DeChambeau bad for the game?

Fairway14

3 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

My mistake.  I don’t know why I thought I read that about the softer shaft.  Did a little follow up research, turns out he counter balanced with a wooden dowel filled with lead.  Pretty inventive.  

Also liked his grips hard as a rock for some reason. But whatever he did, he was finding the middle!

Edit:  glad you found the bit about counterweighting.  It's amazing how someone (not you) somewhere along the line puts Jack in a blurb about wrapping grips with lead tape and then over time it just gets included over and over again until some folks think it's fact.  Internet "facts" can be a puzzle. LOL, very similar to some dodo starting a thread claiming Jaime Diaz and Rory were calling for the Bryson-proofing of golf courses which was totally made up, but 20% of the people reacting to the thread title and first post simply accept that as a fact and rip on them because of a troll effort.

Here's from the guy who did Jack's clubs. https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2004/04/03/clubmaker-counterbalanced-jack-nicklauss-golf-club/

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I think if you would change your term "amateurs" to Beginners, it would make your point far better. What you describe in every post is a beginner who has no skill other than what they were born with. Amateurs vary greatly from that. There are TONS of amateurs who would benefit greatly from added tee shot length, just as there are tons who would benefit from short game work. Making blanket statements saying looking for more distance won't work for amateurs is just not true. BTW, I agree with your posts 100% as pertaining to beginners.

BT

My comments are based from decades of observing relatively high level amateur play, for example players shooting in a range of 68 to 82 either in regular play or tournament competition. For this group averaging a score of about 75 or 76 it is rare that the longest hitter in a foursome or tournament field shoots the lowest score. Usually the long hitter has grooved a swing to produce power more so than accuracy. And the power swinger's driver swing usually does not lend itself to play the different trajectory and shaped shots needed to consistently shoot low scores. And the amateur power player's  "full on big turn hard pace" swing style usually does not lend itself well to playing the touch shots need on and around the greens.

I've seen lots of amateur power players who hit their drivers, 5-irons, 8-irons etc...shots a long distance, it's just not that hard to do. But very, very few of them have a good short game and are able to consistently shoot 75 or better. In contrast, the relatively short but straight hitting players with great touch on and around the greens are usually the ones who consistently shoot the lowest scores.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

42 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Not really. Consider that long hitters traditionally do not have excellent wedges game and, or, putt very well. And some of the long drive competitors don't even play golf and, or, shoot above 85.

There is a popular misperception that a player having 120 yard approach shots all day will shoot a lower score than the player having 170 yard approach shots. But that 50 yards of extra tee ball distance means nothing if the longer driver does not have the skills to strike reasonably accurate iron and wedges shots, precise chips, make putts etc....

On Tour all the players have excellent short games, so for that level of play the extra tee ball yardage may provide a scoring benefit. But for the amateur game, where horrible short games are common, extra tee box yardage and, or, hitting lesser clubs into the greens, may not provide any scoring benefit.

I think it's best if amateurs disregard what's happening when a Tour pro gains some tee box yardage and starts winning more tournaments. That factor is only relevant in a tournament field where every player has a sensational short game. 

I am 100% certain my scores will improve if my approach shots are from 50 yards closer to the green. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

There is a popular misperception that a player having 120 yard approach shots all day will shoot a lower score than the player having 170 yard approach shots.

If this, if that, if the other thing. If you were Napoleon you'd be dead. :classic_wink:

You should be in politics. :classic_laugh:

Tell ya what. Put me 50 in front of a golfer with similar distance/handicap/ability on every hole and I'll take the bet for whatever you can afford to lose.

That shouldn't surprise anybody though. Frankly, I doubt there's any serious 'capper around WRX under 10 or so that wouldn't take that bet. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I think he's good for the game, shows more than one way to play and displays skill most only wish they had (playing out of rough, short game after the bomb/gouge drive)

• Like 1

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

45 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

My comments are based from decades of observing relatively high level amateur play, for example players shooting in a range of 68 to 82 either in regular play or tournament competition. For this group averaging a score of about 75 or 76 it is rare that the longest hitter in a foursome or tournament field shoots the lowest score. Usually the long hitter has grooved a swing to produce power more so than accuracy. And the power swinger's driver swing usually does not lend itself to play the different trajectory and shaped shots needed to consistently shoot low scores. And the amateur power player's  "full on big turn hard pace" swing style usually does not lend itself well to playing the touch shots need on and around the greens.

I've seen lots of amateur power players who hit their drivers, 5-irons, 8-irons etc...shots a long distance, it's just not that hard to do. But very, very few of them have a good short game and are able to consistently shoot 75 or better. In contrast, the relatively short but straight hitting players with great touch on and around the greens are usually the ones who consistently shoot the lowest scores.

Just keep trolling it.  Made up over-generalizations.

38 minutes ago, GSDriver said:

I think he's good for the game, shows more than one way to play and displays skill most only wish they had (playing out of rough, short game after the bomb/gouge drive)

I agree. As I said earlier, some people don't like change and BD's approach to the game is very unique. It works for him. Will other people mimic what he is doing? Only time will tell.