Dynamic Gold shafts

TonyDAnnunzio

I have been out of golf for a little over 20 years and recently got the bug to start playing again...  I am using my Ping ISI 2-GW with Rifle 6.5 shafts.  Back when I played on a consistent basis I got down to a 3 HC and had a decent game.  Obviously, my game and my swing are not nearly as strong as they were 20 years ago.  I still hit my irons roughly the same distance as I did but I feel like I am swinging telephone polls and would like to re-shaft my irons with Dynamic Gold S300 or R300...  

What I have noticed is the prices in golf shafts have increased dramatically in the last 20 years.  While shopping around for Dynamic Gold shafts I am seeing prices in the range of $23.99/shaft while finding complete new sets of Dynamic Gold shafts on ebay in the $90 range.  My questions are, are the Dynamic Gold shafts found for such lower prices genuine True Temper shafts?  Is there some difference I am missing between the $23.99/shaft Dynamic Golds and the $90/set Dynamic Golds?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably they are pretty abundant. Just be sure they are what you want. There's several varieties of DG. There's tour issue, 120's, SL's, AMT, XP's....it goes on. Tour issue tend to be the priciest. Basic full weight S300/S400 is probably what you are desiring seeing you have 6.5 Rifle. Possible you may want descending weight but constant is the standard. So in short, no, doubt there is a counterfeit ring involved here.

You can find the same set if that is what you want for like 1/3 of the cost of reshafting with new shafts.  Pulls will always be cheaper, but again, unless you are doing the work yourself, you'll be paying more.    

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Hey guys...  thanks for the replies...  I will be doing the work myself.  I will have to dig all of my stuff out but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Before the ISI's I played 845's with DG X100's and really liked the ball flight.  I could do more with the ball as far as keeping the trajectory down.  I put the Rifles in my ISI's about a year or so before I got out of playing and never really liked the ball flight.  I also feel the Rifles gave sort of a "muted" feel and had to really work hard to keep the ball down.  As a comparison, I went to the range today and hit my son's Taylor Made 360's with 5.5 "flighted" Rifles.  I was about a club shorter than with the Pings and was hitting moon shots.  No matter what I did I could not keep the ball down...  I am sure a good deal of it has to do with the CG of the different club heads and I am sure my swing and ball striking is not what it used to be...

However, I really like the Rifles in the ISI long irons...  I will use my 2 iron off the tee on shorter par 4's or when the hole may be tight...  maybe I should be looking for a shaft that has a softer flex but will keep the same characteristics as my current shafts in the long irons but produce a lower flight in the short irons/wedges...  do you all have any suggestions?

Most likely what you will find on ebay are the real deal but never know if they are hard stepped or soft stepped or standard straight in...  Be sure to try and gather as much info as possible if you arent sure or maybe put out a WTB here for what you are looking for.  I am a big fan of DG and think that you can find them on the used market for a steal.  I am with you, DG are easier to flight down than any other shaft, but I can still hit them high or work either way.  I can't say that about other iron shafts even though I am a fan of a few others as well.  The DG S300 120 might be worth a look... a tad lighter than the regular s300 and feel a touch softer in flex to me.  

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

10 hours ago, TonyDAnnunzio said:

Hey guys...  thanks for the replies...  I will be doing the work myself.  I will have to dig all of my stuff out but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Before the ISI's I played 845's with DG X100's and really liked the ball flight.  I could do more with the ball as far as keeping the trajectory down.  I put the Rifles in my ISI's about a year or so before I got out of playing and never really liked the ball flight.  I also feel the Rifles gave sort of a "muted" feel and had to really work hard to keep the ball down.  As a comparison, I went to the range today and hit my son's Taylor Made 360's with 5.5 "flighted" Rifles.  I was about a club shorter than with the Pings and was hitting moon shots.  No matter what I did I could not keep the ball down...  I am sure a good deal of it has to do with the CG of the different club heads and I am sure my swing and ball striking is not what it used to be...

However, I really like the Rifles in the ISI long irons...  I will use my 2 iron off the tee on shorter par 4's or when the hole may be tight...  maybe I should be looking for a shaft that has a softer flex but will keep the same characteristics as my current shafts in the long irons but produce a lower flight in the short irons/wedges...  do you all have any suggestions?

Well Rifle's have  get up faster profile. You may be liking them in long irons for that reason. I like Rifle's too, but they are not low launch. I find Rifle in 5.0 & ones in 7.5 fly exactly the same in terms of launch & peak height. I will get a DG like launch if I play them like a knock down.  Good money spent here is go get a shaft fitting. Might be able to do it for free but there's a lot product out there and probably worth the time & money to explore this.

You can find brand new shafts on Ebay for much less than retail. I got a set of eight DG AMT Tour White (~$38 each) for $120.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Guys, thanks again for the replies and advice...

I went to the True Temper site and did their interactive "shaft fitting"...  I know it's not as accurate as going to a club fitter but right now my swing is so inconsistent and the closest club fitter I would trust is over an hour away...  the True Temper site suggested either a R300 or S300 as I hit my 7 iron between 155 and 160 yards not trying to "stand on it".  

I ended up ordering a set of Dynamic Gold S300's and am going to soft step them one step.  

Im 56 years old, hit my 7 iron 160, and play s300.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

18 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

The DG S300 120 might be worth a look... a tad lighter than the regular s300 and feel a touch softer in flex to me.  

I have only played Dynamic Gold shafts since 1998, the s300 for the most part. My last 2 sets, MP20 and JPX 919F I ordered direct from Mizuno with the 120 version. To me the 120 feels slightly firmer/harsher, definitely not softer. Not enough to effect anything. I have heard similar from other Dynamic Gold fans. But everyone's feel is different.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red