UA Golf Tour

AUSweeper

No experience, but based on the chart below it seems like it would be most beneficial for really young kids. Having 12+ year olds playing from those yardages and only playing 9 holes seems pretty counterproductive to their development. Once you hit 12 you should really be playing 18 hole tournaments. 

IMO it would be like having high school baseball players play their games on a tee-ball field. 

Age Group

6 to 9

10 to 13

14 to 18

Caddies Allowed

Yes

Yes

No

Yardage

9 Short Holes

Par 3s (75-125 yards)

Par 4s (160-200 yards)

Par 5s (200-250 yards)

9 Holes from the Forward Tees (Red Tees)

(2500 yards)

9 Holes

Boys (3100-3400)

Girls (2700-3000)

• Like 1

Honestly I don't see the attraction is when I look at there is a basically a $295 registration fee to commit to 6  events that are short and 9 holes. 

It to me looks like a tour that coaches get involved in and put there students in.  This reminds me of the  top50jr tour. From experience I say stay far away from these tournaments your better off playing with a group of local kids that hang out at the local muni course.

I know PGA junior sections have their issues but for younger kids they are the best. Then maybe USKids local tours???? at least with local US kids there is some structure.

If your looking for a better tournament stick to things that some people actually travel more then 50 miles to the event.  

Edited by tiger1873

My son played in it with some of his teammates / friends.   This is like little league.   Local league , then all stars move on to face other areas.    This is not designed to compete with high level tours.    This is a way for younger kids to enter golf and have fun in the process.  Less intimidating for them than other golf tours.    

This is new a few years and growing rapidly.   This is not “ travel golf”.   If your kid is a ringer then this is probably beneath them.   But It is fun, kids play against the same kids over a 6 game season.  They get a lot of swag as well.   Under Armour. 

Would recommend for younger kids still finding their place in the junior golf world.    

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GolfSRQ said:

My son played in it with some of his teammates / friends.   This is like little league.   Local league , then all stars move on to face other areas.    This is not designed to compete with high level tours.    This is a way for younger kids to enter golf and have fun in the process.  Less intimidating for them than other golf tours.    

This is new a few years and growing rapidly.   This is not “ travel golf”.   If your kid is a ringer then this is probably beneath them.   But It is fun, kids play against the same kids over a 6 game season.  They get a lot of swag as well.   Under Armour. 

Would recommend for younger kids still finding their place in the junior golf world.    

Why not just play US Kids local tours?  Much better to support local PGA junior sections for kids learning how to play.  I know here in South Florida they have multiple divisions and they trying to get younger kids to play with their linkster divisions.

Tours like this just end up ruining better tours. I say this because I would venture to guess in a place like South Florida you might be lucky to have 100-200 kids play golf that under 10.  To be honest it's probaly a lot less then that. Add more tours for younger kids and it just hurts everyone.  

It's sad when you show up week after week and see the same 4-5 girls play in 3 or 4 different tours. A lot us joke we should invite the kids for a 4 some and pay junior green fees it all save us a ton of time and money. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

It's sad when you show up week after week and see the same 4-5 girls play in 3 or 4 different tours. A lot us joke we should invite the kids for a 4 some and pay junior green fees it all save us a ton of time and money. 

I would agree when its 3-4 players.  But when its the same groups of girls I know my daughter enjoyed it.  We probably had 20 or so that played a lot of the same middle Atlantic PKB.  She was nervous at first.  First year playing and new girls.  After that she was usually paired up with someone from the previous tourney and the next tournament maybe someone from USKG she knew.  One tournament it was with a girl she had been paired up with 4 other times.  They just talked and talked.  It was great watch.

She loved it.  As did I.  Maybe some of the parents wish the girls would have bucketed down more, but to see them laugh and not be inside a phone for 5 hours (love it).  You could hear some of their discussions.  Most of the parents were cool as well.

22 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Once you hit 12 you should really be playing 18 hole tournaments. 

Totally agree if you have the experience.  My son has only been golfing since 13/14.  I wish something like this was around.  I agree though if you are wanting to be competitive you need the 18 and even 36 hole events.  I never forced him into playing tournaments but was like listen coaches are coming to the range to recruit.

51 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Why not just play US Kids local tours?  Much better to support local PGA junior sections for kids learning how to play.  I know here in South Florida they have multiple divisions and they trying to get younger kids to play with their linkster divisions.

USKG and your section PGA can be a toss up as to who comes out.  You could finish dead last in every event in USKG and then take away trophies in UA.

We have  a kid here in VA.  2022 kid.  He will never play in the championship bracket of MAPGA 36 hole events.  He plays in what is called patriot.  The tees are moved up about 1200 yards.  They usually get 5-8 boys.  You can view his recruiting and it will talk about how he finished 1st at this events. 

No mention of it being the patriot division.

I talked to his father one event.  I asked him when is your son coming to the big boy league?

1 hour ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

I talked to his father one event.  I asked him when is your son coming to the big boy league?

Does he understand that no one is looking at is kid playing an event with 5 kids from 6000 yards?  Does he also understand that winning isn't the most important thing in terms of recruitment?

Reminds me of Kramer in the Seinfeld episode beating up the kids in karate class.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

2 hours ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

I would agree when its 3-4 players.  But when its the same groups of girls I know my daughter enjoyed it.  We probably had 20 or so that played a lot of the same middle Atlantic PKB.  She was nervous at first.  First year playing and new girls.  After that she was usually paired up with someone from the previous tourney and the next tournament maybe someone from USKG she knew.  One tournament it was with a girl she had been paired up with 4 other times.  They just talked and talked.  It was great watch.

I know they like it and it can be a lot fun. Believe me they like it. My problem is we all live within 20 miles from each other and play on much nicer courses then most these kids tournaments.  Could just save a lot money and time just playing our courses.  I have given up trying to make that happen because a lot parents rather have metals given out.

You have to be careful about too many formal tournaments at a young age with kids . You don't want to be the kid winning every week and you don't want to be losing to that kid every week.  It causes issues for both kids.    If winning every week and it has become easy then it's time to move up or go somewhere where it harder to do.  You also shouldn't be last place every week either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

Does he understand that no one is looking at is kid playing an event with 5 kids from 6000 yards?  Does he also understand that winning isn't the most important thing in terms of recruitment?

Reminds me of Kramer in the Seinfeld episode beating up the kids in karate class.

False reality is what it is.  I don't even think it was 5800.  I just remember talking with the Dad and saying didn't I see you last week?  He was like yea my son won the Boys division.  I said you mean Patriot?

Like you mention the recruiting coach is going to say ok you won?  What was the strength of field, number of players, and the course info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

I know they like it and it can be a lot fun. Believe me they like it. My problem is we all live within 20 miles from each other and play on much nicer courses then most these kids tournaments.  Could just save a lot money and time just playing our courses.  I have given up trying to make that happen because a lot parents rather have metals given out.

Not sure of the ages, but why not just drop them all off at the course and come back 5 hours later.

5 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

Not sure of the ages, but why not just drop them all off at the course and come back 5 hours later

There under 10 so really not wise to leave them alone. Older kids is a different story but there are tons of good events for older kids.  

My older daughter had much larger playing fields when she was younger. My younger daughters ages seem to have a huge drop off made even worse with covid. It's too the point we just cut back doing tournaments and will hope numbers come back next year.  If it doesn't pick up might have to travel at more and try and more more FJT next year with the younger one.

20 hours ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

False reality is what it is.  I don't even think it was 5800.  I just remember talking with the Dad and saying didn't I see you last week?  He was like yea my son won the Boys division.  I said you mean Patriot?

Like you mention the recruiting coach is going to say ok you won?  What was the strength of field, number of players, and the course info.

And what did he shoot to win?  If a boy that age plays 5800, he should at least birdie every par 5.  Should be a 68 at a maximum on the score card.

Edited by heavy_hitter

20 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

There under 10 so really not wise to leave them alone. Older kids is a different story but there are tons of good events for older kids.  

My older daughter had much larger playing fields when she was younger. My younger daughters ages seem to have a huge drop off made even worse with covid. It's too the point we just cut back doing tournaments and will hope numbers come back next year.  If it doesn't pick up might have to travel at more and try and more more FJT next year with the younger one.

I wouldn't have a problem dropping a 10 year old off and leaving them.  Hind sight being 20/20 wish I would have instead of hanging out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

And what did he shoot to win?  If a boy that age plays 5800, he should at least birdie every par 5.  Should be a 68 at a maximum on the score card.

73 - Being 16 he shouldn't be in that division and then boasting about it on recruiting sites.  Hopefully, he gets called out.  We have enough Div 3 schools that would probably scoop him up.

He will be in the hurt locker once he is back at 7K yards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

73 - Being 16 he shouldn't be in that division and then boasting about it on recruiting sites.  Hopefully, he gets called out.  We have enough Div 3 schools that would probably scoop him up.

He will be in the hurt locker once he is back at 7K yards.

That is a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Like most tours, the quality of UA depends on your local hosts and competitors.  Around us US kids events sell out every week in the under 10 age divisions.  UA tour has some free stuff, name recognition that the kids like, and a points system that feeds into national tournaments.  It can be a great option if you have them nearby, even for the most competitive 11 & under.  After 12, most kids will go to state PGA, AJGA, etc.  Our state PGA has little to no real golfers competing under 11 because everyone is on US kids and UA for the yardages.

UA also opened a new age division for 2021, 9-11 year olds playing at about 2300.  Local US kids at age 9 stays at 1800, which is too short for the better players to continue developing.