Planning/Rambling for 2021 - Shooting For + Cap

Celebros

Damn I didn’t realize that. But it really is one up and down and one putt to get to plus. The internet never fails to make someone trying to help, feel like an a******. 

• Haha 2

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

• 4 weeks later...

Now that schedules are out for this year, I have some tournaments on the docket:

March 21, 2021 - Clovernook Country Club (Cincinnati, OH - Langford & Moreau, 1923) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

I'm an architecture geek and have never played any Langford & Moreau courses.  Nice early season event and chance to play a course I've yet to get on.

April 3, 2021 - Country Club of the North (Xenia, OH - Jack Nicklaus/Chet Williams, 1993) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

April 25, 2021 - Springfield Country Club (Springfield, OH - Donald Ross, 1922) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

May 17, 2021 - Heritage Club (Mason, OH - P.B. Dye, 1996) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

May 22-23, 2021 - Apple Valley Golf Club (Howard, OH - Bill Newcomb/John Robinson, 1972) - OPGA Mid-Amateur Championship

June 28, 2021 - Columbus Country Club (Columbus, OH - Donald Ross, 1915) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

Hosted the 1964 PGA Championship.  A recent restoration has it looking great.

Edited by Celebros
  • Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

• 4 weeks later...

Other than planning for upcoming tournaments, my winter has been spent getting in better shape.  When left to my own devices, I tend to expand to 190-195 pounds (at 5' 9").  I have a relatively athletic build, so most of that just ends up around the middle.  I've been working on my diet, seriously cutting back on alcohol (IPA fan), and have been working out with the RMT Club (pictured below).  The one if have is four pounds (the standard weight/weight recommended by the company for most people) and the "club" is filled with metal shot, almost like a big maraca.  I was looking for some sort of exercise thing/plan/etc that wouldn't require much/any equipment, not take up much space, and be usable in my living room.  This thing fit the bill.  I've also been doing a bit of yoga as well (Yoga With Adriene on YouTube), though I really need to get a better/more consistent routine down.

I'm down to 173 pounds at present (was 193 when I started paying attention to things).  Compared to normal offseasons (I'm in Ohio so winter really is the offseason), I'm feeling pretty good heading into the spring as far as where my body is at.

I did make a putter change at the end of November, moving from a RIFE Mr. Beasley to a PING Heppler Fetch.  Both face-balanced mallets so no big change there - the Heppler Fetch just suits my eye better.  Other than that, there are no equipment changes going into this year.

RMT Club.jpg

Edited by Celebros
  • Like 2

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

On 12/28/2020 at 9:40 AM, Celebros said:

Now that schedules are out for this year, I have some tournaments on the docket:

March 21, 2021 - Clovernook Country Club (Cincinnati, OH - Langford & Moreau, 1923) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

I'm an architecture geek and have never played any Langford & Moreau courses.  Nice early season event and chance to play a course I've yet to get on.

April 3, 2021 - Country Club of the North (Xenia, OH - Jack Nicklaus/Chet Williams, 1993) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

April 26, 2021 - The Club at Tartan Fields (Dublin, OH - Arnold Palmer/Ed Seay, 1998) - TheGrint Tour Event

May 17, 2021 - Heritage Club (Mason, OH - P.B. Dye, 1996) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

May 22, 2021 - Elks Run Golf Course (Batavia, OH - Greg Norman/Tad Burnett, 1999) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

June 1, 2021 - NCR Country Club (North) (Dayton, OH - Dick Wilson, 1954) - Ohio Amateur Qualifier

NCR CC is only about 15 minutes from my house and I've played the North course 5-6 times, so I feel comfortable choosing this event as my Ohio Amateur Qualifier site (there are 3-4 others around the state).  This is not the South course which hosted the 1969 PGA Championship, 1986 US Women's Open, and the 2005 US Senior Open, but still a nice track and was built at the same time and by the same architect.

June 28, 2021 - Columbus Country Club (Columbus, OH - Donald Ross, 1915) - GolfWeek Am Tour Event

Hosted the 1964 PGA Championship.  A recent restoration has it looking great.

August 23-25, 2021 - Sylvania Country Club (Sylvania, OH - Willie Park Jr, 1916) - Ohio Mid Amateur Championship

This is a three day event with a cut after the first two rounds.  Another neat golden age course I've yet to play as well, apparently nicely restored in the last 5-10 years after some tweaks from Arthur Hills and others over the preceding decades.

Get familiar with the greens at Clovernook.  Keep tee shots in play.  Not a long course, with some very short par 5's.

16 hours ago, mikpga said:

Get familiar with the greens at Clovernook.  Keep tee shots in play.  Not a long course, with some very short par 5's.

Yeah, I've heard the greens are a good test.  Hopefully I'll be able to get down to play a practice round, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.

Tidbit about Clovernook - apparently they are signed on to work with Brian Schneider from Renaissance Golf (i.e. Tom Doak's company) - I don't think any work has started yet, but it sounds like the course should get a nice sprucing up before too long.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

On 1/25/2021 at 10:30 AM, Celebros said:

Other than planning for upcoming tournaments, my winter has been spent getting in better shape.  When left to my own devices, I tend to expand to 190-195 pounds (at 5' 9").  I have a relatively athletic build, so most of that just ends up around the middle.  I've been working on my diet, seriously cutting back on alcohol (IPA fan), and have been working out with the RMT Club (pictured below).  The one if have is four pounds (the standard weight/weight recommended by the company for most people) and the "club" is filled with metal shot, almost like a big maraca.  I was looking for some sort of exercise thing/plan/etc that wouldn't require much/any equipment, not take up much space, and be usable in my living room.  This thing fit the bill.  I've also been doing a bit of yoga as well (Yoga With Adriene on YouTube), though I really need to get a better/more consistent routine down.

I'm down to 173 pounds at present (was 193 when I started paying attention to things).  Compared to normal offseasons (I'm in Ohio so winter really is the offseason), I'm feeling pretty good heading into the spring as far as where my body is at.

I did make a putter change at the end of November, moving from a RIFE Mr. Beasley to a PING Heppler Fetch.  Both face-balanced mallets so no big change there - the Heppler Fetch just suits my eye better.  Other than that, there are no equipment changes going into this year.

RMT Club.jpg

Love the RMT club. What workouts are you doing with it? I've found a couple on Youtube that focus on golf & the RMT but curious what you may be onto?

3 hours ago, jml4 said:

Love the RMT club. What workouts are you doing with it? I've found a couple on Youtube that focus on golf & the RMT but curious what you may be onto?

Yeah, I've really just been doing a variety of the exercises that were on the WeckMethod/RMT Club YouTube page to this point.

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

• 1 month later...

First tournament of the year was yesterday at Clovernook CC in Cincinnati, OH.  I hadn't played the course before and didn't get a chance to play a practice round, which combined with only having one proper round under my belt this year led me to temper my expectations.  I managed to scout out the course online/via TheGrint app to get my tee shots planned out though, which on this course was very relevant as quite a few Par 4s require less than driver to not run through the fairways/into deep swales or creeks.  Course was tough for its yardage - tight/tree lined, small undulating greens, lots of big dropoffs around greens.

Shot an uneven round of 77, with four birdies, but three doubles (one due to a flubbed chip and the other two due primarily to a couple of poor lag putts).  Started the round with a birdie and also birdied 17 and 18 (hitting wedges to tap-in range for both), so finishing strong felt good.  Overall I'm happy with my performance - particularly given my lack of play heading into it.

I have three more GolfWeek Am Tour events coming up across April and May, with the focus on getting ready for the OPGA Mid-Am Championship on May 22-23rd.

Handicap moved from 0.3 to 0.6, but I have a 10-round stretch of scores set to come off, of which only two are currently used for my handicap - so there are gains to be made coming up.

Edited by Celebros
  • Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

For fitness, check out the Mirror.  Great and varied content, and doesn't take up much room or require much equipment.  Really game changing and fun for the whole family.  Let me know if you have questions about it.

Current WITB:

Titleist TSR3 9.5 - Ventus Velocore Black 6X / Tensei 1K Black 6TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3+ - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 7X

Taylor Made UDI 2 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Taylor Made P790 3 and 4 - KBS C-Taper 120S

Taylor Made P760 5-PW - KBS C-Taper 120S

Callaway MD5 Jaws 52.12 W and 58.12 X - DG 115 Wedge

Toulon Las Vegas 2022 - Stroke Lab 34"