Job offer in PHX ... looking for suggestions for a good family-friendly country club and community?

Qwiklap

Funny thing is -- I have done all the interviewing on Zoom, so I have no feel for the area. 

I have a family of 5 -- and my kids are elementary school age.  They love sports, and I want to keep them involved in golf, tennis and competitive swimming.  If I can get great public schools - that is a huge plus, but right now they are Catholic schools (so private is OK). 

I have been poking around on the internet -- Mesa (Las Sendas and Red Mountain Ranch particularly), and Scottsdale both look promising.  I would be working in the Tempe area.  Would need a 5 bed house (and in the $1.5 to 2.0M range).  We would love to build it to spec. I would love live in a place where we can ride around in golf carts for little errands and trips to the club house.

Any thoughts on some places to check out? -- or even some good internet resources where I can lean more about the neighborhoods. 

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

Neither Las Sendas or RMR would fit the bill and personally would never recommend those courses or locations.

Note:  the cart driving thing is limited - that's not really the way the Phx area is set up, except for a few places (not great either) or the snowbird communities.

Your far better off driving a bit - N. Scottsdale - depending on how far you are willing to drive of course?? 

3 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Neither Las Sendas or RMR would fit the bill and personally would never recommend those courses or locations.

Note:  the cart driving thing is limited - that's not really the way the Phx area is set up, except for a few places (not great either) or the snowbird communities.

Your far better off driving a bit - N. Scottsdale - depending on how far you are willing to drive of course?? 

Thank you for the input -- what is the issue with Las Sendas and RMR?  Bad courses?  Not family friendly?

Sucks about the cart thing -- definitely more of a "southern living" thing.

When you say North Scottsdale ... like Terravita?  It is like an extra 15 min or so commute to those areas. 

Edited by Qwiklap

55 minutes ago, Qwiklap said:

Thank you for the input -- what is the issue with Las Sendas and RMR?  Bad courses?  BOTH -significantly bad!!  Not family friendly? Yes - RMR is a 'very' old community; Las Sendas is a mix, but the place has never been family friendly imo.

Sucks about the cart thing -- definitely more of a "southern living" thing.  Yes - you will find that the 55 plus (or whatever it is) are the ones that this is prevalent because the communities are gated and off main streets, etc. But mostly - we just don't have that 'infrastructure' (maybe not the right term to use, but close)- we have to travel to run 'errands'

When you say North Scottsdale ... like Terravita?  It is like an extra 15 min or so commute to those areas.  Yes - Examples: Terravita, Silverleaf, Estancia, Mirabel, Desert Highlands, Troon CC 

3 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Thank you for the insight.  So Malaska can't save Sendas?  LOL

I got a DM saying the same thing -- North Scottsdale sounds like the place.  

Thanks -- I note that Whisper Rock (where all the pros play) is left off this map.  Is that because it is uber-exclusive? 

I just love hearing stories on Shotgun Start about Ken Tanagawa having the nickname "The Assassin" at Whisper Rock as he rolled the tour pros in cash games before he joined the Champions Tour. 

16 minutes ago, Qwiklap said:

Thanks -- I note that Whisper Rock (where all the pros play) is left off this map.  Is that because it is uber-exclusive? 

I just love hearing stories on Shotgun Start about Ken Tanagawa having the nickname "The Assassin" at Whisper Rock as he rolled the tour pros in cash games before he joined the Champions Tour. 

It's on the map - right near Terravita.  It is exclusive - invite only.

2 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

It's on the map - right near Terravita.  It is exclusive - invite only.

Ah sorry -- I am blind.  Thanks!

Whisper Rock you're going to need to know someone usually, ive heard recently a 7-800 person waitlist, and its more of a golf club, not much in the way of Social. Could have changed. Silverleaf is another option also. But can be tough also. Maybe DC Ranch. Will be very budget dependent. 

Ancala CC is very Family friendly although some dont love the course, but its also substantially cheaper than places like Silverleaf, Whisper Rock, DC Ranch 

Edited by HarringtonREI

4 minutes ago, HarringtonREI said:

Whisper Rock you're going to need to know someone usually, ive heard recently a 7-800 person waitlist. Could have changed. Silverleaf is another option also. But can be tough also. 

Ancala CC is very Family friendly although some dont love the course.

"Some"?  ...... you mean "most" -  It is an abysmal excuse for the already bad Dye courses.

It is FF, but also there is a lot of UN-FF as well.

Edited by puttnforthe8

8 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

"Some"?  ...... you mean "most" -  It is an abysmal excuse for the already bad Dye courses.

To each their own. I try not to steer someone away based on my own opinion, I'm sure theres plenty of people that love it. They most likely aren't golfWRX'rs though. But a lot of people out there don't carry the ball 350, and need an 8TX driver shaft. So WRX can be a little biased at times.... Anacala is a nice neighborhood and the CC aspect is family friendly. Its also all behind the gates so would fit the bill for driving in golf carts to and from home. Stuff the OP asked about. Whisper Rock I don't believe even allows women members. Could be wrong on that. But not exactly what id call family friendly. 

Silverleaf as well as DC Ranch would both be good options as you can certainly cruise around in a golf cart. You're looking at about 2Bills on Silverleaf, and around 150k on DC Ranch. 

Edited by HarringtonREI
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HarringtonREI said:

To each their own. I try not to steer someone away based on my own opinion, I'm sure theres plenty of people that love it. They most likely aren't golfWRX'rs though. But a lot of people out there don't carry the ball 350, and need an 8TX driver shaft. So WRX can be a little biased at times.... Anacala is a nice neighborhood and the CC aspect is family friendly. Its also all behind the gates so would fit the bill for driving in golf carts to and from home. Stuff the OP asked about. Whisper Rock I don't believe even allows women members. Could be wrong on that. But not exactly what id call family friendly. 

Whisper Rock absolutely allows women members, the waitlist is not 700-800 long either. You probably heard the incorrect information as they don’t have family membership, i.e., if a husband and wife both want to be members it is two different memberships.  The waitlist thing sounds completely made up. It likely comes from someone saying that something random like “they could have another 800 members if they wanted”. I know two people that have joined in the last handful of years and I can say with absolute certainty that one of them didn’t even inquire about it until a couple of years before joining. I’m glad to ask the other but I’m guessing it is the same. Neither are famous, PGA Tour players or athletes. 

Edited by azmx

I am not looking to join Whisper Rock for the record.  Just love hearing stories about Ken Tanagawa as a reinstated AM.

In terms of my actual question - what is a membership at places like DC Ranch, Estancia or Silverleaf run (feel free to DM me) - assuming I can get in.  Just trying to get an idea versus where I am at now.  

Seems like there is a wide gamut in The PHX metro, where as here in the DC area all the private clubs are high five figures to low 100s to join.

2 minutes ago, azmx said:

Whisper Rock absolutely allows women members, the waitlist is not 700-800 long either. You probably heard the incorrect information as they don’t have family membership, i.e., if a husband and wife wants be members it is two different memberships. 

Like I said could be wrong, it certainly has the reputation of having no women members. But it is most certainly a golf club. Not much in the way of social, restaurants, other CC typical activities. Based on a pretty high up person there saying there was a "waitlist of 7-800 people, and none of them have a chance of getting in", is what im basing it off of. You need invitation or serious sponsor. 

1 minute ago, Qwiklap said:

In terms of my actual question - what is a membership at places like DC Ranch, Estancia or Silverleaf run (feel free to DM me) - assuming I can get in.  Just trying to get an idea versus where I am at now.  

Seems like there is a wide gamut in The PHX metro, where as here in the DC area all the private clubs are high five figures to low 100s to join.

Take a look at this.

https://www.topscottsdalehomes.com/cost-of-scottsdale-golf-memberships/

1 minute ago, Qwiklap said:

I am not looking to join Whisper Rock for the record.  Just love hearing stories about Ken Tanagawa as a reinstated AM.

I sent you DM, DC ranch is in the 120-140K range if I recall, and I believe silverleaf was near 200, maybe 250K, not sure how hard either are to get into. You wont find a house directly in silverleaf for 2mil either. Maybe DC Ranch, but possibly not in the actual country club section. Most likely will be north of 2Mil in DC ranch also. 

3 minutes ago, HarringtonREI said:

Like I said could be wrong, it certainly has the reputation of having no women members. But it is most certainly a golf club. Not much in the way of social, restaurants, other CC typical activities. Based on a pretty high up person there saying there was a "waitlist of 7-800 people, and none of them have a chance of getting in", is what im basing it off of. You need invitation or serious sponsor. 

There are two things you have to have for sure. A sponsor and somewhere other than here as your primary residence 

Thank you all!

On 1/19/2021 at 6:12 PM, HarringtonREI said:

Silverleaf as well as DC Ranch would both be good options as you can certainly cruise around in a golf cart. You're looking at about 2Bills on Silverleaf, and around 150k on DC Ranch. 

Pretty much any course you could drive a cart to....the errands, not so much.  

Edited by puttnforthe8

I would check out FireRock in Fountain Hills which is east of central Scottsdale.

Nice homes, very good school district, a slightly shorter commute to Tempe, and a much lower initiation fee than the North Scottsdale clubs, particularly if you are under 45.

You also do not have to reside inside the FireRock community if you don’t want to; gives you more options if you want to build.

My parents live in DC Ranch. A very playable golf course for a wide variety of skill levels. I believe their membership has skewed younger lately as well. They also have very good practice facilities, including a double-ended range with a separate short game area at the far end which isn't used too much ... it's across the 10th hole from Tom Lehman's house!

54 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

My parents live in DC Ranch. A very playable golf course for a wide variety of skill levels. I believe their membership has skewed younger lately as well. They also have very good practice facilities, including a double-ended range with a separate short game area at the far end which isn't used too much ... it's across the 10th hole from Tom Lehman's house!

Yes its a decent track, only complaint i've heard is since they only have 18 holes, can get a tad crowded in very peak times. But thats about it. Beautiful community with a lot to offer. Ive heard the same at Silverleaf however also.