is I swing my fastest, anything that starts to get to where Phil gets or John Daly’s and I’m slower. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChipStrokes said:

i don’t mean this to come across as rooting my own horn, so please don’t take it that way. 

i’ve been an athlete all my life. it’s easy for me to differentiate between training reps and practice or game reps. 

No worries. My biggest issue right now is my range is closed, so I can't get in "good" driver swings... I'd be in a worse spot if I hadn't been doing the speed training... might as well kick it up a notch and see if I can set some PRs.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

10 hours ago, chadly643 said:

I’ve experience a point of diminishing returns with backswing length. If I let my arms go any longer than my shoulder rotation, my swing is slower. If my club gets to where Rory’s is I swing my fastest, anything that starts to get to where Phil gets or John Daly’s and I’m slower. 

Yeah, it's an interesting problem for me... the Stack tracks both fastest one time speed and fastest average speed, so I tend to stick with what I "know" works instead of trying various different swings to see what is truly fastest... I think I need to blow up my routine for the last phase, and see if i can set some one time PRs and test which swing mechanics lead to faster swings... the other issue, I think, is some of the stuff that I do works well in the short term, but isn't necessarily the road to growth... I was swinging the lightest weight fastest with  really short swing (And using my arms a ton)... but I wasn't getting any faster with it... 

My biggest struggle is keeping motivated and making sure I'm swinging all out every 2 days... but I've been speed training since November, so maybe I'm just burned out.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

Yeah, it's an interesting problem for me... the Stack tracks both fastest one time speed and fastest average speed, so I tend to stick with what I "know" works instead of trying various different swings to see what is truly fastest... I think I need to blow up my routine for the last phase, and see if i can set some one time PRs and test which swing mechanics lead to faster swings... the other issue, I think, is some of the stuff that I do works well in the short term, but isn't necessarily the road to growth... I was swinging the lightest weight fastest with  really short swing (And using my arms a ton)... but I wasn't getting any faster with it... 

My biggest struggle is keeping motivated and making sure I'm swinging all out every 2 days... but I've been speed training since November, so maybe I'm just burned out.

Interesting. Maybe experimenting with some different moves/feels will reinvigorate you…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chadly643 said:

Interesting. Maybe experimenting with some different moves/feels will reinvigorate you…

Currently in the gym putting in sweat equity… 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Oh man, finally realized my hip tightness was costing me speed...so now I'm in rebuilding mode... Jon Rahm stretches in the morning and trying to do more hip / glute strengthening at the gym.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 2/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, ChipStrokes said:

so i competed nationally in both powerlifting and olympic lifting, along with coaching and training athletes for over 10 years and i’ve never heard of a “power clean deadlift” 

what the hell are you talking about?

Power clean deadlifts are nothing more than the "deadlift" part of the power clean, which will be generally much less than a regular deadlift and easier on the body long term. I'm 56 and have had back surgery and have no acl in my left knee so I have learned to be prudent regarding training so that I can stay in the gym and play golf.

I have a friend at the gym a few years older than me who was a competitive powerlifter and bodybuilder in the 80's and won various state titles in NY and NJ. However, the steroids and super heavy weights have taken a big toll on his body, not only his back and knees but also his heart. He regrets not only using steroids but also the super heavy training as well, such as deadlifts and deep squats, which all but destroyed his knees.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

5 minutes ago, chipa said:

Power clean deadlifts are nothing more than the "deadlift" part of the power clean

the closest thing i can think of to what you’re attempting to describe is an exercise called “clean grip deadlifts” which are a positional accessory exercise for cleans. 

they’re in no way a top end strength building movement or an explosive strength builder.

they’re also done with weight above your 1RM clean. 

so again, i really don’t know what you’re talking about. 

Edited by ChipStrokes
  • Like 1

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

2 hours ago, ChipStrokes said:

the closest thing i can think of to what you’re attempting to describe is an exercise called “clean grip deadlifts” which are a positional accessory exercise for cleans. 

they’re in no way a top end strength building movement or an explosive strength builder.

they’re also done with weight above your 1RM clean. 

so again, i really don’t know what you’re talking about. 

I think it’s just a shortened deadlift? Like he basically stops at knee height instead of completing the lift? Basically the point in the lift where your technique changes for a power clean? 

I’ve never done power cleans, so I have no idea!

currently focused on my hip strength… finished out my 2nd session with the stack and will do a progress check this week. 

i think my tight left hip is a major issue for me to progress with… going to attack it with some TPI stuff and see what happens.

it’s currently marinating in tiger balm.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 minute ago, Myherobobhope said:

I think it’s just a shortened deadlift? Like he basically stops at knee height instead of completing the lift? Basically the point in the lift where your technique changes for a power clean? 

no sir. he just doesn’t know what he’s talking about. but i promise i’ll stop detailing your thread about it 

• Like 1

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

2 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

i think my tight left hip is a major issue for me to progress with… going to attack it with some TPI stuff and see what happens.

couch stretch 2:00 each side each day. 

those hips and your lower back will open up like a prom date’s legs. 

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

30 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

couch stretch 2:00 each side each day. 

those hips and your lower back will open up like a prom date’s legs. 

Hopefully not my prom date! I’ll give it a look. I have some lingering tightness basically right above the outside of my butt… I think it’s from the back injury from awhile ago… I have 0 pain, it just remains tight. 

During my speed training on days it felt stiff I was noticeably slower… also, I probably shouldn’t have extreme tightness in one small area of my body regardless of how it impacts my speed training.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

10 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

Hopefully not my prom date! I’ll give it a look. I have some lingering tightness basically right above the outside of my butt… I think it’s from the back injury from awhile ago… I have 0 pain, it just remains tight. 

During my speed training on days it felt stiff I was noticeably slower… also, I probably shouldn’t have extreme tightness in one small area of my body regardless of how it impacts my speed training.

we’re all rife with imbalances. im

extremely flexible and mobile but my left glute is noticeably tighter than my right, and not for lack of trying. 

here’s the couch stretch. Kelly Starrett is a mobility guru. 

Edited by ChipStrokes
  • Like 3

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

Go follow @squatuniversity on IG. Aaron is a go-to for functional strength and/or mobility imbalances with regards to diagnosis and rehab. 

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, progress is never linear... chasing speed without swinging actual drivers had its plusses and minuses... I ended up getting very... rotational? basically, I was trying to add length with a bigger shoulder turn and instead basically killed my timing and put my hands into a bad position... I think it's similar to what Rory did with his swing... 

Got that sorted out but haven't been able to hit a ball on a driving range yet... Will rectify that tomorrow, hopefully...

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Need to make sure Im actually hitting balls with my driver… swing got wonky. 

I’ve got the basics sorted out but need some time to get my timing sorted out… I’m not unhappy with the time I’ve spent speed training, but my driver swing isn’t where it needs to be.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Something recently that I feel has added speed is working on weight shift. It was a post or video from the AMG boys about weight shift. So I've been working on trying to get back to my lead side sooner. Only got a couple practice sessions in but was noticeably faster.  For a fat 40yo that is. 

• Like 2

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

11 hours ago, Yrrdead said:

Something recently that I feel has added speed is working on weight shift. It was a post or video from the AMG boys about weight shift. So I've been working on trying to get back to my lead side sooner. Only got a couple practice sessions in but was noticeably faster.  For a fat 40yo that is. 

This is definitely an issue for me... both being a fat 40 year old AND shifting my weight through...

Stack has me do "step through" swings right now... and I've seen some big numbers... I know I'm capable of better with my regular swing, just need to figure out the how of it. (I hit 117 with the stack empty on a step through... which is about 5 mph faster than I've hit elsewhere)

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 1 month later...

Driver swing is feeling good... course is wet, so no roll, but carried one about 297 yesterday... everything is still a work in progress... I tried to go after one yesterday just for fun and made good contact but was right of where I needed to be... Need to get some swings with my driver on my radar and see what it's looking like.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

4 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

Driver swing is feeling good... course is wet, so no roll, but carried one about 297 yesterday... everything is still a work in progress... I tried to go after one yesterday just for fun and made good contact but was right of where I needed to be... Need to get some swings with my driver on my radar and see what it's looking like.

297 carry? Cmon now. I haven't really been following along, but that's gotta be pretty darn close to 120!

• Myherobobhope changed the title to Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)